The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
... Even if she never became queen, she would have never had to worry about where her children would go to school, have jobs, how she could afford to pay her mortgage. She has done her job well and many people would have loved to do a job that had all the perquisites. She doesn't make any arrangement for trips, how she would get there, pack her own clothes. Her children, have inherited great wealth and power and live lives that suit them. No one is scrubbing floors. Her husband, possibly would not have married her, if she was not the heir. But she would have found someone. She seems to be a kind, decent woman and that is her inherent personality. I don't, beleive she has change life in this world for the better or the worse.
EII would have prefered to live the life of a lady in the country - all horses and such.
I doubt very much, that there are a lot of people in this world who would like to do such a highly-public representation-Job; allways open to critics from everybody.
I believe there are people out there who prefer srubbing floors to public speaking
DoE would have prefered her to be a lady in the country too - so he could have continued his career in the navy be the 'breadwinner' instead of beeing the sidekick.

And I'm very sure she changed the world a great deal with her work and tact and wisdome.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Nobility

[re post #120] It is indeed a delightful photo! Thanks, AdmirerUS.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
My favorite all time three generations photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...27_634x555.jpg

The ladies, out for a ride together. Thanks to the DM for running this again today. You can count on them for photos.
Wonderful picture.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Was having a look around the Royal website and came across the page which explains her role. And on the same page was a 10 minute video (aimed at children) about what the Queen does. Very interesting as they used a child to act as "journalist".

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Ho...rchyworks.aspx

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
She's made sacrifices in her life but she's also been privileged in a way that the majority of us can only dream of, both in terms of wealth and status but also in terms of the people she's met, the places she's been and the role she's played as a world figure. I think Elizabeth, the person, has been fortunate enough to be inherently well suited to her role, in that she seems to be quite content to play the hand she's dealt and do what's expected of her, without over thinking things.

I don't believe she and Prince Philip would have had a drastically different family life if she hadn't been Queen. My impression is that their children's upbringing wasn't atypical when compared to that of their peers in the British upper class.
If you read Dimbleby's authorised biography of Prince Charles, Charles discribes his parents as being very cold and uninvolved when he was young (not sure how he would discribe it now as I think he was in a different 'place' in some ways when the book was written). I think at least some of that was due to the time constraints the role of Queen imposed on the role of Mother. Of course, Granny is a often different tone than Mother is, though they are the same person.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

^^^ I think like you said Charles and Anne's childhood interactions with their parents were very different from those of Andrew and Edward. I think even Andrew or Edward have said this in interviews, and I think Charles finds that/found that hard to deal with. His upbringing was very traditional to that of a child of the Monarch, or one of an aristocratic family. Even Crown Prince Frederik mentioned that he was raised by nannies and rarely saw his parents. I think the Queen made a choice to spend more time with Andrew and Edward. She referred to Edward as "my baby", and Andrew is said to be her favourite. I think she enjoyed her time as a mother to them as she could appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
If you read Dimbleby's authorised biography of Prince Charles, Charles discribes his parents as being very cold and uninvolved when he was young (not sure how he would discribe it now as I think he was in a different 'place' in some ways when the book was written). I think at least some of that was due to the time constraints the role of Queen imposed on the role of Mother. Of course, Granny is a often different tone than Mother is, though they are the same person.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this point. I've read the Dimbleby book and the contrast between his perception of his parents then as opposed to the documentary Charles did on his life with his "mama" in the Diamond Jubilee year was quite different.

At the time of the Dimbleby book, Charles was going through some major changes in his life and if he is anything like countless other humans I've known (including me), when things are bad we search for a reason and its relatively common to look to how you were raised to perhaps find a clue.

At the time of the Queen's diamond jubilee, Charles' life had smoothed out. He was happy, older and wiser perhaps. A quarter of a century almost had passed and Charles took on more and more of duties his mother has. From the perspective he has now, I think he can honestly look impartially at his parents.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Just a thought that came to mind.

Elizabeth and Charles (particularly during the 1990s) haven't always had the best parent-child relationship which had became common among the monarch and heir in recent generations

It is a Hanoverian that started with King George I and was carried over through the generations to this day. The oldest son (or heir) has a at times a difficult relationship with their parents (mainly the parent who is Monarch. And the parent doesn't always trust the child (heir) and they at times quarrel and the relations at times become strained. And parents have been said to be shy and distance from their kids which may have made them seem cold.

Although George VI and Elizabeth were close and never had problems (maybe because George VI was the monarch and his daughter was heir?) Charles and William have a good relationship same with Edward VII and George V.

George I and his Son
George II and his son Frederick
George III and his sons
Victoria and Edward VII
George V and Edward VIII

King George V kids did love their father but were said to be frighten of him. Same with Edward VII kids.

George V once said:
"My father was frightened of his mother; I was frightened of my father, and I am damned well going to see to it that my children are frightened of me"

Some were better then other and some got better but some were always strained.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Just a thought that came to mind.

Elizabeth and Charles (particularly during the 1990s) haven't always had the best parent-child relationship which had became common among the monarch and heir in recent generations

It is a Hanoverian that started with King George I and was carried over through the generations to this day. The oldest son (or heir) has a at times a difficult relationship with their parents (mainly the parent who is Monarch. And the parent doesn't always trust the child (heir) and they at times quarrel and the relations at times become strained. And parents have been said to be shy and distance from their kids which may have made them seem cold.

Although George VI and Elizabeth were close and never had problems (maybe because George VI was the monarch and his daughter was heir?) Charles and William have a good relationship same with Edward VII and George V.

George I and his Son
George II and his son Frederick
George III and his sons
Victoria and Edward VIII

King George V kids did love their father but were said to be frighten of him. Same with Edward VII kids.

George V once said:
"My father was frightened of his mother; I was frightened of my father, and I am damned well going to see to it that my children are frightened of me"

Some were better then other and some got better but some were always strained.
I suspect the issues you raise about parent-child relationships can be seen n other situations as well, especially where parent and child have to work together (e.g., family businesses).

As regards George VI and Elisabeth, I suspect George died when Elisabeth was only 25, so long before any of these issues can really grate in the work place.

Tags
elizabeth ii, family life, queen elizabeth ii