Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to the USA - May 3-8, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the first-hand account, Jennifer! Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get home.

Jen H said:
Hi,

My husband, my daughter and I are up visiting my family in Richmond, and we went to Capitol Square yesterday to greet Her Majesty and Prince Phillip as they arrived in Richmond for the address to the General Assembly. We had an excellent view as they walked from the Executive Mansion to the Capitol. I got some excellent pictures of Prince Phillip waving at us:) . The Queen was on the other side of the path greeting VIP's, so most of my pictures show mainly her hat (and a quite stylish one I thought!). It was truly a thrilling experience, and I am so glad I decided to go ahead and go down. I had a lot of fears that the crowd would be so heavy that we wouldn't see anything at all, but we truly got lucky with the spot we choose, off to the side of the steps of the capitol, where most of the crowd had congregated. I will have to wait until I get home Sunday to try to post my pictures, as I am on my mother's computer, and she only has a dialup connection. When I printed them this morning I was really amazed at how well they turned out. If anyone else has a chance to go out and greet the royal couple while they are here, I urge you to do so. It was a long (and sometimes wet) wait, but it was so worth it in the end. It's a memory I'll always cherish.

Jennifer

Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh
4 MAY 2007: Visiting historic sites in Virginia and meeting the state's dignitaries to mark 400 years of Jamestown settlement
Summary: In Pictures and Timeline

Enjoy! :flowers:

Good news and bad news. Good news first. I saw Her Majesty twice. My mother and I saw both Her Majesty and Prince Philip in Richmond and I was very much moved and then we went down to Williamsburg and saw her at the College of William & Mary. I had an excellent view of Her Majesty (both where she was sitting and then when she went up on the balcony to wave.) When she waved at the crowd we went wild. It was a truly moving experience for me and while that I will no doubt see as one of the greatest of my life for years to come.

Now the bad news. I got to Richmond and my camera's battery was dead and I didn't have the charger so I didn't get the pictures I promised, but there are lots both here and all over every news site imaginable.

If any of you ever have the chance to see Her Majesty I highly recomend doing whatever you can to make it happen. It's truly magical.

Thanks for the pictures,Casiraghi Trio!
Can some one post the link to the official portrait of the Queen that was mentioned in this thread?

I've heard that the Queen has visited Kentucky unofficially many times,to buy horses.Does anyone know if she has a horse running the Derby?

Derby starts in 15 minutes!
the Dallas Morning News has a good article about the state dinner coming up. couldn't find it on the web site so i'll quote from my personal copy of the paper. heading: "mind your manners mr. president" page 12A
the white house is all atwitter (their word) over monday's visit by the Queen. everyone is wondering how it will be when texas swagger meets british prim. dinner attire is white tie and tails, the First and probable only one of this administration. bush was said not to be too happy about it but bowed to the bigger power of his wife.
WH has issued an etiquette book (for instance when the Queen stops eating everyone does)
*over 7,000 guest expected to greet her on the south lawn in the morning.
*21 gun salute
*US Army old guard Fife and Drum Corps will parade in uniforms patterned after those worn in the Continental army
*dinner will have 13 tables, using the clinton china which is gold rimmed with a vignette of the WH

I dont believe that she owns one of the runners, that would have made the news for sure. I do think she owns a large property in Virginia that she breeds horses on. Does anyone know if she is staying there or perhaps at the British embassy?

The Queen looks fabulous. her hats to die for-lime green and hot pink
oj simpson is there YUCK the idea of him being within a 1,000 miles of the Queen makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:
Those springy colors look wonderful on her. she should wear brighter colors more often. They are very flattering to her coloring.

bbb said:
The Queen looks fabulous. her hats to die for-lime green and hot pink
oj simpson is there YUCK the idea of him being within a 1,000 miles of the Queen makes my skin crawl.

All the gossip shows were hypothesizing that Larry Birkhead would take baby Dannielynn to the Derby (IMO, who would take a baby to the Derby?) and they might meet the Queen. What a crazy idea.

The race was great and I'm glad Her Majesty had a chance to be there.

Does anyone know who the women, with the sour look on her face, standing behind Her Majesty? She kind of looks like Susan Lucci; also, the woman is glaring at the Queen, which is very strange.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Does anyone know who the women, with the sour look on her face, standing behind Her Majesty? She kind of looks like Susan Lucci;

That is Susan Lucci.

GlitteringTiaras said:
:ohmy:

It is? She looks awful, and why is she giving the Queen such a look?

Are we talking about the same person? Susan Lucci is the one behind Prince Philip, and she's wearing a black dress and black hat.

OMG it is la lucci, whats a soap opera actress doing in the same box with the Queen? i didn't see any real celebrities in the tv coverage, all 2nd or 3rd tier tv people.

bbb said:
OMG it is la lucci, whats a soap opera actress doing in the same box with the Queen? i didn't see any real celebrities in the tv coverage, all 2nd or 3rd tier tv people.

Why can't she be in the same box as the Queen? There were a ton of other people there in that picture who ordinarily wouldn't be with her, but they are. Why single her out?

misselle said:
Thanks for the pictures,Casiraghi Trio!
Can some one post the link to the official portrait of the Queen that was mentioned in this thread?

I've heard that the Queen has visited Kentucky unofficially many times,to buy horses.Does anyone know if she has a horse running the Derby?

You are most welcome for the pictures. The Queen did not have any horses racing in the Derby.
:flowers:

P.S. And yes, that was Susan Lucci "Erica Kane" behind her. hahaha

GlitteringTiaras said:
:ohmy:

It is? She looks awful, and why is she giving the Queen such a look?

Like any TV soap opera diva, she can't stand being upstaged. :rolleyes:

It looks that she, La Lucci, knows she is being on camera as long as she stays within the same frame as the Queen, so no doubt she is doing her look-at-what-I'm-doing antics just to get the tabloid ink spilling out next week. That look she gave Her Majesty behind her back seems to be quite tasteless. Thus, I agree, what are TV's daytime programing pseudo celebrities doing in the same box as the Queen?!?! If it was the President and his family La Lucci won't be that close. Sorry to be a little crude, but if TV divas are going to be near a Head of State in any televised event, they should be on their best behavior and hold on to that need to make faces behind the Head of State's back.

Correction, Susan is wearing a white dress. But it doesn't look like she's even looking at the Queen. She looks like she's looking down and past her, which given their position....would be the track.

Why does everyone think she's being some snot and giving the Queen of England dirty looks? Does she have reason to? I've never read any stories about her acting like a bitch or a diva at big events like this. I think people are reading far too much into this.

Still pictures often seem to catch faces in completely unintentional expressions. Hence the pictures of the Queen looking quite mean whenever a tabloid picture needs a "mean Queen" picture for whatever bad story about her they've cooked up.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures! The queen looked smashing! I love the springy colors on her!

Is the VIP box in Kentucky Derby always crowded like that?I think there were so many people stood around Her Majesty and most pictures did not see HM smiling at all like when she's at Ascot.

Sister Morphine said:
Why does everyone think she's being some snot and giving the Queen of England dirty looks? Does she have reason to? I've never read any stories about her acting like a bitch or a diva at big events like this.

That was my perception when I saw the photo series, which I have the right to conclude, Sister Morphine.

Someone mentioned whether or not Larry Birkhead was at the Derby. He was and here's the photo link Click Celebrities at the Downs and it's the 13th photo.

Does anyone know if HM had a Mint Julip while she was there? Someone mentioned a newspaper article about a chef preparing lunch - did she eat at the track as well? I taped the derby but haven't gotten to see it yet (I know my horses didn't win!) - did HM get alot of airtime?

I love the photos with Susan Lucci and HM! The Queen of Daytime TV & The Queen of England! I'd pay $1 million to have tea with those two ladies! But to have OJ Simpson & Larry Birkhead in the same vincinity as those great ladies is EEEWWW!

Sister Morphine said:
Correction, Susan is wearing a white dress. But it doesn't look like she's even looking at the Queen. She looks like she's looking down and past her, which given their position....would be the track.

Why does everyone think she's being some snot and giving the Queen of England dirty looks? Does she have reason to? I've never read any stories about her acting like a bitch or a diva at big events like this. I think people are reading far too much into this.

You mean here La Lucci gives the Queen the evil eye ?
or you mean here La Lucci creepely moves into the center of the royal visitors and keeps giving the Queen a glacial look ?

Her presence and stare in that box, so close to a head of state, could be a multiple choice guess for anyone:
Was there a raffle and she won the seat after she bought all the tickets? :)
Was the event televised by the same tv station that broadcast her tv show, thus, giving the actress some prime seating spot? :glare:
On her noticeable staring at the Queen: Did Lucci tried to get attention into herself or did she got carried away with the botox and that's what she looks like nowadays in plain daylight? :lol: :angel:
She always reminds me of the character in the movie Soap Dish, with Sally Field

But enough of La Lucci, quite frankly I think she is an over rated tv actress, both in her soap opera and the forgetable movies she has made for tv. Back to the subject of the real stars of the show, the Queen and her husband prince Phillip, both seem to be enjoying the day at the most celebrated race this side of the world. She looks relaxed and quite stylish as always.

Last edited:
Celebrity sightings start with the Queen
Monarch displays racing knowledge
"...The queen showed her racing knowledge in a brief conversation with Ferguson about the trophy. Ferguson noted that for decades, the open end of a horseshoe engraved on the trophy pointed downward. In 1999, the open end was turned upward "and she said, 'Well that keeps in the good luck,' " Ferguson said.
Race fans said the queen's presence added to the event's glamour. For at least one day, they were on the same footing with royalty..."

Queen's Derby Day Delights
May 6, 2006, Associated Press
"...Queen Elizabeth is certainly the most prestigious guest we've entertained in the modern-day history of the Kentucky Derby," track President Steve Sexton said...

it was a very exciting race the horse that won came from 2nd to last to first in the last lengths and he's a well liked and respected jockey so the celebration was heart felt from the local track people. so many people were congratulating him it was hard to get to the winners circle.
i meant no disrespect to la lucci (i actually didn't see her until she was pointed out- i was noticing the buxom blond showing off her assets on the Queens left shoulder! :O )
i'm sure she's horrified by the awful photos of herself showing up all over the papers. she's a beautiful woman and looks very young for her true age and all the pics i'm seeing she looks gruesome, not a true representation of her beauty at all. the Queen however was flawlless!
btw looking over the "celebrities" that were there- yawn
cybil shepard looks good tho, haven't seen her in a long time.
a few tidbits from the Dallas morning news this morning
*security was very tight especially in the skye terrace and directors room where the Queen was watching.
*only a glimpse was seen by people when she was on the balcony for the 5th race
*Kentucky first lady gave her a music box that plays "My old kentucky home"
*the Queen was offered to present the trophy but her security wouldn't allow it.
*people dressed up and more hats were evident than usual

Last edited:
I've noticed over the years that many celebrities try to go to The Kentucky Derby,no matter how out of their element they may be;it's a social coup to be invited into the celebrity enclosures.One of the television announcers interviewed actress Jenny McCarthy,who overdid it with the too-oversized hat and cleavage;she was trying too hard to look upper-class.
Susan Lucci wasn't glaring at the Queen(why should she?)but her face did look a little too frozen;was she trying to keep her cool and not gape open-mouthed,staring at the Royals? Or was it too much Botox?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think Her Majesty and His Royal Highness were the only true celebrities there;everyone else just pales in comparrison.

The Royalist - The Queen Fulfills A Lifelong Dream In Kentucky
has an amusing article and different photos. i think the couple in the lower left corner is linda bird johnson robb and her husband former gov and sen.. of VA charles robb. her father was president johnson, they are a very respected couple :) so there was some classy people around them.
i'm not sure Her majesty would like being called a celebrity, she is after all in a stratosphere all her own, i'm glad she enjoyed herself and my countrymen made me proud and didn't embarrass me (keeping my fingers crossed, trips not over lol) and showed the proper respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom