Queen Elizabeth Pregnancy Photos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be fair, not every lady suffers morning sickness during every pregnancy. People vary not just from person to person but from pregnancy to pregnancy. Many ladies actually feel wonderful and completely bloom right the way through, so maybe HM didn't have any of the problems you list.

It's quite possible that she had a wonderful time while pregnant (after all, she went through it four times!) and felt invigorated, and in full glowing health all the time. We have to remember that pregnancy is not an illness or a trial, even though some ladies have some physical problems for some or all of their time being pregnant.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
correct me if im wrong, i wasnt alive at the time,but weren't some engagements during the canada trip cancelled, i remember seeing some old footage and the journalist saying that the queen was due to travel somewhere but that she didnt due to "fatigue". which to me is an indicator that indeed she was suffering the normal symptoms of pregnancy, was the canada tour cut short?
I also remember reading something about her visiting paris while a princess and suffering from morning sickness during the trip as she was pregnant with either charles or anne.

oh and right now, i do tremendously envy any woman that doesn't suffer morning sickness.

At the time this photo caused quite a stir, as it was supposed to have been taken by Prince Philip and not for public viewing....in fact it was supposed to have been stolen if I remember rightly how or by whom I have no idea.

My fading memory seems to remember the story along the lines of the film being developed somewhere and the person there making extra photos from the negatives which were then sold. I may have the story wrong of course, and probably am wrong but that is what is coming from the depths of my brain at the moment.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a photo in a private collection taken in 1964 of the 4 pregnannt royal ladies - the Queen, Princess Margaret, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra

My mother has a story about someone seeing a picture of the Queen and saying, "She looks pregnant." It was a picture taken during that trip to Canada, when she wasn't showing any obvious signs of pregnancy. At least, not obvious to most people.:)

I'm put in mind of that paparazzi photo of a pregnant Diana in a bikini. How times change.

I remember reading somewhere that journalists were forbidden to comment on the Queen's "interesting" condition. Some of these pics remind me of Princess Grace and her strategically placed Hermes bag.

My grandfather use to tell me a story about that 1959 visit to Canada. He was in the Royal Canadian Air Force at the time, and was one of the men chosen to be of service to Her Majesty throughout that visit. Late one night, he had to deliver a note from HM to Prime Minister Diefenbaker. The PM came out to meet my Grandpa in his dressing gown and slippers. He took the note, read part of it aloud (it was worded very stiffly - "I am with child" or something to that effect). Then, he proceeded to cuss and say "she woke me up for this?!".

Maybe, she was experiencing morning sickness or something, and felt that the PM needed to know in case of schedule changes? I don't know. Anyhow, classic Dief!

A few pics during the pregnancy with Charles (born November 14).

June 5, 1948, from Getty Images (about four months) and the grandpa-to-be
With Margaret, July 22, 1948 (six months), Getty

I've spqacingfound a couple accounts of her at the London Olympics that year (July 29 to August 14), but a Google search didn't find any photos.
"10th October 1948: Princess Elizabeth inspects her steeplechaser Monaveen" Getty with a stragetically placed hand?

May 27, 1950 with Anne (August 15) on the way (Getty again)
3134588.jpg

Wow, interesting that you just can't see any belly at all. The clothes are all designed to make her look like she's just gained weight in general.

I know, I kept looking at the photo dates to make sure they were actually during the pregnancies. You can kind of see the curve in the dress from the Anne bump, but the Charles photos just don't have her look like she's expecting. Taking a really close look, it seems like her waist might be getting a little wider during 1948, but there's no front bump as far as I can see.

Very well styled maternity clothes. Not like most of the pregnant ladies these days, who flash their great big bellies. I much prefer the more discreet style.

Tremendous photographs- lovely vintage appeal.

Thank you! I like finding old pictures like these, so Getty's like a gold mine of vintage photos.

You are welcome dralcoffin. Please post others if you think they merit a look. :flowers:

To be fair, not every lady suffers morning sickness during every pregnancy. People vary not just from person to person but from pregnancy to pregnancy. Many ladies actually feel wonderful and completely bloom right the way through, so maybe HM didn't have any of the problems you list.

It's quite possible that she had a wonderful time while pregnant (after all, she went through it four times!) and felt invigorated, and in full glowing health all the time. We have to remember that pregnancy is not an illness or a trial, even though some ladies have some physical problems for some or all of their time being pregnant.:flowers:
I couldn't agree with you more!

Queen Mary was about five months pregnant with Prince Henry when Edward VII was crowned, and the photos of her in her coronation dress with its tight-laced corset didn't look much different from normal. It must not have been good for developing babies when their mothers did that.
Has anyone know where I could find that photo online? I would be very interested in seeing it.

I know, I kept looking at the photo dates to make sure they were actually during the pregnancies. You can kind of see the curve in the dress from the Anne bump, but the Charles photos just don't have her look like she's expecting. Taking a really close look, it seems like her waist might be getting a little wider during 1948, but there's no front bump as far as I can see.

Actually having a child is like a rubber band.. With the first one, the band is quite tight and its quite a while before you can see the bump at all.. the second.. doesn't take that long.. the band is a bit looser and expands easier.. with the third, you look 6 months pregnant at 3 months. When it comes time for the fourth, you say you're pregnant and automatically you need maternity pants. Then we get menopause. Its the goddess' way of reminding you that you gave birth.. you constantly look pregnant.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Has anyone know where I could find that photo online? I would be very interested in seeing it.

Of Queen Mary when she was pregnant? I don't think so. This is the closest I could find for you.

KING GEORGE V & QUEEN MARY CORONATION 1911 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Up until the most recent births of the Queen's grandchildren, I don't think photos of a woman during her pregnancy were really the "must get" photos. In the Queen's time when she was bearing children the media had respect.

Diana pregnant in a bikini is a picture I really want to forget. Sheeeesh

Last edited:
Of Queen Mary when she was pregnant? I don't think so. This is the closest I could find for you.
I meant that one, the coronation picture! I wasn't of course thinking of a photo of Mary pregnant... Thanks so much for the link!! :flowers:

I meant that one, the coronation picture! I wasn't of course thinking of a photo of Mary pregnant... Thanks so much for the link!! :flowers:

Glad I posted it then. I get comfuzzled sometimes. I do actually have a picture of my grandfather and he was born in 1867 so.. going looking for a photo of Mary wasn't a giant leap in my mind. Then I remembered the photo was taken in 1930 something. He died in 1943 before I was even born. But anyways... glad ya liked it.

I get "comfuzzled" too... I didn't understand the link with your grandfather... :bang:

I get "comfuzzled" too... I didn't understand the link with your grandfather... :bang:

Just was making a connection on how photographs from the late 1800s and early 1900s aren't as plentiful as they would be today. :)

:bang: Sorry, my bad, I thought they were connected... Thanks again! :flowers:

Released Once

A family Affair....

HM the Queen in bed with her children a couple of day's after the birth of HRH the Prince Edward (nee, Earl of Wessex)

Source: Taken by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh - now part of my personal collection.
386760b5.jpg

A really lovely photograph.

"MII"

Indeed a wonderful photo, but after it was released the Queen thought that it was very undignified and ask that it not be released again.She felt "Her Majesty" should not have pictures of her in bed, and many other people (including the Queen Mum") thought it something a commoner may show, but not "Her Majesty".

I don't think that this photo was ever "released" as such. If I recall correctly, it was one that appeared in a book or tabloid but not officially released.

Indeed a wonderful photo, but after it was released the Queen thought that it was very undignified and ask that it not be released again.She felt "Her Majesty" should not have pictures of her in bed, and many other people (including the Queen Mum") thought it something a commoner may show, but not "Her Majesty".

The 1959 pregnancy of the Queen cut short the visit to Canada.The Queen has managed to look great throughout not only her pregnancies but her life.

I don't think that this photo was ever "released" as such. If I recall correctly, it was one that appeared in a book or tabloid but not officially released.

If my fading memory serves correctly this photo was actually 'stolen' and published but was never officially released.

That was in the back of my mind when I made my earlier post, but I wasn't sure that I remembered that fact correctly. Thanks for confirming my memory, Iluvbertie. :)

If my fading memory serves correctly this photo was actually 'stolen' and published but was never officially released.

Back
Top Bottom