Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this before. She is probably in A LOT of pain and has a fever. She will have to take some really strong antibiotics.
I'm sure she will be okay, nevertheless I do hope she is feeling better soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may be being more cautious as she is supposed to leave for Rome next week.

Swansea ceremony to go ahead without Queen:
Royal - ITV News

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal Queen's semi-private visit to Rome next week (for lunch with Italian President) still scheduled. We'll know more in coming days

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal#royal also the phrase "She will be assessed in the coming days" suggests things under control. Still, the #Queen is 86.

Last edited:
I saw this on twitter when I checked in after my kids left to go home, and I certainly hope Her Majesty will feel better soon. I'm sure she's receiving the best medical care possible, and staying in Windsor allows for quiet and familiar surroundings.

Is the new flu (stomach illness, general feeling of death immanent) running through England as it is running through the US? Gastroenteritis is a generic diagnosis meaning inflamed tummy and would be a catch all name for many kinds of kind of tummy trouble.
Best wishes, in any case.

Well, that is one thing the Prince Philip's illness has taught BP. Iit used to be that the intimate details of one's health were very, very, private. But now they know that information is your friend and with all this in depth information to hand nobody is going to go off half cocked and declare HM is on her death bed or had a heart attack, or . . .

Knowledge is power. Good luck and get wll soon Your Majesty, and don't try jumping from you sickbed to your usual full-on workload way too soon! :flowers:

Last edited:
Is the new flu (stomach illness, general feeling of death immanent) running through England as it is running through the US? Gastroenteritis is a generic diagnosis meaning inflamed tummy and would be a catch all name for many kinds of kind of tummy trouble.
Best wishes, in any case.

In a word, yes.

A nasty illness like this is not good for an 86yr old. Hope HM recovers well and doesn't rush back into work. Actually she could easily cut her load in half again and let some of the younger royals take up more of her patronages. She and Prince Philip need to take it easier in their twilight years and spend more quality time with grand children & great grandchildren if that suits them.

A nasty illness like this is not good for an 86yr old. Hope HM recovers well and doesn't rush back into work. Actually she could easily cut her load in half again and let some of the younger royals take up more of her patronages. She and Prince Philip need to take it easier in their twilight years and spend more quality time with grand children & great grandchildren if that suits them.

To spend quality time with her grandchildren she will have to visit places and people that will make all her 39 predecessors turn in their graves.
And God only knows what will her great grand children be upto:bang:
PS: Just in a lighter vein, about how generation by generation, the words fun/relaxing/quality time is becoming more and more synonymous with clubbing/booze/coke/dope etc..Hope HM is approving these 'changes' although not amused:lol:

And BTW, is anyone aware of the Court Circular..Are all 'senior' royals ' too busy to stand in for the Swansea ceremony? Or is it 'not that big deal'? I knew Prince of Wales from Scotland to cover up for HM in an Investiture, but that is different..Surely, Will, Kate and Harry one of them could have come to present the colours, rushing back from the wedding. And moreover it would have been great PR boost..

Last edited:
The Queen has a husband, three sons, two daughter-in-laws and one daughter (whose husband does not perform individual royal duties). Why would the grandchildren cancel attending the wedding of a close friend? If the visit was important the queen and her immediate family would have figured something out.

If you read my post, I enquired whether all senior royals (meaning her children also) were busy at that time. I only suggested one of Will/Kate/Harry to go there in case if others (Charles/Camilla/Andrew/Edward/Anne/Sophie) had 'official' engagements which cant be cancelled, one of them can be excused for skipping this wedding and standing for HM when she really needs them..Whats wrong if either wife or husband go to the wedding and the other takes up what they always meditate.."DUTY"..
And dont the younger ones and more 'central' ones be more enthusiastic about taking up work than older ones..

The Lord Lieutenant is the appropriate person to stand in for HMQ as he is her representative in the County. Royals very rarely stand in for royals, especially at short notice. The Lord Lieutenant was attending anyway.

Ok thanks for the info, cepe. I was under the impression that someone should have covered, since when the Queen missed an Investiture a few days ago, the PoW rushed in from Scotland just in a few hours notice.
Ok maybe that is because Investitures are done only by Queen/Charles/Anne, and this Swansea ceremony is not that 'demanding'..

When did Charles 'rush' in for The Queen?

Ok see I was saying, in a lighter vein, that to spend quality time with her grand-children, The Queen will have to visit their pubs, and maybe even Vegas. I also added that it is a generalised statement about how generation by generation, people are seeing clubbing and boozing as only ways of relaxation.
This is such a mass generalization it's ridiculous. 1. The younger members of the BRF have shown that while they may enjoy going to clubs and what not they also enjoy doing other things that are "relaxing." HM has many shared interests with her grandchildren, including hunting/shooting, horses, polo, etc.
2. In their time many older and past members of the BRF have shown an enjoyment of variations of clubbing and boozing.

YThe investiture to be held on 11th Oct 2012.
The Queen dropped due to sore back and Prince Charles rushed from Scotland. If you are still not content, please go the below link, and see line number 12 of the main actual news..
Bad back forces Queen to cancel public appearance at investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle | Mail Online
HM doesn't cancel engagements or appearances simply because of a "sore back." HM suffers from chronic back pain and it was decided that the investiture would cause her excruciating pain because of the required bending and in general long hours that come with investitures.

There's no reason to believe that Charles "rushed" in. He flew down to fill a role that, when his mother is unable to do so, he or his sister are the only people who can do so.

And BTW, is anyone aware of the Court Circular..Are all 'senior' royals ' too busy to stand in for the Swansea ceremony? Or is it 'not that big deal'? I knew Prince of Wales from Scotland to cover up for HM in an Investiture, but that is different..Surely, Will, Kate and Harry one of them could have come to present the colours, rushing back from the wedding. And moreover it would have been great PR boost..

I think that most of us here that follow the BRF also read Iluvbertie's weekly updates on the engagements and duties performed by each of the working royals. She bases her information on the Court Circular and really does an amazing job. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/2013-annual-engagements-thread-34352.html

I really don't think that HM would ever ask any of her family to cancel or rush back from any plans they already have made previously and in fact would probably feel quite bad about it. I would imagine she, herself feels bad that she had to cancel as its not in her nature to call something off.

As was stated, the person that was supposed to stand in for the Queen did so it was handled appropriately.

The posts by members sniping at each other have been edited or removed.

Such posts don't make for a very comfortable atmosphere. Most people come to these threads to relax, read and enjoy, not to find themselves in the middle of a running narky personal dispute between a few members. When it jumps across threads as it has today it's like a contagion.

Could members please think twice before feeling they need to score points in a tit for tat exercise. It spoils it for everyone.

thanks.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Sometimes I get lost in "what gets announced where" for the Queen. I tried to find the original announcement from the Queen/Palace/? about the visit to Rome. It does not come up on Royal.gov. (Press release, media info etc.) or the British Monarchy page on Facebook (which has the Court Circular information).

Where does one go to find the original announcement for this sort of thing? Thanks in advance for any help.

For the information of members:

The CC records events AFTER they have happened and that The Queen regards as official.

The Future Events list gives some idea of upcoming engagements but doesn't record them all e.g. one month last year the FE predicted 131 engagements for the month ahead of time but in the end there were over 300 done.

There are also engagements that aren't recorded in the CC e.g. earlier this year Charles gave a speech at a conference but that wasn't in the CC (like the York girls visit to Germany on behalf of the government).

So just because there is nothing in the FE or CC doesn't mean that other senior royals didn't have something on.

I know, iluvbertie, and thanks for the reply. But where do the announcements I cannot find live? I find this maddening. The Facebook page and the royal.gov site would have it if it were an incoming State Visit. The logic of it not being there because it is outgoing just makes the type A part of my personality crazy. Does it make sense to you? If so, explain it and you will save me some sleep. :lol: Thanks for the rant. ;)

The Queen's upcoming visit to Rome isn't a State Visit -but an official one that includes a meeting with the President. The original announcement was made by Buckingham Palace back on 17th January. I think it was on the British Monarchy website for a day or two at the time. Official visits aren't the same as State Visits - State Visits include the two state dinners - one The Queen hosts and one where the Head of State of the other country is the host. Official visits are more a simple visit with some other events but without the formality of a State Visit.

The following was what was released from BP http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...dTheDukeofEdinburghwillvisitRome6Februar.aspx

There are normally two state visits in and two out a year with a number of other visits possible as well.

The Prince of Wales and the Duke of York have their own websites on which sometimes their upcoming events are listed.

Sometimes it isn't announced for security reasons as well as finalisation of the actual itinerary. There are numerous reasons why things aren't announced more than a day or so in advance.

It is annoying that people can't plan ahead of time to see them from the information that they are giving out.

Last edited:
Here's hoping she makes a quick recovery. I can't imagine she will be particularly happy to have cancelled her trip to Rome.

I had a feeling she would end up going to the hospital. She must be in really bad shape and I hope she will be okay soon.

I got worried yesterday when there was no update from the Palace about her health. I really hope Her Majesty makes a very speedy recovery!!!

I had a feeling she would end up going to the hospital. She must be in really bad shape and I hope she will be okay soon.

My grandmother just went through a similar episode in January. While she didn't end up in the hospital, the doctors were mostly concerned about the effects of dehydration. Hopefully the hospital is just an environment to get HM on an IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom