The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
this might be slightly off topic but i love this video showing the Queen Mother returning from a 5 week tour of America and Canada. It shows the warmth between her and the Queen and the affection Anne and Charles have for her and she for them. I guess as the Queen had her new role to get o grips with it was inevitable the children would have to be, in part, looked after by others and so, if thats the case, who better than their grandmother. Part of me wishes they still did formal welcome homes like this now.
It is quite a contrast to how the Queen greeted them. Charles and Anne's childhood was much different to Andrew and Edward's though due to the Queen being much more comfortable in her role as Queen. Even Andrew has said how different their childhood was in comparison which is a real shame but it's sadly just the way it was. Andrew and Edward were the Queen's "family", whereas perhaps Charles and Anne (with Charles in particular) were born to secure the line of succession. Who was to know the Queen would go on to have two more boys, but at the time Anne was the 2nd in line to the throne and thus was quite important.

Charles and Anne did have a good childhood though - there is no arguing that. There are plenty of videos of them enjoying holidays and time with their parents. They were extremely close as a children though and still are today.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Courtier

Wasn't there something once said that Charles and/or Anne claimed they did not have a good childhood or that their parents were cold?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just hoping to clear up my own memory.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Wasn't there something once said that Charles and/or Anne claimed they did not have a good childhood or that their parents were cold?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just hoping to clear up my own memory.
I believe Charles did mention something of the sort in the Dimbleby book. There was a lot about Charles' early years he was unhappy with besides his parents.

Home life really had to be a horse of a different color when Charles and Anne were both small. Its a monumental change to go from being Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh to HM, The Queen and, as I've been reading, there were certain quarters that thought perhaps she wasn't ready or fit to be Queen. All of a sudden too, another woman went instantly from HM, The Queen to Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother and that in and of itself had to be a tremendous change. A family that sticks together can overcome these obstacles and I think the Windsor family did just that. Like any family, there are things that the kids didn't like or occasions where it was impossible to all be together and in the long run, the House of Windsor has not only survived but will survive for generations to come.

The contrast between Charles and Anne growing up and Andrew and Edward's childhood, I think, happens in a lot of families. With the first kid, you're playing with a blank rule book and with #2 coming relatively soon, its all trial and error and with the top job the parents had, a lot of criticism. When #3 and #4 came along it was more the case of "been there... done that" and was far more relaxed.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Osipi. As always, you know the answers.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ah my dear grasshopper, its not knowing all the answers but being in the right place to learn some.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

The Jonathan Dimbleby biography about Charles claimed he felt pressured by Philip to marry Diana and that he was never in love with her, and that the Queen was a distant mother.

The book also claimed that he was bullied by Phillip, something I can believe.

I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like. I see him as a pretty cold person, and I don't think he was a good father. But he has been a great support too the Queen, and he he was a great support to William og Harry when their mother died.

And let's oss be clear, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found this video, about the christening of Zara Philps, the queen has Zara in her arms, lovely grandma

Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Jonathan Dimbleby biography about Charles claimed he felt pressured by Philip to marry Diana and that he was never in love with her, and that the Queen was a distant mother.

The book also claimed that he was bullied by Phillip, something I can believe.

I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like. I see him as a pretty cold person, and I don't think he was a good father. But he has been a great support too the Queen, and he he was a great support to William og Harry when their mother died.

And let's oss be clear, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.

Very true. They may not have been a hands on mother but they were not cold and distance. And by the time they had their last two kids HM had been Queen for 8 years and Anne was by then 10. So some time had passed but she became queen when Charles and Anne were very young

I read somewhere King George V and Queen Mary were pretty cold and distance. That was quit different from George Parents as Albert Edward and Alexandra were the opposite of that. From what I have read Edward and Alexandra were loving and caring parents and pretty hands on but not as much as Charles and Diana were or even William and Catherine are now.

And of course we know what kind of Parents Victoria and Albert were. Queen Victoria was a adoring Grandmother but not with her own children.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the late 1940's, 1950's when Charles and Anne were children was a very different era to the 1960/70's and the childhoods of Andrew and Edward. When Charles was a small child the court was a very formal one run by the grey men who had been there since before the war. The new Queen was very influenced by their advice on how to run things.

Nannies ruled the nursery. Mabel Anderson, Charles's first nanny was a very firm minded and rule driven person, it was said. She was devoted to her charges, Charles and Anne , but Princess Elizabeth/the Queen was cowed by her, apparently. She only screwed up the courage to challenge her when Nanny Anderson decreed that some food ordered for Charles by his mother was unsuitable. It resulted in Miss Anderson's dismissal.

I do think that, like Anne, the Queen isn't really a touchy-feely person, who hugs a lot. The Queen Mother probably was. I think Charles as a child probably needed a lot of hugs and demonstrations of love from his parents and didn't get it.

Nevertheless, the Queen was certainly relaxed enough to allow young Edward to play with his toys in a corner of her study while she was working, so it's very clear that things did change for the better over the years.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:50 AM
Royal Highness

As my grandfather says "Anne is like her father. The Queen isn't like that at all. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise."

And according to the Robert Hardman book Our Queen, Phillip once said something like "The problem is that they (the children) are like me and not the Queen."

I agree with this, and as my grandfather says "they have all four inherited their father's stubbornness, temper, the feeling that they have to intervene in matters that don't benefit the monarchy, and the ability to be rude towards their staff.

And to those who say that the Queen is not emotional, they're wrong. She is raised to not show emotion in public, but she does in private. And we've seen her show emotion in public a few times. She wept When Britannia was taken away from her, she was close to tears, when she stood on the balcony for her Golden Jubilee in 2002 and she was in tears during the British Legion Remembrance Service at Westminster Abbey in 2002.

As Kent Gavin said "You don’t see the Queen crying very often. This was the first Remembrance Day service after her mother died – the Queen mother used to lay the wreath every year.

The Queen stood in for her and was visibly upset. I felt quite emotional as I saw the tears roll down her face.

Prince Philip has laid the wreath ever since."

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e5b4d598c...57s1o2_500.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...4/247132_1.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ance%20Service

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/ar...-Elizabeth.jpg

From 3:40
Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

While this is very nice how do we know what she's like in private ? The fact that private means without us or cameras etc we haven't got any idea. She might a lovely person or she might not. We will never really know

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-28-2015, 07:11 AM
Courtier

If my recollection serves me correctly, Princess Anne also made a comment that growing up it was clear one was.not the first priority and H.M has spoken about how one cannot divide the job from ones life and occasionally resenting how much time the boxes take up.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness

I wrote a bit more in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
While this is very nice how do we know what she's like in private ? The fact that private means without us or cameras etc we haven't got any idea. She might a lovely person or she might not. We will never really know

Look at what the children and grandchildren says, look at what William wrote about her last week.
Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest Reigning British Monarch: September 9, 2015 - Page 6 - The Royal Forums

And look at this post.
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh - Page 15 - The Royal Forums

I could have given you many more examples, but I will not discuss more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
If my recollection serves me correctly, Princess Anne also made a comment that growing up it was clear one was.not the first priority and H.M has spoken about how one cannot divide the job from ones life and occasionally resenting how much time the boxes take up.
And as I wrote in an previous post, the Queen was not a 'hands on' mother, but as Anne said, she was not a bad / cold mother.

This article is from 2002
My loving mother, by Princess Anne | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As my grandfather says "Anne is like her father. The Queen isn't like that at all. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise."

And according to the Robert Hardman book Our Queen, Phillip once said something like "The problem is that they (the children) are like me and not the Queen."

I agree with this, and as my grandfather says "they have all four inherited their father's stubbornness, temper, the feeling that they have to intervene in matters that don't benefit the monarchy, and the ability to be rude towards their staff.

And to those who say that the Queen is not emotional, they're wrong. She is raised to not show emotion in public, but she does in private. And we've seen her show emotion in public a few times. She wept When Britannia was taken away from her, she was close to tears, when she stood on the balcony for her Golden Jubilee in 2002 and she was in tears during the British Legion Remembrance Service at Westminster Abbey in 2002.

As Kent Gavin said "You don’t see the Queen crying very often. This was the first Remembrance Day service after her mother died – the Queen mother used to lay the wreath every year.

The Queen stood in for her and was visibly upset. I felt quite emotional as I saw the tears roll down her face.

Prince Philip has laid the wreath ever since."

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e5b4d598c...57s1o2_500.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...4/247132_1.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ance%20Service

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/ar...-Elizabeth.jpg

From 3:40
You truly are a gem! Thank you for sharing the videos, and pictures. Her Majesty also showed emotion when in Westminster Abbey for her Diamond Jubilee. You could see how effected she was by Philip's absence. She shows emotion, but not in a dramatic, theatrical manner. It's dignified, yet very obvious that she's moved.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Why the Queen always forgives Prince Andrew's blunders | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

In the title of the thread should be "and great-Grandmother"
Old 04-25-2016, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether this has ever been posted before. Apologies if it has but I thought it was quite an interesting discussion on the Queen as mother (and Philip as a father), if a bit long. (I found the comment by the Dean of Windsor regarding Anne's engagement as quite revealing, actually.)

The real Elizabeth II - Telegraph
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Royal Highness

What a great read thanks so much for posting. There is so much in there I agree about.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know whether this has ever been posted before. Apologies if it has but I thought it was quite an interesting discussion on the Queen as mother (and Philip as a father), if a bit long. (I found the comment by the Dean of Windsor regarding Anne's engagement as quite revealing, actually.)

The real Elizabeth II - Telegraph
I hadn't read that article in a while. The chaos of those days would make one's head spin. I bet they're happy those days are long behind them and things are in a more calm and stable state now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for posting that link, Curryong. I hadn't read the article before. I found it very interesting and consistent with the views I've formed about HM over the years.

Tags
elizabeth ii, family life, queen elizabeth ii