Queen Elizabeth II's 80th Birthday Celebrations: 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
purple_platinum said:
i don't think she is... there isn't a picture of her so far. ;)
Yeah she didn't.I don't konw what was in my head.My mistake....:D :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I did wonder how long it would take for people to say Camilla and Charles were not speaking. The BBC did show the service on TV and I have to say that Charles and Camilla sat next to one another and smiled at each other, whispered something now and then and he helped her with her Order of Service. On the steps, Camilla spoke with William and the Queen then stepped back to speak to Anne who she shared an umbrella with. Charles was chatting with the Dean of Windsor and then Anne and then his mother. It's rare that the family are all together so I think Camilla was just chatting to people as she saw them.

Let's not have unpleasantness in the Queen's 80th birthday thread, shall we?

No shouting (and yes, that means ALL CAPS), no telling other members what to do, etc. You know the drill.

Thanks.

ysbel
British forums moderator

Thanks purple platinum for the list of guests.

Ah Earl Spencer was at the Thanksgiving service. This makes me wonder whether they were there at Harry's passing out but weren't photographed.

I hope so for Harry's sake at least.

Personally, I thought inviting Earl Spencer was a mistake but I suppose they had to. But maybe it was a good thing - a way of telling him what's what.

I think the Queen understands that bringing the Spencers back into the fold would stop them from making negative comments. It's probably part of why she was so kind to Diana. Plus, Lord Spencer is a godchild, and he seems to get on well enough with his nephews.

Other than Diana's funeral...I don't believe the Earl has made negative comments. It definitely wasn't the place for it..but he was grieving and some of it needed to be said. And like it or not...he is her godchild. That shows that Queen despite personal differences can see the bigger picture and I say good for her!

Back to the topic on hand..I don't think members of the Forum are being deliberately cruel about the Duchess of Kent. Let's face it..we are all getting older..but seeing how popular she was and continues to be..when you don't see someone for awhile and then you see them and it looks like they have been ill..well...its quite a shock.

The Earl made negative comments right up until around the time of the trial (late 2002). He said a lot of things that weren't complementary towards the royal family in American interviews, and things that could be taken as him saying he and the Spencers were not allowed access to their nephews (this was while they were both still at Eton).

I don't think there was any intent to be cruel toward the Duchess of Kent. Her appearance has gotten to the point of being alarming. Even when compared to photos from a year or so ago, never mind compared to when she was carrying out engagements.

I remember seeing the Duchess on 'This Morning' last year, about a week before Princess Michael was on, and the Duchess looked happy and well - and quite youthful. So when I saw her yesterday, it really was a shock and I think that it's the shock that has prompted alot of the comments.

purple_platinum said:
TimesOnline just published a really long guest list
Total Windsors: 38 comprising 1 Majesty, 18 Royal Highnesses, 14 Lords and Ladies, 1 Rear Admiral, 3 Misters and 1 Miss.
I trust a group photo was taken inside the castle.

Adult absentees: Zara Phillips, Lady Davina & Gary Lewis, James & Julia Ogilvy.

I note The Times refers to Princess Alexandra's once-wayward daughter as Miss Marina Ogilvy rather than Mrs Marina Mowatt. Marina does look very smart, and it's good to see her and Alexandra together.

Last edited:
Alexandra must be a very forgiving mother that's all I can say.

Warren said:
Total Windsors: 38 comprising 1 Majesty, 18 Royal Highnesses, 14 Lords and Ladies, 1 Rear Admiral, 3 Misters and 1 Miss.
I trust a group photo was taken inside the castle.

Adult absentees: Zara Phillips, Lady Davina & Gary Lewis, James & Julia Ogilvy.

I note The Times refers to Princess Alexandra's once-wayward daughter as Miss Marina Ogilvy rather than Mrs Marina Mowatt. Marina does look very smart, and it's good to see her and Alexandra together.

I think Marina has been going by the "Marina Ogilvy" rather than "Marina Mowatt" title since the divorce. But even so, she isn't really a Miss; this is where the Ms title is so useful, if only the Times could be persuaded to be sensible about it.

Article from HELLO
Despite the grey skies looming overhead, the Royal Family's leading ladies succeeded in bringing a touch of spring to a church service marking Her Majesty's birthday on Sunday. Almost all of the Windsor clan's female members opted for soft pastel shades when they joined the monarch for a special Thanksgiving ceremony at St George's Chapel in Windsor................
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/04/24/queenservice/

Photos from HELLO

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2491/queendop2a0nj.jpg

What a wonderful Celebartion for a remarkable woman Who has lead a wonderful life

All in all it was a great celebration. And I am the only one who is thinking Marina Olgivy is looking more and more like her grandmother, Princesss Marina.

Yes, I suppose she does, now you come to mention it. She doesn't get her dark colouring from either parent, at any rate.

Can someone post a pic of her. I cant quite singe her out. Ive heard and read a lot about her but have never seen her.

I agree that everyone basically looked nice. Bea & Eugenia looked better at the church service than they did the other night at the fireworks, especially Eugenia whose dress was too big & poofy, it made her look huge. I didn't care for Serena's outfit, but I thought Gabriella looked nice, and of course the always understated elegance of Sarah Chatto. Lady Helen's jacket was... interesting. But I wish her husband would dye his hair. He's a good looking guy, but he just doesn't look good with grey.

Last edited:
kelly9480 said:
The Earl made negative comments right up until around the time of the trial (late 2002). He said a lot of things that weren't complementary towards the royal family in American interviews, and things that could be taken as him saying he and the Spencers were not allowed access to their nephews (this was while they were both still at Eton).

Yes, he hasn't been very nice to the Royal Family. Taking snipes at them every chance he gets. And I disagree about his comments at Diana's funeral... it doesn't matter if he was grieving... it was the wrong time and place to "lash out". Besides he's no saint himself so he had no right to pass judgement. BTW, I had no idea he was the Queen's godchild... very interesting.

Here is the Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Mother of the current Kent family. Courtesy of Marilyn's Royal Blog. This pictures actually doesn't do her justice...if you can..check our Cecil Beaton's Royal portraits.

Zonk1189 said:
Here is the Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Mother of the current Kent family. Courtesy of Marilyn's Royal Blog. This pictures actually doesn't do her justice...if you can..check our Cecil Beaton's Royal portraits.

Thank you for the picture. I know everyone says she was a beauty, but frankly, I have never seen it. Also, was there a problem, because in all the photos I have seen her smile in, her mouth is very crooked.

That's a nice picture. Can someone tell me what Princess Marina's daughter, Marina Ogilvy did that caused her to be shunned by the family. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with her at all.

Last edited:
rchat said:
That's a nice picture. Can someone tell me what Princess Marina's daughter, Marina Ogilvy did that caused her to be shunned by the family. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with her at all.

Have a look at this thread (Mowatt was her surname while she was married):

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/marina-mowatt-6927.html

Marina Ogilvy is Princess Marina's granddaughter, not her daughter. Princess Alexandra is Princess Marina's daughter and Marina Ogilvy's mother.

Last edited:
That side of the Family has always Interested me I Rather think Alexandra looks like Lady Gabriella Windsor :)

As far as I can remember, Marina, while in her relationship and subsequent marriage to the Mowatt chap, had made sniding, ugly remarks about the her Royal Family members including her own parents. She estranged herself from them. After the divorce it seemed all was forgiven.

Stellad

I thought the entire weekend was fantastic. The documentary on BBC1 and then Sky News interview was both insightful and interesting to hear all these people talk so highly of her. The pull out magazine in the Hello Magazine was informative, because it gave such great insight into her relationships with her children and her grandchildren, but most importantly to her daughter-in-law Sophie during her ectopic pregnancy. The support system Sophie had after that time is extremely important. I think that for 80 the Queen has a lot left in her to give...:)

Princejohnny25 said:
Can someone post a pic of her. I cant quite singe her out. Ive heard and read a lot about her but have never seen her.
Here'a a pic of Marina Ogilvy and her mother Princess Alexandra from the Queen's 80th Birthday Service, courtesy of purple_platinum at post #328:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=239664&d=1145841800

In regards to her estrangement from the Royal Family, a similar situation occurred in the Netherlands with Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma. The difference being that Marina's husband largely kept his mouth shut, in contrast to Margarita's husband Edwin.

We had some fantastic TV programming over the last weekend. Sadly, that didn't include for me that shocking Andrew Marr programme which was done in two parts called "The Queen at 80". The front sequence was almost identical to the "Queen and Country" series for the Jubilee and although we saw the Queen behind the scenes more, alot of it was just "Queen and Country" repeated in a new format.

Now, "10 Days that made the Queen" - that was a good programme on Channel 4. Wonderful footage of the Queen as a little girl, of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, of the assassination of Lord Mountbatten - which for the first time, Countess Mountbatten and Lady Pamela Hicks both spoke about.

It was so new and well presented it was definately the best programme despite being a little cruel in places and giving a soap-box to a republican. I think that the ITV documentaries were a waste of time - just an attempt to cash in on the day. "The Great British Menu", where chefs are cooking a meal for the Queen's official birthday, is laughable with Jennie Bond faffing around in a kitchen and chefs producing food that according to Brian Hoey in "The Daily Mail", is not to the Queen's tastes at all.

The programming on the actual day was quite good. I watched it to start with ITV, they blended it with 'This Morning' which wasn't a good idea IMO because although Fern Britton is a lovely girl, her presentation isn't geared towards Royal events. The BBC did much better with Wendy Richard, Rolf Harris, Alan Titchmarsh and Vivienne Westwood being joined by 2 of the guests from the Buckingham Palace dinner for fellow 80 year olds and people who had been with the Queen in the ATS etc. So instead of a steady stream of watching the Queen walking about, we had little anecdotes from people who had met her. Wendy Richard was in tears and said how beautiful the Queen was and Vivienne Westwood publicly apologised for her anti-monarchy sentiments in the 1970s, saying that she thought the Queen was part of the establishment she so hates, but has since discovered that the Royal Family are above it all and she is now a staunch royalist!

I thought that the coverage of the church service on Sunday was a bit intimate. For example, I don't think it was right to show the Queen praying, but I thought it was nice that the Queen didn't need a hymn book - she knew all the words to all the hymns anyway! It was nice to see so many members of the Royal Family together but the commentary was truly appaling which let it down.

That's my two-penneth anyway. Not really much worth recording and keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom