The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Courtier

It is the beginning of things to come. I have not reviewed this, however, I am sure many have. In the past, how often was Princess Margaret and her family on the balcony out of the total outings. The whole family will pop up from time to time, but only the big events. The family was pretty small in 1952. HW, DoE, PoW, PR, QM and P Marg. They grew as any family headed by and 86 year old. HM had 4 children and they each had 2 children.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but the subject of trimming the size of the royal family prompted an interesting question. Someone asked me if it was true that the government restricted Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward to just two children apiece so that royal family didn't get too big.

I have no problem with the Queen limiting the amount of people on the balcony with her. In fact, it might have been a relief that Edward and Sophie were free to visit Philip in the hospital while the Wales family joined the Queen. But I hope that the general public doesn't come away with weird ideas about people getting "kicked out" of the royal family.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

It's a bittersweet moment in many ways; in the midst of great jubilation it's also the passing of the torch to the next generation. It brings a lump to my throat.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I accept that this is what the Queen wanted, I agree with the concept of a slimmed down Royal Family and, as a Camilla supporter, I'm pleased that at the acknowledgement of her acceptance as a member of the Royal Family.

I remain disappointed that all of the Queen's children could not have been on the balcony with her. If the focus was going to be on succession then it would have been apporopriate for just the Queen, Charles and William (withour Camilla, Kate and Harry).

I think the Queen's cousins have given her incredible support over the past 60 years but if there had to be a slimmed down appearance then I would have preferred either the Queen, her children, grandchildren and their spouses or the just the Queen and her children.
My sentiments exactly. It would have been an amzing end to an amazing weekend if the entire family was there, but it was not to be. Does this mean Queen's Official Birthday Appearances will also be trimmed down in future? I hope not.

One thing I fail to understand is this need to "meet the Heir". It was about the Queen, and I thought it would have been a good time to thank the entire family for their service - they all do good deeds, after all. Anyone who doesn't know that Charles will be the next king needs to move out from under their rock!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but the subject of trimming the size of the royal family prompted an interesting question. Someone asked me if it was true that the government restricted Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward to just two children apiece so that royal family didn't get too big.
Can't believe this in a million years. Besides, Sophie would have had three children if she hadn't lost (at least) one that we know of.

Quote:
There's a young girl and boy behind The Queen next to The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, anyone know who they are?
Earl and COuntess of Ulster (though they're not as young as they look!)

Quote:
Just a small side note - looking at the pictures from today, I thought that Zara looked pregnant....or the dress was just not fitting.
I believe it's just her figure, maybe the muscles she uses in riding horses (which i know NOTHING about); she looked 'pregnant' on her wedding day too.

The QUeen looked lovely, but so sad during the 'God Save The Queen'; you wanted to give her a cuddle. Kate looked like she was born to do the role. Sophie looked very elegant (and Louise so cute). Good to see James visiting his grandfather in hospital. Do feel sorry a bit for Harry; he's moving down the 'pecking order' and as someone said, one day he'll be in the Duke of York's position, and his children will not be wanted, just like no one (except us TRUE royal watchers who understand the process) seems to want Beatrice and Eugenie now. Just think back to Princess Alexandra, also a daughter of a younger Prince, who was seen in tiara etc from a very young age, helping out the QUeen. We'll be lucky to see the two York sisters in a tiara for their weddings, and that might be it. I expect Sarah's tiara, which was just lovely. WHoops, going off thread here...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Serene Highness

Obviously, the Queen personally decided to reduce the number of family members on the balcony, but it begs the question: Why this celebration? The extended family didn't even get to attend the lunch.

The Diamond Jubilee is a once in a lifetime (or several lifetimes) event. The Queen's children have loyally served the monarchy and each in their own way have paid a price for it. It just seems as though they could have gradually pared down appearances. It would have seemed more graceful to me.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Serene Highness

I finally found an article with a photo of Princess Anne. I think all the ladies looked great (the gentlemen, too, but it is easier for them). I will say I think Camilla's hat was a tad too big, but the color and style was terrific. Princess Anne chose a great color for her and I liked the style. Sophie, Beatrice, and Eugenie looked elegant and very classy. I'm not sure about Zara's hat, but the Brits seem to love unusual hats.
Queen's Jubilee 2012: Kate Middleton dazzles in lace | Mail Online
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Serene Highness

I think Prince Harry will always be of special interest to most people. Partly due to his mother's celebrity, and partly due to his own natural grace and charisma. Moreover, he and William are very close, which, unfortunately, is not the case between Andrew and Charles. I also think that there will be a lesser interest in Beatrice and Eugenie because of their mother's celebrity. However, I do see Lady Louise leading a much quieter life, mainly because her parents do not attract the same attention that Diana and Fergie did. Actually, Lady Louise might end up having an easier time of it.

Sorry to go off topic, but the jubilee is not only about looking back, but looking ahead.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Obviously, the Queen personally decided to reduce the number of family members on the balcony, but it begs the question: Why this celebration? The extended family didn't even get to attend the lunch.
There were other lunches and dinners. The Jubilee Weekend featured the queen as the Head of her dynasty, as the reigning souverain. It was to show off to the subjects that they have a queen to be proud of and that this queen has a son who will one day be king himself. A matter of continuity. All others in the monarchy are meant to serve - nobody is a peer to the queen except her son and his heirs in a way and we've seen the Prince paying allegiance to his mother at Caernavon quite some times in the reports of the last days: an important point. For Charles (and then William and Harry) plus their wifes are the first and mot notable servants of the monarch who herself is the servant of her people. At a moment like this, all other, even the most noble subjects, fade into the baclground for a while. This is how a dynasty works.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Serene Highness

Interesting point, Kataryn. thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I loved the joking between Catherine and Harry. Looked like they were sharing a private joke, and judging by William's facial expressions in some of the pictures, possibly at his expense . I think these three get along quite well, which allows for a very easy atmosphere at family gatherings and public appearances such as this. Laughter can ease the tension, and I'd imagine after a full weekend of being in the spotlight, there's a good deal of tension and fatigue all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Harry said how much he's always wanted a sister, and now he's enjoying it.
He's definitely milking it for all that it's worth, which is great. having a sibling to joke with is a nice feeling.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Nobility

I was really dissapointed too. Does anyone knowwhat are the plans for the official birthday on Monday?
I understand this was all about showing people the new monarchy, but everyone knows who will inherit the throne anyway! Does this mean less members of the family will be involoved in royal duties? i suppose they can only divide the civil list money between so many people....
Whatever the reason, I really hope this doesn't become tradition. I think all the family members who helped The Queen reach 60 amazing years of service should have been up there!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess View Post
I was really dissapointed too. Does anyone knowwhat are the plans for the official birthday on Monday?
The Queen's official birthday is being celebrated on Saturday 16th June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess View Post
Does this mean less members of the family will be involoved in royal duties? i suppose they can only divide the civil list money between so many people....
Other members won't decrease their number of engagements until Harry and William become full time royals. There are only two royals on the civil list, HM and Prince Philip.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Courtier

Question - who is the lady talking to the Lady Sarah Chatto during the Thanksgiving Service?

Photo from Getty Images
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Courtier

But will they all go on the balcony as per usual or was yesterday the beginning of a new practice during the rest of the Queen's reign?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley
But will they all go on the balcony as per usual or was yesterday the beginning of a new practice during the rest of the Queen's reign?
As per usual I believe. There has been no announcement to say otherwise :)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Lady Sarah is talking to or sitting next to Julia Oglivy, daughter in law of Princess Alexandra of Kent. She is married to James, son of Princess Alexandra and the late Sir Angus Olgivy.

Relation to the Queen is below:

George V > George, Duke of Kent > Princess Alexandra of Kent > James
George V > George VI > Queen Elizabeth > Charles

So that makes them cousins, once or twice removed (I never get the removed part). James was born the year of the four royal births: James, Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen and Prince Edward. There is a great picture of the four them for their 30th or 40th birthdays.

It was great to see the extended family at the various events and lovely to see them interacting with each other.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Commoner

I very much enjoyed the Diamond Jubilee Festivities for Queen Elizabeth II. I was so sad that Prince Philip could not be there for all of it. But she was wonderful and worthy of celebrating. I was very touched to watch her receive the cheers and well wishes of the crowds. However, I was disappointed in the obvious way they used her Diamond Jubilee, a celebration of 60 years of Her Majesty's reign, to promote Prince Charles and and the Duchess of Cornwall. I felt that it was very uncomfortable to have The Queen have to share the spotlight with Camilla in the carriage procession back to Buckingham Palace. This should have been The Queen's moment. It should not have been shared with a person who dredges up controversy for so many. It would have been much sweeter to have Prince Harry ride with the Queen in place of Prince Philip and they could have kept to the three carriages as originally planned. I was also very disappointed in the exclusion of the rest of the Queen's immediate and extended family in the balcony appearance. The balcony seemed empty. It lacked that festive and celebratory atmosphere that the Trooping the Colour gives. I know that the Queen has the final say on everything, but I am sure Buckingham Palace is regularly and strongly lobbied by Clarence House to promote Charles for the good of the monarchy. I am also aware that Charles is highly in favor of streamlining the monarchy. That does not need to include streamlining your family out of your celebratory life events. I think that was hurtful. I don't think it would have crossed anyone's mind that Her Majesty's family should not be with her at such a joyous occasion. I would rather have seen them keep The Queen in the spotlight instead of trying to create an afterglow for Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall and have seen the balcony filled with all of her family to celebrate this historic moment.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well the sign is clear : the next reign is getting irremediably closer. We are now in a transition phase.
How brillant it was, these celebrations had, imo, a far more serious and grave aspect than the joyous golden jubilee. The absence of the DOE and the sometimes exhausted figure of the Queen didn't help to dissipate the sad feeling that we're now seeing the final phase of Elizabeth II 's reign.
I absolutely agree and felt the same way watching it. This was a very different Jubliee from previous ones. There was a definite purpose in her decision to have only her immediate heirs and not the rest of the family on the final day and the overall feeling I had watching her was that this was more emotional for her. At times it seemed like she was taking it all in with a hint of sadness. My feeling was that we are definitely seeing the final phase of her reign and she is preparing herself, her family and her subjects to the inevitable conclusion.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps in lieu of imposing so many personal opinions on how the balcony scene and other events should have best been celebrated we should listen to the queen. Listern with ears and eyes. The Queen is very astute and incredibly experienced in what she is doing and who she is. She is not likely to make a big announcement "that now I am slowing down" but rather her actions will tell us all we need to know. It was not poor planning nor strange coincidences that only Prince Charles and his family were on the balcony or that Charles and Camilla rode in the carriage with her. We might just have witnessed the in-official turning over of the crown. The official will come sometime in the future but the practical one has started. Camilla is now an intrinsic part of the royal family and Charles has been in training since childhood for the day that is coming closer. The Queen is also very practical and would probably like the transition to be smooth and seemless. She is very aware of the opinion that William should take over after her but with Charles smoothly transitioning in to his future role under her reign than when the time comes and he will be the King he will just seem as the natural transition. People will already be used to him in a more official role as the Queens successor.