Queen Elizabeth Pregnancy Photos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dated Wrong

LIFE: Queen Elizabeth receiving bouquet from a... - Hosted by Google

I'm not sure if anybody has posted this photo already. HM is seven months pregnant with EDWARD on Prince EDWARD island. A cute coincidence. ;)

If you look of the website of the British Monarchy it state that this visit was in October of 1964, therefore Edward was already born. As far as I know the only visit that the Queen made while pregnant was the one to Canada in 1959 when she was only a few weeks pregnant with Andrew.

If you look of the website of the British Monarchy it state that this visit was in October of 1964, therefore Edward was already born. As far as I know the only visit that the Queen made while pregnant was the one to Canada in 1959 when she was only a few weeks pregnant with Andrew.

If it states that on the British Monarchy site, then I am sure that it is correct. I originally saw that photo on GettyImages and the caption said January of 64'. Getty, however, has been wrong with dates before. She does look like she has a bump though... :ermm: :previous:

If it states that on the British Monarchy site, then I am sure that it is correct. I originally saw that photo on GettyImages and the caption said January of 64'. Getty, however, has been wrong with dates before. She does look like she has a bump though... :ermm: :previous:

It's probably just the type of coat she is wearing and perhaps a little post-baby weight.

Queen Elizabeth just days before giving birth to Charles

LIFE - Google Books

In a 1948 Life magazine newsclip , the Queen is show attending Jock Coville's wedding just a little while before Charles was born. She is VERY pregnant under her mink jacket!

Yes in the summer of 1959, while barely pregnant, Elizabeth came to Canada and the US. She was in Canada for the opening of the St. Lawrence sea-way which she opened with President Eisenhauer, after a cruise on the Britania. She visited a number of Canadian industries. She went to the US, oddly though acting as head of state of Canada, not as head of the United Kingdom. The Canadian embassy planned the itinerary and such for the trip. It was two such tours she has made in her reign, as Queen of Canada and not the UK. I guess when she returned to Canada she revealed to Prime Minister Diefenbaker she was pregnant. He tried to get her to cut her trip short, but she insisted on remaining. Diefenbaker got a hell of a lot of criticism when she returned home and announced her pregnancy. People accused him of pushing the queen to complete her tour and fufill all her stops, when in fact he had suggested she return home.

IIRC there's a post somewhere about that trip.. at least I think its about the one you're talking about. She did send a message to a Governor General or likewise that she was "indisposed" and to excuse her for what I think meant for timing? The gist of it all was she got morning sickness. Anyone here remember the facts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem The Queen and the Royal Family used to be a lot more at ease with the press. I've found this video newsreel online called 'Royal Sale of Work', where the Royal Family (The Queen's Mum is Queen, and Elizabeth is a princess) hold a jumble sale to raise money for something - !!! - ABERGELDIE - ROYAL SALE OF WORK - British Pathe

It's bizarre, especially Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon trotting across a field in her heels.

I remember coming across another video on the Pathe site of the Royal Family having a picnic, in colour, with all the kids, but cannot find it now - do let me know if anyone comes across it - thanks! So many videos on there.

I really enjoyed that video. The Queen was really getting into it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, I enjoyed the video very much. Thank you for posting it. I agree with your remark regarding the ease with which the Royal Family & the media mixed. I'm wondering if the time period was a factor? There was a time when the media, and the general public for that matter, was less critical and much nicer.

Jason, I enjoyed the video very much. Thank you for posting it. I agree with your remark regarding the ease with which the Royal Family & the media mixed. I'm wondering if the time period was a factor? There was a time when the media, and the general public for that matter, was less critical and much nicer.

I think generally back in that time period, the press had a lot more respect for the Royals and journalism told a story based on facts. As we became more globalized with instant coverages of anything and everything, sensationalism became more and more in demand and respect went out the window.

The family photograph is lovely. The children were so young and look very happy. Such a special moment to share. Thank you for sharing it. LadyG

Queen Elizabeth Pregnant with Anne

These photos are from www.queensimage.com. It is my understanding that she purchases each photo, so therefore probably holds the copyright.

The first photo shows an 8-months pregnant Princess Elizabeth on July 14, 1950 seeing off her sister Princess Margaret at the airport.

The second photo shows Princess Elizabeth 7-months pregnant with Anne while in Malta on June 1, 1950.

The third photo was also taken in Malta in April of 1950.

Attachments

• 1950-7-14 elizabeth_margaret_at_airport_50.jpg
    1950-7-14 elizabeth_margaret_at_airport_50.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 11,339
  • 1950-6-1 princess_elizabeth_in_malta.jpg
    1950-6-1 princess_elizabeth_in_malta.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,034
  • 1950-4 princess_elizabeth_in_malta.jpg
    1950-4 princess_elizabeth_in_malta.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,115
She doesn't look pregnant at all in these photos!

I think she looks very heavily pregnant in the first picture, although perhaps not that different in the other two.

I'm surprised that the first picture ever saw the light of day! Pictures of pregnant royal ladies weren't published back then, at least none that I know of.

:previous:

While it was something of a taboo to take pictures of pregnant royal ladies during the first part of the Queen's reign, some pictures do exist. Certainly, there are a lot of pictures of the Queen herself, especially when she was pregnant with Andrew and Edward.

- Queen Elizabeth 1 - Queen Elizabeth 2 - Queen Elizabeth 3
- Princess Grace 1 - Princess Grace 2
- Queen Anne Marie
- Queen Margrethe
- Queen Beatrix
- Queen Sonja
- Queen Silvia

Obviously, by the time of Diana and Sarah and the other 80s and 90s royals, the press no longer had boundaries.

Artemesia, interesting 3 pictures of QE II pregnant. The third one with the fur coat and crazy hat is odd. She looks healthy and happy and has beautiful legs ( still has excellent legs). But the outfit looks weird from perspective of today, especially the hat which seems to be flipped up at the angle of antlers. Her modestly high heel shoes are, to me, the essence of "class"--not too high, just high enough, and tied on so she won't slip. Not actually "showing" the "bump" is a good idea. It was a more gracious time.

Last edited:
ehotka said:
These photos are from www.queensimage.com. It is my understanding that she purchases each photo, so therefore probably holds the copyright.

The first photo shows an 8-months pregnant Princess Elizabeth on July 14, 1950 seeing off her sister Princess Margaret at the airport.

The second photo shows Princess Elizabeth 7-months pregnant with Anne while in Malta on June 1, 1950.

Purchasing the photograph and purchasing the copyright are totally different . Given that a pic of a visible pregnant Elizabeth was was worth,literally, a fortune, I can't imagine the photographer signing away the rights for other than the full value .

ehotka said:

Anne was only 6 pounds when she was born. Was she early? (given the fact that Charles was 7 lb. 6 and Andrew was 7 lb. 3. I know Edward was a week early and he was 5 lb. 7.)

6lbs is a perfectly acceptable weight for a full term baby. MY DD was born on her due date and weighed 5lbs 14oz.

scooter said:
6lbs is a perfectly acceptable weight for a full term baby. MY DD was born on her due date and weighed 5lbs 14oz.

Same with my friend's niece when she was born! She just turned 5 a few weeks ago.

Wow those are great pictures I wasn't sure if there were any of the Queen pregnant due to the feelings about pregnant women of the time.

Back
Top Bottom