The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the lovely pictures of luncheon and dinner parties.
Every family be it Royal or not has some kind of scandal connected with their lives.
Newspapers like the DM love to create situations and are very disrespectful sometimes.
I loved Charlene´s pink dress. For me the best dressed.
Thrilled to bits to see my darlings King Constatine and Queen Anne Marie.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM

How come none of the Russian Royals were invited even though they have not reigned for years some are related to the Queen.Nice gesture. What does everyone think?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post
How come none of the Russian Royals were invited even though they have not reigned for years some are related to the Queen.Nice gesture. What does everyone think?
I have no answer for you but I wonder if the Russian royals are invited by any european royal family
Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
We don't really know whether they were invited or not. All reigning Monarchs certainly were invited (although some didn't attend), and it looked as though quite a few former Monarchs (Romania, Bulgaria, Greece) and pretenders (Serbia) were too. It is thus unlikely none of the Russian pretenders were actually invited, especially since they are pretty closely related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
I have no answer for you but I wonder if the Russian royals are invited by any European royal family
Not very often, but sometimes they are, especially if the event has any relevance with Russia, or is a major royal gathering. For example, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna attended the wedding of Prince Albert and Charlene of Monaco.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Majesty

Spletnik -Jubilee luncheon

Spletnik -Prince Charles' official dinner
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness

Apparently, the Queen of Swaziland has never heard nor understood this simple maxim of fashion:

Perfection is "simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements".
Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
All world monarchs were invited, if they aren't there they chose not to come.

Apparently they [The Queen & Prince Philip] were in attendance, all reports say they were there. They probably arrived away from other guests and didn't get photographed. They'd had enough of that at lunch.
I posted the official list guest list from Buckingham Palace, I think it's a few pages back, and the Queen and Prince Philip were not in attendance at the dinner last night. I believe the remained at Windsor to take part in Saturdays military review.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Here's the thing with the British Royals they're a little bit snobbish when it comes to their European relations. Maybe snobbish is a harsh word, but they do slightly distance themselves from their royal relations. That dates back to George V's reign when WWI broke out and the royal family's strong German roots and even links to Russia became a liability. George V had the family name changed to Windsor in an attempt to re-brand the family as non-German and basically cut off the German and later the Russian relations. To this day, the British Royals really only associate themselves with royal families who were either neutral or on the allied side during the wars.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's part of the issue I have with inviting ex-royals, where and when do you draw the line? Should the Russian, German, French, Portugese 'royals' be invited? Should we expect to see Pavlos and Chantal at a potential future celebration of the silver jubilee of King William V?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
That's part of the issue I have with inviting ex-royals, where and when do you draw the line? Should the Russian, German, French, Portugese 'royals' be invited? Should we expect to see Pavlos and Chantal at a potential future celebration of the silver jubilee of King William V?
I was amused by ex-King Constantine of Greece. He certainly isn't backwards at coming forwards. For the official picture there he was, seated in pride of place, in the front row along with Queen Elizabeth when "real" royals were standing in rows behind him.

I know that ex-King Michael of Romania was sitting in the front row too but that gentleman is over 90 years old so I wouldn't begrudge him a seat .
Old 05-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I was amused by ex-King Constantine of Greece. He certainly isn't backwards at coming forwards. For the official picture there he was, seated in pride of place, in the front row along with Queen Elizabeth when "real" royals were standing in rows behind him.
I know that ex-King Michael of Romania was sitting in the front row too but that gentleman is over 90 years old so I wouldn't begrudge him a seat .
All former Monarchs - King Michael of Romania, King Constantine of Greece and King Simeon of Bulgaria - were seated in the most prominent places of the front row.
The only exception was Crown Prince Alexander II who was in the third row, but then he is just a pretender (unlike the other three, he never actually reigned).
The sitting arrangements were made long before the actual photoshoot; when the Monarchs entered the room, they took their places which were marked by flags of their respective countries; King Constantine thus merely occupied the place the Queen had found fit for him.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
All former Monarchs - King Michael of Romania, King Constantine of Greece and King Simeon of Bulgaria - were seated in the most prominent places of the front. The only exception was Crown Prince Alexander II who was in the third row, but then he is just a pretender (unlike the other three, he never actually reigned).
The sitting arrangements were made long before the actual photoshoot; when the Monarchs entered the room, they took their places which were marked by flags of their respective countries; King Constantine thus merely occupied the place the Queen had found fit for him.
In addition to that, Constantine was seated next to his sister-in-law, Margarethe of Denmark. His placement makes a lot more sense when you consider that.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I think they were pretty much seated according to the dates they accended the throne, regardless of if they still had their throne. Once a king always a king. Both Michael and Simeon would have been on their thrones longer than QEII had WWII and the Soviet occupation not ended ther reigns .
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Courtier

yes...they were seated according to the date of the beginning of their respective reigns...longest reigned monarchs up front...

http://www.yuko2ch.net/mako/makok/src/1337386177232.jpg
Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You must have seen information as to who was invited. Could you please provide the site reference. I have only come across who chose to attend, not who was invited.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just wonder how the Greeks, facing the tremendous difficulties that we've all seen, would feel about the fact that the King they got rid of is still being invited to lavish dinners which are specifically for sovereigns. He's not a sovereign anymore. The Greek people face utter destitution while he's being treated to dinner at Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace etc., as if he were still their King.

I have nothing against him personally, I'm just using him as an example. I just think if I were Greek it would bug me a bit.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Commoner

Why? The Greeks should worry about what their political elite do not how their former Head of State is treated or not at Windsor Castle. He was a Head of State, he's entitled to be treated according to that - at least at royal courts - and that's how he, the Romanian and Bulgarians Kings were treated yesterday.

The Greeks, now, are worried with real problems not with royal issues.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Thanks to everyone for explaining how the seating arrangements were decided upon. !
Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

But the Greeks, I believe, have always been touchy about Constantine. They refuse to give him a passport while he continues to style himself as King of the Hellenes.

It's like the rest of the royal world is saying, well you silly Greeks did vote to get rid of him, but we're just going to pretend that none of that unsavoury bit happened and treat him the same as all the proper reigning monarchs.

It just looks bad, to me at least.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the British monarchy pretty much goes with the philosophy of "once a monarch always a monarch". Not so very different than former American presidents still being called President. If the Greeks were to kick up a stink right now about their former kings attendance at Windsor I don't think they would get much sympathy from the British population given the Greeks domestic turmoil..