The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I've been waiting to see a nice family portrait of the British royal family. I thought the best time to do it was during The Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Now that George and Charlotte are here, I think one should be done to commemorate (God Willing) The Queen's 90th Birthday.
And Isla, Savannah and Mia.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Queen to mark record reign with nod to Victorian era - Telegraph
Quote:
Buckingham Palace said the engagement would mark the reopening of a historic railway line in a part of Britain that the Queen holds dear as well as providing an opportunity for her to be seen on what will be regarded as a historic day.

Keith Brown, Cabinet Secretary for Infrastructure in the Scottish Government, said: “It is a great honour for us that Her Majesty has chosen to mark this milestone by leading the celebrations for the opening of the Borders Railway.

Cllr Graham Garvie, Convener of Scottish Borders Council, said: “The Borders Railway is the most significant project for generations in our region and we are thrilled to welcome Her Majesty The Queen to formally open the railway.

“The fact that this occasion coincides with Her Majesty becoming Britain’s longest serving monarch makes it unique in the history of the Borders.”

Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

If it is true the Queen believe it is disrespectful to celebrate becoming the longest reigning monarch in British history, then there will not be a photograph nor a painting to commemorate this event.

This will be the Queen's day.
She is the one who will achieve becoming the longest reigning monarch in British history so a photograph of her family would be inappropriate.

The next possible family photograph that may be released to the public will probably be the 70th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip.

Prince Charles held a party at Clarence House to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip.

IIRC two photographs were released from the 60th wedding anniversary party. One with the Queen and Prince Philip with their four children. The other one was a photograph of the adult members of the royal family (except for the Duchess of Kent).

If photographs of the 70th wedding anniversary party are released they would probably be adults only.

Trooping the Colours is the gathering for most members of the family and there is ample photographs and videos taken of this event.

Next year they may have a slightly bigger celebration to recognize the Queen becoming the longest reigning monarch in British history.

Although her Majesty's 90th birthday will be an excellent opportunity for a family photograph, I just do not think she and Philip can tolerate waiting for a perfect picture with a large group of adults and children.

The family probably takes private/candid photographs at Christmas and at the Christmas lunch but these are not released.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 5 mins5 minutes ago
Two of Canada’s largest cities, Edmonton and Mississauga, joined the list on successive days last week. More to come!

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 4 mins4 minutes ago
As of today, no less than 87 municipalities will mark the historic Reign of The Queen on September 9th.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
It may sound silly, but I would love them to release a whole family picture to mark this milestone of the Queen's reign. Her with her husband, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Yes, a full, multigenerational picture.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The next possible family photograph that may be released to the public will probably be the 70th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip.
I agree.

Quote:
Trooping the Colours is the gathering for most members of the family and there is ample photographs and videos taken of this event.

Next year they may have a slightly bigger celebration to recognize the Queen becoming the longest reigning monarch in British history.
Yes, they may have a slightly bigger Trooping the Colour ceremony next year to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday (they did in 2006), but I don't think that has nothing to do with the Queen becoming the longest reigning British monarch.

Quote:
Although her Majesty's 90th birthday will be an excellent opportunity for a family photograph, I just do not think she and Philip can tolerate waiting for a perfect picture with a large group of adults and children.
The Queen is very tolerant and would have taken it with humor, unlike some of her European counterparts. The same can not be said of Philip, but he had survived it.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Royal Highness

I do not think there would be a multigenerational photo.

You have to take into consideration the ages of the Queen and Prince Philip.

The Queen currently hosts her entire family twice a year. First for the Trooping the Colours and the second time six months later, at the Christmas lunch.

It may be too much for the Queen and Prince Philip to host another large gathering.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone have an answer for me regrading the mirror photos of the Queen ,William and Camilla. Why wasn't it Charles instead of Camilla ? Doesn't make sense to me and a lost opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

When people are talking 'family' photographs are the talking about just The Queen, Philip, their four children and three spouses, 8 grandchildren and three spouses and 5 great-grandchildren OR the entire family including Margaret's children, spouse and grandchildren, all the Glocuester's and Kent's as well?

The first group I suspect wouldn't be that hard to get - although screaming kids might be a bit of a trial - but the latter I suspect is rarely altogether now anyway given the fact that the Duchess of Kent rarely attends royal events (e.g. the last event she attended was the church service in 2013 for the 60th anniversary of the coronation - not even Trooping gets her out and about) and that some of the younger ones live elsewhere.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Late in Victoria's reign photographers would assemble the composite photographs so popular at the time, showing the Queen and all her living descendants. Many of them were foreign royalty of course and it was difficult to get them all together. All the same, to mark this historic event in 2015 I don't see why a group photo of Queen Elizabeth and her family couldn't be taken at some time in the Christmas period.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

They did the family photograph for the Queen's 60th wedding anniversary with everyone bar Lady Louise present for the photograph. The family has expanded since (James, Kate, George, Charlotte, Isla, Savannah, Mike and Mia) but they could still add them all. It could be the same people from the previous photo plus the new additions. It could be done - bigger family photos have been taken successfully!

Only time will tell if we get a new photo next year. I would even be happy if it was a photo of the Queen and Philip with their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, this is a great milestone... I would expect at least a great photo/portrait of the queen... and for once, the whole family could appear too!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well, this is a great milestone... I would expect at least a great photo/portrait of the queen... and for once, the whole family could appear too!
I don't remember where I've read it, but I think we will get an official portrait of the Queen.

And I love this from the spectator.
http://cdn.spectator.co.uk/wp-conten.../elizabeth.jpg
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I don't remember where I've read it, but I think we will get an official portrait of the Queen.

That's really funny, thank you for posting it!

Can't wait for September!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Royal Norway, thanks for posting the great cartoon.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Now that is funny,and the expression on Queen Victoria's face is priceless!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
As this is something she has accomplished, I think we won't see a family portrait. It is a rather singular effort. JMO, though.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
As this is something she has accomplished, I think we won't see a family portrait. It is a rather singular effort. JMO, though.
I'm willing to be too that HM would rather it all just be another day in the life of being The Queen.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:

I love that!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

So funny Smart.