The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

This is just a personal opinion, but I as one individual DO NOT envy the Queen and the Royal Family either in who they are or what they have and I do know that both are quite significant. YES, the Queen lives in Palaces, has servants, people curtesy and bow to her, she has great wealth, but at what cost? Her children are accorded the same but what do each one of them give up?

I think the main point is neither the Monarch or her family had much choice in the matter. Of course she could have done what her Uncle did and abdicate but at what price, exile to a foreign country and eternal disdain?

It seems that the Monarch and the Royal Family are expected to surrender their LIFE AND PRIVACY in exchange for the "perks."

SORRY, I would not make the trade. I cannot imagine my private conversations with my mate being on the front page of newspapers or the public feeling entitled to decide who I love and who I choose to spend my life with.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post
It seems that the Monarch and the Royal Family are expected to surrender their LIFE AND PRIVACY in exchange for the "perks."
In the past before the advent of the tabloid media, the Royal Family had privacy but they couldn't just live the life they wanted to.

They were born into a position that had certain requirements and they had no choice in the matter. I believe a lot of the anger against Edward VIII (Duke of Windsor) was that he made a choice to reject the crown in a family where one was not supposed to exercise their own wishes in the position they carried in life. I am sure that there were those who felt that if Edward VIII could reject the crown then his brothers could too and then where would the monarchy be then?

What I find amazing in this is that in previous centuries, nobody had a choice as to their position in life; they were born into a position and they died in it. Before the advent of public schooling, fathers taught their sons the secrets of their craft whether it be shoemaking, farming, or skilled labor and mothers taught their daughters the craft of homemaking. I think even in the Queen's early reign, some of the positions in her household were hereditary.

Society has changed so much that the practices of the Royal Family seem like something from another planet some times but they're not - they are just practices from our history.

The story of the Queen's first years as monarch is interesting. I read once that Queen, like many women who take over a man's position, felt she had to work extra hard to prove that she could do a man's job. She made it a point not to get involved in the more traditional female aristocratic pursuits such as selecting the dinner china or worry about seating arrangements. She also took on several military appointments as Commander-in-Chief that observers thought that she was going to give to Prince Philip because she valued the effect that being seen in uniform had on the perception of her as a strong monarch.

I wonder if one side effect of this approach was that she left the raising of the children to Prince Philip much like she left the picking of china and other womanly pursuits to others. Perhaps the young Queen felt that if she had been seen as too maternal, the public would have had a lower opinion of her competence as monarch and in the 50s that would have been a valid concern.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Gentry

I know I couldn't do it. I enjoy being a private person far too much to ever become such a public figure.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
In the past before the advent of the tabloid media, the Royal Family had privacy but they couldn't just live the life they wanted to...
I have a very high degree of respect for the British Monarchy and it's historical significance both to the British people and to the world and it's current relevance as well, please do not misunderstand me.

I think it's the accepted invasion of their privacy that I find so disturbing. How do I put this delicately, as it is a matter of great irritation to me. It was REPORTED in a public venue that within a private conversation that Prince Charles had with the then Mrs. Camilla Parker Boles that it was his wish that he could be one of her personal toilet articles. I have NO IDEA if any such conversation took place or not and do not consider it ANY of my business, but it was reported in the public media. I totally fail to understand WHY it was. There have been reports of "leaked" phone calls that were either intercepted or recorded of various members of the Royal Family over the years and then written about in newspapers, etc. Where I live doing such is a criminal act (recording of private phone conversations.) Illegally obtaining private correspondence documents, etc.

I would be livid if such happened to me and mine.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I totally agree with you diamondBrg. I mentioned the lack of choice because that is the main difference between the royals and the rest of us whereas lack of privacy is also experienced by anyone who catches the media's eye whether it be a celebrity or just a normal person who happens to be newsworthy.

My understanding is that the Royal Family's telephone conversations are regularly taped by government services as a matter of procedure. I don't know why that is. What isn't government procedure is that these tapes get released to the public.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
My understanding is that the Royal Family's telephone conversations are regularly taped by government services as a matter of procedure. I don't know why that is.
The official lines in the palaces are monitored. Very basically, the security services are trained to respond to keywords. Her Majesty probably has her own official line which the highest security clearance only can access.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Majesty

My understanding is that the Camillagate and Squidygate tapes resulted from illegal taping of the conversations between Charles and Camilla and Diana and Gilbey.

I think the reason they were made public was because of the fact that a certian now deceased Princess of Wales chose to collaborate on a tell all book about her private life and as a result the media and public's desire to know more, and a belief that because of the money paid to the royal family they have a right to know, there was a demand for this sort of story.

It sold papers and magazines so the media weren't going to stop the chance to make money and so they fed these stories to the public making the public believe more and more that they have right to know what these people are doing.

It is the same thing now with the young princes drinking.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Gentry

Exactly. Those in the media, when asked why they have no trouble revealing the most intimate moments of a royal's life, would throw it back in the face of the consumer: "You buy the books, magazines, and papers. You watch television. You want what we're giving you. You will keep buying it because you want it." OR "Your taxes pay their salary, you have the right to know what they're doing when you're not looking."

It's a position in which the royals can never really win. If something worthwhile needs publicizing, they need the media to get it out (it would be considered undignified to brag on oneself, right?), but when they need the press to back off, they're accused of being cold and aloof or having something to hide.

Darned if they do, darned if they don't.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

HM was a young mother with Charles and Anne and I think she enjoyed her children as any young woman would. If you look at photos (most notably those taken during their family holiday at Balmoral) when Charles was about 4 and Anne about 2 she looks like she's genuinely having a fun time with them, not just posing for the cameras. By the time Andrew and Edward came along things were much different. Not only was she older (and a more experienced mother) but she was Queen. But she strikes me as a woman very close to her family, including her neice and nephew whom I heard she tried to include in activities with her own children.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Courtier

As a young mother she was a young queen. She didn't have time to be a hands-on mother to her children. She is still a busy monarch with many responsibilities. I think that her grandchildren bring her the same joys and worries that all grandchildren bring their grandparents. She must feel so happy to be around "the younger generation". But she does not have as much time as she wants to spend with her family. She is not retired and is still a working woman.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What Elizabeth and Philip did to Charles was awful, but I know that is what was done at the time, to leave them in the hands of a nanny and go of to do her royal duties.
She has learnt her lesson with her grandchildren, and I think takes a lot of time to be with them.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I also think that since the death of Diana, HM has felt it is her duty as grand mother to spend a bit more time with W & H, and that has probably broiught them all a bit closer
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Serene Highness

My grandparents seldom hugged or kissed my mother or my uncle. They loved them but the cultural backgrounds (Sweden, Northern and Eastern Europe) that they came from kissing and hugging was something which was not done on a regular basis. It was believed at the time that hugging or kissing a child too often would spoil them or make their chilldren too dependent on them. They showed their love in other ways. For example by having all kinds of pictures everywhere of family members was one way. The Queen, like my parents and grandparents grew up in a different era.

Royal child or children of very wealthy individuals are raised very differently than your average person. I was raised by my mother and maternal grandmother (my dad left when I was 5 years old). They were very hands-on as far as day to day parenting. A lot of royal children or children of wealthy individuals don't always get hands-on parenting (they usually have nannys that do the day to day parenting).

I remember many years ago talking to a woman who was from Belgium and who grew up in a upper class background. She had a nanny who basically took the role of mother. If I didn't know that she had a nanny growing up, I would have thought that the nanny was her mother (her parents were distant). When she had problems or difficulties, she would call her nanny (who she was very close to years after she left her parents employ), rather than her mother. She went to college near where her nanny lived. She had lunch with her and often had dinner with her. Her parents didn't seemed to be upset by the arrangement which to me was very strange. She thought my mother and grandmother were strange for being hands-on parents.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I found this.
Why granny dotes most on her son's little girls | Mail Online
Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Aristocracy

I have read that QEII is a very caring granny and especially William has close ties with her.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Grandmothers dotes on their grandchildren. It's very interesting when you hear your parents tell you that your grandparents are not as strict with you as they were with them. I'm sure that Prince Charles could probably attest to that in relationship to his sons.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
I have read that QEII is a very caring granny and especially William has close ties with her.
Thats entirely plausible.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Gentry

I think the people who criticize the Queen for her actions at Di's death forget something: She was doing what her GRANDSONS needed--not what her self-absorbed subject needed. It's very telling, too, that only Charles has ever complained about his parents--the other 3 have only spoken out with the good. I do think the Queen/Philip should have removed Charles from the misery of Gordonstoun and let the press say what they want---I think that may be why Edward was able to quit the Marines. People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
I think the people who criticize the Queen for her actions at Di's death forget something: She was doing what her GRANDSONS needed--not what her self-absorbed subject needed. It's very telling, too, that only Charles has ever complained about his parents--the other 3 have only spoken out with the good. I do think the Queen/Philip should have removed Charles from the misery of Gordonstoun and let the press say what they want---I think that may be why Edward was able to quit the Marines. People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!
I think you have raised a number of very interesting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
People also forget that Di had nannies for her boys, sent them to boarding school at age 8 and was a very typical upper class Mom. Her boys may not have "loved" having to be in all those photo ops with her either!
Quite right.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM

Symbolism of the Queen in british society

Hello everyone! My name is Sanjin & I from Bosnia, and I'm writing an essay on "Symbolism of the Queen in british society". I would appreciate if you could help me and write your opinion on this subject and if you would be so kind as to answer my survey for class.Thank you for taking the time to complete this brief survey for my class project.

LINK: Survey provided by FreeOnlineSurveys.com

Thank you once again!

Tags
elizabeth ii, family life, queen elizabeth ii