Queen Elizabeth II's 80th Birthday Celebrations: 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purple_platinum

Heir Apparent
City
Jakarta
Country
Indonesia
Since the Queen will celebrate her 80th birthday this year, 2006, with several celebration events, i think this require a special thread to post all the news & pictures...

Buckingham Palace press releases

THE QUEEN'S 80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS 2006

26 October 2005

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

Buckingham Palace is planning a number of events to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006, both around Her Majesty's actual birthday on 21 April and her official birthday on 17 June.

Events are being planned to take place at both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and will combine private family celebrations with more public occasions.

The Queen will spend her actual birthday, 21 April, at Windsor Castle as usual, and the official birthday will be marked by the annual Trooping the Colour on 17 June. Other events planned around these two dates will include:

80th birthday reception and lunch - London
On 19 April 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will host a reception and lunch at Buckingham Palace for some of those people who will also be celebrating their 80th birthday on 21 April 2006.

Birthday dinner
The Prince of Wales will host a family dinner for The Queen on the evening of 21 April 2006.

Family Service of Thanksgiving - Windsor
On Sunday, 23 April 2006, Members of The Royal Family will attend a special Service of Thanksgiving at St George's Chapel, Windsor, to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday.

National Service of Thanksgiving - London
On 15 June 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral followed by a Lunch given by the Lord Mayor and the Corporation of London.

Children's Garden Party - London
On 25 June 2006, The Queen will host a "birthday" Garden Party at Buckingham Palace for children from all over the UK.

Special travelling exhibition of works by Leonardo da Vinci
Ten of the Royal Collection's finest drawings by Leonardo da Vinci will travel to museums and galleries in Exeter, Aberdeen, Leeds and Cardiff in 2006 to mark The Queen's 80th birthday.

(source : royal.gov.uk )

Stamps to mark Queen's 80th birthday
A set of stamps celebrating the Queen's life is to be issued to mark her 80th birthday.
The Isle of Man Post has produced a collection which includes photographs of the monarch as a child, on her Golden Jubilee tour and with grandson Prince William.
The first of four 20p stamps in the set of eight shows the young Princess Elizabeth pictured with her baby sister Princess Margaret alongside their father and mother, then the Duke and Duchess of York, in January 1931.

The other 20p stamps use photographs of her in her Auxiliary Territorial Service uniform at the wheel of a truck during the Second World War, in a tiara around the time of her accession in 1952, and with the Duke of Edinburgh and their four children in 1972.
The relaxed family portrait was taken by the Queen`s first cousin once removed, Lord Lichfield, who died in November..................

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=68859&pt=n

Photos from ANP
A selection of the postage stamps issued by the Isle of Man in the United Kingdom to mark the 80th birthday anniversary of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II on April 21st this year. The Isle of Man, situated in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland, has its own postal service separate from the Royal Mail. The stamps highlight memorable moments from the monarch's life.

Attachments

• 2308851.jpg
    2308851.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 704
  • 2314244.jpg
    2314244.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 2315132.jpg
    2315132.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Just been wondering why the Queen has two birthdays,..can u tell me why?..and why is June 17 became her official birthday?...any significance of June 17 to her?

I notice the Isle of Man's stamp issue bears the 'motto' "Eighty Years of Duty and Service". Anyone have any idea if the official 80th celebrations will have such a theme?

Warren said:
I notice the Isle of Man's stamp issue bears the 'motto' "Eighty Years of Duty and Service".
I hear the slurping noises from here. Whoever came up with this claim counted the baby and toddler years as duty and service. :rolleyes:

I have a quetion, why in the stamps it has a photo of the ''old'' family and not a photo with the ''new'' family. for example, the queen with her sons and grandchildren

Mahoogie said:
Just been wondering why the Queen has two birthdays,..can u tell me why?..and why is June 17 became her official birthday?...any significance of June 17 to her?
As far as i know like the previous Monarchs, The Queen also has two birthdays, one is her actual birthday, and the other one is the Sovereign's Birthday which often helds on a certain second Saturday in June when the weather is good.
Thanks for this thread, purple_platinum, i'm sure how wonderful it will be with lots and lots of pics of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with her coming 80th birthday wish all the best wishes for her and her family.:)

mandyy said:
The Isle of Man, situated in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland, has its own postal service separate from the Royal Mail. The stamps highlight memorable moments from the monarch's life.
Interesting, I didn't know this. Also today I learned something new! :)

Does anyone know anything about foreign guests yet? I know that it's too early to know much, but I was just wondering if it's known to which events foreign royals and dignitaries will come (or if at all)?

what about non-royals attend for HM Queen's 80th birthday include Norway,Belgium,Dutch,Denmark,etc if have lists for her 80th birthday?

but its nice stamps,mandy if you have more different stamps of her childhood till adult

i cant wait see HM Queen's birthday im really happy about it god bless HM Queen

sara1981 said:
what about non-royals attend for HM Queen's 80th birthday include Norway,Belgium,Dutch,Denmark,etc if have lists for her 80th birthday?

but its nice stamps,mandy if you have more different stamps of her childhood till adult

i cant wait see HM Queen's birthday im really happy about it god bless HM Queen
Not any more information has been released yet,sara,but we hope that maybe at the National Thanksgiving Service for Her Majesty's birthday on 15th June, there will be some European Royals like at the Queen Mother's 100th birthday National thanksgiving Service in 2000, we saw King Constantine and Queen AM, The King and Queen of Belgium together with Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte.

I found out on Majesty magazine stores about HM Queen's 80th birthday books its so amazing of her life they're talking about her childhood till she become Queen,mother,grandmother.

http://shop.majestymagazine.com/images/items/large/6316fbee060089c7273cbf91abeba7ba.jpg

books is cost by $19.99 in USA if you in England residence would buy in UK price you can paid for that books and also in Canada residence you can buy that books also!

Last edited by a moderator:
I Cant wait I Want that book lol :) Long Live the Queen !!!!!!!

Canada has issued a stamp for the Queen's 80th Birthday it came out couple weeks ago.
2005_queen_main.jpg

sara1981 said:
I found out on Majesty magazine stores about HM Queen's 80th birthday books
Thanks for information about the upcoming book from Majesty Magazine, sara.I'm sure it'd be really wonderful and must-read book.Hopefully there will be some more Videos and DVD about Her Majesty will be realeased this year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that there is a garden party for children, that sounds really cute. will a lot of members from other royal families be travelling to London for these dinners? 80 is a big deal, so I hope it's a huge, international family celebration!:)

What a great stamp! I need to check out the list of events...it might be time for a trip to Great Britian!

Images from getty

Attachments

• 56716146.jpg
    56716146.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 56716147.jpg
    56716147.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 438
  • 56716148.jpg
    56716148.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 459
Children's literature characters Postman Pat, Paddington Bear and Noddy promote the summer 'Children's Party at the Palace' garden party hosted by the Queen to celebrate her 80th birthday on February 1, 2006 at Buckingham Palace in London, England. The Queen's birthday is on April 21. (Photo by Tim Graham/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 56716145.jpg
    56716145.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 56716150.jpg
    56716150.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 373
  • 56716151.jpg
    56716151.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 294
  • 56716153.jpg
    56716153.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 501
  • 56716158.jpg
    56716158.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 56716159.jpg
    56716159.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 498
  • 56716161.jpg
    56716161.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 381
  • 56716183.jpg
    56716183.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 56716184.jpg
    56716184.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 332
oh my gosh... this is quite hillarious...

it's about time Buckingham Palace get into relaxing & funny moods...

As Chris Moyles said on the radio on this morning, what about the rest of us non-kiddies?!

Awwwww that was sweet of them to do
God Save The Queen!!!!
Long Live the House of Windsor!!!!!!!
God Bless the Prince and Princess of Wales!!!!!!
Long Live The Royal Family!!!!!! :)

Canadiana said:
Canada has issued a stamp for the Queen's 80th Birthday it came out couple weeks ago.
2005_queen_main.jpg

Canadiana, thanks for the info on the stamp. I think this is the nicest one that Canada Post has done of the Queen ... and they've done many over the years. I usually go to the post office & ask that give me any stamp, but one of the Queen (since they usually always look alike & are pretty plain), but next time I go, I will ask for one of the Queen!:)

LOL. Very funny to see Mary Poppins going to the Palace. "Spit Spot Your Majesty"

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4816.asp

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A "CHILDREN'S PARTY AT THE PALACE"
1 February 2006

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

Buckingham Palace and the BBC today launched details of a special Garden Party for children at Buckingham Palace on June 25th as part of The Queen's 80th birthday events.

The "Children's Party at the Palace" will celebrate British children's literature by inviting children, grandparents, parents or guardians, along with characters from Britain's favourite storybooks, to a tea party and unique entertainment show at Buckingham Palace.

Characters including Tracy Beaker, Paddington Bear, Mowgli, Winnie the Pooh and the Gruffalo will be joining guests in the garden. At 6pm, Sophie Dahl, granddaughter of Roald Dahl, will appear on stage to introduce a specially written show for all the nation to watch live on the BBC. Mary Poppins, the White Rabbit and Captain Hook will also be starring along with the Royal Ballet who will create a Beatrix Potter vignette.

All children living in the UK aged between 4 and 14 are invited to apply from today through a national ballot by logging on to www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc.
2,000 children and 1,000 adults (parents/grandparents or guardians) will then be selected to attend the party.
"Blue Peter" will be broadcasting live from Buckingham Palace this afternoon on CBBC One and the CBBC channel at 5pm with a special programme to unveil details of the party and how children can apply for invitations.
Major publishers and rights holders are also kindly lending their support to the event and working closely with the BBC and Buckingham Palace to create a magical guest experience and show.
Sainsbury's and Jamie Oliver have agreed to create a special version of the traditional British picnic tea for all those invited to the Palace.

To help The Queen's guests enjoy their trip to London and Buckingham Palace, the Mayor of London and Transport for London have kindly donated 3,000 special Oyster Cards which will be given to all invitation winners. The Oyster Cards, with a special commemorative wallet, will enable guests to travel on London tubes and buses free of charge throughout the weekend of the "Children's Party at the Palace".
Some of the characters will be visiting schools and hospitals in the lead-up to the party to read stories to children who may not be able to attend.
Rights holders and publishing companies will also be donating books to a "book pool". "Children's Party at the Palace" will be working with the National Literacy Trust to distribute these books to children living in disadvantaged areas who would most benefit from this gift of a book to own.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: "The 'Children's Party at the Palace' will be a celebration of British children's literature, both traditional and modern, which we hope will encourage children to read and enjoy books. The day will also focus on the family and the key role that grandparents and parents, relatives and friends can play in shaping a child's love of books through the favourite stories that families pass down through generations. We hope this day will encourage children to explore new worlds through the characters and their stories.

"The event will bring together the British literary community in a way that benefits children from all backgrounds and cultures and focuses the nation's attention on British children's literature and the magic of books."

Further information
Children's BBC website (opens in new window)

me : i do hope that younger members of the royal family, Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie, Zara, Peter, or little Lady Louise would attend this children party !! it's about time...

Characters from British children's literature arrive at Buckingham Palace for the announcement of a "Children's Party at the Palace" which will take place on 25 June 2006 as part of the celebrations to mark The Queen's 80th birthday

n1flew.jpg
n1flmp.jpg

(from royal.gov.uk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom