The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Like what ?
Herself. For 63+ years she's never really missed a day of work, very rarely has called in sick. Has earned the respect of world leaders and kings and queens and the common people globally and has done so without being controversial, self aggrandizing and the only high horse she's ever got on, had 4 legs and eats hay and apples. She's been a beacon of stability through decades of changes and chaos. She has the rare ability at almost 90 years of age to light up a room with just her smile which, to me, is something one cannot fake.

One difference I notice right off between Victoria and Elizabeth is the stamina to keep on keeping on no matter what. Perhaps Elizabeth has been blessed to have Philip by her side for so many years but I wouldn't ever think that when the time does come and Philip is no longer there, she'd not pull the blankets over her head and shut the world out for as long as Victoria did. Her sense of duty will be what keeps her going as long as she possibly can.

Elizabeth is a role model for being a Queen Regnant whereas to be honest, Victoria leaned on her Albert and when she lost him, her world fell apart. Its just how she dealt with things and we all deal with things in our own way and in our own time. I just think Elizabeth is made of sturdier stuff than Victoria was.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I would like to make clear that I do not want to downplay anyone, but here someone is praised for 63+ years. It looks like it is an achievement, while it is not. It is the only job which ends by death (or an own choice). Maybe another person would have liked to work for 63 years too but tja... there is retirement and there is the company's back door...

Her Majesty's very own father, King George VI, had a relatively short Reign. Her uncle Edward VIII had a very short Reign. I dare to say that these two gentlemen have left more impression, to the positive and to the negative, than Queen Elizabeth II in her ultra-long Reign. It is very well possible that -despite the longitude- the Queen will soon be forgotten, like her 100+ years old mother and her sister went surprisingly quick out of collective memory. That is the point Mr Starkey wanted to make and I think he is right.

I dare to say that the Prince of Wales has left more "footprint" than his ever-reigning mother. His disastrous marriage with the previous Princess of Wales, his many activities, his tentacles which spread through all layers of society (the black spider memo's) and his public recorded extramarital affair to the current Princess of Wales, pardon... Duchess of Cornwall, will cause that he will have more profile in history, despite his prospect on a shorter Reign.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I would like to make clear that I do not want to downplay anyone, but here someone is praised for 63+ years. It looks like it is an achievement, while it is not. It is the only job which ends by death (or an own choice). Maybe another person would have liked to work for 63 years too but tja... there is retirement and there is the company's back door...

Her Majesty's very own father, King George VI, had a relatively short Reign. Her uncle Edward VIII had a very short Reign. I dare to say that these two gentlemen have left more impression, to the positive and to the negative, than Queen Elizabeth II in her ultra-long Reign. It is very well possible that -despite the longitude- the Queen will soon be forgotten, like her 100+ years old mother and her sister went surprisingly quick out of collective memory. That is the point Mr Starkey wanted to make and I think he is right.

I dare to say that the Prince of Wales has left more "footprint" than his ever-reigning mother. His disastrous marriage with the previous Princess of Wales, his many activities, his tentacles which spread through all layers of society (the black spider memo's) and his public recorded extramarital affair to the current Princess of Wales, pardon... Duchess of Cornwall, will cause that he will have more profile in history, despite his prospect on a shorter Reign.

I understand what your saying and agree with most of it. I think the Queen is loved by people and it won't be till after she dies that people will think along your lines. I don't want to appear to be dismissing the Queens work over 60 years and the good she has done but you make some very good points
Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Well the Charles will be remembered because of scandals in his personal life while Queen Elizabeth will not remember because they simply had a "boring" marriage for so many years with her Philip . Allow me to disagree. The queen will be remembered for all these years (do not know how many) who reigns with devotion to duty. A Queen who won the respect not only in the country but all the world, I dare say. Sometimes don't need the scandals to stay in history
Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Late next Wednesday afternoon, there will have to be yet another amendment to the royal record books. And, this time, it’s the big one.

On September 9, the Queen’s reign will surpass the 63 years, seven months and two days that Queen Victoria sat on the throne.

Elizabeth II is already our longest-lived monarch, enjoying history’s most enduring royal marriage.

The first reigning monarch to fly in a helicopter, visit every single realm and change a puncture (among umpteen other firsts), Her Majesty will still not be the world’s longest-reigning monarch. That honour, for now, rests with King Bhumibol of Thailand.
Read more: Queen Victoria was not a greater monarch than Elizabeth II says ROBERT HARDMAN | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Herself. For 63+ years she's never really missed a day of work, very rarely has called in sick. Has earned the respect of world leaders and kings and queens and the common people globally and has done so without being controversial, self aggrandizing and the only high horse she's ever got on, had 4 legs and eats hay and apples. She's been a beacon of stability through decades of changes and chaos. She has the rare ability at almost 90 years of age to light up a room with just her smile which, to me, is something one cannot fake.

One difference I notice right off between Victoria and Elizabeth is the stamina to keep on keeping on no matter what. Perhaps Elizabeth has been blessed to have Philip by her side for so many years but I wouldn't ever think that when the time does come and Philip is no longer there, she'd not pull the blankets over her head and shut the world out for as long as Victoria did. Her sense of duty will be what keeps her going as long as she possibly can.

Elizabeth is a role model for being a Queen Regnant whereas to be honest, Victoria leaned on her Albert and when she lost him, her world fell apart. Its just how she dealt with things and we all deal with things in our own way and in our own time. I just think Elizabeth is made of sturdier stuff than Victoria was.
beautifully put. These are my thoughts as well when it comes to Her Majesty.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

That's an interesting take, but I'm not sure about any of that. One of the main reasons why many people aren't looking forward to the next reign, is because The Queen has done such a beautiful job as Monarch, they are afraid of the very controversial Prince of Wales taking over. Many people don't see the light at the end of the tunnel after Elizabeth's reign.

Although, I think Charles will make a good King, mainly because of the example set by his mother, Charles won't have a long reign and won't be the well respected, admired and inspiring Monarch as his mother has become.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Great post, as usual.

Australia Post celebrates Queen Elizabeth II – the longest-reigning British monarch
https://auspost.newsroom.com.au/Cont...arch/-3/2/6060
Old 09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Like what ?
If that genuinely 'escapes you' [rather than you merely being provocative], then i'm not going to waste my time enumerating the ways, [both emotional and practical] HMQ has enhanced the World she has inhabited during her reign..

To many, many millions it IS SELF EVIDENT...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Courtier

I started thinking today, what should I wear to work next Wednesday to honor Her Majesty. I do have a very subtle tiara I could wear and since I don't have any meeting scheduled that day could conceivably get away with it.

Has anyone else thought about what they are going to wear next Wednesday to honor Her Majesty?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
If that genuinely 'escapes you' [rather than you merely being provocative], then i'm not going to waste my time enumerating the ways, [both emotional and practical] HMQ has enhanced the World she has inhabited during her reign..

To many, many millions it IS SELF EVIDENT...
Note that the poster used the phrase "She gives so much to the world". Repeat: the world. That means Her Majesty has left an incredible legacy to the people of Debrecen (Hungary), to the people of Rosarío (Argentina) or the people of Oran (Algeria). Pardon me for making a counterbalance remark to that.

Maybe we can even ask the people in Stoke-on-Trent, Bradford or Nottingham about what the Queen has given "so much" to them, and eeeerh... I dare to claim, most will fall silent after that question, painfully searching in their mind which socially acceptable answer (or not) they can give...

For the rest it is an unblievable milestone for Elizabeth II. Congratulations to her but the provocative question by Mr Starkey what she actually has meant at all in those 63 years was a good one of course.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

St Paul's Cathedral ‏@StPaulsLondon
Long to reign over us!
St Paul's to mark HM The Queen's 63 years and 217 days on the throne.
https://twitter.com/StPaulsLondon/st...74234845765632

https://www.stpauls.co.uk/news-press...erving-monarch
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

Only yesterday i was talking to a woman from the Côte d'Ivoire, [a former French Colony] who was waxing lyrical about the concepts of duty and continuity encapsulated by HMQ, and the example it had given her from childhood and when she came to make her home here. Doubtless there are people in the places you give who feel similarly uplifted by what she has represented in a turbulent world of rapid change.

Personally I feel the same about the Dalai Lama, and the current Pope, although I have no geographical or spiritual allegiance to either man. When I see them smile, or interact with people i feel uplifted.

Your desire to belittle does you no credit. Neither does Starkey's, but at least he is paid for his views.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I started thinking today, what should I wear to work next Wednesday to honor Her Majesty. I do have a very subtle tiara I could wear and since I don't have any meeting scheduled that day could conceivably get away with it.

Has anyone else thought about what they are going to wear next Wednesday to honor Her Majesty?
I may just have to sew some weights into a hem. Pearls will be easy to do. And my largest diamond.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I may just have to sew some weights into a hem. Pearls will be easy to do. And my largest diamond.
LOL about the hem.

Why did I not think about the pearls and diamond, I have both. I bought a (low-cost) three strand pearl necklace because the queen has one.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post

If I could borrow "Granny's chips" from her, I'd happily wear those to work
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is certainly a very interesting discussion about the accomplishments of Queen EII. She has definitively contributed to the illusion of stability for Great Britain. But what would really have been different had she not been the Queen? Would the British Empire still exist? Would there have been less or more stability for the British citizens?

She has become an icon for duty and service. But what major accomplishments or changes are directly the result of her involvement?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Thank you, ROYAL NORWAY . Her Majesty has such a love.y smile. Never get tired of seeing it. Her entire face lights up.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

They are great photos some I haven't seen before. Do you know when the one of her with the European Queens and Kings was taken and where ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community