The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth in Australia: March 2006

I presume that this might actually be the shortest thread ever at the RF.
The Commonwealth Games starts soon. HM The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be in Melbourne for the opening ceremony, they will then leave for a trip to Indonesia. Prince Edward will be in Australia for several days before and will stay for the duration of the games, undertaking various engagements for the Commonwealth Games as well as the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. I however expect little if any news and photos of these engagements.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty does spends 4 days there, but it's not as long as she did before as we can understand she is reaching her 80th birthday soon.And i want to give a correct, claire, it's the Queen's State Visit to Singapore not Indonesia.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

I read on another site that the Commonwealth Games Committee have said they are not going to play the National Anthem at the opening!
Has anyone else heard about this?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's is a link about the anthem.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Courtier

This is sort of a side note but I just found this out and I thought it was interesting. For the Commonwealth Games England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland compete independetly. For the Olympics they compete under Great Britian so if they win God Save The Queen is played. For the commonwealth games instead they use England- Land of Hope and Glory Scotland- Flowers for Scotland Northern Ireland - Londonderry Air and Wales The Land of My Fathers

I love anthems so I found this intersting. All the info was off Wikipedia so it might not be 100% accuarate.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Nobility

I live in Melbourne. As far as I know, God Save the Queen will not be played during the Opening ceremony I think?To be honest, I haven't been able to find any real info on that, hopefully there'll be more in the next couple of days. I would prefer it if they did play it though. I think it's disrespecful and embarrassing, since we are hosting the Commonwealth Games! I mean, Australia needs to make a decision FAST, are we going to be part of the Commonwealth or aren't we? all this yeah we'll take part in what suits us is getting really frustrating
Old 03-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Nobility

Thanks Avalon for the link.

I think they should play god save the queen at the opening ceremony, but I'm sure it's not going to happen. The queens coming from england to open the games and I think this will be her last trip to Australia so God Save the Queen should be played out of politeness.

I agree with u Aussie Princess we have to decide if we want to be part of the commonwealth but I don't think this is going to happen for a while.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Nobility

It's not a question of politeness. When in office, Sir Ninian Stephen proclaimed that God Save the Queen would continue to be Australia'a Royal Anthem, to be played in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen, members of the Royal Family, and those holding the vice-regal positions representing Her Majesty. Thus, this becomes a written rule.
The Prime Minister has stated his decision that it is to be played, and no events organisers or state government usurpers have authority to ignore a former Governor-Generals' proclaimation.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm going to get attacked for this, but I'll say it anyway. I want Australia to become a Republic, and while I guess it's "polite" to play God Save the Queen, I don't think we should. The Commonwealth Games are being held in Australia. Our anthem, Advance Australia Fair, should be played and not the British. I was reading in an article that it's normal for only the host country's anthem to be played at the opening ceremony. Why should we change that and play some other anthem?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
I'm going to get attacked for this, but I'll say it anyway. I want Australia to become a Republic, and while I guess it's "polite" to play God Save the Queen, I don't think we should. The Commonwealth Games are being held in Australia. Our anthem, Advance Australia Fair, should be played and not the British. I was reading in an article that it's normal for only the host country's anthem to be played at the opening ceremony. Why should we change that and play some other anthem?
Yes I definately agree with you Danielle. :)
Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Nobility

There is so reason not to play the Australian anthem either. When I was in school we went to a ANZAC day service, and both anthems were played, as a lot of the people who served were British or of British heratidge, and it was the anthem most of them had known.
I guess this decision is final, but I'm very,very dissapointed. Who made this decision anyway? It's no secret our PM is a royalist. Was it the head of the games comittee?I don't even know who that is....
Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

[quote=Aussie Princess]There is so reason not to play the Australian anthem either. quote]

Of course there is every reason to play the Australian national anthem, mainly because its being held in Australia and Australia are the host of the games. But maybe they should play the british anthem in addition as well just to show the history of the Commonwealth Games, or the Empire Games as it was called back in the day. Just for history sake. But I really dont think it is necessary.

Maybe the British national anthem would be more appropriate in the early days of the games, hence the reason why the name changed from Empire Games to Commonwealth games.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Nobility

here is a link that tells you who will be singing part of the God Save the Queen song.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/common...191823788.html
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Nobility

That's what I meant, Australian, to play both anthems. There is no reason they can't do that. And even though something isn't necesary doesn't mean you don't do it. But in my opinion it is necesary to properly respect the Commonwealth and it's leader that we are so lucky to be a part of. JMO:)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Australia frets about UK anthem
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4766544.stm
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
In answer to the question you close with Danielle, as I stated before, Sir Ninian M. Stephen (then Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia), decreed that on occasions where Her Majesty the Queen is present in Australia, the Royal Anthem (God Save the Queen), is to be played, and may be followed by Advance Australia Fair (the Australian National Song). End of story. Why? Because His Excellency did his job and made the decree.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Nobility

Sara, with regard to your article, is states that the Victorian Minister in charge of the organisation, contacted the 'Queens offices' and was told there was no breech of protocol. Well, since 1986, none of Her Majesty's offices have had anything to do with protocol or Australian legislation. It is a breech of Australian protocol to not play the Royal Anthem in the presece of our Queen. It just goes to highlight the ignorance of the 'games organisers' (and I use the term organise very very losely), that they don't even know which country's department of protocol to consult!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Courtier

My understanding was the God Save the Queen was played since a) The Queen is there b) It is the commonwealth games same as the Greek national anthem is played at the Olympic opening ceremonies. c) It is the only time God Save The Queen is played durning the games (see my post above)

My understanding (and fuzzy memory) is that God Save The Queen, Advance Fair Australia and Thou Art The Ruler of the Minds of All People (India's national anthem New Dehli is home to the 2010 games) would be played at the Opening Ceremonies

Although know I'm looking at the flags and it says that the former current and future place fly. Since England competes by itself do the Manchester Games fall under GB or England. So they might be playing Land of Hope and Glory.

very confusing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games
Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

God Save the Queen will be played at the ceremony it has been officially annouced.

Queen Elizabeth is Queen of Australia and i would have thought that playing the Australian national anthem in her presence would suffice. It is the national anthem of her realm (Australia) so shouldnt that be enough? Isnt playing the Australian national anthem in her presence an honour? Since he is our Queen

But i understand why the British anthem ahs to be played as well, for the sake of history.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Personally I think there has always been a problem in that " God save the Queen" is both the anthem of the Commonwealth, Great Britain and the Royal family. If only they could separate the three - have an anthem for the British nation, one for the Commonwealth to be played at the Head of State Conference (kind of like the EU theme) and another to announce the presence of the Queen and other royals.

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, commonwealth games, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, national anthem, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii