The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

protocol

Does anyone know if there is an official protocol when standing on the red carpet with the Queen?
Thanks in advance for any information

Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Gentry

Elizabeth Hasselbeck (from the talk show The View) and her NFL Football husband were also attendees. What an odd guest list. There were a lot of sports-athletes. Here is the official guest list:

Guest List for the State Dinner in Honor of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

I thought the First Lady looked quite lovely (as she always does)--she could've used a necklace, I do agree-but anything she wore was just going to look insignificant next to Queen Mary's treasure trove that Her Majesty was wearing, so that could be why she went with "less is more". As for the Queen, she always looks appropriate to the event, but for those complaining about her "lackluster" attire---well, age has a way of doing that to a person. I was looking through a book about the Queen and saw her in those GLORIOUS gowns from the 50's and 60's (those Norman Hartnell gowns in particular) and she was so stunning, regal, elegant, classic and just beautiful. Now, she's much older and less inclined to go for the wow factor (and why should she--she's got all those diamonds to do that!) but I think she looked wonderful.

Here is a link to one of my favorite portraits of HM Queen Elizabeth II (in formal wear)
http://www.solarnavigator.net/embass...d_of_state.jpg

but, it is hard to choose just one.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Courtier

I wonder if the royal couple are glad that the trip is about done and they are heading home for some rest. That trip seemed like it was a full schedule leaving very little time for rest. I know even at my age I would welcome the end of the trip as I started home. She may need a vacation from such a long trip.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Commoner

there are few nice photos on the White House site.

Welcome to the White House
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Courtier

The Queen tours NASA..

BBC NEWS | UK | Queen visits Nasa base on US tour
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
What would you have preferred, Henri? I don't exactly understand what you mean...are you saying it was a boring look to you?

...perhaps she was being courteous to Mrs. Bush, who can't exactly out-glitz the queen in a tiara and Q. Mary's gems. LOL.
With fantasy-less I mean that the Queen, for a State Visit to one of the most important nations in the world, and Britain's best friend, choose an old, dozens time seen ill-fitting, meaningless gown with the (not-surprising) Girls of Great Britain Diademe.

That is what I mean with fantasy-less. In that sense Mrs. Bush did far better work with her elegant Oscar de la Renta evening gown. This is not the first time. Where her French hosts received La Reine with all possible pomp and circumstance at the Palais de l'Elysée, the always impeccable and also over 70 years old Première Dame, Madame Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel managed it to outshine the Queen. Without any jewel, but with an eye-catching flaming red gown of fantastic cut and a prefect révérence at the Cour d'Honneur.

That is what I meant with fantasy-less. "Ah... let me wear that formless table-cloth. It does not matter: the glitz of the diamonds will compensate for it". Well, Ma'am: it does not work that way. Not for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Fotobanka isifa image service
Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was a little disappointed in the Queen's gown. Although I know she's an older lady and can't wear the beautiful dresses of the 1950s, I would have liked to have seen her in something with more of waist, or more color, in the evening. (But I did like her choice of the tiara, and I loved her suit earlier in the day.)

Mrs. Bush looked wonderful, but I think she's a lovely lady, anyway.

And I just don't know what to say about the President's speech. (Probably a good thing I wasn't there!)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Courtier

more pics..

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...%7c0&p=7&tag=2
Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have some photos of the Queen at Goddard Space Flight Center. My husband is on a Goddard mailing list, and one of the other people on the list took some really impressive photos of the Queen and forwarded them to the other list members. I e-mailed the photographer to ask for permission to post the photos here, and she very kindly said "Feel free."

Courtesy of Valerie Potter, Goddard Space Flight Center, and posted with permission:

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

The Queen looks excedingly well. I always liked the way her mother and her dressed. These fresh colours makes her looks younger and jolly.

Vanesa.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Nobility

Elspeth,
Thank you for posting the wonderful pictures of QEII visiting the Goddard Space Flight Center. She looks fantastic!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

She really does, doesn't she? Especially when she was just inches away from all those cameras. It's sort of funny how the Queen Mother was a professional granny when she was 10 years younger than the Queen is now, but the Queen is still pretty much carrying on in the way she's been doing for years.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Elspeth the pics are great! I work literally 8 minutes from Goddard (pass it every day going home) but I got a new gig and didn't get the opportunity to try to catch the Queen and Duke in any of their travels(Jamestown and DC).

I don't think the new boss would have appreciated a leave request stating THE QUEEN IS IN TOWN AND I MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING DAYS OFF

Thanks to all who posted pics!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm wondering if perhaps the Queen is having back trouble again. When she arrived at the dinner, there was a limo with her standard on it, but she arrived in a large black SUV, and all of the subsequent trips she made were in the SUV, which I think would be easier for her to get out of, since she wouldn't have to nearly double over to get out.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to say that she is looking in great form. And I LOVE the most recent hat with the pink flowers. Beautiful.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

I love the Queen's outfit, and her hats are always beautiful (she makes me want to wear hats like that, but alas, I live in a very small town where women wear baseball caps....... Anyway, love the pictures, she looks wonderful and that color is fantastic for her complexion--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's nice to see the Queen taking an interest in science, or at least publicly supporting it; last year there was a quite successful Science at the Palace event where children were invited to Buckingham Palace to meet scientists and see the sort of things that they did, and now she and the Duke took time to go out to GSFC to have a look at what's going on there. Back in the early 1980s Margaret Thatcher visited Goddard, but I don't think Tony Blair's made much effort to do so; he seems to have about the same ideas about science that George Bush does. I'm glad the Queen and Duke are trying to fill the gap left by our clueless politicians.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Royal Highness

As a footnote reference in regards on how well the Queen looks for a lady in her eight decade, she was born in 1926. Same as actress Marylin Monroe; President Fidel Castro; actors Jerry Lewis, Leslie Nielsen; Playboy mgazine creator Hugh Hefner; actor-director-producer Mel Brooks among others.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, president bush, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, state visit, united states