The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You are not wrong. She is popular with some people but there are many who question her commitment. Diana still sells more than she does and Diana has been dead for nearly two decades.
I have no doubt about her commitment.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I have no doubt about her commitment.
This thread is not about Diana or Kate, but I agree with you in this. I have no doubt about her (Kate's ) commitment either.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
The Queen apparently has a fondness for a Corgi plushy, don't we all? A photograph previously showed one, ever since her first, Susan she has loved them and allegedly has a flair for dog training. I know she is on every stamp in the land but wouldn't it be nice post the event, to have a special set of commerative stamps?
I have two corgi plushies: one that I bought in Buckingham Palace gift shop, and another that my husband gave me back when we were dating, so I can definitely relate to Her Majesty .

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I love how the room in that photo is just cluttered with stuff. From the tartan carpet, that has to be Balmoral?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I love how the room in that photo is just cluttered with stuff. From the tartan carpet, that has to be Balmoral?

Dearest Skippydoo, this photograph was unearth a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly and yes I believe you are right it was taken at Balmoral. If one has spent six decades on the throne, what does a gal do with the assorted gifts one is given? One has to store the descendants belongings as well? Balmoral is her home and where HM goes to relax? If one can't have a plush Corgi and as you have proved all the best people do, along with other odds and ends there well it would be sad?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Special displays to mark the longest reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/n...n-elizabeth-ii
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Dearest Skippydoo, this photograph was unearth a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly and yes I believe you are right it was taken at Balmoral. If one has spent six decades on the throne, what does a gal do with the assorted gifts one is given? One has to store the descendants belongings as well? Balmoral is her home and where HM goes to relax? If one can't have a plush Corgi and as you have proved all the best people do, along with other odds and ends there well it would be sad?
I think I remember that picture being put out not too long ago alongside a photo taken of HM out on the grounds of Balmoral in full Order of the Thistle (I believe) regalia.

IIRC, it was also mentioned that HM had a pillow in that room which read "Its good to be Queen".
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, we know that they love to give gag presents for Christmas. She could have got the stuffed corgi from the family.

I have a friend with 2 corgis - a tan/white one and a black tricolor. Last Christmas, I got her salt and pepper shakers in corgi form that kiss because there were magnets in their noses. What was cool, the shakers were colored just like 2 her two dogs.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think I remember that picture being put out not too long ago alongside a photo taken of HM out on the grounds of Balmoral in full Order of the Thistle (I believe) regalia.

IIRC, it was also mentioned that HM had a pillow in that room which read "Its good to be Queen".
You're right, but she has other clothes on, so its must have been taken on another day.

This is the room where she holds her Balmoral audiences. This room appeared in the documentaries Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work (audience with Tony Blair 2007) and Our Queen (Audience with David Cameron 2013).

Queen documentary goes behind the scenes during Jubilee - BBC News

Cosy and comfy, one's sitting room: Cluttered with treasures and just a little bit messy, the Queen's private retreat | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
LONDON: After 63 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth next month becomes Britain’s longest-ruling monarch but there is little prospect of her stepping aside, as other ageing European crowned heads have done, in favour of her son, Charles.

Those close to Elizabeth - who on Sept. 9 takes the long-service record from her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria - say the 89-year-old has no intention of succumbing to the European fashion for abdication.

That means Prince Charles, 66, already a record-holder himself as Britain’s longest-serving heir apparent, will have to wait longer still until he becomes king.

“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family,” Elizabeth said in a 21st birthday broadcast to the nation in 1947.

The milestone of overtaking Victoria has already prompted speculation as to whether Elizabeth might step aside.

When asked if abdication were a possibility, a senior palace source told Reuters: “Life means life.”

The religious overtones to a British coronation are deeply symbolic for Elizabeth, who as queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

“The queen won’t abdicate, she must not abdicate, there’s absolutely no reason for her to abdicate and indeed constitutionally and religiously she cannot abdicate: she is an anointed queen,” royal historian Hugo Vickers told Reuters.
Read more: Nearing milestone, Queen Elizabeth shows no sign of stepping aside
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 8h8 hours ago
The BBC will show a documentary called "The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria” marking HM becoming UK’s longest-reigning monarch.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 7h7 hours ago
The documentary, broadcast on 6th September, will compare the long reigns of both Elizabeth II and her great-great-grandmother Victoria.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The BBC will show a documentary called "The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria” marking HM becoming UK’s longest-reigning monarch.

The documentary, broadcast on 6th September, will compare the long reigns of both Elizabeth II and her great-great-grandmother Victoria.
Nice :) Will be fun to see :) (God forbidd something happens on like... the 7th!)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Nice :) Will be fun to see :) (God forbidd something happens on like... the 7th!)
You read my mind. In Russia, it's considered bad luck to celebrate any personal milestones before they actually occur. I was thinking that if something (heaven forbid) were to happen, we'd be preparing for something entirely different. I'm crossing my fingers that all will be well, and we'll see Her Majesty reigning for a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Courtier

There are regularly rehersals for state funerals, held in the middle of the night in London.
The BBC also allegedly does practice runs, on one occassion allegedly the Queen Mothers death was leaked, much to her amusement. The one major occassion they were wrong footed was when Diana, Princess of Wales died. On every foreign trip members of the Royal Family have suitable mourning packed, just in case.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

The Royal House will celebrate this special time of the reign of Queen?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There are regularly rehersals for state funerals, held in the middle of the night in London.
The BBC also allegedly does practice runs, on one occassion allegedly the Queen Mothers death was leaked, much to her amusement. The one major occassion they were wrong footed was when Diana, Princess of Wales died. On every foreign trip members of the Royal Family have suitable mourning packed, just in case.
That makes sense to travel with suitable mourning clothing, particularly with the age Philip and Elizabeth are, but I can't imagine how odd it must feel every time they go on a trip and they have to make sure their black suit and tie or dress are packed just in case. Must be such an odd feeling.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
That makes sense to travel with suitable mourning clothing, particularly with the age Philip and Elizabeth are, but I can't imagine how odd it must feel every time they go on a trip and they have to make sure their black suit and tie or dress are packed just in case. Must be such an odd feeling.
My same feeling. But packing for a tour is probably a huge enterprise so I doubt they pack all the bags themselves. So it could be that the person helping them always packs the mourningclothes in a way to avoid that feeling :) I hope so at least!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

BBC to broadcast special documentary as Queen becomes longest-reigning Monarch
Quote:
On the 9th of September this year, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will make history as she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history. To mark the occasion, BBC One will be airing a documentary, ‘The Queen’s Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria’.

Until September 9, Queen Victoria, the current Queen’s great-great-grandmother, is the longest reigning monarch, having sat for 63 years and seven months on the throne.

The hour long documentary, which will be presented by Sophie Raworth, looks at the reigns of both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria, asking how they have managed to provide such enduring stability in an ever-changing world.

Head of BBC Events, Phil Dolling, says: “For all of us alive, today, September 9th, is something we will not know again in our lifetimes – a British monarch reigning for more than 63 years and seven months. It’s a remarkable achievement and we’re delighted to be able to pay tribute to Her Majesty the Queen with this documentary.”
Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Sounds like it has potential :) I wonder if it's "just" old clips put together in a new way or if they have been able to make interviews with some "significant" poeple or some exclusive clip :)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Courtier

I would expect The BBC to pull their fingers out and create something wonderful. It is an incredible achievement and a part of the countries history.