The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

were there any news on which royals will attend? probably we may see frederik and his australian born wife there, since they plan to go to australia this year and they are both sports fans :)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Courtier

So far only members that have confirmed their attendance is HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh who will attend the opening ceremony. HRH Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex who will arrive from the 11 of March and stay for the duration of the games as Vice - Chairman of the Commonwealth Games Federation.
The Organisation committee have stated that they have invited Princes William and Harry - but it is doubtful if they will attend. I doubt they can simply leave Sandhust to attend. Princess Mary of Denmark has also been invited as have Elle MacPherson and several other Australian celbrities and sportsmen.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
God Save the Queen will be played at the ceremony it has been officially annouced.

Queen Elizabeth is Queen of Australia and i would have thought that playing the Australian national anthem in her presence would suffice. It is the national anthem of her realm (Australia) so shouldnt that be enough?
No Australian, it isn't. If governments/organisations fail to meet requirements set out in proclaimations by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, they are doing themselves a great disservice. It's not a question of appropriateness or history, but adhering to a vice-regal proclaimation. It is not debatable.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Personally I think there has always been a problem in that " God save the Queen" is both the anthem of the Commonwealth, Great Britain and the Royal family. If only they could separate the three - have an anthem for the British nation, one for the Commonwealth to be played at the Head of State Conference (kind of like the EU theme) and another to announce the presence of the Queen and other royals.
Hallo Claire,
"God Save the Queen" isn't the 'anthem of the Commonwealth', it is a patriotic song celebrating the life of the sovereign, used as the Anthem of the United Kingdom, and the Royal anthems in Australia, Canada and New Zealand (among others).
The issue arising over the playing of 'God Save the Queen' for the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games, has nothing to do with it being a Commonwealth event. It is the correct Australian practice, in observance of the 1984 proclaimation by His Excellency Sir Ninian M. Stephen KG AK GCMG GCVO KBE, (then Governor-General), that God Save the Queen is Australia's Royal anthem, and is (without exception), to be played in the presence of Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia and members of the Royal family. Regardless of the reason they are here, the Royal anthem is to be played.

If I'm sounding too strong in my posts, I apologise, but coming from a protocol background, I find it intolerable that people are so willing to be incorrect when very clear guidelines exist.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian

If I'm sounding too strong in my posts, I apologise, but coming from a protocol background, I find it intolerable that people are so willing to be incorrect when very clear guidelines exist.
Sometimes guidelines become inappropriate as time goes by (not for all, but for some), its not a question of being incorrect, its a question of moving with the times. We know that the GG made a decree but that doesnt mean it has to stay like that forever, situations change over time.

Don't apologise Von Schlesian, I like your posts as they are very accurate and informative. But I guess its just the republican in me talking. :)
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Majesty

1. As it is the Royal Anthem and she is royal surely her anthem should be played.

2. If she came here as a visiting head of state - i.e. Australia was a Republic guess what - God Save the Queen would be played

3. Good manners indicate that people acknowledge in an appropriate way visitors - in this case it would be by playing God Save the Queen.

As to the question about which royals will be attending - The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Earl of Wessex.

The Crown Princess of Denmark has indicated that she want be coming to Australia until at least 2007 due to the turmoil over the cartoons.

Neither William nor Harry have be announced as attending however I would be extremely surprised if they walked out of Sandhurst in the middle of term to simply watch some athletes. NB William will be going to the World Cup but that is on during the Sandhurst summer break.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Sometimes guidelines become inappropriate as time goes by (not for all, but for some), its not a question of being incorrect, its a question of moving with the times. We know that the GG made a decree but that doesnt mean it has to stay like that forever, situations change over time.

Don't apologise Von Schlesian, I like your posts as they are very accurate and informative. But I guess its just the republican in me talking. :)
An issue much larger than adhering to protocol is being dragged into what is actually a very VERY clear-cut requirement, (not by you Australia, but by the Australian 'media'). Unfortunately for republicans like you Australian, the proclaimations of Governor-General exists unless ammended by the Sovereign or subsequent Governors-General, and shall so exists until there are no more Governors-General or Sovereigns of Australia (which for me is an if, and for you is a when). Moving with the times is all well and good my Western Australian friend, but for major events organisers and state governments to ignore their Governor-General(s), is quite unforgivable. They were denying the Australian public the right to give our Sovereign the salutation which is Her Majesty's due.

You humble me with your kind words, I thank you.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Majesty

Even leading Republicans have said that God Save the Queen should be played.

Remember, if and/or when, Australia becomes a republic God Save the Queen will be played if and when the monarch makes a visit - they visit other countries other than those of which they are monarch - so why shouldn't it be played when she visits a country of which she is the Queen.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html

PRINCES William and Harry, Princess Mary of Denmark and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice top a stellar list of international VIPs on the Commonwealth Games invitation list.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html

PRINCES William and Harry, Princess Mary of Denmark and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice top a stellar list of international VIPs on the Commonwealth Games invitation list.
HRH the Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth shall not be attending the Games.

"MII"
Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Nobility

I think some people see it as being the British national anthem, and nothing else, and some see it as more to do with the Royal Family. It has been pointed out that we should sing it for the Queen since England is not really mentioned, even though it is their anthem. I wanted it played, but that may be the monarchist in me talking!:)
Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 AM

The Royal Anthem should be played in Respect to Her Majesty The Queen of Australia, here in Northern Ireland we have great difficulty getting Council permission to play "God Save The Queen" at public events (we were even told not to play it when HRH The Princess Royal visited our area), so I understand the frustration that it must cause to Australian Monarchists when there is objestions to the Royal Anthem being played.

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
Australian Monarchists when there is objestions to the Royal Anthem being played.
In a constitutional monarchy!! Yes, the monarchists that I am becomes extremely frustrated, but even to seperate myself from my beliefs, purely according to protocol which was to be so casually ignored, makes me entirely intolerable of those who's decision it wasn't.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:27 AM

Exclamation National anthem allowed, Matilda banned

Playing the British national anthem is a touchy subject in a proto-republic like Australia, but even more controversial are government plans to ban traditional Aussie songs like the famous bush ballad 'Waltzing Matilda', on the basis that they incite terrorism. Details can be found at http://www.empiregames2006.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

What. Banning Patriotic songs cause they incite terrosim. Thats like saying we give up we wont be Aussies anymore we will be what you want us to be. Playing God Save the Queen shouldnt be touchy. They should just play the short first verse when they officially introduce her as protocal dictates. They do that in non commonwealth countries to. Its just respect and courtesy.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

God Save the Queen is not Englands national anthem. It is the UKs national anthem and the Queens personal anthem. Playing it doesnt always refere to Great Britian but sometimes just the monarch on their own.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Majesty

I don't like Waltzing Matilda.

It sends such a poor messsage to our youth - steal but don't face the consequences - kill yourself instead. Great song to have everyone getting emotional about.

As I have said before if the Queen was here and we were a Republic we would play God Save the Queen as the National Anthem of the United Kingdom but for some reason we don't want to play it when she comes as our head of state despite the fact that it is recognized in our own laws as her personal anthem as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Nobility

Banning 'Waltzing Matilda' because it could insite terrorism is just well funny:)

There's a simple solution to the anthem problem play both God Save The Queen and Advance Australia fair. That should keep everyone happy.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 AM

God Save the Queen is Not the UK National Anthem it is a song which has been sang by Tradition to show loyalty to Her Majesty The Queen, it has never been established as a national anthem by law. However in Australia it is by A Vice-Regal Proclamation the official Royal Anthem and therefore in the presence of Her Most Exellent Majesty it should and will be played.

If Australians want to sing Advance Australia Fair then that is understandable since it is The Australian National Anthem, but God Save The Queen will also be played.

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Shnitzel
... but even more controversial are government plans to ban traditional Aussie songs like the famous bush ballad 'Waltzing Matilda', on the basis that they incite terrorism.
This is not 'news'. It's from a Blog. It's nonsense. It's rubbish. Don't believe it. Have I made my point?

Tags
australia, british commonwealth, commonwealth games, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, national anthem, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii