The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Just looked at the (very good) RTE coverage, and it seems that some groups of protestors are quite small, such as the Republican party Eirigi who had fisticuffs with some members of the UDA....

Is it fair to say that both groups were actually not interested in the Queen but their own wranglings?

Garda expect further royal visit protests - RT News
There were around 30 protestors,the Republican party Eirigi are against the State Visit & will do anything the can to try & disrupt it.

To me their a bunch of hostile attention seekers,I always try to ignore them.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative The Netherlands

"Hello" and "Daily Mail" articles

Queen visits Croke Park during second day of first trip the Republic of Ireland - hellomagazine.com

Queen in Ireland: Monarch visits Croke Park, scene of the original Bloody Sunday | Mail Online

Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm listening to the news report on the BBC and there was a jeweller who said that the visit was a positive and they needed as much positivity as they could get at the moment. A local MP around the area of Croke Park said "we need as many friends as we can get at the moment" and that the visit by the Queen is a positive step.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Guests have started to arrive at Dublin Castle ahead of tonights State Dinner at St Patrick's Hall.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

An overview of day two:

The Queen continues her historic visit to Ireland - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Old 05-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

I've been watching the BBC news coverage of the banquet tonight and it's just so exciting to see such wonderful coverage of a state visit. I really am very impressed and delighted to see the President of Ireland interact so well with the Queen, and in such a friendly way. I hope that people around the world will see what a friendly welcome they would receive in Ireland and what lovely place it is to visit.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.
I agree. A very political gesture, IMO, for one who is not supposed to be political. Shame on the government.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Politics could hardly have been avoided on this state visit, laying the wreath at the Garden was a beautiful simplistic gesture. The visit is designed to heal old wounds between the countries.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Politics could hardly have been avoided on this state visit, laying the wreath at the Garden was a beautiful simplistic gesture. The visit is designed to heal old wounds between the countries.
Agree with you Lumutqueen.

The arrival of Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh at Dublin Castle.

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342905

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342869/WireImage

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342908

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342904

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/114342902
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth II The Duke of Edinburgh on their State Visit to Ireland.
May 18, 2011

PPE Agency Ireland
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And the Irish weather seems to behaving itself Grace Chic,its cool but sunny !
Yes thank God weather held off nicely.

I am very touched by both speeches tonight. The Queen went much further then I thought. So far this visit has been a huge success and like John Major has said it will be seen as one of the most important of her reign
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

I have to see it is a lovely gesture of QEII to lay wreathes in Ireland. I feel it shows how far the two countries have moved on and a lot of respect for the people of southern Ireland. However I feel it would be a positive thing if the Irish reciprocated with a similar state visit laying wreathes at the British memorials.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen's Speech leaves Irish President Amazed + Full video

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

RT Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online

who represents the "vast majority" of the Irish people ?...certainly NOT an UNELECTED Mary Mc Aleese from Belfast, whish is incidentally a British city
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.

mmm...members of the general public , never mind protesters, kepy 30 mile away from them. Im sure it was the only "emty" capital city she has ever visited.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

PPE agency has a gallery of pictures form May 18 form various visits the couple made (does not include the banquet dinner)
See here for pictures

and tons of pictures from yesterdays dinner + day events can be found here
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Kataryn - the Queen's visit is about building bridges, and she has acquitted herself very well !

Of course there will always be people who want to perpetuate past issues.

The reality for "ordinary people" is that the two islands of Ireland and Great Britain are able to cooperate with one another.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth II's Historic Visit To Ireland - Day Three. May 19, 2011

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Nobility

as I am nether English, British nor Irish or Scottish or Welsh, i cannot see any Problem with beeing whatever. I'm Swiss - in our country ary living people talking Italian, French, German and Rterromantsch ... and we are all Swiss.

At one point in history the German part of Switzerland dominated and "koloniesed" the italian part of the contry .... but that's long ago, and no more bad feelings are hourbored about that ... Why is it so difficult to move on?