The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I do not think there would be a multigenerational photo.

You have to take into consideration the ages of the Queen and Prince Philip.

The Queen currently hosts her entire family twice a year. First for the Trooping the Colours and the second time six months later, at the Christmas lunch.

It may be too much for the Queen and Prince Philip to host another large gathering.

They undertake foreign tours, so hosting family shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
"Long-suffering heir"?? From my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Well, pre marriage to Camilla, he did appear more dour, unhappy, impatient in general. He was not as hopeful in his public communications. Today, he does not appear to suffer and I credit the Duchess and the balance he has found in life. But it did take decades for this Charles to emerge in print, word and pictures. IMHO.
But, I agree, no reason to bring up the past to sell news. Because that's the point and Seb's goal.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
On 9th September, Queen Elizabeth II will become Britain's longest serving monarch.

A title previously held by Queen Victoria, Elizabeth is set to break that record of 23,226 days, 16 hours and 22 minutes.

To commemorate this historic occasion, ITV News is looking for your memories of Our Queen.
Our Queen: Your memories of Elizabeth II - ITV News
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Queen in the West Country: We want your pictures | West Country (W) - ITV News
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
On September 9 2015, Queen Elizabeth II, at the age of 89, will become the longest-reigning monarch, male or female, of the British Isles.

She will also become the world's longest-reigning female monarch.

Elizabeth's tenure will exceed the reign of her great-great-grandmother, Victoria, who reigned from June 20 1837 to January 22 1901.

Elizabeth inherited the throne on her father George VI's death on February 6, 1952.

Even though people now live much longer, just as in Victoria's time, many British citizens will have been born, grown up, had families and died without knowing any other figure on the throne, other than Elizabeth.
Read more: A tale of two monarchs- Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II | Kent and Sussex Courier
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 AM
Royal Highness

Queen Elizabeth II: Have you met her majesty? - BBC News

News: Oneshot: Queen Elizabeth II: The Longest Serving Monarch: InPublishing

Wolverhampton City Council - 50 children invited to party for Royal Celebration
Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Definetly not silly at all, in my humble opinion.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Photo exhibition and official souvenir china will mark day Queen overtakes Victoria as longest reigning monarch - Telegraph
Quote:
The Queen had insisted she wanted no fuss to be made when she becomes Britain's longest-reigning monarch, but the landmark on September 9 will now be marked with a range of souvenir china and photographic exhibitions at three royal palaces.

The Royal Collection Trust announced today that displays of some of the most memorable photographic portraits taken during the Queen's 63-year reign will go on display at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse on the day she reaches the special date.

Visitors will also be able to mark the occasion by buying official merchandise. A plate, tankard and pillbox with the words "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Our Longest Reigning Monarch" will go on sale at Royal Collection Trust souvenir shops.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

The interesting thing of course is the discussion: was Queen Elizabeth II a good monarch also? Some say that under Elizabeth I England started to become a world power, under Victoria Great-Britain reached the absolute top of its glory. Under Elizabeth II the vast Empire crumbled, the United Kingdom experienced long periods of stagnation and unrest (The Troubles, the economic depression in the 1970's and the 1980's culminating in the Winter of Discontent and "The Enemy Within").

The reign of Queen Elizabeth II initially saw the start of the Welfare State but since the 1980's also a growing disparity between the haves and the have-nots. In her "glorious Reign" (as the Anthem says) also the backbone of British economy became dismantled and sold-out into foreign ownership: British Railways, British Steel, British Telecom, British Energy, British Gas, British Airways, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, British Petroleum, Britsh Aerospace, Cable & Wireless, British Leyland, etc. etc.

Of course, one can say: Queen Elizabeth was not responsible for all this. But Queen Victoria was not responsible either for the amazng expansion of her Empire which is nevertheless associated with her long Reign. So, many congratulations Your Majesty, with reaching such a long Reign. How the Second Elizabethan Era will be remembered by the generations to come, that is an interesting question.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

A very interesting question. But I guess all the world has the same problems more or less not just the ones ruled by HM

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Thanks Rudolph. I believe for alot of people this is a significant moment in time. Some of us have lived through Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilee's, seen in not just a new century but the millennium and now, hopefully will live to see this milestone. Whatever anyone thinks of H.M. and her reign, I doubt anyone can question this woman's sense of duty and work ethic.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For the majority of the people on this planet, HM Queen Elizabeth II has been a permanent fixture throughout their lives and no matter what the situation or what is happening around her in both her public and private life, she has always been an impeccable example of "keep calm and carry on" and genuinely committed to her country, the commonwealth and the people she serves.

Of course, to HM, this milestone probably seems to be just another day in the life of a Queen that's doing what she's supposed to be doing as she has unfailingly for 63 years. To those of us that muse on the life and times of a monarch that has been on the throne as long as we can remember, it gives us a pause to reflect and realize and appreciate a truly remarkable woman of character, strength and dedication.

There will never be another like her. Ever.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

This would say people in the age of Victoria. Nothing like her. But Elizabeth came. Who knows who will be next. Woman of course. (Men kings in England are not so lucky)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've changed my avatar for the occasion, even though it's still August, I just find this photo of HM so beautiful and elegant.

Quote:
The Queen is due to become Britain's longest-reigning monarch next month, and to celebrate, a new exhibition charting her years on the throne is to open next month at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.
Entitled Long To Reign Over Us, the exhibition will open its doors on the 9th September - the same day the Queen passes the record of 63 years, 216 days set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.
A mixture of formal portraits and relaxed family photos, the collection includes the first official photograph of Her Majesty, who is now 89, a black and white profile taken just three weeks after she took the throne in January 1952.
Queen Elizabeth prepares to overtake Victoria as the UK's longest-reigning monarch | Daily Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

She will be remembered as the dutiful Queen who dedicated her life to the service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy. It's the Prime Minister and politicians who are responsible for what happens, and I would say that living standards for most people is much better now than in 1952.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I've changed my avatar for the occasion, even though it's still August, I just find this photo of HM so beautiful and elegant.
I agree, Have you seen her during the Royal Variety Performance? I posted some videos about her appearances in the 1950s.
Royal Variety Performance - Page 3 - The Royal Forums

The Queen was stunning in the 1950s, Margaret in the 60 and 70s, Diana in the 80 and 90s and now we have Kate.

And I loved this picture, taken in 2012.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9914132204.jpg
Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Courtier

In my opinion DOC has not to date hit the glamour stakes of H.M, Princess Margaret or Diana, Princess of Wales. Not by a long chalk, nor does she have the affection levels of H.M or Diana, Princess of Wales amongst the public. People are interested, she sells papers but it doesn't resemble The Diane Mania, I remember. I could be very wrong, that is just my opinion and observation.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

You are not wrong. She is popular with some people but there are many who question her commitment. Diana still sells more than she does and Diana has been dead for nearly two decades.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
She will be remembered as the dutiful Queen who dedicated her life to the service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy. It's the Prime Minister and politicians who are responsible for what happens, and I would say that living standards for most people is much better now than in 1952.

I agree, Have you seen her during the Royal Variety Performance? I posted some videos about her appearances in the 1950s.

Royal Variety Performance - Page 3 - The Royal Forums

The Queen was stunning in the 1950s, Margaret in the 60 and 70s, Diana in the 80 and 90s and now we have Kate.

And I loved this picture, taken in 2012.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9914132204.jpg

And look at whose portrait is behind her and to the left? I've always loved Queen Victoria's Coronation Portrait. I always think I can see a bit of apprehension in her eyes behind the confident "air", for lack of a better term, of the Portrait. As if she's wondering, "Can I really do this?"

She certainly proved she could, didn't she?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
And look at whose portrait is behind her and to the left? I've always loved Queen Victoria's Coronation Portrait. I always think I can see a bit of apprehension in her eyes behind the confident "air", for lack of a better term, of the Portrait. As if she's wondering, "Can I really do this?"

She certainly proved she could, didn't she?

Interesting point. I didn't even notice that. Her Majesty has done a marvelous job. On a completely random note, is that a corgi plushy sitting on a side table? Wonder if she received it from a family member, or on one of the walkabouts...

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Courtier

The Queen apparently has a fondness for a Corgi plushy, don't we all? A photograph previously showed one, ever since her first, Susan she has loved them and allegedly has a flair for dog training. I know she is on every stamp in the land but wouldn't it be nice post the event, to have a special set of commerative stamps?