Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had both my knees replaced six years ago. It is a very painful procedure, but worth it. I no longer take any pain medicine. I was back square dancing 2 months after surgery. I hope HM has good luck with the surgery.

The enigma comment is funny, thanks for that it gave me a laugh. If she is having knee surgery hopefully it will be soon if she is coming to Oz in October. She would have time to relax at Balmoral but I don't think she will do much rambling for awhile! It is very painful afterwards and even with the best pain killers there are times of great discomfort. Hopefully it will go well for her! I actually think she looks wonderful her clothes are looking really good on her. She loves yellow and she wears bright colours so the crowd can see her, same with her lipstick.

Knowing what kind of physical therapy takes place after knee replacement surgery, I sure wouldn't want to be the physical therapist causing HM so much pain.

Knowing what kind of physical therapy takes place after knee replacement surgery, I sure wouldn't want to be the physical therapist causing HM so much pain.

Well at least it is no longer customary to throw one in the tower and subsequently lop off their head. :lol:

Has there been any recent information about HM's need for knee replacement surgery? The original stories in the spring indicated that she would have the surgery in the summer (summer 2011?), and that four months would be needed for her recuperation. Since she would need to be ready for action in October (Australia trip), it would seem she would have the surgery very soon, likely after Zara's wedding.

I, too, think that the Queen will have surgery quite shortly - IMHO there was no chance of HM undergoing surgery until the end of the 'London Season' and so I think that Zara's wedding will pretty well mark the last of pre-surgery appearances. [Traditionally, members of the Royal Family used to appear at Cowes Week for the sailing [start of August - The Royal Yacht Britannia used to anchor just off Cowes and traditionally Prince Phillip and Anne used to compete and various other members of the RF aboard Britannia used to spectate and party and then, at the conclusion of the week, Britannia began the cruise up to Scotland [the Queen's favourite time apparently]. Since Britannia was decommissioned, the BRF no longer partcipate in Cowes Week. Sad.

Incidentally, I remember that after the initial announcement of the need for surgery, it was stated that the Queen could no longer go riding and yet we then all saw a rather charming picture of HM with [from memory] Sophie's children taken just before the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
I, too, think that the Queen will have surgery quite shortly - IMHO there was no chance of HM undergoing surgery until the end of the 'London Season' and so I think that Zara's wedding will pretty well mark the last of pre-surgery appearances. [Traditionally, members of the Royal Family used to appear at Cowes Week for the sailing [start of August - The Royal Yacht Britannia used to anchor just off Cowes and traditionally Prince Phillip and Anne used to compete and various other members of the RF aboard Britannia used to spectate and party and then, at the conclusion of the week, Britannia began the cruise up to Scotland [the Queen's favourite time apparently]. Since Britannia was decommissioned, the BRF no longer partcipate in Cowes Week. Sad.

Incidentally, I remember that after the initial announcement of the need for surgery, it was stated that the Queen could no longer go riding and yet we then all saw a rather charming picture of HM with [from memory] Sophie's children taken just before the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

Hope this helps

Alex

I agree that now is probably the best time for HM to have the operation, she'd have several weeks to recuperate & rehab the knee.

If I was a medical person I'd be shaking in my shoes to have her as a patient- difficult enough to deal with ordinary people but the Queen??? I wonder what kind of patient she would be- she hasn't had many health problems [thankfully] so I wonder what her reactions are when she is ill or injured.

...(snip)
If I was a medical person I'd be shaking in my shoes to have her as a patient- difficult enough to deal with ordinary people but the Queen??? I wonder what kind of patient she would be- she hasn't had many health problems [thankfully] so I wonder what her reactions are when she is ill or injured.

Perhaps, like Queen Victoria, she lies back and thinks of England.;)
I'm reasonably sure she's an excellent patient- strong women usually are.

ladongas said:
Perhaps, like Queen Victoria, she lies back and thinks of England.;)
I'm reasonably sure she's an excellent patient- strong women usually are.

...as a nurse, I can tell you from my experience strong women are not usually excellent patients!!! LOL. The ones I've encountered are typically quite demanding, some don't get they're not the only patient on the ward!.

Anyway, I wish HM a speedy recovery!! :)

Queen Elizabeth received the Ambassador of Togo Calixte Batossie Madjoulba (1) and
Jordan's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Mazen Homoud (2) at an audience at
Buckingham Palace on July 19, 2011 in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I agree that now is probably the best time for HM to have the operation, she'd have several weeks to recuperate & rehab the knee.

Don't foget that the hospital generally used by the Royals [Edward VII] is actually quite used to treating heads of state [i.e. from abroad] and VIPs. Apparently it is much more nerve-wracking being the Royal Dentist.

Queen Elizabeth attended a homecoming service at Lichfield Cathedral, held for the Royal Mercian and
Lancastrian Yeomanry following their return from operations in Afghanistan in Lichfield, July 20 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** daylife/reuters gallery ** gallery **

** BBC: Queen at Lichfield Cathedral and Alrewas arboretum **
Love the new outfit- the color really suits HM, and the hat rocks!:cool:
Interesting look on HM's face in pic 1!
Someone is getting the icy Royal glare!

Last edited:
In terms of the best surgeons I've seen- quite a few of them have an arrogance that would match the most arrogant of royalty. LOL. Just saying- especially since I have met quite a few doctors and surgeons!

Hopefully HM only needs one knee done- most people I've run into wind up having both done. Or has she had surgery in the past? Do we know what is causing the need for surgery- is it arthritis?

The End of the Queen's London Season for 2011

Just a piece of background information about the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in case anyone is interested:
We have now reached the point in July where the Queen's 'Court' [as it would have been known in days gone by] is moving from London. Traditionally, the Court used to move from place to place; historically of course this was to allow the primitive drains to be cleaned out; now of course it is to allow the Queen to begin the run-up her holiday period.

The last large formal BP formal event of this season for the Queen was the Garden Party held on Tuesday 19 July. Preparations at the Palace are now moving into overdrive in order to be ready for the period of opening to the Public, which commences this Saturday 23 July. The final day of opening is 3 October 2011 in case anyone from TRF is in London this summer].

Although the Queen moves out of BP this week, the English London Social Season still has a few events to run:

The Queen is usually in Windsor at this point in July, which is convenient because on Saturday 23 July (whilst the first visitors stream through the doors of BP] the focus switches to Ascot Racecourse again where one of the most important races of the seaon is run: the very important King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes. This Race is named after the Queen's parents. Although the meeting is not as formal as Royal Ascot [no carriage processions, no top hat and morning dress for the menfolk] the race day is still an important social occasion as well as an important racing day and the late queen mother used to attend in days gone by, as did the Queen. The Queen and Prince Philip sometimes do manage to find time to attend this race [although Prince Philip there under duress as he finds racing boring and prefers cricket]. You sometimes here the day referred to as 'Diamond Day' because of a previous sponsor...

On Sunday, whilst Racing still continues at Ascot, a very important Polo Match takes place just down the road at Smiths Lawn, Guards Polo Club. This is the 'International' Polo Tournament where the England Polo Team challenges a foreign Polo Team from abroad. This time, the foreign team is the Brazilian team. They are a good team, but not as good as the Argentine team, and England could possibly............ it's no good, your humble Diarist dare not finish the sentence. The event is sponsored by Cartier the Jewellers and historically, the Queen always used to be present to present the Trophy to the winning team. Over the years however, the event has become slightly down-market, as rent-a-crowd celebrities turn up and Chinawhite the nightclub set up a tent for rather downmarket evening revels. For this reason, the Queen, who almost always without fail used to turn up to the day, has been absent for the last few years.... International Day also used to feature another important match: the England 'B' team used to play in a match against various opponents after the Coronation Cup and this match used to be very important because Prince Charles always used to be a member of the England 'B' Team; once he gave up competitive team polo, the 'second match' no longer featured the England 'B' Team, which was another reason why International Day began to lose its cachet. Because of the 'loss of status', Cartier have now decided to withdraw from its sponsorship of the International and transfer their funding to the theoretically less-important but more highly rated Queen's Cup held earlier in the season, as this Cup is always presented by the Queen. As this is the last time therefore that Cartier is sponsoring Sunday's International Match, people believe that the Queen may well be present. Your humble Diarist will be there, with her trusty camera....

Tuesday 26 July sees the opening day of 'Glorious Goodwood', a very important social horse race meeting at Goodwood in Sussex. Although the racing is not quite as good as the racing at Royal Ascot, where EVERY race features the best type of horses in each event, Goodwood is still pretty important as a race meeting because the best horses of the season are still competiting against each other.... Goodwood is just under two hours from London and so counts as part of the London Social Season. The racecourse is in a lovely country setting and the landscaping is so wonderful up in the South Downs that you cannot see another house for miles, even though the City of Chichester is less than 10 minutes' drive away. Glorious Goodwood was hugely popular with the Royals in times gone by - Edward VII loved it so much that he declared that the meeting was ' A Garden Party with Racing Tacked On' and therefore - to everyone's astonishment, abandoned his formal English racing attire [Top Hat, Dark Suit etc] and instead, to the AMAZEMENT of all and sundry, turned up in a LIGHT COLOURED SUIT AND A STRAW PANAMA HAT!! [It is part of Diarist's family folklore that my ancient forebears were truly SHOCKED at such a diversion from normal attire...] Alas, the Queen no longer attends: the reason why is cloaked in mystery - canny members of Society in the know talk about a row between the BRF and the course's owner, the Duke of Richmond and Gordon. Who knows whether the gossip is true? The Queen did attend Goodwood some years ago to open a new grandstand and Princess Margaret [in a vile mood and seething with discontent, as personally witnessed by your humble Diarist] did reluctantly attend a race meeting at the course, even though it was just an 'Ordinary' meeting, not Glorious Goodwood. I am due to attend all 5 days of the meeting - Ladies still need pretty hats and I am hoping to be able to 'recycle' [by canning mixing and matching] some of my Royal Ascot outfits and those from other events. Alas, many of the same people will be present again............Incidentally, the family history of the Duke of Richmond and Gordon is interesting - the first Duke was a Royal Bastard....[from some centuries ago.........so do not worry]

The Final Event of the London Social Season follows at the end of the week, and this is an event that has recently caused the Queen MUCH anguish: Cowes Week. This is a HUGE week of sailing races held at Cowes, Isle of Wight, about two-and-a-half hours from London. Many of the Royal Family used to roll up in the Royal Yacht Britannia, which used to anchor off Cowes for the week, acting as a floating palace for the likes of the Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Anne [who used to join in the racing - both rather good at it] and in later years for the younger members of the family such as Edward and Sophie, who used to be quite good at watersports. Every Night parties used to take place at the various pukka yacht clubs in Cowes - the best of these being the super-important Royal Yacht Squadron. Alas, there is no more Britannia and therefore not usually much of a Royal Prescence. [Side note: Prince Philip as a naval man used to adore the week; he used to race with his old friend Uffa Fox, a wonderful sailor and (Diarist blushes.....] a huge practical joker famous for being the only person who has ever, ever, ever placed a Whoopee Cushion on the Queen's chair as she sat down. Philip was amused. HM was not!

At the end of Cowes Week, Britannia used to weigh Anchor and start its cruise - the Queen's favourite event - up to Scotland, where she then disembarked and made her way to Balmoral with the rest of the family...

Barring any National or Royal Emergencies, the Queen and her Family remain in Scotland until the beginning of October..

I hope some of this is of interest

Alex

Last edited:
:previous: I remember the first time Sophie showed up for a formal evening at Cowes. I think that she wore a pink and black strapless dress with a big skirt, and a writer made mention of her wearing day shoes: a shiny black pump with a block heel. ;)

Both the Royal Yacht Britannia and Philip's (ex) own yacht are safely - and permanently - berthed in Leith Harbour, up here in Edinburgh.

They are a huge and profitable tourist attraction, and even more so since Philip's Yacht was added to it last year.

Thank you so much for that Diarist. I never knew any of that and I am glad you have taken the time to tell us. Hope you enjoy the races and back a couple of winners. Maybe next year the Queen will show up to some of these events? Good luck I hope some Royals do show up although with Zara's wedding next weekend they may be in Scotland a little earlier.

The Duke of Edinburgh attended the Cartier International Polo Day at Guards
Polo Club on July 24, 2011 in Egham.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

Alex, you have been invaluable during this London Season. Thanks so much for taking the time to fill in inevitable blanks about what goes on, where and why. Thx again!!!

A wonderful account Diarist. I am sure we all appreciate the time you have taken to inform us about HM and the Duke of Winsor's movements.

Polo, The Queen and Prince Philip and The Coronation Cup

Thank you to Iceflower for adding this - I was lucky enough to be at Guards Polo Club for the match yesterday, but too tired to post this when I came home last night.

By way of background information, the match was for The Coronation Cup and takes place each year at Guards Polo Club, Smith's Lawn, in Windsor Great Park. [as mentioned on my thread about the Queen’s London Season].

The history of British Polo really dates from the British Army Officiers, who in Victorian times brought the game back to the UK from India, when that country was under Crown rule. It was a game that was popular with the Navy as well. Important British Clubs grew up at Hurlingham in South West London, at Tidworth in Wiltshire, at Cirencester Park in Gloucestshire and Cowdray Park in West Sussex. After the war, the Polo Grounds at Hulingham were sold for Public Housing, although the governing body of British Polo is called The Hurlingham Association [HPA] to perpetuate the name.

For a long time there has been a very strong connection between British Polo and the Royal Family: Important exponents of the game in the past included Lord Mountbatten of Burma, who wrote the definitive book on the subject: 'Polo by Marco', (Marco being LM's pseudonym). Prince Philip himself was an excellent player, and often turned up at Cowdray Park to play. The Prince of Wales [who was a moderate to good player in his youth] and more recently Prince William and Harry have all played the game. Harry is probably the better player of the two - polo MUST always be played with the stick [only the uninitiated call it a 'mallet'!!] and William, as a left-hander, has an obvious disadvantage.

In 1955, the polo club we now know as Guards Polo Club was founded at the suggestion of Prince Philip, at Smiths Lawn in Windsor Great Park [obviously handy for Windsor Castle!] Originally, its core members were officers from the Household Division of the British Army - i.e. Guards Officers, although its membership became much more varied over the years -basically anyone who could afford to play the game (polo is very expensive at the top level, which is the one to be aspired to!

By the start of the 1980's The 'Top 3' Clubs were regarded as Guards', Cowdray Park and Cirencester. They were then joined in the mid 1980's by the 'Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club'. This latter club is less royal than it sounds - 'Royal' is part of the appellation of the county of Berkshire, not an accolade awarded to the club itself by the Queen.

The kindest way to put it is that the new Club was aimed at the 'flash wealthy and celebrity crowd’, and it has to be said that its 'brash moneyed image' was somewhat looked down upon by the other clubs - whose own polo grounds were very good but not in the least bit ‘flashy’ and whose membership included 'old-money' aristocrats and Officers etc. The ‘old guard’ began to refer to the new venture as ‘the New Club’. The confirmation that the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club was a little, er, vulgar, was provided when the ‘old guard’ gleefully reported that the owner had met the Queen whilst ‘chomping on the largest cigar you ever saw’ and that he had also failed to remove his hat on this royal occasion! Final confirmation that the new club was ‘vulgar beyond belief’ occurred The Major Ronald Ferguson was lured away [presumably for money] from The Guards' Polo Club, and ended up holding forth from a Director's chair on which was emblazoned the legend 'Fergie's Dad', which was felt to be somewhat beyond the pale. This view was firmly sealed when an increasingly unpopular Duchess of York began spending time there with the flash moneyed celebrity set!

The Duke of Edinburgh is President of Guards Polo Club. Over the years, the royal connection with the game has proved attractive to Sponsors: Polo is an expensive game, and the HPA, its governing body, needs to raise funds to try to put together scholarships so that promising young players [who will not always be from wealthy backgrounds – interestingly, a good player must primarily be a good athlete with good ball sense rather than a good horseman] can have the opportunity to play the game. Each year, therefore HPA holds ‘The International’ for ‘The Coronation Cup’ at Guards Polo Club, when England takes on a National Polo Team from abroad. Some years ago, Cartier began to sponsor the International, and, somewhat regrettably in my very humble opinion, the emphasis began to turn from Polo to the Celebrity crowd that Cartier used to invite to the match and entertain to lunch. The Queen almost always used to watch the International and then present the Coronation Cup, and further royal interest used to be provided by the second match of the day, when the England ‘B’ team used to play – the Prince of Wales, whilst never sufficiently good to make the main England team used to play for this second team.

Several years ago, the increasing Celebrity culture started to pervade to such an extent that the day, previously a day of the best polo in Britain, began to change tone. The Queen, previously present each year to present the Coronation Cup, began to attend less frequently. The London Nightclub China White even began to set up a tent at Smiths Lawn. Eventually, even Cartier began to worry about the monster it had created, and announced that this year 2011, was to be the last year that they would sponsor the match, as they now wished to be associated with the Guards’ Polo Club’s own tournament, The Queen’s Cup, which is almost always presented by the Queen.

It was therefore felt that the Queen would turn up at Guards Polo Club for this final time that Cartier would sponsor the match, and more particularly because it was the 100th Coronation Cup, but when I turned up yesterday, I discovered that the Duke of Edinburgh was on duty to do the honours. HRH watched the game from the Royal Box accompanied by the managing director of Cartier in the UK and Cartier's celebrity guests. At treading-in time [half time, when spectators take to the polo ground to flatten the divots kicked up by the ponies] a large crowd of people walked over to look up at the Royal box! I am pleased to report that England, captained by Luke Tomlinson, a close friend (and wedding guest) of Prince William, and also Prince Harry, defeated the Brazilian team by 8 goals to 6. I have to say, though, that Brazil were unlucky, as their captain had to retire injured from the game, which surely helped England’s chances! Prince Philip then left the royal box and came down onto the field to present the Coronation Cup to Luke Tomlinson. Before the International, The Prince of Wales’ Team played The Hurlingham Team in the morning for the Golden Jubilee Trophy; this match was less interesting to members of TRF, though, since despite the name of the match, there was no ‘royal’ playing in either team.

All-in-all, a good day, but I am afraid that I look back with greater pleasure to previous International Days, when the Queen used to turn up each year, and Prince Charles then used to take to the field immediately after the Coronation Cup had been presented, and play in the England ‘B’ team.

Alex

Last edited:
Take care

Don't foget that the hospital generally used by the Royals [Edward VII] is actually quite used to treating heads of state [i.e. from abroad] and VIPs. Apparently it is much more nerve-wracking being the Royal Dentist.
I do hope she is getting her theropy. It is so easy for a knee to freeze when it has been ill.

This is the text of the Message of Condolence issued by the Queen on 23 July to His Majesty King Harald of Norway

I am deeply saddened and shocked by the tragic loss of life of so many people on the Island of Utøya and in Oslo. Prince Philip joins me in extending our heartfelt sympathy to Your Majesty and the people of Norway. Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the dreadful atrocity.

Elizabeth R

I would add that the Queen is no doubt deeply saddened on a very personal level as well; she has always been fond of Norway because of the very close ties between the two Royal Families; indeed King Olav V was a very frequent guest of the Queen at BP and regularly appeared on the balcony alongside the BRF at royal balcony appearances.

Alex

Last edited:
I am very grateful to everyone who stopped by to leave kind comments on what I wrote.

I should add that I have had the opportunity of going to many of the events that make up the London Season, and for this I feel very blessed. My 'calendar' of events started this year before I joined the TRF and so there is quite a lot that I never posted.

It is Glorious Goodwood tomorrow for 5 days; a lot of driving for us! I continually recycle my wardrobe throughout the season, so elements of my Royal Ascot/ Derby/ Trooping the Colour/ Chelsea Flower show outfits will all be 'recycled' throughout the week and although I buy some new outfits each season, most of the clothes I wear are 'classic wardrobe staples' - indeed several of my pieces are more than 20 years old!! In this I take comfort from Jane Stevens, one of Princess Margaret's ladies-in-waiting, who was canny enough to 'retire and retrieve' clothes from as far back as the 1960's, and she always looked perfectly dressed every time I saw her.

Thanks again to everyone

Alex

PS August is traditionally a time for holidays etc and so after Cowes week, all goes quiet for a little while. And then the Scottish Season starts......so I had better find some time to practise my reeling!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom