Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Official Visit to Rome - April 3, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely images of the visit. Her Majesty looks stunning in that lavender outfit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using The Royals Community mobile app

Thanks for the information. What do you mean by police, but not police?

Sorry, I didn't explain well. Carabinieri (which Corazzieri are a part of) are an armed force (previously part of the Army, now independent) with police duties. But we also have the Police, as any other country.

These two corps are traditionally seen as in competition, because many of their duties overlap.

I believe that the Carabinieri are a bit like the Gendarmerie in France.

Video:
The Queen has been to Rome today, with her first engagement at the Quirinal Palace, where she had lunch with the Italian President Giorgio Napolitano. Afterwards, the Queen met with the Pope at the Vatican, where they conversed and exchanged gifts. Among the presents given by the Pope was a lapis lazuli orb, decorated with a silver cross of Edward the Confessor for Prince George.-
Home - ITNSource News

I like that Philip tried to make sure the Pope walk with The Queen and he not get ahead of the Pope.

Yes I did too,the atmosphere looked cordial & relaxed at the Vatican today!

Sorry, I didn't explain well. Carabinieri (which Corazzieri are a part of) are an armed force (previously part of the Army, now independent) with police duties. But we also have the Police, as any other country.

These two corps are traditionally seen as in competition, because many of their duties overlap.

I believe that the Carabinieri are a bit like the Gendarmerie in France.

No worries- An and Ri explained it to me, and now with your explanation, I got it!:D
By the way, just saw The Twitter pic of the pope's present for Prince George- wow!

Last edited:
Lovely Queen! I think Pope Francis doesn't mind the dress code :)

The hamper of goods from the royal estates sounds very impressive. I like that the Pope will hand it over to a poor house. I probably would've kept mine though.

By the way, just saw The Twitter pic of the pope's present for Prince George- wow!

It was a lovely gesture,really liking the silver cross of Edward the Confessor on the orb!

It was strange seeing the Queen wearing such a beautiful lilac colour to meet Pope Francis, but somehow 'funereal black' just doesn't seem to fit the occassion or is it that it doesn't fit Pope Francis. It just looked right. The whole visit seemed to be a enveloped in a wonderful lightness and instead of it just being an "informal" visit it was like the Pope welcoming friends into his home. The fact that he has kept the number of bureaucrats under foot to an absolute minimum certainly helps the illusion.

I love the way his first thought was to wave his guests ahead of him but after all these years Prince Philip neither would nor could do that. But that seemed to set the tone. I love how the Queen's eyes seemed to be twinkling as the Pope and Prince Philip shook hands and how relaxed and happy both HM the Queen and HH the Pope seemed in the obligatory 'one on one' photo.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCE2E1A00000578-338_634x458.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCE2C6500000578-470_634x418.jpg

Check out how relaxed the 'entourage' were . . . smiles, unbuttoned suits, folded arms and grins, their body language says it all:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCDB03600000578-510_634x456.jpg

The gift to Prince George showed a world thoughtfulness while the usual formal exchange of photo's, etc. was handled with lightness and the personal gift to HH was gorgeous. I hope he takes it back to his digs and shares it with his fellow guests. It is a small luxury given on a personal level and not an austentatious "symbol".

Last edited:
:previous: The introductions were really informative and not a little humorous . . . "my policeman and my husband's policeman", really made me smile. I was a little surprised her doctor travelled with them on such a short visit but thinking about it, at the age she and Philip are, it is practical. They both are precious, almost National Treasures!

I was intrigued by the staff introductions because I have never noticed them on that level and am going to take a wild punt and guess HH asked. It would seem very like him.

Last edited:
It is in fact normal to introduce the entourages - just that the press normally don't cover that aspect of these visits as they concentrate on the meetings between the leading personnel.

:previous: The introductions were really informative and not a little humerous . . . "my policeman and my husband's policeman", really made me smile. I was a little surprised her doctor travelled with them on such a short visit but thinking about it, at the age she and Philip are, it is practical. They both are precious, almost National Treasures!

I was intrigued by the staff introductions because I have never noticed them on that level and am going to take a wild punt and guess HH asked. It would seem very like him.

The "doctor" is Surgeon Captain David Hett RN (source CC) and is probably doubling up as an Aide. HMQ had Mrs. Samantha Cohen there as L-i-W

It was strange seeing the Queen wearing such a beautiful lilac colour to meet Pope Francis, but somehow 'funereal black' just doesn't seem to fit the occassion or is it that it doesn't fit Pope Francis. It just looked right. The whole visit seemed to be a enveloped in a wonderful lightness and instead of it just being an "informal" visit it was like the Pope welcoming friends into his home. The fact that he has kept the number of bureaucrats under foot to an absolute minimum certainly helps the illusion.

I love the way his first thought was to wave his guests ahead of him but after all these years Prince Philip neither would nor could do that. But that seemed to set the tone. I love how the Queen's eyes seemed to be twinkling as the Pope and Prince Philip shook hands and how relaxed and happy both HM the Queen and HH the Pope seemed in the obligatory 'one on one' photo.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCE2E1A00000578-338_634x458.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCE2C6500000578-470_634x418.jpg

Check out how relaxed the 'entourage' were . . . smiles, unbuttoned suits, folded arms and grins, their body language says it all:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-2595978-1CCDB03600000578-510_634x456.jpg

The gift to Prince George showed a world thoughtfulness while the usual formal exchange of photo's, etc. was handled with lightness and the personal gift to HH was gorgeous. I hope he takes it back to his digs and shares it with his fellow guests. It is a small luxury given on a personal level and not an austentatious "symbol".
Love the second and third photos. I agree with all the above- I am not Catholic, so not familiar with papal protocol, but to me, this pope seems way more relaxed, and it was he that set the tone. Formal black just doesn't seem right in this case. I agree-lovely for the pope to wave his guests ahead, but it is so ingrained in Philip to stay behind his wife, he never would/could do that.
I saw surprise that her Majesty takes a doctor with her. To me, not surprising.
Didn't watch the YouTube video, but got a big kick out of the Queen introducing policemen.

Last edited:
The hamper of goods from the royal estates sounds very impressive. I like that the Pope will hand it over to a poor house. I probably would've kept mine though.

If it had been given to me my dad certainly would not have let anyone else near the cider (which is almost always an alcoholic drink here in the UK), including me! :flowers:

The Queen just seems to sprinkle a little happiness everywhere she goes these days!

The last trip?

I was touched by the pictures of HM staring rather wistfully out the airplane window. I wonder if she was thinking that this might be her final trip to Italy?

And then it occurred to me that she has probably seen very little of Italy on her visits there. No freedom to stroll unaccompanied down the streets of Florence, eating gelato. No sitting in St. Mark's Square, sipping an aperitif, chatting with her husband about the gondolas and the pastel palaces in the background. She is a person who has had so little freedom in her life- it saddens me.

Love the pictures in the daily Mail, especially the ones with Prince Philip, and the ones of her Majesty meeting previous popes. Question- it said there was an interpreter present- does the Pope not speak English?

I have read elsewhere that English is not one of the languages that the Pope speaks - which is strange considering how many of the Roman Catholics he leads have English as their only language.

Lovely to see photos of such a historic and significant occasion; that lapis lazuli orb is marvellous indeed. And as has been observed by others, such a happy, while still decorous, atmosphere.

If it had been given to me my dad certainly would not have let anyone else near the cider (which is almost always an alcoholic drink here in the UK), including me! :flowers:

The Queen just seems to sprinkle a little happiness everywhere she goes these days!

My grandfather is like that too. Whenever he receives a fancy bottle of wine, or a nice box of chocolates, he wants to consume them, while my grandmother wants to save the items, so that she could share them with their future guests. In regards to the last part of your post, I'm in complete agreement. The woman certainly brings joy to those that she meets, along with memories to last a lifetime.

I was touched by the pictures of HM staring rather wistfully out the airplane window. I wonder if she was thinking that this might be her final trip to Italy?

And then it occurred to me that she has probably seen very little of Italy on her visits there. No freedom to stroll unaccompanied down the streets of Florence, eating gelato. No sitting in St. Mark's Square, sipping an aperitif, chatting with her husband about the gondolas and the pastel palaces in the background. She is a person who has had so little freedom in her life- it saddens me.

That is indeed very sad, but, at the same time, this woman has traveled more than a lot of people, and met some very interesting personalities. She had opportunities that I would personally die to have, so in my eyes, not having some experiences in order to have a life of luxury is a decent trade-off. However, I'm sure that if I were living a lifestyle similar to Her Majesty, I may feel differently.

That picture of HM & HH...I can't remember the last time I saw The Queen looking so genuinely happy & delighted in an Official type portrait such as this. It truly is the best picture I have seen of The Queen on duty in a very long time & beyond lovely to see too. Also lovely to see Prince Phillip looking fit & ready for anything. After the scare & worries of last year, it is wonderful to see the DoE looking so very good.

That gift for George is stunning!! Can't begin to imagine how much more blue the stone of the orb is seeing it up close & in front of you. Really is a stunning gift.

It looks like this visit was enjoyed by one and all. Bittersweet thinking it very well maybe one of HM's last overseas visits though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom