The Diamond Jubilee Luncheon and Dinner for the World's Monarchs: May 18, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression Windsor was only for reigning sovereigns, at least that is what keeps being reported.
I've seen similar reports too, bit it's unlikely the (former) Greek and Romanian Monarchs, as well as the pretender to Serbian Throne don't attend.
Otherwise, they will probably attend the diner hosted by the Prince of Wales alone.

Is there a list of which monarchs will be attending the luncheon/dinner hosted by the Prince of Wales

Is there a list of which monarchs will be attending the luncheon/dinner hosted by the Prince of Wales

Nope. It's a champagne dinner hosted at BP, the lunch is hosted by HM at Windsor. The dinner looks to be a private event as it's not listed on the engagements list whereas the lunch is.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik will be in the UK on the 18th- 19th. Frederik is regent, with his brother preparing for his daughter's christening.
In the Netherlands nothing is on their royal calendar stating whether they're coming or not.
The King and Queen of Norway will attend, as well Carl Gustaf and Silvia.

TM The Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan as well as HM Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands and other Crowned Heads of Europe and abroad.

confirmed: William and Kate will be present at the Sovereign Luncheon on May 18 at Windsor with all the reigning monarqs of the world. Fantastic news. BK just confirmed on theirwebsite.

confirmed: William and Kate will be present at the Sovereign Luncheon on May 18 at Windsor with all the reigning monarqs of the world. Fantastic news. BK just confirmed on theirwebsite.

Great!
Does anyone know if the Sovereign Luncheon will be aired on tv online?

I doubt it. There could be a pleasant surprise, but I wouldn't expect anything other than some still pictures and maybe tape of arrivals and mingling before or after the meal.

It is not normal in Britain for things like this to be televised.

We might get to see some arrivals - like the dinner the night before William's wedding - some photos.

Any word if William and Kate are attending the dinner? Otherwise I'll ask my contacts see what they know.

Any word if William and Kate are attending the dinner? Otherwise I'll ask my contacts see what they know.

Dinner? I thought it was just lunch (though if 'The Telegraph' is to be believed, we may see a rather white-tie-ish affair with all the jewels they're hinting at). Yeah, I'm just a little perplexed :ermm:.

Dinner? I thought it was just lunch (though if 'The Telegraph' is to be believed, we may see a rather white-tie-ish affair with all the jewels they're hinting at). Yeah, I'm just a little perplexed :ermm:.
So did I till now

He is also thought to be among those invited to a champagne dinner given by Prince Charles the same evening at Buckingham Palace.

So I asked and no, William and Kate will not be at the dinner from what we know as of today.

Bahrain and Swaziland should have developed diplomatic colds.

Bahrain and Swaziland should have developed diplomatic colds.
That would have been the prudent thing to do.
I wonder how many of his wives is King Mswati allowed to bring; the one that recently fled the palace is unlikely to attend though.

I wonder how many of his wives is King Mswati allowed to bring; the one that recently fled the palace is unlikely to attend though.

I hadn't heard about that. Royal brides trying to escape their husbands has become a bit of a trend lately.

I hadn't heard about that. Royal brides trying to escape their husbands has become a bit of a trend lately.
You can learn a bit more about the incident from this post.
To put it succinctly, King Mswati's long-suffering sixth wife fled from her husband, apparently tired of years of emotional and physical abuse. She left the palace under the pretence of visiting her parents, and disappeared somewhere on the way (presumably, of her own free will).

Maybe Mswati is like President Zuma and keeps his wives on a rotation schedule when it comes to official travel, although given how many wives Mswati has if that were the case most of them would never see the light of day so maybe they draw straws and the loser has to travel with him.

I was waiting for something along that line to happen, although I do wonder if Sofia's cancellation hasn't got more to do with recent domestic family issues and less to do with a future visit to Gibraltar by Edward and Sophie.

I could be wrong, but the Queen hasn't been able to visit Gibraltar for over 50 years in large part so as not to upset Spain. This is despite the Gibraltarians being among HM's most loyal subjects with a deep respect for her. The people of Gibraltar do not want to be Spanish, they want to be British and that should be respected. How sad that such a non-issue should prevent Queen Sofia's attendance this week.

Indeed. Especially since Sofia is one of the closest relatives of not only the Queen, but also Prince Philip.
The Queen's last visit to Gibraltar was made was made on 10 May 1954.

The El Pais article states that it was the government who stated that it wouldn't be appropriate for her to attend, it's not her personal choice.

The King wasn't going anyway, that could've sufficed as some sort of signal of discontent if one was really needed. Given Sofia has fairly close family links to the British royals, I can't understand what possible benefit this decision has for the Spanish government. British policy towards Gibraltar is set and has been for many years now. Throwing the toys out of the pram isn't going to change that. All this does is disappoint Sofia and the Queen/DoE personally.

It's the people of Gibraltar I feel sorry for. Their sovereign has been unable to visit them for almost 60 years as the British government tries not to upset the Spanish government, but they're going to go out of their way to be offended anyway, so why not send HM to Gibraltar herself? I have no doubt she would love to go, as all the royals do with Gibraltar.

Rather a last minute cancellation as many of the guests are arriving in London today.

In this case the problem is not only on the Sovereignty of Gibraltar and the British Government... the problem is a direct conflict with maritime borders between Gibraltar and Spain, which has caused many disputes, including arrests and police confrontations. Yesterday meetings between Gibraltar and Spanish fishermen broke and certainly in the coming days are going to be conflicts.

Queen Sofia can not be partying in London, while spanish fishermen are in danger of losing their jobs and livelihoods of their families, and risk being arrested by police of Gibraltar.

She was going to be partying, until she decided it would look bad. I'm sure she'd love to actually be there.

Peter Hunt, the BBC Royal Correspondant, has said on his Twitter page that Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco have confirmed their attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom