The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,284
Yes, I understand what you mean, Al-Bina. No doubt this comment will go down in popular history, whereas some of the more important things accomplished on the Slovenia trip will be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It does not really matter what Prince Philip has meant, the "national prostitution" tends to sound both awkward and embarrassing.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimae View Post
I agree....good for prince Philip,i think the queen is a lucky women to have this terrific person as a husband !
He's a great character, I like himgod bless you
Yes, he does speak a lot of sense and I also agree with him. Even by those that consider it a gaff, it is worth bearing in mind the many gaffs probably made by visiting dignitaries that remain unrepeated or unreported. Perhaps the focus should be on the person who chose to make a private conversation with the Prince, her 5 minutes of fame!

Words can have different connotations in different countries, as evidenced on here.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,870
The Duke stands for substance and authenticity for many decades now and people respect him for that - whether they like his gaffes or not is a different question but it's part of his personality.

His achievements as a consort are on the highest level and when I look at some of his peers and or at some of those who are currently in training to become a monarch's consort in the future I fear that it will be impossible to get anywhere near the importance or the impact of what he has achieved so far.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
----snipped---His achievements as a consort are on the highest level and when I look at some of his peers and or at some of those who are currently in training to become a monarch's consort in the future I fear that it will be impossible to get anywhere near the importance or the impact of what he has achieved so far.
I can only bring to mind his early service during the war and the awards scheme, what else has he done, apart from being husband to HM?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I can only bring to mind his early service during the war and the awards scheme, what else has he done, apart from being husband to HM?
Apart from that, there are over 800 patronages and a keen interest in various subjects from industry to nature (here most notably a long-term presidency of the WWF) and an iron understanding of duty that still drives him at the age of 87, performing more duties than some royals in their prime of their lifes. I doubt any other consort or future consort can keep up with what the Duke has achieved or done in the last decades.

Then, not to forget, he has not only survived but managed to "wear the trousers" in a family of dominating women and despite a predetermined - for some depressing - path of life as Mr Windsor, husband of
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943

Thanks for that, best to omit the WWF, considering his hunting reputation! As I said, I couldn't bring to mind very many but the Monarchy website and Wiki showed quite a few, many I had no idea he was connected to. It was more his impact on anything I was having trouble with.

Don't misunderstand, I think he is absolutely marvelous, both as a consort and as a person, (apart from the hunting).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bled, Slovenia
Posts: 3
HM in my country

Hello everybody!

I am new here and I would just like to say that I saw Her Majesty last week when she was here, in Slovenia. I have one picture of her, I took it, when she was leaving hotel Union in Ljubljana. They were on their way to the airport Brnik.

http://shrani.si/f/37/eY/3LX63s8h/1/dsc01422.jpg
http://shrani.si/f/E/8V/26a44m8q/dsc01415.jpg

I was very happy when I saw her and her husbant. I respect them very much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943

Welcome. Thank you for posting those lovely pictures, you must have been very close.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bled, Slovenia
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

Welcome. Thank you for posting those lovely pictures, you must have been very close.
Thank you! Yeah, I was pretty close to her. And I missed my school lessons; I said I had a meeting with The Queen - and the teacher was like what? And then I showed her the picture and she was really jealous .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
I have heard from a couple of friends (who now cannot locate where they saw it) that they saw a picture of HM on this latest tour, wearing a "Pale green outfit with a toque (stove pipe) hat" It may or may not have had a fur collar. I watched & searched very carefully all around the tour, but cannot find anything.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can locate the photo they are talking about....?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,284
Could they have meant the arrival outfit? The blue one? I don't remember a pale green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I have heard from a couple of friends (who now cannot locate where they saw it) that they saw a picture of HM on this latest tour, wearing a "Pale green outfit with a toque (stove pipe) hat" It may or may not have had a fur collar. I watched & searched very carefully all around the tour, but cannot find anything.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can locate the photo they are talking about....?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,284
It's exciting to see the Queen in person? Were you, like most people, surprised by how small she is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMZelda View Post
Hello everybody!

I am new here and I would just like to say that I saw Her Majesty last week when she was here, in Slovenia. I have one picture of her, I took it, when she was leaving hotel Union in Ljubljana. They were on their way to the airport Brnik.

http://shrani.si/f/37/eY/3LX63s8h/1/dsc01422.jpg
http://shrani.si/f/E/8V/26a44m8q/dsc01415.jpg

I was very happy when I saw her and her husbant. I respect them very much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Could they have meant the arrival outfit? The blue one? I don't remember a pale green.
No - both were adamant it was (pale or even mint) green and not the same one as the bright turquoise.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bled, Slovenia
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It's exciting to see the Queen in person? Were you, like most people, surprised by how small she is?
Well, she may be petite but when you think about all the things that One has done, you realise the grandness of Her Majesty. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,284
Oh yes, definitely. I feel pessimistic about a future king or queen having the same kind of reign that Her Majesty has had. She's managed to keep her privacy and her dignity intact and fulfill her constitutional role with discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMZelda View Post
Well, she may be petite but when you think about all the things that One has done, you realise the grandness of Her Majesty. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I have heard from a couple of friends (who now cannot locate where they saw it) that they saw a picture of HM on this latest tour, wearing a "Pale green outfit with a toque (stove pipe) hat" It may or may not have had a fur collar.
Could it be the outfit pictured in the "Glam Granny" article posted by Skydragon at post No. 47. It isn't green, but could be taken for mint green.

Crowning glory: How the Queen transformed into a glam granny for her latest royal tour | Mail Online

I call it HM's Queen Mary outfit, since that style of hat was so often worn by Queen Mary.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Could it be the outfit pictured in the "Glam Granny" article posted by Skydragon at post No. 47. It isn't green, but could be taken for mint green.

Crowning glory: How the Queen transformed into a glam granny for her latest royal tour | Mail Online

I call it HM's Queen Mary outfit, since that style of hat was so often worn by Queen Mary.
Thanks for your kind suggestion, but both people who mentioned it say this is not the one they saw. Very frustrating!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Prince of Chota's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Neuilly, France
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It's sad to see how stooped HM has become. The picture of her coming into the banquet really accentuated the problem. I wonder whether she might have osteoporosis?
Both HM and HRH are in very advanced age, and I think they have every right to show their age. This is why it is so important for other members of the family to step up and take on more duties traditionally performed by HM. However, I still love to see the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh out-and-about. Nobody can do it quite like the sovereign couple.

I love some of the outfits Her Majesty chose to recycle for this trip. Especially the silver-ish one with the brownish fur trim--which makes me wonder--is any of that fur "faux," or does she always wear the real thing? I would hope that she would at least be open to wearing some faux fur, as there seem to be so many pelts in her wardrobe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 331
Queen Elizabeth is more like Queen Mother and she is 82!!! Wow wow beautiful dress and elegant big hat!!! She have many black bag and golden bag!!! Tonight dress is much beautiful his older!!! Prince Philip is 87 and high age visit at three days!!!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, slovakia, slovenia, state visit


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State visit from France: October 2003 Dunya Royal Family of Morocco 24 01-29-2012 02:01 PM
Official visit to France, Slovenia & Austria: April 5-10, 2008 Veram98 King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family 90 06-23-2010 03:23 AM
State Visit from Ireland , October 2008 Her_Majesty Royal House of Norway 22 10-20-2008 01:55 AM
State Visit from Germany to The Netherlands: October 8-10, 2007 Stefan Dutch Royals 45 10-13-2007 03:34 PM
Dutch State Visit to Slovakia: May 21-23, 2007 Princess Robijn Princess Beatrix 57 05-23-2007 11:17 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]