Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Official Visit to Rome - April 3, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
Italy-UK-Vatican_zpscb0e675f.png

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...companiedbyTheDukeofEdinburghwillvisitRo.aspx

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Rome on Thursday 3rd April. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness are visiting at the invitation of the President of Italy, President Napolitano.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit the Presidential Palace where they will attend a private lunch hosted by The President.

Following the private lunch Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will have an Audience with His Holiness Pope Francis at the Vatican.

Last edited:
Do we think Her Majesty will visit The Pope is full black dress, orders, tiara etc? My understanding is the first visit to any reigning Pontiff is in full dress with the outfit standard we saw back in 2000 (ie day dress, veil etc) for subsequent visits.

Personally I'm split on what will happen this time round - while secretly hoping for the full blown outfit I really doubt whether it'll happen!

Do we think Her Majesty will visit The Pope is full black dress, orders, tiara etc? My understanding is the first visit to any reigning Pontiff is in full dress with the outfit standard we saw back in 2000 (ie day dress, veil etc) for subsequent visits.

If this report is correct, she won't even be wearing black.

The previous first visits were also all state visits, and this just appears to be a quick audience, so even if she does change into black I would expect day dress.

Last edited:
I think this visit was scheduled one or two years ago but was cancelled at the last minute because HM was unwell. This time the Pope is included though.

If this report is correct, she won't even be wearing black.

The previous first visits were also all state visits, and this just appears to be a quick audience, so even if she does change into black I would expect day dress.

Thanks, I'll be a wee bit disappointed if HM doesn't at least change into black- she usually seems such a stickler for protocol!

I'm absolutely over the moon about that! I really hope I'll be able to have a glimpse of them! I'll do my best!:)

Today it was also announced that The Queen along with P. Philip will visit Rome April 3 where she will have lunch with President Napolitano and will meet the Pope. (She will not be wearing black or mantilla) (She was to visit Italy last March but the visit was cancelled due to her gastroenterisis ? Spelling:) I'm looking forward to having the Queen in Italy! Shame that Rome is a bit too far from where I live. :(

Didn't protocol dictates that The Pope must visit The Queen first? I always thought the Head of State with less time in office visits the one with more time first.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 5h
Thurs, April 3rd: The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh will be in Rome. They'll meet with 2 key leaders: the Italian President & Pope Francis

I hope The Queen and the Duke gets a nice visit in rome today.

I've Just seen her from a Very short distanze. It was my first time I'm overwhelmed with emotion! :) I think She looks younger in persona and Very elegant too! Can't believe my luck to be in Rome today!:)

Last edited:
I've Just seen her from a Very short distanze. It was my first time I'm overwhelmed with emotion! :) I think She looks younger in persona and Very elegant too! Can't believe my luck to be in Rome today!:)

That's great for you.

I'm guessing you will be able to see Pope Francis's Audience with Her Majesty The Queen here at 3pm Rome Time-
Vatican Player

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
The Pope has given the Queen a priceless gift for Prince George: an orb of lapis lazuli with the Cross of St Edward the Confessor.

"@RobNisbetSky: The present the Pope will give to the Queen for her great grandson Prince George pic.twitter.com/y6XyaOJmSm"
This is the copy of the Edward Confessor decree that the Pope gave to the Queen. pic.twitter.com/m0L3l0LRY8
Fair swap? The Queen has given the Pope a hamper of royal estate products and framed photos of herself and Philip.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm assuming the topic of the Falkland Islands was left off the agenda when HM met the Pope today. Might've been a bit awkward.

A lovely lavender outfit for a semi-personal visit to an unconventional Pope. I'd not be surprised at all if This Pope was not secretly pleased that she did not technically follow dress protocol for a formal audience.
And mods - my point is about protocol rather than fashion, hence, here.

According to member of british press on twitter
‏@byEmilyAndrews
pope told her not to wear black as an "informal" visit-not in Vatican palace, just a chat

I think wearing lavender/purple in Lent was a clever idea.

According to member of british press on twitter
‏@byEmilyAndrews
pope told her not to wear black as an "informal" visit-not in Vatican palace, just a chat

I think wearing lavender/purple in Lent was a clever idea.

I think his asking was brilliant and yes - the lenten link is lovely. I like this Pope Francis guy!

The Queen meets Pope Francis at the Vatican MT @gerryorome: Queen & Pope spoke in private... Mtg just under 30 mins pic.twitter.com/OgWAZO44dV
A more relaxed meeting.
The Pope looks genuinely chuffed to bits with his gift from the Queen http://huff.to/1lpoa14 pic.twitter.com/KZzkw0ViKi
The Queen looks divine in that lavender outfit. Those people behind her with the president- guards maybe?- look impressive.
Nice picture of her with the pope.

The Queen looks divine in that lavender outfit. Those people behind her with the president- guards maybe?- look impressive.
Nice picture of her with the pope.

Those rather impressive guards are the Corazzieri, a special mounted division of the Carabinieri (who are a kind of police, but... not the police), and they act as the President's guards. One of requirements to join the Corazzieri is being tall (at least 1,90 m). :)

Corazzieri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Her Majesty looks wonderful. :flowers:

Those rather impressive guards are the Corazzieri, a special mounted division of the Carabinieri (who are a kind of police, but... not the police), and they act as the President's guards. One of requirements to join the Corazzieri is being tall (at least 1,90 m). :)

Corazzieri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Her Majesty looks wonderful. :flowers:

Thanks for the information. What do you mean by police, but not police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom