The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh: Official Visit to Rome - 3 April 2014

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...llvisitRo.aspx

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Rome on Thursday 3rd April. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting at the invitation of the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit the Presidential Palace where they will attend a private lunch hosted by The President.

Following the private lunch Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will have an Audience with His Holiness Pope Francis at the Vatican.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Do we think Her Majesty will visit The Pope is full black dress, orders, tiara etc? My understanding is the first visit to any reigning Pontiff is in full dress with the outfit standard we saw back in 2000 (ie day dress, veil etc) for subsequent visits.

Personally I'm split on what will happen this time round - while secretly hoping for the full blown outfit I really doubt whether it'll happen!

God Save The Queen!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
Do we think Her Majesty will visit The Pope is full black dress, orders, tiara etc? My understanding is the first visit to any reigning Pontiff is in full dress with the outfit standard we saw back in 2000 (ie day dress, veil etc) for subsequent visits.
If this report is correct, she won't even be wearing black.

The previous first visits were also all state visits, and this just appears to be a quick audience, so even if she does change into black I would expect day dress.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Serene Highness

I think this visit was scheduled one or two years ago but was cancelled at the last minute because HM was unwell. This time the Pope is included though.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
If this report is correct, she won't even be wearing black.

The previous first visits were also all state visits, and this just appears to be a quick audience, so even if she does change into black I would expect day dress.
Thanks, I'll be a wee bit disappointed if HM doesn't at least change into black- she usually seems such a stickler for protocol!

God Save The Queen!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Gentry

I'm absolutely over the moon about that! I really hope I'll be able to have a glimpse of them! I'll do my best!:)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Queen to meet Pope Francis in Rome

Queen to meet Pope Francis in Rome
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Today it was also announced that The Queen along with P. Philip will visit Rome April 3 where she will have lunch with President Napolitano and will meet the Pope. (She will not be wearing black or mantilla) (She was to visit Italy last March but the visit was cancelled due to her gastroenterisis ? Spelling:) I'm looking forward to having the Queen in Italy! Shame that Rome is a bit too far from where I live. :(
Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Gentry

Didn't protocol dictates that The Pope must visit The Queen first? I always thought the Head of State with less time in office visits the one with more time first.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Majesty

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 5h
Thurs, April 3rd: The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh will be in Rome. They'll meet with 2 key leaders: the Italian President & Pope Francis

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Nobility

I hope The Queen and the Duke gets a nice visit in rome today.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Live video of the arrival at the airport:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/live-video/2/
Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Live video of the arrival at the Quirinal Palace:

Watch Reuters Live Online live at Livestation.com
Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Gentry

I've Just seen her from a Very short distanze. It was my first time I'm overwhelmed with emotion! :) I think She looks younger in persona and Very elegant too! Can't believe my luck to be in Rome today!:)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Quirinale Uff Stampa ‏@QuirinaleStampa #Napolitano with #Queen #Elizabeth at #Quirinale #QueeninRome pic.twitter.com/i8FBcsaVSN

Quirinale Uff Stampa ‏@QuirinaleStampa #Napolitano con la Regina Elisabetta al #Quirinale #QueeninRome pic.twitter.com/VgGqHzX9QY

Quirinale Uff Stampa ‏@QuirinaleStampa #Napolitano greeted #Queen #Elizabeth at #Quirinale #QueeninRome pic.twitter.com/C4Yb693mdB

Getty Images: The Queen And Duke Of Edinburgh Visit Rome And The Vatican City

Hello: The Queen arrives in Rome to meet Pope Francis at the Vatican for the first time
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallettac View Post
I've Just seen her from a Very short distanze. It was my first time I'm overwhelmed with emotion! :) I think She looks younger in persona and Very elegant too! Can't believe my luck to be in Rome today!:)
That's great for you.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Majesty

I'm guessing you will be able to see Pope Francis's Audience with Her Majesty The Queen here at 3pm Rome Time-
Vatican Player

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen will meet the Pope at the Vatican.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
The Pope has given the Queen a priceless gift for Prince George: an orb of lapis lazuli with the Cross of St Edward the Confessor.

"@RobNisbetSky: The present the Pope will give to the Queen for her great grandson Prince George pic.twitter.com/y6XyaOJmSm"
This is the copy of the Edward Confessor decree that the Pope gave to the Queen. pic.twitter.com/m0L3l0LRY8
Fair swap? The Queen has given the Pope a hamper of royal estate products and framed photos of herself and Philip.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Majesty

The Queen meets Pope Francis at the Vatican MT @gerryorome: Queen & Pope spoke in private... Mtg just under 30 mins pic.twitter.com/OgWAZO44dV
A more relaxed meeting.
The Pope looks genuinely chuffed to bits with his gift from the Queen http://huff.to/1lpoa14 pic.twitter.com/KZzkw0ViKi

Dr. Maya Angelou