Queen Elizabeth Pregnancy Photos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Andrew was waring shorts, as always he did when he was very young.

selrahc4 said:
LOL, I suspect that many of us who have given birth would have chosen that method!
:D I think so as well, selrahc4! ;)
And thanks a lot for that great pic, Margrethe, it seems to be the most private pic I've ever seen of her, as to the fact that she's sitting in her bed..

kerry said:
I really like the 2nd pic in post 2. It looks as though Prince Philip is looking at the Queen with a lot of love in his eyes. Either that or she cracked a real funny joke.:)

Well, that, or it's just that self-satisfied male expression meaning "Look what I did!" ;)

According to CBC Archives, Queen Elizabeth II was pregnant with Prince Andrew during her 1959 visit to Canada. Here are a couple of CBC Archive videos taken during the month of June 1959. These aren't as good as the photos that were posted as the Queen likely would have only been 6-8 weeks pregnant (just estimating), but I thought it was funny she was wearing a belly bow in one photo (maybe trying to hide a small bump?). I thought it was neat having such old videos too...

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-70-165/life_society/new_queen/clip6

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-741-4526-20/that_was_then/life_society/queen_st._lawrence_seaway

selrahc4 said:
Well, that, or it's just that self-satisfied male expression meaning "Look what I did!" ;)

LOL!!! Didn't think about the male ego. LOL!!!:D

Remember the Great British Royal Baby Boom when four Royal ladies - The Queen, Princess Margaret, Princess Alexandra and the Duchess of Kent were all due within a few weeks of each . I do know Alexandra had her son on February 29th as everyone joked how she seemed to do things on special days. ie. She herself was born on Christmas Day and her son was born on Leap Year's Day.

Would anyone by any chance know is such a photo (Four Pregnant Ladies) does exist? Would be great to see if it did.

Scott

Love the pic of the Queen in bed with baby Prince Edward and the other kids. So normal. Thanks.

The pic with the Queen and all her children makes her seem like every other mother....it's a great photo!

June 1950. The maternity dresses were quite different in style in those days, weren't they?

From Royal Sisters Volume Two published by Pitkin (London), page 59. No photo credits are listed in the book

1950june7royalsistersvol2page59smal.jpg

Margrethe II said:
A family Affair....

HM the Queen in bed with her children a couple of day's after the birth of HRH the Prince Edward (nee, Earl of Wessex)
A really lovely photograph.

"MII"

I think there was some controversy about the publication of the Duke's photo of his wife in bed. I remember hearing that this photo had been stolen and published without permission.

Queen Marie said:
Indeed, how times have changed!
If she'd done that today, there'd be accusations of her snubbing the parliament and all sorts of stupid things like that.
I'm sure it's unlikely one would find too many more pregnancy pictures of royals of Her Majesty's generation, let alone earlier generations.
Having never had a child, I can only guess at how beautiful an experience it is, but personally I'd rather not see pregnant womens' bellies. I don't mean they shouldn't be seen in public, I'd just rather they covered up more than they do these days. I think society has become a little too relaxed with some things.
But that's just me.

Your absolutely right. The Queen, in the few photos we have seen look neat and lovely. Today, unfortunately, they look slovenly It is a beautiful thing to be pregnant, but sloppy dress is just poor taste.

The purloined photos were the result of an employee of the establishment which developed royal snapshots occasionally pilfering copies of negatives over the years. The particular series taken right after Prince Edward's birth surfaced several years after they were taken, 1968 I believe.

It's too bad that they are so few pics about the ELISABETH II 's pregnancy. Even thaugh she is described as a "cold" mother, I'm sure she had to be a proud mother of her quiet numerous family ( four children is not too bad....)

redfox6 said:
Your absolutely right. The Queen, in the few photos we have seen look neat and lovely. Today, unfortunately, they look slovenly It is a beautiful thing to be pregnant, but sloppy dress is just poor taste.

Actually I think today's maternity outfits are more discreet and flattering than the ones my mother wore in the sixties. Mothers back then wore these ugly maternity tops always with floral prints always with piped lacing and a high waistline from which a single flap of cloth dropped down to cover the belly. There was no elegance or discretion in the outfits at all and they were rather cheaply made. At least these days maternity outfits come in attractive solid colors and are styled and fitted with real craftsmanship to create different silhouettes.

On the contrary. There is more choice today, but, as you can see from the Queen's outfit there were lovely, tailored things to wear and nothing clung tightly, like Britany Spears to your bump. I have seen a lot of movie stars dressed in very stomach hugging outfits that are downright unbecoming. How could ALL maternity clothes of any era be cheaply made? There were cheaply made clothes and there were expensive clothes. Just as today. I was pregnant then and never had a floral top. Not one. There were plenty of solid colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well redfox, I agree with you on Britney Spears but luckily she is widely known for her lack of taste. So thankfully a lot of people today have more taste than she does. :p

But going back to the maternity wear of the 50s and 60s I'm sure my memory doesn't fail me. Invariably the tops were high at the waist with what looked like a curtain falling over the belly hanging there in a most unflattering way.

The style wasn't confined to my mother because on TV all the pregnant actresses wore the same thing. Lucy Ricardo in I Love Lucy, Rob's wife on My Three Sons, even Agent 99 in Get Smart (which is getting into the 70s) wore the same unattractive maternity wear. Yes, I did watch a lot of TV as a child!

I don't think the Queen wore her clothes off the racks and I doubt if the designers specialized in maternity wear but just good looking clothes so of course it looked good on her but not all the women back then had that option and I still think pregnant women did not have the wide variety of clothing options that they do today.

As for Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez and that crowd, there's no excuse for them but their fashion choices don't speak for a whole generation! :rolleyes:

Well, we certainly agree on Britany Spears and the present tasteless actresses. But I wore maternity clothes in 1960 and 1964 and I had suits such as pictured on the queen and dresses that were attractive for what they were. I had a lovely black jumper and a wonderful suit that was trimmed as a sailor suit. A royal blue lace evening dress and so on and so forth. It just depended on how you shopped. The truth is I hate the way young people today dress, altogether. Sloppy, bellies hanging out, outerwear that looks like underwear, so I certainly can't say styles today are nicer for any occassion.

redfox good for you that you were able to find attractive maternity clothes.

I think though now we've exchanged old memories of maternity wear, we'd better get back to the subject of the Queen's pregnancy look rather than the fashions of young people today.

if any of the members have the series of books "The Royal Sisters" there are very good pictures of (Queen) Princess Elizabeth in 1948 and 1950 pregnant. Some of the pictures were taken at Ascot and the Derby and she is about 6 months pregnent in them. There is also a picture of Princess Elizabeth taken only days prior to Anne's birth driving to Clarence House.
They are a very good and imformative set of books with rare pictures - these books are far better than the books that you get today where every book carries the same standard pictures. Well worth an investment

Yes, I have those. I posted one of the pictures in post #39 on page 2 of this thread.

pregnancy..

oh my, what a fun time.... it is something else.... My tubes are "tied"/cut/burnt for good reason.. lol.

Ms. Elizabeth, Majesty, looks stunning as always. I hope she never ends, and never ages. Trust me, I am not a suck up, I am brutally honest, without shame..

if anyone has the christies catelogue of the sale princess margarets jewels there is a picture of a pregnant princess margaret and the Queen in 1964 (it is on page 210, book 1) :)

I think the Queen looks elegant no matter what she is wearing. She in her 80's and she still looks great.

From Profimedia.cz

Detail snímku - fotobanka profimedia.cz

With Andrew

Original caption: 8/12/59-Balmoral, Scotland: Kwame Nkrumah, Prime Minister of Ghana, visits Queen Elizabeth and Princess Anne at Balmoral Castle here, Aug. 12. The African leader offered his congratulations to the Queen who is expecting her third child. This is the first photo of the Queen since palace sources announced her pregnancy. The Queen told Nkrumah that, because of her pregnancy, she would be unable to make a scheduled trip to Ghana

Last edited:
if anyone has the christies catelogue of the sale princess margarets jewels there is a picture of a pregnant princess margaret and the Queen in 1964 (it is on page 210, book 1) :)

There was an "AP" dual photo of both the heavily pregnant Queen and Princess Margaret sent "over the wire" in January 1964. It was one of the first newspaper cuttings I ever cut out specifically for my own "scrapbook".

It caused quite a stir since it was specifically shown to highlight their pregnancies....Even "movie stars" had never been so featured in newspapers regarding their pregnancies back in those days.

According to CBC Archives, Queen Elizabeth II was pregnant with Prince Andrew during her 1959 visit to Canada. Here are a couple of CBC Archive videos taken during the month of June 1959. These aren't as good as the photos that were posted as the Queen likely would have only been 6-8 weeks pregnant (just estimating), but I thought it was funny she was wearing a belly bow in one photo (maybe trying to hide a small bump?). I thought it was neat having such old videos too...

Elizabeth at 'Indian Days' - Canada's New Queen - CBC Archives

Queen opens St. Lawrence Seaway - "On This Day" - CBC Archives

Imagine all the walking and standing, etc -- the speeches, the openings, the presentations...all while pregnant and possibly suffering from morning sickness (I wouldn't know, but if not that, then some discomfort that accompanies the body's changes)...stamina and discipline. I am in awe of it!

I've never had children, nor do I want any, but I have always been fascinated with pregnancy and childbirth -- the changes that occur in the body and how women deal with that and live life.

Last edited:
On the official site of the British monarch there is a section about royal Christmas and you can see a photo of the Queen pregnant with Andrew during the Christmas broadcast

A family Affair....
HM the Queen in bed with her children a couple of day's after the birth of HRH the Prince Edward (nee, Earl of Wessex)
A really lovely photograph.
At the time this photo caused quite a stir, as it was supposed to have been taken by Prince Philip and not for public viewing....in fact it was supposed to have been stolen if I remember rightly how or by whom I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom