Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Canada - May 17-25, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HMQueenElizabethII

Heir Apparent
City
Ryde
Country
Australia
As Her Majesty and Prince Philip are going to visit Canada next Tuesday,i open this thread to post information and pics here.
Hope you enjoy.:)

Last edited:
Here is the programme of the first day:

PM
UTC+1

HM and HRH depart London International Airport (Heathrow) for Canada by CanadianForces Airbus A-310 aircraft

PM /
CST

Arrive Regina International Airport, Saskatchewan (Administrative Arrival)

Met by the Governor General, the Prime Minister of Canada, the Lieutenant Governor, the Premier, the Minister-in-Attendance, and other dignitaries

Depart Airport for First Nations University of Canada

Arrive at First Nations University of Canada

Honour song followed by a Flag song

Prayer by an Elder

Reading of the history of Saskatchewan First Nations Veterans (Video displaying a slide presentation on the life of the First Nations soldiers and their return home)

Presentation of a carving to Veterans by Chief Bird, Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations

Walkabout

Depart First Nations University of Canada for Hotel Saskatchewan Radisson Plaza

Media reception

Last edited:
Wednesday 18th May

AM

HM and HRH depart by car for T.C. Douglas Building; transfer to landau

Depart by landau for the Legislative Building

Official Welcome to Canada and Saskatchewan Ceremony

Met by the Governor General, the Prime Minister of Canada, the Lieutenant Governor, the Premier, the Minister-in-Attendance and other dignitaries

Military Honours

Presentation of dignitaries

Words of welcome by Prime Minister Paul Martin

Words of welcome by Premier Lorne Calvert

The Queen replies

Sign the Government of Canada Golden Book and Saskatchewan Visitors’ Book

Walkabout to Legislative garden

HM inaugurates the Queen Elizabeth II Gardens by unveiling a plaque

HM unveils the Golden Jubilee Equestrian Statue of herself on Burmese

Walkabout

THE QUEEN

AM

HM enters the Legislative Building

Unveils a plaque naming the Committees Room (Room 12) with a First Nations name

Views portraits of former Saskatchewan Lieutenant Governors in the Qu’Appelle Gallery

THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

AM

HRH walks to the site of the future Saskatchewan War Memorial

Unveils a plaque commemorating visit to the site and sod-turning by HM and HRH

THE QUEEN AND THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

AM

HM and HRH sign the Speaker’s and Legislative Assembly’s Guest Books

HM unveils the Saskatchewan Centennial Mural

PM

Depart for Town of Lumsden

Arrive at Town of Lumsden

Provincial Centennial Community luncheon offered by the Government of Saskatchewan

Sign Town of Lumsden Visitors’ Book

Mayor presents HM with the Town of Lumsden’s Commemorative Centennial Coin

Depart for Hotel Saskatchewan Radisson Plaza

Last edited:
Thursday 19th May:
PM

HM and HRH depart Hotel Saskatchewan Radisson Plaza for Royal Canadian Mounted Police Depot Division

Ceremony of Remembrance

Depart RCMP Depot for Regina International Airport

Arrive at airport and depart for Saskatoon

Arrive at Saskatoon International Airport

Depart for Canadian Light Source Building (Synchrotron), University of Saskatchewan

Station 1: brief introduction and description of the Canadian Light Source
THE QUEEN

PM

Station 2: explanation of Synchrotron and its health applications

Meets faculty members, graduate students, scientists, and breast cancer survivor(s)

Station 3: Bjorkdale School

Meets Bjorkdale students, principal, parents, and other guests

THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

HRH proceeds to the “Floor”

PM

HM and HRH exit the Canadian Light Source Synchrotron

Presentation of a framed photo of Structural Relief on Canadian Light Source façade

Presentation by the Mayor of Saskatoon of the key of the City to Her Majesty

Walkabout to car

Depart for the Credit Union Centre

Arrive at the Credit Union Centre

Centennial Performance Arts Gala

Meet performers

Depart the Credit Union Centre for Saskatoon International Airport

Depart Saskatoon for Regina

Arrive at Regina International Airport

Depart for Hotel Saskatchewan Radisson Plaza

Last edited:
Friday 20th May:
THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

AM

HRH departs hotel for the McKell Creek Conservation Project

Arrives at the site

Proceeds to grass seeding area

Casts seeds to begin future revegetation efforts

Proceeds to site map to view future site plans of the McKell Wascana Conservation Area

Unveils a plaque dedicating the McKell Wascana site

Proceeds across the bridge, where Mr. McKell signals points of interest

Departs for the Wascana Country Club

Arrives at the Wascana Country Club

Addresses the guests at a fund-raising brunch for wetland conservation

Presents award for long-time conservation activity

Departs for Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts

Arrives at Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts
THE QUEEN

AM

HM departs for Government House Heritage Property

Arrives at Government House Heritage Property Portico Entrance

Walks to unveiling of Government House Heritage Property Centennial Project addition

Unveils a plaque officially opening the addition and naming it the “Queen Elizabeth II Wing”

Proceeds inside through the Frederick W. Johnson Entrance and Foyer

Brief tour of Sir Richard Lake Hall

Visits the J.E.N. Wiebe Interpretive Centre

PM

Proceeds to the Portico Entrance

Signs the Lieutenant Governor’s Guest Book

Signs documents granting approval of the Royal Crown on the insignia of three provincial honours — the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, the Saskatchewan Volunteer Award and the Saskatchewan Centennial Medal.
Departs Government House for Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts

Arrives at Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts

PM

Informal luncheon hosted by the Government of Canada

Address by Minister Ralph Goodale

The Queen replies

Depart the Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts for Regina International Airport

Arrive at airport

Farewell by dignitaries

Depart Regina

Last edited:
Thanx for starting this thread and posting the schedule HMQueenElizabethII.
I thought I'd post a few articles about the Queen's upcoming visit.

Queen to face Canada fur protest

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An animal rights group has said it will follow Britain's Queen Elizabeth during her visit to Canada later this month to protest against the ceremonial bearskin hats worn by her Foot Guard regiments.

A protester dressed in a bear suit and holding a placard reading "Save My Skin!" would be present at all her formal engagements, a spokesman for anti-fur group PETA said on Tuesday.

"The bearskin hats are an international symbol for Britain -- they are as British as the queen herself -- but the cruelty behind them is not internationally known," the spokesman said.

"The skins come from bears killed in Canada, many of whom are shot several times before they die, while some escape the hunters and bleed to death," he added.

Soldiers wearing the tall black bearskin hats are seen around the year outside the queen's Buckingham Palace in London where the changing of her red-jacketed guard is one of Britain's most popular tourist attractions.

The queen and her husband Prince Philip visit Canada between May 17 and 25 where they will attend events in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

"There is no justification for PETA's demonstration at all," a British Army spokesman said.

The Army bought only 100 pelts for the hats each year from the annual cull of 40,000 North American bears, he added.

"The American and the Canadian wildlife authority issue licenses for the killing of 20,000 bears each a year on both sides of the border, out of a population of over a million black bears. It is not an endangered species," he said.

The Army has replaced leopard skin and beaver fur in its ceremonial uniforms but has so far failed to find a suitable synthetic substitute for bear skin.

It says a current trial on a new faux-fur bearskin hat will take up to two years to complete.

Previous synthetic bearskin hats have faded to red, soaked up water in rain, and become charged with static.

"You can shake a bearskin and it goes back to its shape again," the Army spokesman said. "But if the wind blows against a faux-fur bearskin, it looks like a bad hair day."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/10/britain.fur.reut/

A museum that will be fit for a queen

The Queen will be the first to preview the huge $180-million, five-year renewal plan for the Provincial Museum of Alberta announced yesterday.

The Queen will be in Edmonton May 24 and will officially dub the facility as the Royal Alberta Museum.

"Over the next five years we will build a museum that will stand as a proud legacy for Alberta," Community Development Minister Gary Mar said at the museum yesterday.

"We are here to announce that the money has been secured and the architects chosen. The $180-million renewal will create a world-class museum in Edmonton," said Mar.

"It will be a place of pride."

Although building design, collections and programs "will be worthy of Royal designation," the facility will be the people's museum, stressed Mar.

"Every Albertan walking through the doors will feel pride, ownership and a personal connection with our Alberta past."

The province is kicking in $150 million toward the renewal, as part of the Alberta centennial celebrations.

The federal government has earmarked the remaining $30 million for the project under the auspices of Western Economic Diversification Canada.

Planning will be finalized over the summer and made public in the fall when the schematic architectural design is completed. Construction could start as early as fall 2006.

The massive facelift will double the existing 19,700 square metres, completely refurbish the present building and add seven new galleries and exhibitions - including the first children's museum in Western Canada.

"It will give people another reason to visit Edmonton," said Bruce McGillivray, director of the museum, who added that the expansion is about 20 years overdue.

"The museum was state-of-the-art back in 1967 when it was built, but that was almost 40 years ago," said McGillivray.

Earlier expansion plans for the museum in the mid-1980s and 2001 were derailed by downturns in the economy.

The green light on this project "will create a landmark building and help us join the family of provincial museums across the country," added McGillivray.

Plans also call for "a grand plaza" to link the museum with Government House.

New underground parking will accommodate 400 vehicles and the current parking lot will be turned into an interpretive park of plants native to Alberta.

The provincial museum averages 250,000 visitors annually.

Cohos Evamy Architecture and Lundholm Associates Architects will team up to design the facelift.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Entertainment/2005/05/11/1034679.html

Thanks HMQueenElizabethII and Humera for all the information.

So, is the visit still on? There's been a bit of talk that it may be postponed due to the liklihood of an upcoming election ...

Interesting time for the Queen's visit. We have a bit of a political circus going in on Ottawa at the moment. The government might even be brought down while the Queen's here.
I hope things go well and nothing happens to dampen her visit.

Squidgy said:
Thanks HMQueenElizabethII and Humera for all the information.

So, is the visit still on? There's been a bit of talk that it may be postponed due to the liklihood of an upcoming election ...

well the visit's still on as far as anyone can tell. A couple of weeks ago there was talk that the opposition might hold off on any calls for the election in respect for the Queen's visit. But I think that Harper is just itching to become PM. He reeks of desperation.

Here's the PM's speech from today.

Text of Martin's statement
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

“Good afternoon.

Canada has a long and proud Parliamentary tradition, and there are rules and conventions that guide that tradition. Rules and conventions that are older than any of us.

The vote in the House of Commons last night was important, but it was not a matter of confidence.

However, it is clear that in keeping with our Parliamentary tradition, the question of confidence in the government must be settled soon, clearly, and definitively.

I have just met with my caucus. Earlier today, I spoke with my cabinet. And this is what I told them.

On May 17, voters in British Columbia will be going to the polls in a provincial election.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday, I will be in Regina to welcome the Queen to Canada. On Thursday, May 19, I will be in Ottawa. And I am proposing that there be, on that day, a vote on the budget bill. This vote will be a matter of confidence.

Make no mistake: I am committed to working with Jack Layton to pass the budget — a balanced budget that would help strengthen our economy, protect our environment and create a national program of early learning and child care.

I believe that Canadians want this budget passed. And I believe they want an election to be held after the final report of Judge Gomery.

If the government loses the vote next Thursday, I will seek the dissolution of this Parliament and Canadians will know that Stephen Harper and Gilles Duceppe have worked together to force an election less than one year after the last election.

By scheduling this vote, I am respecting my obligations to our Parliamentary tradition.

I call on Stephen Harper and Gilles Duceppe to respect their obligations – to demonstrate respect for Parliament and for Canadians by ensuring this House is able to function between now and the day of the vote, and by committing to Canadians that they will honour and recognize the outcome of the confidence vote.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050511.wmartstat0511/BNStory/Front

So if the vote of confidence on May 19 doesnt pass, then the government will fall two days into the Queen's visit!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Humera ... you are as always, right uptodate on everything. I agree with your comments re. S. Harper ... he is going to make us go to the polls whether we want to or not ... all thanks to his personal ambitions ... and like you say, I hope it doesn't in anyway detract from the Queen's visit.

It does seem certain that an election will be called while Her Majesty is in Canada. I don't see the big fuss, the Queen is alway in Britian when elections are on the go. It will give Canadians a nice distration to see their Queen.

The big question is, if the Queen is in Canada when the government losses the vote of none confidence, will the PM not have to call on her to dissolve parliament, instead of the Governor General? Since protocol states that the Queen outranks the GG when she is in Canada.

timtonruben359 said:
The big question is, if the Queen is in Canada when the government losses the vote of none confidence, will the PM not have to call on her to dissolve parliament, instead of the Governor General? Since protocol states that the Queen outranks the GG when she is in Canada.

The government's already lost its vote of non-confidence and the Queen was not here. Even if the Queen is here when it's time to call for an election and to dissolve parliament I think Adrienne Clarkson will still do it. The Queen may rank her symbolically, but as the Governor General disolving parliament is one of Adrienne's roles. I cannot imagine the Queen reading a speech to dissolve the Canadian parliament when she likely has not been kept up to date about it as Adrienne has been.

I think to avoid embarassment, no matter what the pressure from other forces, Paul Martin will avoid disolving parliament and calling an election while the Queen is here. He'll wait until she's at least 100 feet in the air to make that announcement.

Yes but Martin will have the House vote on the budget on May 19 which he said will be treated as a vote of confidence. He didnt consider yesterday's vote as a vote of confidence. So if he does lose the vote on the 19th, which he probably will, it will mean that the government will be brought down, as he said in his statement
"If the government loses the vote next Thursday, I will seek the dissolution of this Parliament"

Though it would be interesting to see, as timtonruben359 said, if he'll have to ask the Queen instead of the GG to dissolve parliament. The GG is, after all, the Queen's representative in Canada. So obviously the Queen outranks her own representative. If that happens then it'll certainly be an interesting episode in Canadian history, as far as I know there isnt any precedent for this sort of thing, at least not in modern times.

Last edited:
Genevieve said:
The government's already lost its vote of non-confidence and the Queen was not here. Even if the Queen is here when it's time to call for an election and to dissolve parliament I think Adrienne Clarkson will still do it. The Queen may rank her symbolically, but as the Governor General disolving parliament is one of Adrienne's roles. I cannot imagine the Queen reading a speech to dissolve the Canadian parliament when she likely has not been kept up to date about it as Adrienne has been.

The government has not lost a vote of non-confidence. The Conservatives and Bloc passed a motion for a parliament committee which will effect the result of that committee, but technically is not enough to bring down the government.

That being said, The Queen is very well informed on Canadian matters, she is after all the Queen of Canada. One of the Governor General's roles is to forward to the Queen all the happens of parliament. She outranks the GG when they are both together in Canada.

Protocol would seem to suggest that Paul Martin must contact the Palace and find out if the Queen would actually want to dissolve parliament should the need arise while she is here, or if she would perfer the Governor General to carry that duty out.

I would prefer that the Queen be asked, but it might detract from her tour.

thanks for info,HM Queen ElizabethII and Humera about Her Majesty Queen ElizabethII and Prince Phillip's trips to Canada but i cant wait see her new pictures of Queen.

Sara Boyce

Yes,Sara i'm really looking foward to the Queen and Prince Philip's trip.But we can see The Queen and the Prince at the Royal Windsor Horse Show all this weekend.

Yes the Queen is being kept informed about what's going on as timtonruben359 said. On the news last night on the CBC they mentioned that the Queen is watching the situation as it develops and will consult the PM if anything happens.
I also found out that the last time something like this happened was in 1984 under Turner's government when the Queen had to postpone her visit.

Queen will unveil stained glass at legislature

EDMONTON – Six stained glass windows at the legislature, commemorating the monarchy, will be unveiled by the Queen when she visits the province later this month.

The centrepiece, over the main door to the legislature, will recognize Queen Elizabeth's reign and includes symbols of the monarchy and symbols of the province – wild roses.

The other five windows will go over the other two front doors into the building and three interior doors.

Father and son design team Paul and Andre Winter are in the process of finishing the windows, which are estimated to cost $49,000.

"A lot of the colours that we're using, we're trying to keep it as soft as possible, not to detract from the building," Andre Winter said. "Yet the official emblems and all that are going to be with the official colours, the wild rose being pink with the green, and so on.

"There's the crowns in there, so the crowns are going to have the jewels in there. They're all hand painted and some are done with precious metals."

Winter says the used traditional techniques to make the windows, including mouth-blown antique glass and metal-oxide paints.

The Queen and Prince Philip will be in the province from May 23-25. They are visiting Alberta and Saskatchewan to celebrate the provinces' centennials.

http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca-queen-windows20050512

FOLLOWING HER PARENTS TO JASPER

On the Queen's official itinerary, the weekend of May 21 and 22 is noted as simply "private retreat," before she descends on our fair city for a 2 1/2 -day visit.

The Queen and Prince Philip will be, at least on the Sunday, resting and relaxing in our favourite vacation spot on Earth.

There is only one place in Jasper where the Queen would stay.

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Queen Elizabeth's daddy George VI and her mom stayed there in 1939. Prince Edward snuck away from the 2001 Worlds for an overnight at JPL with his new bride.

Edward and Prince Philip dropped in during a break from the royal visit to the 1978 Commonwealth Games.

They all stayed in the royal favourite, the six-bedroom Outlook Cabin. Outlook burned to the ground in 2000, only to be rebuilt, as close as possible to the original, the following year.

And what might the Queen do on her day off?

As the head of the Anglican Church, one might assume she will head to the nearest Anglican parish, Jasper's St. Mary and St. George, to bow her head in prayer.

- Another feather in award-winning photographer Robert Bray's cap. On the Tuesday of the Queen's visit, he has been asked to take the only official portrait of the Queen, Philip, the prime minister and Sheila Martin during this royal tour.

That is, if Paul Martin still is the prime minister.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2005/05/12/1036165-sun.html

Is the Royal visit off?

With the House of Commons paralysed and a vote on the future of the Paul Martin government promised for no later than next Thursday, the Royal visit to celebrate the Alberta and Saskatchewan centennial is now in some doubt.

The Queen is scheduled to arrive in Regina on Tuesday afternoon, where she will be officially welcomed by Paul Martin. The PM is also hosting a dinner for the Royal visitors the next day, before returning to Ottawa to face a non-confidence vote.

It's precisely the sort of political minefield our absentee monarch is at pains to avoid. Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has already suggested the embattled PM wants to use the Queen as a positive photo-op before facing the possibility of an election.

It's not an unreasonable criticism. Basking in the glow of an upbeat Royal visit, with wall-to-wall media coverage, seems like a dandy way to project an image far removed from the Gomery inquiry.

And that's the concern. Several calls to London yesterday confirmed that Canada's developing constitutional crisis has become a major issue for the Queen and her advisers. The phone lines between Ottawa, the Canadian Embassy, and Buckingham Palace are buzzing, and I understand a final decision on the Queen's plans is likely to be made today.

The palace was saying little about the possibility of cancelling next week's visit, only confirming that the Queen will "take the advice of the prime minister" on whether it should go ahead.

But sources in London tell me that a decision "to fish or cut bait" has to be made within the next 24 hours. The Queen, I'm told, is anxious to make what may well be her last visit to Western Canada, but "constitutional considerations loom larger than personal preferences."

Although the Queen is Canada's head of state and our governments and legal system operate in her name, in practice she's an absentee monarch who delegates most of her constitutional power to the Governor General.

For example, Rideau Hall confirms that even if the Queen is visiting Canada, if the Martin government falls next week the PM would tender his resignation to Adrienne Clarkson. She will be on hand to welcome Her Majesty to Saskatchewan, but, like Martin, the Governor General plans to return to Ottawa on Thursday - just in case.

For our symbolic monarch the problem is the unpredictability of elections, and the possibility that the Royal institution itself could become an issue.

Outside Quebec there would seem to be little discernible republicanism sentiment in Canada. But it would be a mistake to assume there is none.

A few years ago, Jean Chretien's office quietly floated the idea that the millennium might be the time to bring the monarchy to an end. Apparently many in the federal Liberal caucus were horrified, but not deputy prime minister John Manley - an occasionally outspoken republican.

Ottawa legend has it that Manley blocked a plan to have the Queen read the federal government's Throne Speech during her Golden Jubilee visit in 2002. Manley's people denied it at the time, but the story was believed in London.

It's not clear whether republican sentiment still bubbles beneath the surface in the present federal Liberal administration (my guess is that it does), but Buckingham Palace's policy - in Australia and New Zealand as well as in Canada - is to avoid politics like the plague. Hence the doubts now hanging over the centennial visit.

