Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Canada - May 17-25, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been mentioned above, both Buckingham Palace and the Canadian Government have confirmed that the tour will go a head regardless of the current political situation in Canada.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Queen back in Canada, on what could be one of her final tours of this country.

timtonruben359 said:
As has been mentioned above, both Buckingham Palace and the Canadian Government have confirmed that the tour will go a head regardless of the current political situation in Canada.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Queen back in Canada, on what could be one of her final tours of this country.

timtonruben359, I've heard that rumour too, that this could be a final visit. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I find it hard to believe that she will quit touring completely. I always think of the Queen Mom who was visiting Canada even when she was in her 90's. I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact that the Queen is no "spring chicken" anymore.

Knowing that her visits to Canada will become less and less frequent, maybe will make us enjoy this visit that much more.

i got news from telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk for HM Queen and Prince Philip's trips to Canada

check it out!
t.gif
t.gif
Your Majesty, this trip could get political
By Caroline Davies
(Filed: 16/05/2005)

The hats have been boxed, the coats and evening gowns neatly folded and the tiara polished.

t.gif
It is set then for the Queen to be whisked straight from Tuesday's State Opening of Parliament to the Canadian Airbus that will transport her and Prince Philip to Regina in Saskatchewan.

It will be her 23rd visit to Canada, a country for which she holds a particular affection.

That is unless her private secretary, Sir Robin Janvrin, answers his phone between now and then to an apologetic Canadian prime minister delivering the news: "It's all off." For Canada is in political meltdown.

The Liberal government is teetering on the brink of collapse and, should prime minister Paul Martin fall before the Queen is airborne his advice could be to stay at home.

His demise will automatically trigger a general election, and Canada in the middle of an election campaign is no place for a Queen who has avoided political hot potatoes throughout her 53-year reign.

Mr Martin has so far staved off a vote of confidence over allegations that the Liberal government gave millions of dollars in contracts to firms in Quebec, with many of those firms, allegedly, then paying kickbacks to the Liberal Party.

But, under pressure from Conservatives, he is being forced to hold one on Thursday when parliament gathers to vote on his federal budget. That is two days into the Queen's nine-day tour of Saskatchewan and Alberta.

If he is still standing by the time she touches down, the prediction is he will lose the May 19 vote.

Thus the man who greets the Queen as her prime minister at the bottom of the runway steps at Regina may no longer be her prime minister two days later.

At Buckingham Palace all they can do is watch, hands tied. "We await the outcome of the vote and subsequent government advice. That advice will depend on the vote and may affect the Queen," said a spokesman.

If she goes, she may well be asked to turn around and come right back should Mr Martin lose. And if he loses, but advises her to stay - to spare disappointment for Saskatchewan and Alberta which each celebrate 100 years of joining the Confederation and have planned elaborate festivities - well, that causes a whole set of new problems.

With no government, what of the grand luncheon to be "hosted by the Government of Canada" in Regina on May 20? Or the PM's formal speech, and his presence at her official departure ceremony in Calgary?

There are always local difficulties for the Queen to negotiate on foreign tours. But a country in political crisis could be trickier.

Sara Boyce

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article Sara.
Still, nothing too much to worry about.
The Queen wont be anywhere near Ottawa. She's visiting Alberta and Saskatchewan where the provincial governmets are determined not to let federal politics sour their centennial celebrations. Alberta has called for a "fed no-go zone" as mentioned in one of the articles above. So I think things will go along smoothly.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Interesting article Sara.
Still, nothing too much to worry about.
The Queen wont be anywhere near Ottawa.

Will Her Majesty and HRH The Duke get official welcoming ceremony by Madam Adrianne Clarkson?, since this is a State Visit

Ephram said:
Will Her Majesty and HRH The Duke get official welcoming ceremony by Madam Adrianne Clarkson?, since this is a State Visit

Well, apparently yes. She will be welcomed by the Governor General. I forgot to read the first part of this thread:cool:

Squidgy said:
timtonruben359, I've heard that rumour too, that this could be a final visit. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I find it hard to believe that she will quit touring completely. I always think of the Queen Mom who was visiting Canada even when she was in her 90's. I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact that the Queen is no "spring chicken" anymore.

Knowing that her visits to Canada will become less and less frequent, maybe will make us enjoy this visit that much more.

I personally feel this will not be the Queen's last visit to Canada, but I think this will her last major tour...I think the future she will most likely stay in one place instead of flying to various parts of the country...but I doubt this will her last tour...you're right the Queen Mother last visited Canada when she 89.

But I think we also need to face facts that the Queen is now nearly 80 and it has already been stated by the Palace that she and Prince Philip plan to cut back on their international travel. But knowing the Queen's sense of duty, as long as she is physically able she will travel abroad.

For those of you who want to see the arrival on tv, Newsworld will cover it live starting at 6:30 eastern. I assume the other canadian networks will as well, though Im not sure.

There are no pic of The Queen and Prince Philip arrived in Canada yet.But there are a picture of The Queen and Prince Philip waving when they left London Heathrow Airport: Nice new hat:)

Attachments

• BRITAIN_CANADA_.jpg
    BRITAIN_CANADA_.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 287
The Queen and Prince Philip are supposed to arrive a 6:30 Pm at Regina (Saskatchewan)

I checked time zones on a site: now it's exactly 3.27pm in Regina, so they haven't arrived yet. It's 10.27 in the UK: almost bed time.
Supposing that they go to bed at 10 in Regina, it would be like going at 4am!!!

Well the Queen will be arriving at 6:30 eastern time (which, I believe, is 4:30 central/saskatchewan time). So there's still an hour to go before the live coverage begins. I'll save some screen caps and post them as soon as possible.
With the political bombshell today, looks like the government is less likely to fall on thursday, perhaps the Queen's visit wont be overshadowed by politics after all.

Well the Queen has arrived in a Canadian airbus...
Her Canadian standard is being unfurled.

The Queen arriving in Regina, Canada.

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 283
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 268
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 273
  • e3.jpg
    e3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 263
Queen Elizabeth II in Canada Amid Turmoil

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer

TORONTO - Queen Elizabeth II flew in to western Canada for a royal visit Tuesday, with the nation's governing party embroiled in a political scandal that has threatened its hold on power. The queen and Prince Philip arrived in Regina, the provincial capital of western Saskatchewan, where they are taking part in centennial celebrations for the province's union with the Canadian confederation.

The Queen is the head of state in Canada, a member of the British Commonwealth of former colonies.

The queen, wearing a salmon-colored suit with black trim, was met at the airport by Canada's Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson, the queen's representative in Canada, Prime Minister Paul Martin and other dignitaries.

The 79-year-old monarch has visited Canada at least 22 times since she becoming queen and has referred to it as a second home. Though Canadians are somewhat indifferent to the monarchy, most have great affection for the queen, toasted at official events and whose silhouette marks their coins.

The visit begins just two days before Martin faces a vote of non-confidence in Parliament. Should his minority Liberal government lose what's expected to be a very close vote, general elections will be called.

The Liberals got a huge boost on Tuesday, however, when a key Conservative member of Parliament defected to the Liberal Party.

Royal tradition has been to bow out during election campaigns to avoid any suggestion that the visit is being used to shore up support for an incumbent government.

At least one royal watcher does not believe national politics will hurt the long-awaited royal visit.

"Politicians are always on their best behavior when the Queen is around," said John Aimers, dominion chair of the Monarchist League of Canada.

The opposition, however, has accused Martin of using the Queen's visit to prop up his government. Martin said he intends to greet the royal couple when they arrive Tuesday evening and he will address the official welcoming ceremony on Wednesday morning before returning to Ottawa.

If Martin's government — hit hard by a corruption scandal within his Liberal Party — were to fall Thursday, officials say the queen would not get caught up in the procedure of dissolving Parliament.

The Queen was welcomed by the Governor General Adrienne Clarkson and her husband, the PM and his wife, the Saskatchewan Premier and his wife, the Lieutenant Governor (in pale yellow) and others. Lots of bows and curtsies. The Queen has left the airport now and is making her way to the First Nations University, the only one of its kind in North America.
The Queen was wearing her mother's brooch, which she also wore as a princess during her 1950s visit to Canada.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 294
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 253
more pictures

Attachments

• 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 2e.JPG
    2e.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 2g.JPG
    2g.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 495
  • 2f.JPG
    2f.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 225
and more...

Attachments

• 2h.JPG
    2h.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 2i.JPG
    2i.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 2j.JPG
    2j.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 2k.JPG
    2k.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 2l.JPG
    2l.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 2m.JPG
    2m.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 2n.jpg
    2n.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 201
Thanks Mandyy and Humera for getting those pictures to us so quickly. I'm really looking forward to seeing lots more over the next few days!:)

You're welcome Squidgy

The Queen arrives at the First Nations University of Canada

Attachments

• 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 309
inside the university

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 260
  • 2e.JPG
    2e.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 2f.JPG
    2f.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 274
and more...

Attachments

• 2k.JPG
    2k.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 2j.JPG
    2j.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 2h.JPG
    2h.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 2i.JPG
    2i.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 2g.JPG
    2g.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 218
The Queen made a brief speech and gave the university a piece of stone from Blamoral Castle with her and Queen Victoria's initials on it.

Attachments

• 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 3b.JPG
    3b.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 3d.JPG
    3d.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 3e.JPG
    3e.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 3f.JPG
    3f.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 3g.JPG
    3g.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 237
The Queen and Prince Philip were both given gifts. She got a quilt and the Prince was giving moccasins.

Attachments

• 4e.JPG
    4e.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 4f.JPG
    4f.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 4d.jpg
    4d.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 4c.JPG
    4c.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 4b.JPG
    4b.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 267
The Queen greets a crowd outside the university

Attachments

• 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 5b.JPG
    5b.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 5c.JPG
    5c.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 5d.JPG
    5d.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 5e.JPG
    5e.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 5f.JPG
    5f.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 5g.JPG
    5g.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 5h.JPG
    5h.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 5i.JPG
    5i.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 5j.JPG
    5j.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 220
more pictures of the royal walkabout

Attachments

• 5k.JPG
    5k.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 5l.JPG
    5l.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 5m.JPG
    5m.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 5n.JPG
    5n.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 5o.JPG
    5o.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 5p.JPG
    5p.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 5q.JPG
    5q.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 287
and finally..

Attachments

• 5r.JPG
    5r.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 5s.JPG
    5s.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 5t.JPG
    5t.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 202
  • 5u.JPG
    5u.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 5v.JPG
    5v.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 185
btw..aside from Canada's red and white Maple Leaf, many of the people in the crow are carrying small green flags. Those are Saskatchewan's centennial flags.

After leaving the First Nations University, the Queen made her way to her hotel where she had a private meeting with Canadian PM Paul Martin.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 407
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 272
The Queen will be officially welcomed to Canada tomorrow at the Saskatchewan Legislature. Coverage on CBC Newsworld will begin at 1:00 pm eastern.

More photos of the Queen's visit

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 232
  • q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 299
  • q3.jpg
    q3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 235
  • q4.jpg