Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have personal difficulties with the powers that be basically putting the Queen in the position of having no option but to shake the hand of an unrepentant terrorist. The Queen is, of course, very gracious and such a class act that she can put her duty ahead of her personal feelings and get on with it.

The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.

Here's a lovely video of HM and the DoE arriving at this afternoon's party at Stormont in an open topped Land Rover, much to the delight of the 20,000 strong crowd.

Video: Queen welcomed to Stormont by cheering crowds singing God Save the Queen - Telegraph

Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.

What a wonderful crowd. It was nice to hear her supporters singing the anthem and cheering, it was touching. And what a treat for that gentleman who got the chance to meet and talk to her. Memories of long ago shared between the two. :)

Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.

I couldn't have said it better :flowers:. I agree with everything you said.

Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.

It is indeed. Those types of stories always bring a smile to my face, so I can only imagine what Her Majesty and this gentleman were feeling.

The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.

What a wonderful story. Sounds like a wonderful moment for them both.

What a great story!

Queen Elizabeth inspected soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Scotland, during the Ceremony Of The Keys
at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland on July 2, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife gallery **

Has anyone seen this - I got it via Facebook -

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipp 60 years later - HERE

Wonderful! In an ideal world ALL marriages would be this special!

Love the two juxtaposed photos; just timeless. Thanks for posting this.

I love these two shots. The look between them says it all :wub:.

Queen Elizabeth received Alex Salmond, First Minister of the Scottish Executive, in audience by The Queen at the Palace of Holyroodhouse on the second day of "Holyrood Week", on 3 July 2012. Her Majesty also met Scottish Parliament Presiding Officer Tricia Marwick who showed the Queen a book of photographs of Her Majesty's visits to the Scottish Parliament - a Diamond Jubilee gift to her.

Apart from the audiences, the Queen also held several investiture ceremonies; among the honoured was television presenter Lorraine Kelly, who was awarded OBE.

- The Queen with Alex Salmond
- The Queen with Tricia Marwick

she looks lovely in the deep yellow... seriously is there a color she doesnt look good in?

The lime green in NI last week I thought didn't suit her, but that's probably just a personal preferance.

I pity the Queen having to make nice with Alex Salmond knowing that he's doing everything he can to tear her kingdom apart. I'd be pretty sure that the Queen, and the royal family generally, is very deeply worried about what he's trying to do.

Wasn't today the Queen's garden party today at Holyrood? Have we seen any pictures?

I like the two pictures of them. They were in the same pose from back when they were young and they looked at eachother the same way. What sweet pictures. I wonder if they have seen these.

I like the two pictures of them. They were in the same pose from back when they were young and they looked at eachother the same way. What sweet pictures. I wonder if they have seen these.

If you are referring to the picture taken of them for their 60th wedding anniversary then yes they have seen it - the second one was a deliberate re-creation of the first one.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have been in Perth today, July 6.

They visited Tay Street, the Black Watch Castle and Museum, Perth College, University of the Highlands and Islands
and attended a lunch at Scone Palace in Perthshire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** telegraph.co.uk video: Perth honours the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh **

** scotsman.com: Queen recalls fond memories of Perth as she recieves freedom of the city **

** dailymail: Rain? What rain? The Queen enjoys the sunshine in a buttercup coloured outfit on a trip to the historical jewel.. **

Last edited:
Oh the Duke is looking very healthy. Im glad they had sunshine and all were in good spirits. The Queen looked lovely in that buttercup yellow. They are both looking extremely well.

Oh the Duke is looking very healthy. Im glad they had sunshine and all were in good spirits. The Queen looked lovely in that buttercup yellow. They are both looking extremely well.

Yes, His Highness looks great. I see the twinkle is back in his eye (very evident when he was waving from the open car window :D). I think taking it somewhat easy has been a blessing. So glad to see both of them in such good spirits.

Yes, it indeed looks like the Duke is back on his game and hope he remains in good health.

I can see Philip has his seatbelt on, but not the Queen. Not a good idea at any age, let alone when the driver is a 91-year-old in ill health and the passenger is 86.:ohmy:

Last edited:
A representative of the Save Lennox campaign presented herself at Buckingham Palace with a letter asking for a Prerogative of Mercy and for intervention for the case of Lennox. As far as I'm aware there has been no response. If you check out post comments on the Royal Family's Facebook page you will see comments from all over the world beseech ing Her Majesty to intervene.

Lennox is a 7 year old dog who has mistakenly identified as a dangerous breed by Belfast City Council. His family have been battling for 2 years for him to be freed but this week all legal routes have been exhausted. The Queen is one of only 3 people who can help.

Baroness of Books said:
Does this mean that the dog will be put down?

Unfortunately there is a good chance but us Lennox Supporters are trying to keep the hope alive. We have been ringing CNN asking to run the story. We have been bombarding the RF Facebook with messages for Lennox. We have also been emailing the secretary for agriculture and a NI ambassador.

http://www.examiner.com/article/last-efforts-to-save-lennox-the-condemned-dog-of-belfast

This link helps explain more. It is our greatest hope that the Queen is notified of these pleas and intervenes. Offers of re-homing have been coming in from USA, Italy and Scandinavia.

Well I for one think her Majesty should intervene considering she is an animal lover, at least I would think she is. And being that she is supposed to be fair and just she would be an impartial judge and would see that Lennox deserves to live. I think someone should do more. What about the PETA organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom