Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - May 17-20, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Queen to become first British monarch to visit Ireland for a century on May 15 | Mail Online

The Queen will become the first British monarch to visit Ireland for a century when she goes on a state visit in May. Her grandfather George V was the last King to visit in 1911 before the Republic had secured independence.

Relations between Westminster and Dublin have improved dramatically since the historic Good Friday Northern Ireland peace agreement in 1998 so a visit is possible for the first time. But for security reasons the state trip is likely to be confined to the Irish capital.

Irish President Mary McAleese is said to be keen to welcome Queen Elizabeth before her term ends in October. They have met several times.
The monarch is expected to fly out to Ireland on May 15 and stay in Dublin’s Phoenix Park. Although she has visited Northern Ireland 18 times she has never gone south of the border.

The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland

Per @royalreporter Twitter

It's finally happening! Ah, how wonderfully exciting. I was sorta hoping it would be a family affair and Charles and Camilla wld join them but either way, I'm thrilled to bits. I wonder if there will be a reinstatement of the Order of St. Patrick, with the Queen and President of Ireland as shared heads of the order. It wld be a great way to honour those who have worked to further anglo-irish relations.

The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland

Per @royalreporter Twitter

Didn't think I'd be seeing this anytime soon. I wonder what has brought it about.

I am delighted about this visit and throughly welcome it hopefully she visits my town

The Queen's state visit to Ireland

Hi, I'm looking forward to following the Queen's visit to Ireland this week, she'll be laying wreaths etc; and it's an opportunity to 'bury the hatchet' as it were, though I'm intrigued to learn what will be on the menu for the Presidential banquet, an Irish speciality maybe?

Video, Queen In Ireland: Suspect Devices Found In Dublin Ahead Of Monarch's Visit | World News | Sky News

A second suspect package has been found in Dublin, ahead of the Queen's historic visit there today.

The device, found in Inchicore, Dublin, was made safe by the Irish army.

It follows the discovery of an improvised bomb in the luggage compartment of a bus on the outskirts of Maynooth, near Dublin.

Queen's visit to Ireland to go ahead despite bomb | Reuters

The Queen will go ahead with a visit to Ireland despite a bomb being found on a bus near Dublin, the Foreign Office said on Tuesday.

I do hope HM and the DoE have a safe and successful trip to Ireland.

I do hope HM and the DoE have a safe and successful trip to Ireland.

As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/player/#l=8

Last edited:
As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online

It is a minority of people who want to do harm I know, but I understand if people in general may still have reservations.

Still, couldn't have imagined this happening 15 years ago! :)

It is a minority of people who want to do harm I know, but I understand if people in general may still have reservations.

Still, couldn't have imagined this happening 15 years ago! :)

Its a very historic day!

The Queen is wearing Emerald Green.

Its a very historic day!

The Queen is wearing Emerald Green.

I feel a bit funny actually. This seem small but it is actually quite historic and a big deal for Anglo-Irish relations, going back, like hundreds of years.

The Irish for Queen Elizabeth II is An Banríon Ellis II (The Lady Queen Elizabeth II)

DUBLIN, IRELAND - MAY 17: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh step off the Royal Flight as they arrive at Baldonnel Airport on May 17, 2011 in Dublin, Ireland. The Duke and Queen's visit is the first by a monarch since 1911. An unprecedented security operation is taking place with much of the centre of Dublin turning into a car free zone. Republican dissident groups have made it clear they are intent on disrupting proceedings.

daylife pictures

The Queen & Duke have signed the visitors book at Áras an Uachtaráin (The President's Official Residence).The Queen/President with their husbands are now having a private meeting .

It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.

Of the many state visits Elizabeth II has made, this alone ranks as a landmark because of its historic significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom