Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last picture in ROYAL NORWAY's post has to be my favorite. Her smile lights up her whole face. Just more proof that a simple gesture, such as a hand-made card really means a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

On one article it says the Queen will pass Queen Victoria's record on September 10th and on another article in says September 9th. Which is it?

Last edited:
There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.

This will not be the joyous occasion it was for QV. QV took the throne from an uncle she was not particularly fond of, and who despised her mother. QE2 succeeded a father who died too young, and she loved dearly.

On the contrary, Victoria and King William got along just fine. It was her mother he had issues with.

If anything, both George VI and Elizabeth II can both be looked at as monarchs that came to the throne unexpectedly as far as timing but they both put one foot in front of the other and did what they had to do with dedication and a desire to serve their people to the best of their abilities.

Although the Queen loved and admired her beloved father, I'm sure that looking back over her long reign, one thing she can be assured of is that she's made her parents proud. She was very fortunate to have her mother so close to her for so long. QEQM had to have been a very strong anchor for her daughter.

A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign
People in London are being encouraged to line the banks of the Thames on September 9th 2015 to cheer The Queen as she becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history. Organisers of a special flotilla of boats which will take to the river to mark the occasion are asking residents and visitors alike to stand along the Thames and clap The Queen into history on this very special day.

What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.

A wave of applause for The Queen at a river based tribute marking her historic reign

What's the point? She will be in Scotland, and I am planning to be there too.

Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees. :whistling:

There have been a number of different dates put forward over the years but the 'official' date is now the 9th. It all comes down to counting days - which meant taking account of days in the various months as well as leap years and then working out the approximate hour that King George VI died due to no one really knowing but the evidence suggesting it was shortly after he retired that night rather than closer to when he was found dead.

In terms of simple years and days the date is different than when counting the exact number of days. Victoria, for instance, lived through 15 leap years or February 29th (1900 wasn't a leap year as it isn't divisible by 400) while Elizabeth has been Queen for 16 leap years - remembering that she had 1952 as the first and again had 2000 as a leap year). That is one extra day which also helps bring back the date from the 10th to the 9th.

Hmm very interesting! that probably explains why as of today The Queen has been reigning for 23,212 Days (and Queen Victoria of course having reign for 23,226 but yet when it comes to years and days The Queen has been reigning for 63 Years and and 201 days with Victoria being 63 Years and 216 Days.

So in Days she has 15 days but yet in Years and days she has 16 days.

Kind of the same problem when it comes to Longest lived Monarch. Victoria lived just a few days longer then Her grandfather George III however when George III was born Britain was still on the Julian Calendar so with the Gregorian calendar Victoria lived longer then George III however with the Julian Calendar George III lived longer.

Although I see your point and the Queen, herself, will be no where near the Thames, it can and does give the people something to participate in and feel a part of this historic occasion.

Lucky you being in Scotland. Can you drive over and pick me up on the way there? Its only a hop, skip and a jump across the Pond. Turn left at the White House and follow the trees. :whistling:

Yes, lucky me, and I hope it doesn't rains again. I remember the Diamond Jubilee. My brother, me and some friends got soaked, and we saw nothing because of the fog.

Top chefs battle to make the nation's favourite Elizabeth Sponge - 3am & Mirror Online

Last edited:

Crassly commercial. Edwards' lemon meringue looks like a multi-nippled alien life form. Schreager included passion fruit because she had been to Grenada and the Queen had been to islands. No kidding, read it - that's how it was written. Just tell the kiddies they can't eat the whiskey cake. Roses mean longevity. Choc biscuits are the family fav. Textures coarse for the early years and fine for the latter. And on and on.
But, do go and vote for your fave on the Kenwood FB page! :lol:

Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...

Last edited:
Hmmm the paragraph about Diana will not please everyone ...

Maybe not, but the concept that Di, the POW and the QM were stars to the Queen's asking "Where does that leave me?" is insightful.

Well, she's Queen, she's above the stars!

Other than Diana being made the manure for the article, others came out well.

That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.

That's why I say the Queen and Charles don't want/like the younger royals overshadowing them. People always dismiss this suggestion but I think it does weigh in on decisions surrounding the 'role' of the younger royals during this current reign.

Many of those who know The Queen, in a more personal way, way will tell you that she's very secure in her role as Queen and don't mind those who may outshine her. I remember, many people argued that Catherine would be kept in the background during The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They said, the palace officials wanted The Queen to be the main focus, because it was her year to be featured in the spotlight. Well, who was the first member of the royal family to accompany Her majesty & Prince Philip on a tour around the UK? Catherine.

As for Charles- people use his early issues with his former late wife to assume he don't care for the younger, attractive and popular royals to be seen much, because he likes the spotlight to be on him. He's come a long way since those days and I really don't think he minds it.

I don't think its because they are bitter or resentful just that its not good for the institution. If all the focus is on Catherine, Harry and William it makes things more difficult especially for Charles who is still trying to gain some momentum leading up to the succession.

Last edited:

Excellent point. That's my impression as well.

I don't think its because they are bitter or resentful just that its not good for the institution. If all the focus is on Catherine, Harry and William it makes things more difficult especially for Charles who is still trying to gain some momentum leading up to the succession.

Another excellent point. The young royals have all the time in the world to create a solid foundation, while Charles' time is running out. He should get more 'air time' than his children, and rightfully so. He is the next King.

Many of those who know The Queen, in a more personal way, way will tell you that she's very secure in her role as Queen and don't mind those who may outshine her. I remember, many people argued that Catherine would be kept in the background during The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They said, the palace officials wanted The Queen to be the main focus, because it was her year to be featured in the spotlight. Well, who was the first member of the royal family to accompany Her majesty & Prince Philip on a tour around the UK? Catherine.

I agree with you in this, and as several people who have been or are close to her have said ''The Queen is not the type of person to mind about that.''

She didn't want Diana to drop her charities in the 1990s, and I have heard from a very reliable source that she wanted William and Kate to take on full time royal duties, but she respected and understood (as she always does) that this was not what they wanted. And there wasn't much money to fund them.

As other here have said, there are no need for them to do more now. William and Kate have done a great job so far, and will do so in the future.

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 3 mins3 minutes ago
Canadians living in London, UK and two USA communities (Butte, Montana,Seattle, WA) will also celebrate Her Majesty’s Reign the same day.

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 3 mins3 minutes ago
Thanks to loyal municipal leaders,there'll be Sept 9th Celebrations of Queen’s reign in every province,Yukon and NWT

Reign Celebration | The Monarchist League of Canada

I agree with you in this, and as several people who have been or are close to her have said ''The Queen is not the type of person to mind about that.''

She didn't want Diana to drop her charities in the 1990s, and I have heard from a very reliable source that she wanted William and Kate to take on full time royal duties, but she respected and understood (as she always does) that this was not what they wanted. And there wasn't much money to fund them.

As other here have said, there are no need for them to do more now. William and Kate have done a great job so far, and will do so in the future.

Just noticed this. I don't mean to throw cold water on your 'reliable source'... but unless you can give some fact based evidence I'll pass. Many people on various blogs and forums claim to be high ranking palace insiders which you'd have to be to be privy to such information ;) :whistling:

Just noticed this. I don't mean to throw cold water on your 'reliable source'... but unless you can give some fact based evidence I'll pass. Many people on various blogs and forums claim to be high ranking palace insiders which you'd have to be to be privy to such information ;) :whistling:

I heard it from my grandfather, but I think both Robert Hardman and Alastair Bruce has said something similar about it.

I heard it from my grandfather, but I think both Robert Hardman and Alastair Bruce has said something similar about it.

I don't mean to be rude but how is your grandfather placed to know this. Is he employed or close to anybody involved

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

With just 12 days to go until the Queen overtakes Queen Victoria as our longest-serving monarch, the comparisons between their reigns will be plentiful.

There is, however, one aspect of their tenures that has long been beyond compare; their experience of foreign travel.

While Victoria reigned over more than 70 countries, she never left Europe. As the map above shows, Queen Elizabeth II, currently monarch of just 16 realms, has visited 116 countries during 265 official visits, making her by far the most travelled monarch in British history. Not bad for someone who doesn’t possess a passport.

Put another way, the Queen has been to Canada more times than the total of all of Victoria’s official foreign excursions combined.
Interactive map: see Queen Elizabeth II's 265 overseas visits in her record-breaking reign - Telegraph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom