The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Very beautiful tribute indeed. I want to see and Charles how the honor to his mother.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful tribute... Hope William will indeed take the leaf out his granny's book...

Old 08-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Thank you! I have no idea where people conjure up the stuff about Her Majesty considering abdication, or the plan to skip over Charles. No indications of either have surfaced, and I doubt that they will.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
If the British people actually had a choice, I bet many of them would actually vote to skip over Charles, although I cannot tell if they would be a majority or not.

Having said that, a referendum can only be called in the UK if Paliament passes a law authorizing it to happen (there is no such thing in the UK as "popular initiatives" as in Switzerland or the United States). And, of course, no prime minister or major party leader will ever suggest skipping over Charles unless Charles himself tells them he doesn't want to be king, which I don't think will happen.

Charles' position is pretty safe then as far as I can tell. The major risk he faces is being too old when he actually ascends the throne and having to accept a regency a few years later (if he becomes ill or incapacitated).
Old 08-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If the British people actually had a choice, I bet many of them would actually vote to skip over Charles, although I cannot tell if they would be a majority or not.

Having said that, a referendum can only be called in the UK if Paliament passes a law authorizing it to happen (there is no such thing in the UK as "popular initiatives" as in Switzerland or the United States). And, of course, no prime minister or major party leader will ever suggest skipping over Charles unless Charles himself tells them he doesn't want to be king, which I don't think will happen.

Charles' position is pretty safe then as far as I can tell. The major risk he faces is being too old when he actually ascends the throne and having to accept a regency a few years later (if he becomes ill or incapacitated).
I believe and I charles excluded not want to be king even for one day. But is not it a little "unfair"? Look belgium. If he had not resigned King Albert who also knows when Philip would become king. And I mean not only Elizabeth I speak generally.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
History will be made in a little over two weeks’ time, when Queen Elizabeth II becomes our longest reigning monarch.

At about 5.30pm on Wednesday, September 9, she will pass her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria’s record of 63 years, seven months, two days, 16 hours and 23 minutes.

To coincide with this momentous occasion, we will be publishing a special tribute to Elizabeth II, charting not only her six decades as our Queen, but her early life and the chain of events which led to her becoming heir before acceding to the throne.

A rich vein of Royal history runs through Norfolk. Successive generations of the Royal Family have divided their time between London, Windsor and affairs of state, and their country retreat at Sandringham, near King’s Lynn.

When King George VI died there, on February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth became Queen.

Since then, the Queen and her family have been regular visitors to our county, both to relax amid their estate’s parklands and pine forests, and to carry out engagements of all kinds. As Norfolk, Fenland and North Suffolk’s newspaper, the EDP has archives bulging with pictures and cuttings recording countless Royal occasions.
Read more: Celebrating the Queen’s long, happy reign over us - News - Eastern Daily Press
Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Fascinating pictures show Queen in EVERY year of her reign | Daily Mail Online

There are so many nice pictures of here smiling, which is not included in this article.

These are my favorites images from this article.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0325025046.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0325066798.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0325200928.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0336366865.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0336367326.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0336366129.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0336367366.jpg
Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Very meaningful and lovely pics! Thanks for posting them... My fav is the pcitures in which the Queen was reading cards sent by kids!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful pictures. What memories must Queen has for all this years.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Majesty

The last picture in ROYAL NORWAY's post has to be my favorite. Her smile lights up her whole face. Just more proof that a simple gesture, such as a hand-made card really means a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Monarchist League @monarchist
The list of celebrations of the Queen’s Reign continues to grow: now at 114. Thanks to all who make this possible. :

Reign Celebration | The Monarchist League of Canada
Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Commoner

On one article it says the Queen will pass Queen Victoria's record on September 10th and on another article in says September 9th. Which is it?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

It's rather difficult to work out because of course no-one knows exactly when the Queen's father King George VI died, only that it was in the early hours of the morning of February 6th 1952. The Palace has apparently worked it out that the Queen will surpass Victoria's record in the evening of September 9th.

There's quite an interesting article in connection with this.

When will Queen Elizabeth II have reigned for longer than Queen Victoria? | Martin Willis - Academia.edu
Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Courtier

This will not be the joyous occasion it was for QV. QV took the throne from an uncle she was not particularly fond of, and who despised her mother. QE2 succeeded a father who died too young, and she loved dearly.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:10 AM
Courtier

On the contrary, Victoria and King William got along just fine. It was her mother he had issues with.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If anything, both George VI and Elizabeth II can both be looked at as monarchs that came to the throne unexpectedly as far as timing but they both put one foot in front of the other and did what they had to do with dedication and a desire to serve their people to the best of their abilities.

Although the Queen loved and admired her beloved father, I'm sure that looking back over her long reign, one thing she can be assured of is that she's made her parents proud. She was very fortunate to have her mother so close to her for so long. QEQM had to have been a very strong anchor for her daughter.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth set to overtake Queen Victoria's record on the throne, with no sign of abdication-
http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/556...er-become-king

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign
Quote:
People in London are being encouraged to line the banks of the Thames on September 9th 2015 to cheer The Queen as she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history. Organisers of a special flotilla of boats which will take to the river to mark the occasion are asking residents and visitors alike to stand along the Thames and clap The Queen into history on this very special day.
What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign

What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.
Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.
Hmm very interesting! that probably explains why as of today The Queen has been reigning for 23,212 Days (and Queen Victoria of course having reign for 23,226 but yet when it comes to years and days The Queen has been reigning for 63 Years and and 201 days with Victoria being 63 Years and 216 Days.

So in Days she has 15 days but yet in Years and days she has 16 days.

Kind of the same problem when it comes to Longest lived Monarch. Victoria lived just a few days longer then Her grandfather George III however when George III was born Britain was still on the Julian Calendar so with the Gregorian calendar Victoria lived longer then George III however with the Julian Calendar George III lived longer.