The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
They are great photos some I haven't seen before. Do you know when the one of her with the European Queens and Kings was taken and where ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
It was taken for the Golden Jubilee in 2002 at Windsor Castle.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you I would love to see another photo like that now

Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree maybe some old photo with the old Kings and Queens . Besides Elizabeth know not only the fathers but and the grandfathers of the now Kings.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Thank you I would love to see another photo like that now

I agree, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

More pictures from the same occasion.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a3d8b8e388.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1d353bb9b2.jpg
Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

For me (my opinion only, as always) she is the epitomy of a monarch, she's class personified, she has a great sense of humor and also has the best "we are not amused" face in the world (yes, in the whole world, from Debrecen to Alaska ) when she doesn't like something.

As far as "what has she achieved" i'm getting a bit of a deja vu from the TRF thread "Achievements of Diana, princess of Wales", but for me to name a few things that she did that may have changed things for at least one person in the world: she was one of the first (the first?) royal to visit a leper colony, i think she is a Symbol for many of the Commonwealth countries, she spoke irish on her visit to Ireland, and touched many individual lives

Imo P.Philip is a big support to her, but different than Q.Victoria I've always felt QEII was the true monarch and not steered by her husband; but will leave it at that for comparisons with other monarchs, because as you might have guessed from above, any other comparisons will always have her come out on top

And as i am mainly interested in royalty because of the history of it, i also appreciate that she is both a traditional successor of her father, grandfather etc, but still managed to slowly modernize the archaic monarchy in one which at least will have a chance to continue after her; if she hadn't done that, i think things would start to fall apart real soon...

Oh, and i love her "helicopter entrance" at the 2012 olympics

okay, i'm done now
Old 09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

" This helicopter entrance"
Old 09-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

In one sentence grevinnan.

As a faultless personification of the values of this country, over a period of over 60 years.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 10h10 hours ago South East, England
On 9 September 2015, The Queen will become the longest reigning British Monarch, surpassing Queen Victoria
https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...20149434122241

This week, we will be looking back at Her Majesty's work as Monarch, decade-by-decade
https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...20682081370112

HM: 'There is a motto which has been borne by many of my ancestors - a noble motto, "I serve"'
https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...23016605798400

The Queen's reign:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/P...ublicLife.aspx

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

From the earliest days, The Queen took up her new role with energetic commitment
https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/...66665540562944
Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, she did. She didn't have an apprenticeship, but she put her best foot forward from a very early age.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
This is certainly a very interesting discussion about the accomplishments of Queen EII. She has definitively contributed to the illusion of stability for Great Britain. But what would really have been different had she not been the Queen? Would the British Empire still exist? Would there have been less or more stability for the British citizens?

She has become an icon for duty and service. But what major accomplishments or changes are directly the result of her involvement?
You are kidding, right? Symbols (and the Queen has made herself into a symbol for faithful service and stability) are HUGE. In our country, people freak about assaults on the flag or the right to bear arms. In the UK as I observe it, people honor the role of the monarch. It's the same sort of emotional reaction except one is half empty, the other is half full,
Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Only yesterday i was talking to a woman from the Côte d'Ivoire, [a former French Colony] who was waxing lyrical about the concepts of duty and continuity encapsulated by HMQ, and the example it had given her from childhood and when she came to make her home here. Doubtless there are people in the places you give who feel similarly uplifted by what she has represented in a turbulent world of rapid change.

Personally I feel the same about the Dalai Lama, and the current Pope, although I have no geographical or spiritual allegiance to either man. When I see them smile, or interact with people i feel uplifted.

Your desire to belittle does you no credit. Neither does Starkey's, but at least he is paid for his views.

Thanks for sharing your conversation. For those attacking HM, and that is what it is regardless of whatever window dressing excuse you'll use to "defend" what you're doing, for the simple reason of stirring things up in the thread? If you really wanted an answer to your "question", there it is!! I completely expect that point to be ignored however.

On to far more important people...I was just talking about the Dali Lama the other day when Bishop (Archbishop?) Desmond Tutu was shown in a News Story. Whenever I know either one is going to be interviewed, I make to watch, because I know at some point during it, they'll say something that'll get them laughing and will get me grinning. Those two both sound like gleeful little boys who managed to pull off getting away w/some serious mischief once they get started. The Dali Lama especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
" This helicopter entrance"

Or as it's known here, The Thank God no one else was here Moment, because when HM turned around and we saw it really was her? Well...Let's just say some words I can't say here got said and at full volume too. :o

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Serene Highness

My Silver Jubilee Sox...

... are what I'll wear. I bought them in London during the Silver Jubilee. They are silver with red and blue trim and the ERII insignia. I have worn them on selected occasions throughout the years.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II's longevity has helped anchor Britain during an era of unprecedented change, but has also left the royal family an ageing institution.

The 89-year-old queen, who next week surpasses Queen Victoria to become the country's longest-reigning monarch, shows no sign of abdicating, even if she has stepped back a little from public duties in favour of her 66-year-old son and heir Charles.

Charles's son Prince William is second in line to the throne and his eldest son George third, followed by George's little sister Charlotte -- a strong dynasty that could continue for another century.
Read more: Young royal blood must wait as Queen celebrates landmark news
Old 09-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Video
New coins to mark Queen's reign - BBC News
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
This is certainly a very interesting discussion about the accomplishments of Queen EII. She has definitively contributed to the illusion of stability for Great Britain. But what would really have been different had she not been the Queen? Would the British Empire still exist? Would there have been less or more stability for the British citizens?

She has become an icon for duty and service. But what major accomplishments or changes are directly the result of her involvement?
That is Mr Starkey's question, but now in nice, well-worded diplomatic language.

Of course, Her Majesty is a constitutional monarch. She can not even let a wind escape her without the backing of the Government, so to say. Why is Her Majesty "the epitome of duty"?.

Imagine that King Felipe of Spain suddenly dies today, because he as a heart attack or something, after a Reign of less than two years. Is he then not an "epitome of duty" despite not have missed one enagement at all and dutifully accomplished his complete and full agenda?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

Queen longest reigning monarch: Kellogg's launches Queen Flakes | Metro News
Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

Kelloggs being an American company, of course they would seek to profit from something that is nothing to do with them !
Old 09-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

From the British Royals Message Board: