General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, NGalizine, that is true for official visits. But she has also visited some contries (like the US) privatly, but even travelling 'private' would include a certain amount of prearrangements for securityresaons and so on...

True she has made a few private visits, but even then her visits are never spontaneous. Security in both countires are well aware and prepared for her visits, and of course the British government is aware that she has left the country.

Regarding the passport question, I understand HM has no passport but what surname are on the rest of the RF's passports? Do they use Mountbatten-Windsor or is there no surname on them? Also, is their title "HRH" on their passport anywhere?

It's amazing to think that the Queen is probably the most well-travelled person in history and yet has never owned a passport.

Since the Queen probably doesn't have to even enter the terminal buildings of the airports she lands in, I'd doubt that passport control is necessary. I think the Queen gets driven straight to her the door of her areoplane and picked up by official car when she lands without going anywhere the airport terminals.

Imagine all the stamps she could have got!

True she has made a few private visits, but even then her visits are never spontaneous. Security in both countires are well aware and prepared for her visits, and of course the British government is aware that she has left the country.

Well this is why I said "impersonators who arrive a little before HM is expected".
I suppose that to effect such a subterfuge would require such a sophisticated conspiracy that it's not worth worrying about, but still ... I figured there would be some formal presentation of a seal or something.

Thanks, all.

Wow. That was beautiful. Nicely done. It was really interesting to watch her age and see the changes in her face.

That was fun. Watching that you can really see glimpses of all her children and grandchildren (and her ancesters) in her face. Lovely, thanks.

Does anyone have any idea if the Queen's personal reflections on having two more children with such a big gap (Charles was 12 and Anne was 10 when Andrew was born) being an older mother too (being 38 when Edward was born) and practically starting all over again (Charles being 16 when new baby, Edward was born)...

Watched the doco about Prince Charles reflections about his mother on her Jubilee and it showed footage of Charles getting some kind of honour (liege lord thing with crown and cloak?) at the age of 21, which made me think that the Queen had two young adult children (Charles, 21 and Anne, 19) and two little kids *still* (Andrew, 9 and Edward, 5)...WOW!

Does anyone have any idea if the Queen's personal reflections on having two more children with such a big gap (Charles was 12 and Anne was 10 when Andrew was born) being an older mother too (being 38 when Edward was born) and practically starting all over again (Charles being 16 when new baby, Edward was born)...

Watched the doco about Prince Charles reflections about his mother on her Jubilee and it showed footage of Charles getting some kind of honour (liege lord thing with crown and cloak?) at the age of 21, which made me think that the Queen had two young adult children (Charles, 21 and Anne, 19) and two little kids *still* (Andrew, 9 and Edward, 5)...WOW!

I doubt the Queen herself has ever commented on this, but I did see an interview with Andrew in which he was asked about it. The interviewer asked if it was like having two separate families and he said absolutely not. He told a story about how they would have pillow fights and somehow it always ended up being Charles and Anne vs Andrew and Edward, haha.

I doubt the Queen herself has ever commented on this, but I did see an interview with Andrew in which he was asked about it. The interviewer asked if it was like having two separate families and he said absolutely not. He told a story about how they would have pillow fights and somehow it always ended up being Charles and Anne vs Andrew and Edward, haha.

Now that's not really fair, is it! It would have been better if it was Charles and Andrew against Anne and Edward, or Charles and Edward against Anne and Andrew! Or, Anne against all three of the boys! That would have shown how tough she is!

I think the ceremony that you are talking about is when Charles was invested as the Prince of Wales on 1st July 1969, at Caernarfon Castle in Wales. He was 20 at the time. :D

Anne said in an interview that, as the only girl in a family of boys, there were certain assumptions as to what girls did in the royal family, and she doesn't think she fit it very conveniently. She would have probably been regarded as a tomboy, and she wasn't terribly interested in the rather more girly aspects of life. :)

Last edited:
:previous:

Maybe it was Anne's chance that Charles was more introvert than herself. So it wasn't such a clear cut gender education but something more equal in terms to both tough- and softness. Charles did not let himself be pressured into a pure male image, so Anne didn't have to accept her lot in life as a woman. I once read about Royal princesses who grew up mostly with brothers and how these became strong consorts - often leaving a weaker brother behind to inherit her home country while she was married into a foreign realm.
In a way Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip raised four sons, but allowing each of them their individuality.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but I would like to send a 'Happy Anniversary' wish to Her Majesty and His Royal Highness on the occassion of their 65th wedding anniversary. Hope it's a good one with your family and friends!

I don't know if this is the right thread, but didn't know where else to post this:
Back in November 1997, at the Golden Anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding, there was a formal Banquet where both Herself and then-PM Tony Blair gave speeches. Hers has been probably one of the deepest and most sincere ones she has ever made when it comes to confession and her overview about the institution she presides. As for Blair's, it was the one occasion he best revealed his supportive emotions for the monarchy (I can't see how and why this relationship is considered as tensious by some) -the link for his speech I found here: ??97???HM the Queen and Prince Philip's Golden Wedding Anniversary - 20 November

My question is, does anyone knows if this banquet was televised and if there are videos of these speeches?

thanks in advance

Queen Elizabeth Height

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how tall was Queen Elizabeth in 1952 when she came to the throne? I ask because in picture of Elizabeth from the Early Years of her Reign she look taller then she does now. I know there is a loss of high in people's in the later years of their life. I read once that she is now 5'3"

That is a good question. I would venture to say she was maybe 5'6 maybe? She is smaller now because of her age, obviously, which of course is normal for aging. I bet there is someone here who could probably answer the question.

The long and the short answer......there seem to be so many different heights quoted on the internet that we might never know unless we measure her!
I believe that Princess Margaret was slightly shorter that the Queen at 5'2'' (or was it 5'1''?). I think the 5'4'' figure is correct when the Queen was younger and I think it was Princess Anne who was/is 5'6''.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how tall was Queen Elizabeth in 1952 when she came to the throne? I ask because in picture of Elizabeth from the Early Years of her Reign she look taller then she does now. I know there is a loss of high in people's in the later years of their life. I read once that she is now 5'3"

I'm the shortest in my family at 5 foot 2. My mom's 5 foot 6, my dad used to be 5 foot 9 but is now just over 5 foot 7, my brothers are 5 foot 9 and 6 foot 1. (The one who's 6 foot 1 is only 17! He also wears a size 13 shoe.) My maternal grandmother was 5 foot 4 at her tallest but shrank a little due to aging and osteoporosis. My maternal grandfather was the same as my youngest brother, 6 foot 1. I have a cousin on my dad's side of the family who's 6 foot 4, and I have a strong suspicion my brother could end up like that as well, due to his age.

I've stood beside the Queen and she is currently c. 5'3" = and I think she was officially 5'4" in her younger days. Princess Margaret was only 5'1'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom