The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
She may be Queen of the united kingdom and the commonwealth realms but to her husband the duke of Edinburgh she Is lillibet, to her children she is mom and Queen and to her grandchildren she is granny:)

Based on Charles' speech at the Golden Jubilee to her children the Queen is 'Mummy' just as the Queen Mum was still 'Mummy' to the Queen even when she was into her 70s.

We do have a number of references to Philip calling her 'cabbage' as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cabbage? lol

Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We do have a number of references to Philip calling her 'cabbage' as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Cabbage? lol
If I am not mistaken, the term "cabbage" picked up momentum after it was used in "The Queen"
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
has anyone seen this twitter account? Twitter
Yes, I have I think the same person manages the Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince William, and Prince Harry pages as well (they all have similar biographies )
Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC

Absolutely amazing to actually hear HM comment on her work and life.
I love this video! Especially the dancing!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
This is the video I was referring to. Loved it! Dancing queen.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee: Her Grandkids Speak Out : People.com

Prince William: The Queen Is 'Just My Grandmother' : People.com
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

What a great video. It seems you learn so much from seeing these videos, what her thoughts are and how she feels about things. It makes you feel a litter closer to her, like you get to know her as just Elizabeth. :)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Majesty

Delightful articles! Thank you for sharing. It's lovely to read about Eugenie's relationship with her Granny. I remember raspberry picking as a child, and it's a lot of fun, especially when you're doing with someone who's an expert . I bet Her Majesty loves hearing about her granddaughter's time at uni. She definitely strikes as a very doting, devoted and fun grandmother.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Film about Queen Elizabeth -Queen ,Wife, Mother
Enjoy!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Nobility

The costs of being QEII

There is no doubt , that the Queen has made many sacrifices over the past 60 years to be able to do her duty. My question is: Has it been worth it?
I know she has not had any choice in the matter of her job. I just wonder, being a mother of 4, she might wish to have done things differently.

What do you think?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Nobility

Her uncle abdicated when she was 10, or there about. From that point on, she knew her fate, and did her best to do it to the best of her ability. I don't think there is another person past, present or future could have done a better job in this time in our history. She may not remember what she wanted to do when she grew up. After all, she was just a child.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Differently in what way? Different in the way she would have spent more time with her kids? Or her husband? I dont quite understand the question.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Nobility

I am in no way meaning to demean the Queens devotion too duty or her country. I am not British and as such have an outside perspective on her. It just seem to me that her devotion may have had serious consequenses for her children and therefore she perhaps feel the price has been to high.
I myself am a carrier woman and I constantly live with a guilty conscience towards my family

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Her uncle abdicated when she was 10, or there about. From that point on, she knew her fate, and did her best to do it to the best of her ability. I don't think there is another person past, present or future could have done a better job in this time in our history. She may not remember what she wanted to do when she grew up. After all, she was just a child.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
There is no doubt , that the Queen has made many sacrifices over the past 60 years to be able to do her duty. My question is: Has it been worth it?
I know she has not had any choice in the matter of her job. I just wonder, being a mother of 4, she might wish to have done things differently.

What do you think?
She's made sacrifices in her life but she's also been privileged in a way that the majority of us can only dream of, both in terms of wealth and status but also in terms of the people she's met, the places she's been and the role she's played as a world figure. I think Elizabeth, the person, has been fortunate enough to be inherently well suited to her role, in that she seems to be quite content to play the hand she's dealt and do what's expected of her, without over thinking things.

I don't believe she and Prince Philip would have had a drastically different family life if she hadn't been Queen. My impression is that their children's upbringing wasn't atypical when compared to that of their peers in the British upper class.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think you are right. She has lived an, extremely, privileged life. Even if she never became queen, she would have never had to worry about where her children would go to school, have jobs, how she could afford to pay her mortgage. She has done her job well and many people would have loved to do a job that had all the perquisites. She doesn't make any arrangement for trips, how she would get there, pack her own clothes. Her children, have inherited great wealth and power and live lives that suit them. No one is scrubbing floors. Her husband, possibly would not have married her, if she was not the heir. But she would have found someone. She seems to be a kind, decent woman and that is her inherent personality. I don't, beleive she has change life in this world for the better or the worse.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

To regret the actions one takes is to imply that there was a choice to be made. For the Queen there was no choice, no question of not devoting herself body and soul to the duty which she believes God has given her.

I don't think the Queen has ever been a 'what if?' kind of person. She's of the same generation as my grandparents and they were taught not to dwell on what might have been. They just 'got on with it' and I think the same can be said of the Queen. Her first and foremost job has been to ensure that the monarchy remains relevant and valued so that she can pass on the baton to the next in line. I think she has more than succeeded in doing so.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Nobility

Really? Her advice, positive or negative has contributed to the decisions made by the last 12 PMs of one of most powerful countries in the world. She has done this for 60 years. No contribution Good or Bad?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Her advice, positive or negative has contributed to the decisions made by the last 12 PMs of one of most powerful countries in the world.
We don't know that, whatever advice HM gives to those PMs could be ignored at the drop of a hat. They don't have to take on what she says.

The only cost is that HM hasn't been able to be the daughter of the second son of a monarch, and we know that if Edward hadn't abdicated but hadn't married Elizabeth would have become Queen anyway. Her life as the daughter of the second son, I imagine would not have been that different from the life she leads now, it would have been controlled, organised and ruled just like today.

Elizabeth was never going to have a normal life like most of us do, so what has she actually lost?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

My favorite all time three generations photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...27_634x555.jpg

The ladies, out for a ride together. Thanks to the DM for running this again today. You can count on them for photos.

Tags
elizabeth ii, family life, queen elizabeth ii