The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I loved hm look this morning, nice look for her, in keeping with the green theme I would love to see the Greville Emeralds tonight!
Her Majesty is having a quiet night tonight,The State Dinner is tomorrow night at Dublin Castle.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen¿s visit to Ireland: Elizabeth II lays wreath in Garden of Remembrance | Mail Online

Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen in Ireland
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

Just glancing at their itinerary for Day 2 they have my admiration. I'll be interested to see if they sample a Guinness in the morning it might help sustain them throughout the rest of the day.

I personally hope that this visit will enable the bridge building to continue between the two countries & that both "sides" can respect the memory of those who died in the conflicts.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Commoner

The visit to Ireland is going excellently, It is certainly time to heal old wounds and see reconciliation between Ireland and the UK. It was brave and wise move on behalf of the Queen, Despite security threats it has gone well.

Love her two outfits today.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

QE looked lovely today on her trip.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Gentry

This is a day I never thought I would live to see. I had goose bumps during Both national anthems in the garden of rememberance. I am touched and moved by the respectful was the Queen and the presedent behaved. Historically this is huge. We are finally going forward while The Queen is showing respect to our past. She seems warm and relaxed, this seems to mean as much to her as it does to the people of this counrty. It is a shame it has taken so long as I think this is a country she would have loved to have spent private time but she can be proud that it has taken place during her reign.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I understand that the basic reaction of Irish people to the visit was positive one.Some are very enthuasiastic,the others are indifferent and just a minority protested against it and had a trouble with police.
I think HM made a very wise step towards reconcilliation and decided to move on and contribute to the billateral future projects and not to dwell on the past(even very tragic one).When I saw her on TV,I've observed the reciprocal enthusiasm among two nations.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Gentry

I was in Dublin city centre today and I have never seen anything like it. Saddly due to a minority this cannot be treated as a normal state occasion,like for Obama next week, where we will give him 100000 welcomes. But anyone I have spoken to from all ages and back grounds are delighted the Queen is in our counrty. And as I said before showing respect in the garden of rememberance and tomorrow in Croke Park is huge. I do not expect an apology as Tony Blair did for the famine but the fact the she is showing respect in such places is huge. And we are very greatful.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Courtier

As a huge admirer of the Queen, and as a descendent of the Mayocks of County Mayo and the Cosgroves of County Cork (we think,it may be Kilkenny), I hope this visit will be the beginning of a new era in the relations between England and Ireland. All people everywhere need to look forward with the lessons of the past behind them.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Her Majesty is having a quiet night tonight,The State Dinner is tomorrow night at Dublin Castle.
Thanks for that, then I hope to see the Greville Emeralds tomorrow!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I hope too!

Hope security keeps the royal majesties safe.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 PM

Republic of Ireland visit, is this the first visit by the Queen?

Am very interested in the Queen's state visit to the Republic of Ireland. I know this is the first state visit by a British monarch to the country since independence, but I am curious to know, has the Queen ever been to the Irish Republic before as a private person? What about other members of the Royal Family?

I know she's visited Northern Ireland before, but am curious about the republic. It seems to crazy that a country so close, esp. with all that British heritage, that she has never visited if that's the case. I know there's loads of history though.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicHed7 View Post
Am very interested in the Queen's state visit to the Republic of Ireland. I know this is the first state visit by a British monarch to the country since independence, but I am curious to know, has the Queen ever been to the Irish Republic before as a private person? What about other members of the Royal Family?

I know she's visited Northern Ireland before, but am curious about the republic. It seems to crazy that a country so close, esp. with all that British heritage, that she has never visited if that's the case. I know there's loads of history though.
No,HM never visited Ireland before.As a rule,a Monarch can not visit a country privately without having been on a State Visit there first.And that most certainly goes for this visit.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

MAY 17: Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh visits Trinity College Dublin on May 17, 2011 in Dublin, Ireland.

Daylife picture gallery
Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.
Whilst a Queen has some say in these matters, her agenda (and the trip to Ireland) is set by the government.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Queen to visit Irish massacre site, war memorial
article
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
And in the Majestic Setting of Dublin Castle!

Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh have a full itinerary today & tonight.

I hope the rains stays away.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Courtier

To give a bit of background information to supplement the above, yes, this is the first visit that the Queen has made to the Republic, but I have been told by several racehorse trainers on a good number of occasions that the Queen has wanted to visit Ireland for ages - she has had a lot of 'private' invitations to visit stables and studs, not to mention race meetings. Obviously because of political difficulties she has not been able to do so up to now, but I would not be surprised that, if the State Visit is judged a success,she will indeed make future private visits in order to 'take up' all these invitations.

And yes, I do understand where EIIR and others who have posted in a similar tone are coming from, but at the end of the day I have 'come to terms with this' by taking on board that as the Queen herself was the victim of The Troubles in that Lord Mountbatten was assasinated in a terrorist attack but can find it in her heart to forgive, then I presume that I as a subject must move forward too in a spirit of reconciliation.

Incidentally, was it just me, but watching the news yesterday I thought that I saw one or two people introduced to HM in a line-up actually make small bows of acknowlegement?

Hope some of this helps,

Alex