Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fact that when HM came out of the hospital, she left it as a queen, complete with proper brooch. :-D

Tim Ewart‏@EwartRoyale
The royal standard is flying over Buckingham Palace. The Queen will be there tonight but no official duties this week.

I love that Sophie is stepping in for her mother-in-law. Lovely. It's most likely that she is the only one free but it's still nice and I look forward to seeing Philip and Sophie together. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were already attending so Sophie is just taking the Queen's place as a host.

Hope the Queen feels better soon.

Last edited:
I love the fact that when HM came out of the hospital, she left it as a queen, complete with proper brooch. :-D

Totally amazing! All I can say is that after a few days wrestling with the flu or any other winter bug, I would never come close to looking that good leaving the hospital. I'm glad HM is taking it easy for the rest of the week recouping her strength and stamina. Time for warm fuzzy slippers and a good book.

Totally amazing! All I can say is that after a few days wrestling with the flu or any other winter bug, I would never come close to looking that good leaving the hospital. I'm glad HM is taking it easy for the rest of the week recouping her strength and stamina. Time for warm fuzzy slippers and a good book.

Or catching up on TRF. ;)

more likely to be getting caught uip on the red boxes.

Glad to see the bug was a mild one and that she could leave the hospital so soon.

You and me both. When I come back to work after having been ill for a few days, my coworkers and students kindly tell me that I look as if I've been hit by a freight train. So happy to see Her Majesty looking great and feeling better. Hopefully this week will be full of rest, relaxation, and just some down time in general.

Oh how I wish she would join TRF, and then post fun little tidbits in the threads about herself annonymouslyI! :ROFLMAO:

That would be extremely priceless :ROFLMAO: :D.

Queen to open Parliament on the 8th of May:
Royal - ITV News

An event I look forward to every year.

Peter Hunt‏@BBCPeterHunt
On Monday the Queen will attend her first public engagements since her illness. She'll attend a Commonwealth service and reception.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
The Queen's back to work on Monday after a week off sick. She and the DoE will attend the Commonwealth Day Observance at Westminster Abbey.

Last edited:
Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal #Queen Big question will be whether Queen attends #Commonwealth Heads of Govt Meeting in Sri Lanka later this year? #longhaul

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal if #Queen doesn't attend CHOGM in Sri Lanka this year, a) who goes? Charles? b) how will this go down with C'wealth heads of govt?

Why ministers must move fast to help an overworked Queen:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-help-overworked-Queen.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Very interesting read and I do agree the responsiblity of the Monarchy falls on the older and overworked generation. It's the younger generation that must take up more of the responsibility.

Last edited:
Great article. Interesting that it is suggesting beefing up "The Firm" rather than slimming down as it has been reported that Charles wants to do.

Part of the issue is that the younger royals (Wm. and Harry, at least) are trying to build their own lives which includes military service and the Queen, I'm sure, has no intention of slowing down--at least not very much.

There are so many things to consider for "the firm". I don't see the Queen cutting back without much argument and protesting. She sees her role as her God given destiny. And we've seen just how much the DoE has "cut back". However, this scare will surely get the attention of William and Harry especially. They love their grandmother dearly and I'm sure both are looking long and hard at their futures, and will no doubt see it is time to step up and help.

Well being Head of The Commonwealth is a specific position. I don't see how anyone can just "step in" for her. She either attends or she doesn't. It is not as if there is a Deputy Head, and there is no guarantee that when Charles accends the throne he will be asked to assume that position by the heads of government. It is not a hereditary position.

I'm assuming The Queen would send Charles & Camilla if she couldn't attend. He would be there on her behalf.

I remain convinced that the reason the Queen is still so busy is because she wants to be. I very much doubt that anyone, whether family or government ministers, will be able to tell her how much she should or should not be doing.

As Princess Elizabeth, she wasn't a full-time royal until about a year before her father died, even though he was in very poor health for several years beforehand. George VI didn't interrupt his daughter's happy family time with her husband and children in Malta when his health was obviously declining.

She will know more than anyone how important those early years of relative 'normality' were for her marriage and her own personal happiness.

I have no doubt The Queen will continue to do as much as she can. Although, there will come a time will she most likely will want to slow down a bit for health reasons.
She herself has admitted that she can't do everything and be everywhere anymore. She also mentioned that she's getting "slower and older" in the documentary 'Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work.'

The Queen is about to turn 87 next month and The Duke of Edinburgh will be turning 92 this June. I think the younger royals should at least step up more. I'm hoping the Cambridge's will become fulltime royals by the end of this year. Harry has already said that he's now looking at doing more official duties too.

3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is pleased to announce that His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, will present a new Regimental Colour to the 3rd Battalion in Toronto, on April 27, 2013:
His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh To Present New Regimental Colour To 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment | Ottawa Citizen

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has been the Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment since December 1953.

I found the location and time for anybody who's interested:

Events

Presentation of Colours: 10:00 – 11:00 a.m., front of Legislative Assembly, Queen's Park
. Following a series of dynamic military displays on the front lawn, at 10 a.m. the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, will be presented with new Colours in front of the Ontario Legislature at Queen's Park.

I know HMQ and DoE are getting older - and people say the younger ones should "step up". But step up and do what? It will only work if (big if) these two decide to give up something and give it to others. And (also big) they want to do so.

They don't want to - the expression (sorry if this offends anyone) "dying in harness" - applies to these 2. They want to go on; they are programmed to go on. If they stop, then there is nothing for them. This is what keeps them going.

Its catch 22.

I know HMQ and DoE are getting older - and people say the younger ones should "step up". But step up and do what? It will only work if (big if) these two decide to give up something and give it to others. And (also big) they want to do so.

They don't want to - the expression (sorry if this offends anyone) "dying in harness" - applies to these 2. They want to go on; they are programmed to go on. If they stop, then there is nothing for them. This is what keeps them going.

Its catch 22.

I agree. I think the biggest thing the next generations can do is take the international travel off their plate. I think those long packed trips are just too much. But that is something all seem to have assumed and taken on. And it is something compatible with W&K and Harry's current part time royal status.

:previous: good point, well made. overseas for younger royals with Charles and Camilla focussing on The Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom