The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online
It is a minority of people who want to do harm I know, but I understand if people in general may still have reservations.

Still, couldn't have imagined this happening 15 years ago!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirl View Post
It is a minority of people who want to do harm I know, but I understand if people in general may still have reservations.

Still, couldn't have imagined this happening 15 years ago!

Its a very historic day!

The Queen is wearing Emerald Green.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Its a very historic day!

The Queen is wearing Emerald Green.
I feel a bit funny actually. This seem small but it is actually quite historic and a big deal for Anglo-Irish relations, going back, like hundreds of years.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Commoner

ah I like the green!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Irish for Queen Elizabeth II is An Banríon Ellis II (The Lady Queen Elizabeth II)
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

DUBLIN, IRELAND - MAY 17: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh step off the Royal Flight as they arrive at Baldonnel Airport on May 17, 2011 in Dublin, Ireland. The Duke and Queen's visit is the first by a monarch since 1911. An unprecedented security operation is taking place with much of the centre of Dublin turning into a car free zone. Republican dissident groups have made it clear they are intent on disrupting proceedings.

daylife pictures
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
The Irish for Queen Elizabeth II is An Banríon Ellis II (The Lady Queen Elizabeth II)
very nice! :)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen & Duke have signed the visitors book at Áras an Uachtaráin (The President's Official Residence).The Queen/President with their husbands are now having a private meeting .
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Royal Highness

It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Aristocracy

Of the many state visits Elizabeth II has made, this alone ranks as a landmark because of its historic significance.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.
I echo your comments
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen Elizabeth shrugs off bomb alerts as she arrives in Ireland for historic visit | Mail Online
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

HM and PP are very brave. If I had only half of their constitution...

Both HM and the President are spot on in the fashion. If you look carefully, in the third photo, looks like HM has that most current fashionable bias drape to the dress beneath her coat.

Where do they get their energy?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen & The President are now leaving Áras an Uachtaráin after the luncheon in honour of the Queen & Duke for a wreath laying ceremony at the Garden of Remembrance .

Pictures from Zimbio

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/CrFrI...n+Elizabeth+II
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, President Mary Mc Aleese meeting with AnTaoiseach Enda Kenny at Aras An Uachtarain while on the first day of their State Visit to Ireland .
May 17, 2011

PPE Agency Ireland
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh are currently visiting Trinity College in Central Dublin.

The Queen & Duke have just viewed the famous Book of Kells .

Youtube footage from earlier today
AssociatedPress

Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen's visit is a fulfillment of a lifelong ambition for the Queen.

Historic visit to Ireland fulfils the Queen's lifelong ambition - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

I loved hm look this morning, nice look for her, in keeping with the green theme I would love to see the Greville Emeralds tonight!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Commoner

Where can I find hourly program of the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in Ireland?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
HM and PP are very brave. If I had only half of their constitution...

Both HM and the President are spot on in the fashion. If you look carefully, in the third photo, looks like HM has that most current fashionable bias drape to the dress beneath her coat.

Where do they get their energy?

I agree with everything you say. As to the Royals and their energy, I had the privilege of sitting just along from the Queen and Prince Philip on Sunday afternoon at the Royal Windsor Horse Show. Despite the fact that HM is 85 and PP is nearly 90, the Royal Couple climbed up and down the [temporary] stairs in the stand several times quite briskly; in fact I saw the Queen only use the bannisters once, when she put out a hand for a couple of seconds. No sticks or other walking aids were used - and this is for a couple who is 25 years past the official retiring age!

Regarding the Queen's fashion, so far as I could see, she was dressed in the same fashionable bias cut dress both on Saturday [Pink] and Sunday [Green]. Both dresses were cut from lightweight wool and were accessorised with the Queen's 3-strand pearl necklace and complemented by exactly-coloured matching hats. Although there are not usually announcements about what the Queen is wearing at 'private' events like on Saturday and Sunday, I believe most of HM's wardrobe is now referred to as 'Designed in-house', which generally means by her dresser Angela Kelly, who indeed is sometimes actually named. I am not a fashion expert but do think that the Queen's dressing has become quite delightful in recent years - whilst they were alive, the Queen was dressed mostly by the London couturiers Norman Hartnell, Hardy Amies and his assistant Ken Fleetwood and Ian Thomas [originally from the house of Hartnell]; although always 'correctly turned out' by these gentlement, HM seems to look even better nowadays. [I do think it is a hard task for anyone to dress the Queen; she can't look too fashionable in one sense [if only because it makes photos 'date' so much more easily], she always has to 'stand out', so bright colours are essentially, and she also has to be careful not to look 'too extravagant' in these recessionary times. I think her current 'working wardrobe' fulfills these requirements very well.