The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
TimesOnline just published a really long guest list
Total Windsors: 38 comprising 1 Majesty, 18 Royal Highnesses, 14 Lords and Ladies, 1 Rear Admiral, 3 Misters and 1 Miss.
I trust a group photo was taken inside the castle.

Adult absentees: Zara Phillips, Lady Davina & Gary Lewis, James & Julia Ogilvy.

I note The Times refers to Princess Alexandra's once-wayward daughter as Miss Marina Ogilvy rather than Mrs Marina Mowatt. Marina does look very smart, and it's good to see her and Alexandra together.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM

Alexandra must be a very forgiving mother that's all I can say.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Nobility

Ah! who has any closeup pictures of Lord Downpatrick (:
Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Total Windsors: 38 comprising 1 Majesty, 18 Royal Highnesses, 14 Lords and Ladies, 1 Rear Admiral, 3 Misters and 1 Miss.
I trust a group photo was taken inside the castle.

Adult absentees: Zara Phillips, Lady Davina & Gary Lewis, James & Julia Ogilvy.

I note The Times refers to Princess Alexandra's once-wayward daughter as Miss Marina Ogilvy rather than Mrs Marina Mowatt. Marina does look very smart, and it's good to see her and Alexandra together.
I think Marina has been going by the "Marina Ogilvy" rather than "Marina Mowatt" title since the divorce. But even so, she isn't really a Miss; this is where the Ms title is so useful, if only the Times could be persuaded to be sensible about it.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Article from HELLO
Despite the grey skies looming overhead, the Royal Family's leading ladies succeeded in bringing a touch of spring to a church service marking Her Majesty's birthday on Sunday. Almost all of the Windsor clan's female members opted for soft pastel shades when they joined the monarch for a special Thanksgiving ceremony at St George's Chapel in Windsor................
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty.../queenservice/

Photos from HELLO

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2...endop2a0nj.jpg
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a wonderful Celebartion for a remarkable woman Who has lead a wonderful life
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator

All in all it was a great celebration. And I am the only one who is thinking Marina Olgivy is looking more and more like her grandmother, Princesss Marina.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, I suppose she does, now you come to mention it. She doesn't get her dark colouring from either parent, at any rate.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can someone post a pic of her. I cant quite singe her out. Ive heard and read a lot about her but have never seen her.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that everyone basically looked nice. Bea & Eugenia looked better at the church service than they did the other night at the fireworks, especially Eugenia whose dress was too big & poofy, it made her look huge. I didn't care for Serena's outfit, but I thought Gabriella looked nice, and of course the always understated elegance of Sarah Chatto. Lady Helen's jacket was... interesting. But I wish her husband would dye his hair. He's a good looking guy, but he just doesn't look good with grey.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
The Earl made negative comments right up until around the time of the trial (late 2002). He said a lot of things that weren't complementary towards the royal family in American interviews, and things that could be taken as him saying he and the Spencers were not allowed access to their nephews (this was while they were both still at Eton).

Yes, he hasn't been very nice to the Royal Family. Taking snipes at them every chance he gets. And I disagree about his comments at Diana's funeral... it doesn't matter if he was grieving... it was the wrong time and place to "lash out". Besides he's no saint himself so he had no right to pass judgement. BTW, I had no idea he was the Queen's godchild... very interesting.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Here is the Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Mother of the current Kent family. Courtesy of Marilyn's Royal Blog. This pictures actually doesn't do her justice...if you can..check our Cecil Beaton's Royal portraits.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Here is the Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Mother of the current Kent family. Courtesy of Marilyn's Royal Blog. This pictures actually doesn't do her justice...if you can..check our Cecil Beaton's Royal portraits.

Thank you for the picture. I know everyone says she was a beauty, but frankly, I have never seen it. Also, was there a problem, because in all the photos I have seen her smile in, her mouth is very crooked.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's a nice picture. Can someone tell me what Princess Marina's daughter, Marina Ogilvy did that caused her to be shunned by the family. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with her at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat
That's a nice picture. Can someone tell me what Princess Marina's daughter, Marina Ogilvy did that caused her to be shunned by the family. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with her at all.
Have a look at this thread (Mowatt was her surname while she was married):

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...watt-6927.html

Marina Ogilvy is Princess Marina's granddaughter, not her daughter. Princess Alexandra is Princess Marina's daughter and Marina Ogilvy's mother.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

That side of the Family has always Interested me I Rather think Alexandra looks like Lady Gabriella Windsor :)
Old 04-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Courtier

As far as I can remember, Marina, while in her relationship and subsequent marriage to the Mowatt chap, had made sniding, ugly remarks about the her Royal Family members including her own parents. She estranged herself from them. After the divorce it seemed all was forgiven.

Stellad
Old 04-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Commoner

I thought the entire weekend was fantastic. The documentary on BBC1 and then Sky News interview was both insightful and interesting to hear all these people talk so highly of her. The pull out magazine in the Hello Magazine was informative, because it gave such great insight into her relationships with her children and her grandchildren, but most importantly to her daughter-in-law Sophie during her ectopic pregnancy. The support system Sophie had after that time is extremely important. I think that for 80 the Queen has a lot left in her to give...:)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Can someone post a pic of her. I cant quite singe her out. Ive heard and read a lot about her but have never seen her.
Here'a a pic of Marina Ogilvy and her mother Princess Alexandra from the Queen's 80th Birthday Service, courtesy of purple_platinum at post #328:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1145841800

In regards to her estrangement from the Royal Family, a similar situation occurred in the Netherlands with Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma. The difference being that Marina's husband largely kept his mouth shut, in contrast to Margarita's husband Edwin.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 AM

We had some fantastic TV programming over the last weekend. Sadly, that didn't include for me that shocking Andrew Marr programme which was done in two parts called "The Queen at 80". The front sequence was almost identical to the "Queen and Country" series for the Jubilee and although we saw the Queen behind the scenes more, alot of it was just "Queen and Country" repeated in a new format.

Now, "10 Days that made the Queen" - that was a good programme on Channel 4. Wonderful footage of the Queen as a little girl, of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, of the assassination of Lord Mountbatten - which for the first time, Countess Mountbatten and Lady Pamela Hicks both spoke about.

It was so new and well presented it was definately the best programme despite being a little cruel in places and giving a soap-box to a republican. I think that the ITV documentaries were a waste of time - just an attempt to cash in on the day. "The Great British Menu", where chefs are cooking a meal for the Queen's official birthday, is laughable with Jennie Bond faffing around in a kitchen and chefs producing food that according to Brian Hoey in "The Daily Mail", is not to the Queen's tastes at all.

The programming on the actual day was quite good. I watched it to start with ITV, they blended it with 'This Morning' which wasn't a good idea IMO because although Fern Britton is a lovely girl, her presentation isn't geared towards Royal events. The BBC did much better with Wendy Richard, Rolf Harris, Alan Titchmarsh and Vivienne Westwood being joined by 2 of the guests from the Buckingham Palace dinner for fellow 80 year olds and people who had been with the Queen in the ATS etc. So instead of a steady stream of watching the Queen walking about, we had little anecdotes from people who had met her. Wendy Richard was in tears and said how beautiful the Queen was and Vivienne Westwood publicly apologised for her anti-monarchy sentiments in the 1970s, saying that she thought the Queen was part of the establishment she so hates, but has since discovered that the Royal Family are above it all and she is now a staunch royalist!

I thought that the coverage of the church service on Sunday was a bit intimate. For example, I don't think it was right to show the Queen praying, but I thought it was nice that the Queen didn't need a hymn book - she knew all the words to all the hymns anyway! It was nice to see so many members of the Royal Family together but the commentary was truly appaling which let it down.

That's my two-penneth anyway. Not really much worth recording and keeping.

Tags
birthday celebration, british royal family, commemorative stamps, elizabeth ii, queen elizabeth ii