The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post

Incidentally, was it just me, but watching the news yesterday I thought that I saw one or two people introduced to HM in a line-up actually make small bows of acknowlegement?

Alex
I noticed that too,that was at Trinity College yesterday.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Courtier

Why thank you An Ard Ri - I tend to 'watch the News' whilst catching up with the 101 things I have to do when I get home from work, with the result that I don't always 'look up in sufficient time' to catch the interesting bits of the transmission.

I therefore think that it was a very nice gesture on the part of those who acknowledged the Queen in this way; as a Republic, Irish Citizens are of course not duty-bound to do so, and in my very humble opinion this ranks as indicative of a very warm welcome.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why thank you An Ard Ri - I tend to 'watch the News' whilst catching up with the 101 things I have to do when I get home from work, with the result that I don't always 'look up in sufficient time' to catch the interesting bits of the transmission.

I therefore think that it was a very nice gesture on the part of those who acknowledged the Queen in this way; as a Republic, Irish Citizens are of course not duty-bound to do so, and in my very humble opinion this ranks as indicative of a very warm welcome.
The vast majority of Irish people have welcomed the visit,from media reports the visit has so far gone very well.

Ofcourse there are people on both sides of the bitter divide that cannot move on,but thats their problem & they won't drag us down to their level.

I see this visit as another significant step forward for Anglo-Irish relations.

The British PM will be in Dublin later today.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

A short clip can be seen at 0:32

Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Aristocracy

See a live stream of the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to Government Buildings at 11:15 at http://tinyurl.com/37cotz6
Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Nobility

Okay, I'm not one to be concerned with the clothes worn by royal ladies. But if I understand correctly the Queen went to lunch at the Irish presidential residence and then she and the President went to the Garden of Remembrance. Somewhere along the way she and the President both changed clothes. It just seems odd to me that, after a high profile lunch, they'd both scurry off to some odd room and change clothes. Am I missing something or does anyone else find that strange?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Okay, I'm not one to be concerned with the clothes worn by royal ladies. But if I understand correctly the Queen went to lunch at the Irish presidential residence and then she and the President went to the Garden of Remembrance. Somewhere along the way she and the President both changed clothes. It just seems odd to me that, after a high profile lunch, they'd both scurry off to some odd room and change clothes. Am I missing something or does anyone else find that strange?
Perhaps you should look to the sombreness of the occasion which took place after lunch.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen & Duke at Government Buildings in central Dublin earlier this morning.

Getty Images

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I haven't got used to the "new" Taoiseach, Enda Kenny yet.

He cuts a good figure, compared with his predecessors.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

I see this visit as another significant step forward for Anglo-Irish relations.
I do so hope you are right An Ard Ri. Without wishing to take the thread too off-topic, I do hope that a respectful way can be found to take Anglo-Ireland relations forward. For my own part, I often visit Dublin and did so at the height of the troubles; despite my very English accent, I was always treated with the utmost courtesy and politeness by everyone I encountered, and I do hope that the difficulties can now be put behind our two nations.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I do so hope you are right An Ard Ri. Without wishing to take the thread too off-topic, I do hope that a respectful way can be found to take Anglo-Ireland relations forward. For my own part, I often visit Dublin and did so at the height of the troubles; despite my very English accent, I was always treated with the utmost courtesy and politeness by everyone I encountered, and I do hope that the difficulties can now be put behind our two nations.
I'm very glad to hear that Diarist,I believe the majority here always treat our British visitors with respect & warmth that they deserve.(I have paternal British ancestry myself.)

The Queen & Duke visit the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin.

Getty Images

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip during a tour of the Guinness Storehouse, one of Ireland's most popular sites, in Dublin, Wednesday May 18, 2011. Both the Queen and Prince Philip, on the second day of the first-ever state visit to Ireland, declined to taste the Irish stout.

Daylife gallery

What a lovely spring/summer outfit on the Queen.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Will there be an international incident because Liz and Phil declined to taste Guinness ?? :-)

This from a huge fan of the beverage....
Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Gentry

They seem genuinely interested in the GAA. Although I hope they don't freeze sitting out on the pitch
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Commoner

You can see the Queen live here Live - Day two of British Queen's visit - RT News
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace chic View Post
They seem genuinely interested in the GAA. Although I hope they don't freeze sitting out on the pitch
And the Irish weather seems to behaving itself Grace Chic,its cool but sunny !
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Will there be an international incident because Liz and Phil declined to taste Guinness ?? :-)

This from a huge fan of the beverage....
They might tonight at the State Banquet,personally I hate Guinness,so I don't blame them
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Just looked at the (very good) RTE coverage, and it seems that some groups of protestors are quite small, such as the Republican party Eirigi who had fisticuffs with some members of the UDA....

Is it fair to say that both groups were actually not interested in the Queen but their own wranglings?

Garda expect further royal visit protests - RT News
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Very diplomatic of The Queen to arrive in green....

It would be great to see her in emeralds for the State Dinner.
I know of the Cambridge Emeralds but can someone post a picture of the Greville Emeralds, please??

Larry
Old 05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

I love the aquamarine clips with the blue outfit! Hurray!!!

As for Guiness, I hate it too. I had it when we were in Dublin and thought, hmmmm, no. Could I have a cold beer? Needless to say I got the strangest looks.