The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees.
Yes, lucky me, and I hope it doesn't rains again. I remember the Diamond Jubilee. My brother, me and some friends got soaked, and we saw nothing because of the fog.

Top chefs battle to make the nation's favourite Elizabeth Sponge - 3am & Mirror Online

Old 08-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Crassly commercial. Edwards' lemon meringue looks like a multi-nippled alien life form. Schreager included passion fruit because she had been to Grenada and the Queen had been to islands. No kidding, read it - that's how it was written. Just tell the kiddies they can't eat the whiskey cake. Roses mean longevity. Choc biscuits are the family fav. Textures coarse for the early years and fine for the latter. And on and on.
But, do go and vote for your fave on the Kenwood FB page!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...
Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...
Maybe not, but the concept that Di, the POW and the QM were stars to the Queen's asking "Where does that leave me?" is insightful.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, she's Queen, she's above the stars!

Other than Diana being made the manure for the article, others came out well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.
Many of those who know The Queen, in a more personal way, way will tell you that she's very secure in her role as Queen and don't mind those who may outshine her. I remember, many people argued that Catherine would be kept in the background during The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They said, the palace officials wanted The Queen to be the main focus, because it was her year to be featured in the spotlight. Well, who was the first member of the royal family to accompany Her majesty & Prince Philip on a tour around the UK? Catherine.

As for Charles- people use his early issues with his former late wife to assume he don't care for the younger, attractive and popular royals to be seen much, because he likes the spotlight to be on him. He's come a long way since those days and I really don't think he minds it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think its because they are bitter or resentful just that its not good for the institution. If all the focus is on Catherine, Harry and William it makes things more difficult especially for Charles who is still trying to gain some momentum leading up to the succession.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Excellent point. That's my impression as well.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think its because they are bitter or resentful just that its not good for the institution. If all the focus is on Catherine, Harry and William it makes things more difficult especially for Charles who is still trying to gain some momentum leading up to the succession.
Another excellent point. The young royals have all the time in the world to create a solid foundation, while Charles' time is running out. He should get more 'air time' than his children, and rightfully so. He is the next King.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Many of those who know The Queen, in a more personal way, way will tell you that she's very secure in her role as Queen and don't mind those who may outshine her. I remember, many people argued that Catherine would be kept in the background during The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They said, the palace officials wanted The Queen to be the main focus, because it was her year to be featured in the spotlight. Well, who was the first member of the royal family to accompany Her majesty & Prince Philip on a tour around the UK? Catherine.
I agree with you in this, and as several people who have been or are close to her have said ''The Queen is not the type of person to mind about that.''

She didn't want Diana to drop her charities in the 1990s, and I have heard from a very reliable source that she wanted William and Kate to take on full time royal duties, but she respected and understood (as she always does) that this was not what they wanted. And there wasn't much money to fund them.

As other here have said, there are no need for them to do more now. William and Kate have done a great job so far, and will do so in the future.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 3 mins3 minutes ago
Canadians living in London, UK and two USA communities (Butte, Montana,Seattle, WA) will also celebrate Her Majesty’s Reign the same day.

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 3 mins3 minutes ago
Thanks to loyal municipal leaders,there'll be Sept 9th Celebrations of Queen’s reign in every province,Yukon and NWT

Reign Celebration | The Monarchist League of Canada
Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Courtier

I live near Butte Montana maybe I will go join them!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I agree with you in this, and as several people who have been or are close to her have said ''The Queen is not the type of person to mind about that.''

She didn't want Diana to drop her charities in the 1990s, and I have heard from a very reliable source that she wanted William and Kate to take on full time royal duties, but she respected and understood (as she always does) that this was not what they wanted. And there wasn't much money to fund them.

As other here have said, there are no need for them to do more now. William and Kate have done a great job so far, and will do so in the future.
Just noticed this. I don't mean to throw cold water on your 'reliable source'... but unless you can give some fact based evidence I'll pass. Many people on various blogs and forums claim to be high ranking palace insiders which you'd have to be to be privy to such information
Old 08-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Just noticed this. I don't mean to throw cold water on your 'reliable source'... but unless you can give some fact based evidence I'll pass. Many people on various blogs and forums claim to be high ranking palace insiders which you'd have to be to be privy to such information
I heard it from my grandfather, but I think both Robert Hardman and Alastair Bruce has said something similar about it.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I heard it from my grandfather, but I think both Robert Hardman and Alastair Bruce has said something similar about it.

I don't mean to be rude but how is your grandfather placed to know this. Is he employed or close to anybody involved

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
With just 12 days to go until the Queen overtakes Queen Victoria as our longest-serving monarch, the comparisons between their reigns will be plentiful.

There is, however, one aspect of their tenures that has long been beyond compare; their experience of foreign travel.

While Victoria reigned over more than 70 countries, she never left Europe. As the map above shows, Queen Elizabeth II, currently monarch of just 16 realms, has visited 116 countries during 265 official visits, making her by far the most travelled monarch in British history. Not bad for someone who doesn’t possess a passport.

Put another way, the Queen has been to Canada more times than the total of all of Victoria’s official foreign excursions combined.
Interactive map: see Queen Elizabeth II's 265 overseas visits in her record-breaking reign - Telegraph
Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Serene Highness

Interesting to see where the Queen has visited most, surprised in some ways she hasn't visited some of the European countries more
Old 08-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

No fuss as Queen breaks reign record | The Sunday Times
Quote:
THE leaders of the main political parties will mark the day when the Queen becomes the country’s longest-reigning monarch with speeches in the Commons.

David Cameron and Harriet Harman, the acting Labour leader, will pay their tributes on September 9, the day when the Queen overtakes Victoria, her great-great-grandmother, after 63 years and 216 days.