The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Queen Elizabeth's hairdressers

Does anyone out there know the names of any of the queens hairdressers over the years.I'm particularly interested in the 1950's but any leads from any era would be great!?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Has anyone seen this? It's actually pretty cute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I love this article, it tells us a lot about the family.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Courtier

QE and the Prince's Marriage

I am new to this forum, so I apologize for any mistakes of protocol or anything.

I was wondering as to how the Queen and her husband have gotten along in their marriage. Unfortunately, we know that too many of these unions include adultery. Has this ever been suspected in the Queen's marriage?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

I Think they have done well
Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

His Royal Grumpiness: But 60 years on, the Queen still adores her rude, yet uttlerly devoted husband - Full article
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Commoner

Bow/curtsy

I know officially etiquette prescribes that subjects of Her Majesty are to bow/curtsy bowing from the neck. But it says for one not to bow as if you are Japanese from the waist.

What happened to the kiss of the Sovereign's hand or ring?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

Do either the Queen or the DoE ever cook?

Do they ever go out to houses small enough to be without a cook or servants to prepare meals? Do they ever prepare meals? Does anyone know? Surely they can get themselves a snack (or can they? I really would like to know!)

If there's no information on their cooking skills (and if people here don't know, no one knows), then what do they like to eat?

Prince Harry and Chelsy just dined on rabbit legs and duck (one would have to look far and wide for those things where I live, although duck is still on the menu in Chinese restaurants).

But I'm particularly interested in whether the Queen has ever prepared a romantic dinner for her prince, ever, or whether he can rustle up a nice meal when they're out on at one of their country houses. Is either of them talented at all in this direction?

Where else would they eat besides restaurants and palaces? Do they have friends of the sort that they'd dine with privately?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Edinburgh was known to be a hit with the BBQ, especially up on the Balmoral estate at Queen Victoria's woodland cottage. There close family and friends would enjoy lunch or dinner at the hands of the Duke and the Queen, her cousins or close friends would busy themselves in he kitchen preparing table placings, cutlery, cleaning dishes etc.

I believe the Queen also prepared a meal or two for her husband when they lived for around 6 or so months in Malta, not long after their marriage. It's said to be the only time the pair have been able to function as well, a relatively "normal" couple, doing "normal" things.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I doubt they cook much any more, but i am sure they can get themselves a snack when they wished.
The information you asked for is personal to them, I don't see why we'd ever know. Especially about romantic meals.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

My impression is that a variety of biographers of various sorts (and palace staff) have occasionally revealed more information than what I asked about. Indeed, the DoE has been rather forthcoming (and answered part of my question) in one of his interviews (he gives more interviews than I would have thought).

But I suppose it is best if we research these things for ourselves. I do appreciate the information about the Duke and his BBQ's. My interest came up because of his remark about British women and their cooking (I was wondering what his reference point might be).
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One story I remember reading about the Queen and the DoE was pretty amusing to me and kind of showed how like "ordinary folks" they can be.
I don't remember the exact wording of the story nor where I read it at.

The Queen and the Duke decided to have a easy day and relax at the beach one day. It didn't take long before the word was out that they were to be there. While sitting on the beach, the Queen was approached by a couple of women who remarked to her "Oh did you hear! The Queen is to be here today. I sure hope we get to see her". I don't remember what HM replied but it must have tickled her that she wasn't recognized.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you for that story! It seems that such stories get compiled more readily once the person in question is part of history, but since we have the internet, we might as well share them now.

I'm glad to hear that they do go out and about rather more like regular people, once in awhile anyway. The pictures we see of them here in the U.S. always have them looking like they are at state occasions every minute.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

The Duke of Ed

Cant help thinking that the Duke could write one hell of an autobiog...... it would be fascinating...
His career in the Royal Navy ... his marriage to the future Queen of England... his membership of the Thursday Club
go here
All of the heroes and villains he's met up with on his Royal travels...
The Duke has seen the world from the inside with privileged access to all levels of society .
If he ever wrote an autobiog.... it would be one fascinating read !
Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

That would be an absolute page turner!!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...b-1324245.html

The gang of cronies that the Duke of Edinburgh used to gather round him in the 1950s to have a bit of fun away from his serious life at Buckingham Palace. The club was strictly all-male, but that does not mean there were not women at these gatherings. After all, as Arthur Koestler once said to me,

"The extraordinary thing about men at all-male gatherings is that they talk about women non-stop, whereas at mixed functions the men talk only about male hobbies such as sport, politics and cars - never about women, even though there are many women present."
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Royal Highness

Love at first sight for Queen Elizabeth - Female First
Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Heir Apparent

kinda dumb but is there a list of Queen Elizabeth's cousins? I only know of one Lady Elizabeth Anson
Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Heir Apparent

George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood, is Queen Elizabeth II first cousin. His mother, Princess Mary the Princess Royal was King Goerge VI's sister.

The Hon. Mrs. Margaret Rhodes is Queen Elizabeth II first cousin. Margaret's mother was Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's sister.

James Carnegie, 3rd Duke of Fife is a great grandson of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, thus he is Queen Elizabeth II and King Harald V's second cousin.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Majesty

The obvious first cousins are the dukes of Gloucester and Kent, along with Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra. Their respective fathers were the younger brothers of George VI. The Harewoods are the descendents of her father's sister.

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, talents