The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Aristocracy

Newsweek has a special edition on the Queen. Lots of nice photos, a few mistakes in the captions, but nice enough.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Two interesting articles from the BBC about the Queen's long reign:

Queen Elizabeth: The many world leaders she has outlasted - BBC News

Queen Elizabeth II: A constant amid gale-force changes - BBC News

Old 09-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen will become the longest serving monarch in British history on Wednesday, overtaking the record previously held by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

Officials have said the event will be low-key, with a private family gathering but not a celebration.

On the day, the Queen will also officially open the £300m Borders Railway in Edinburgh.
Read more: A guide to events marking the Queen becoming the longest reigning monarch - ITV News
Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Courtier

DOC, Camilla is on This Morning tomorrow to celebrate H.M's achievement and I.T.V's sixeth anniversary.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
At midday on Wednesday 9 September, a flotilla of historic vessels, leisure cruisers and passenger boats will take part in a procession on the River Thames to mark the day on which Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest reigning monarch in British history.

This date will mark the 63 years and 216 days since The Queen came to the throne.

The procession will feature vessels such as Havengore and Gloriana, which participated in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee River Pageant in 2012, as well as the fireboat, Massey Shaw. It will begin east of Tower Bridge at midday, with the vessels sounding their horns for one minute. The bridge will lift as a sign of respect and as the procession passes by HMS Belfast, a four gun salute will sound and Massey Shaw will shoot jets of water into the air.
Read more: A Royal River Salute - Totally Thames
Old 09-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 8h8 hours ago
Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is currently staying with the Queen at Balmoral Castle.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The royal rowbarge Gloriana is to join a flotilla of boats in a procession down the River Thames to mark the day the Queen becomes Britain's longest reigning monarch.

At midday on Wednesday September 9 the vessels will set off east from Tower Bridge, sounding their horns for one minute in tribute to the sovereign.

Tower Bridge will lift as a mark of respect and, as the procession passes HMS Belfast, a four gun salute will sound out and the Massey Shaw fireboat will shoot jets of water into the air.

Among the boats will be the Havengore, which was used to transport Sir Winston Churchill's body on the day of his state funeral in 1965, as well as the steam ship SS George Stephenson.
Read more: Royal rowbarge Gloriana to join flotilla on the River Thames to mark the Queen's longest reign | Western Daily Press
Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Letter reveals the Queen's sorrow after King George VI died aged just 56 | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
'It seems unbelievable that my father is no longer here': Heartbreaking letter reveals Queen's sorrow after King George VI died aged just 56

Note was written just one month after young Queen Elizabeth took throne
It speaks of her disbelief at her father's death, and is dated March 3 ,1952
The King died, aged 56, in his sleep on February 6, 1952. The Queen was 25

A touching letter sent by the young Queen to a private secretary reveals her heartbreak and shock over the death of her father at the age of just 56.

The note, written on mourning paper and sent to King George VI's former assistant Sir Eric Mieville, was written just one month after the Queen Elizabeth took the throne, in 1952.

In it she speaks of her disbelief at her father's death, and finishes with her new signature as Queen, 'Elizabeth R'.

She writes: 'It all seems so unbelievable still that my father is no longer here and it is only after some time has passed one begins to realise how much he is missed.'

She added: 'My mother and sister have been wonderful, for they have lost so much – I do have my own family to help me.'

The letter is dated March 3 ,1952, and was sent four weeks after her father died, aged 56, in his sleep on February 6, 1952, the Mirror reports.
The Queen: 63 years and 216 days... and no time off for good behaviour - Telegraph
Quote:
And so it has been for nigh on 90 years. She has never stooped to conquer.

Last month, the trainer Monty Roberts revealed that the Queen had told him she didn’t want any more corgi puppies: “She didn’t want to leave any young dogs behind,” explained Roberts. It was a gentle way of serving notice, but still sad. The Queen without her corgis is as unimaginable as the United Kingdom without the Queen, yet that possibility must be faced.

But not today. We know that Her Majesty starts every morning with Earl Grey tea, the Racing Post and the Daily Telegraph.

So, let me take the liberty on behalf of all this paper’s readers of saying: first class, top notch, played an absolute blinder, couldn’t have done it without you, simply terrific, nobody does it better, the final furlong is a long way off.

Keep it up, Ma’am. Keep it up!

Queen and her lengthy reign
Old 09-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

It's Wednesday the 9th already, here in Australia. THE DAY is only hours away now. This will be very exciting!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To mark the day on which Her Majesty The Queen becomes the longest reigning sovereign in British history, instructions have been issued by the office of the Prime Minister that all buildings of Her Majesty's Government should fly the Union Flag at full mast on Wednesday 9 September 2015.

Local authorities and others are not bound by this request but may wish to follow it for guidance. Devolved administrations are responsible for issuing instructions for the flying of the Union Flag on buildings in their estate and others as necessary.
The reign of Her Majesty The Queen - flag instructions - College of Arms
Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen reflects on 'a remarkable life' as she prepares to become longest-reigning monarch - Telegraph
Quote:
In her 21st birthday broadcast to the Commonwealth, Princess Elizabeth memorably promised that “my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service”.

She could not have expected as she said those words that the burden of monarchy would fall on her shoulders so soon afterwards, but more than 63 years after she ascended the throne, the Queen has never wavered from that pledge.

On a day of history, of celebration and gratitude as she becomes our longest-reigning monarch, David Cameron will express the thanks of a nation for her "remarkable record" of duty.

In turn, Her Majesty is expected to make a brief reference to her achievement in surpassing her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria when she opens a new railway in the Scottish Borders.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Majesty

Can't wait for tommorow to arrive!

I read a day ago or so than a certain journalist said the queen hasn't done anything so extraordnary but keeping on the "firm" or something along those line. Well, isn't that one of the major achievements that a monarch is supposed to do?

My congratulations ma'am...
Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Courtier

I read that the bells on Big Ben are going to toll at the exact time she surpasses the record. Does anyone know exactly when that moment is?

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I read that the bells on Big Ben are going to toll at the exact time she surpasses the record. Does anyone know exactly when that moment is?

No, since it's not known when Victorias uncle passed away, they can only make an estiment.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
No, since it's not known when Victorias uncle passed away, they can only make an estiment.

I know for a fact he died at 2:12 am on June 20th, 1837, and Victoria died around 7 pm or so (not sure) on January 22nd, 1901.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Actually it not known what time the Queen father passed away as he died in his sleep. It was for sure after 1AM. Queen Victoria Uncle William IV died at 2:12am. Victoria died at 6:35PM
Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Actually it not known what time the Queen father passed away as he died in his sleep. It was for sure after 1AM. Queen Victoria Uncle William IV died at 2:12am. Victoria died at 6:35PM
Ah, I mixed it up :P The effect is the same though :P That there is only an estimated time :)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015

Quote:
Ah, I mixed it up :P The effect is the same though :P That there is only an estimated time :)

Around midnight, George VI was seen fiddling with the window latch, so it had to be sometime after that. He was found dead in his bed in the morning, when he did not rouse to the sound of his bath running.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Courtier

BBC news announced live that The Duke and Duchess are in residence in Cambridge at Balmoral ahead of H.M's historic day tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Can't wait for tommorow to arrive!

I read a day ago or so than a certain journalist said the queen hasn't done anything so extraordnary but keeping on the "firm" or something along those line. Well, isn't that one of the major achievements that a monarch is supposed to do?

My congratulations ma'am...
. Do you mean the historian David Starkey? The BBC mentioned him again tonight and how The then, Princess Elizabeth spoke out allegedly against divorce in 1949, I believe but upon becoming Queen never discussed her personal opinion again.