The Klein government has said it will promise to make Alberta an election-free zone for the duration of the Royal visit, but it's not clear how it might enforce that restriction on federal politicians or anyone else who feels inclined to use the visit and the accompanying media mob to promote their pet cause or air their grievance.

In the end it will come down to the advice from the PM, and the Queen's own inclinations as a veteran of the monarchy business. Frankly, I think the Ottawa politicians ought to hope she does come, because a cancellation at this late stage would involve its own political costs.

There are an awful lot of people in Alberta and Saskatchewan looking forward to this visit, and it's not the Queen they're going to be mad at if it doesn't happen.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Edmonton/Paul_Stanway/2005/05/13/1037566.html

A more recent article

Royal visit will happen

The Sun has learned political manoeuvrings in Ottawa won't derail the Queen's visit - and that she'll meet personally with the families of fallen Alberta Mounties.

A London source has told the Sun that Buckingham Palace gave Queen Elizabeth's visit to Alberta and Saskatchewan the green light - subject to Ottawa's agreement that the visit not become "overtly politicized."

"Obviously the Queen and her advisers are aware of the political situation in Canada, and the concern is that Her Majesty should not be involved in that in any way," said the source.

RCMP F Division Cpl. Brian Jones confirmed yesterday that some of the family members of fallen officers Const. Brock Myrol, Const. Peter Schiemann, Const. Anthony Gordon and Const. Leo Johnston will meet the Queen at the RCMP Depot in Regina.

The officers died March 3 when they were gunned down by Jim Roszko on his farm near Mayerthorpe, 130 km northwest of Edmonton.

"She is going to enter the chapel for a very private audience," Jones said, adding the ceremony is set for the early afternoon of May 19.

"And then she is moving to the cenotaph where she will lay a wreath honouring all fallen RCMP officers. All the troops and all the cadets in training at Depot, as well as other troops, will be on parade, as she is the head of our force."

The Queen normally avoids scheduling Royal visits within six months of a federal election, and being in Alberta and Saskatchewan next week when the Martin government could fall creates a precedent the palace would rather avoid.

"But she made this commitment and she wants to be there," explained the source. "And as long as everyone agrees to behave, it could work because she's not visiting Ottawa. At the end of the day you have to rely on the good judgment of everyone involved."

After a series of phone negotiations this week, the final decision on whether to go ahead with the visit now lies with Paul Martin. "Her Majesty will take the prime minister's advice," said the source, "but as of this moment she's coming."

Mayor Stephen Mandel said his office has been assured that the prime minister will welcome the Queen and her visit will proceed as planned.

"It would be a real travesty, with the amount of time and effort that Edmontonians have put into this, not to have her come," Mandel said.

"We're looking forward to it. I'm practising my bow."

Mandel said he can't imagine that any political party would make an issue of the Queen's visit.

The program manager for city hall's Kids in the Hall Bistro, a restaurant that provides jobs for troubled youth, hopes everything goes ahead.

The Queen is scheduled to visit Kids in the Hall on Wednesday. "It's kind of an acknowledgement that what we're doing here is really worthwhile, and the youth are pretty jazzed," said Calvin Avery.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2005/05/14/1039511-sun.html

Province calls for fed no-go zone during Queen's visit

If there's still a question about the Queen visiting even if the federal government falls, Alberta doesn't know about it.

But the province has a strong argument ready to raise on the matter.

"Our best advice, from Buckingham Palace, is that Her Majesty the Queen has made the decision to come," said Community Development Minister Gary Mar, responsible for centennial celebrations. "She, of course, is entitled to change her mind as circumstances may dictate, but the best advice we have is that she is coming," Mar said.

That word was issued about 10 days ago, Mar said, adding he has heard nothing about a rumoured meeting today in London to discuss the issue further.

The Queen's official events in Alberta could come just as the federal minority government falls in a vote scheduled for May 19. Traditionally, the monarch does not visit a nation in the midst of an election campaign.

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Ed Stelmach said provincial Tories have decided on an argument to raise if the visit is jeopardized: "Our opinion is that we can solve this issue simply by keeping the federal politicians out of view," he said.

Not having been asked, however, Alberta has not yet advanced that suggestion, he added.

"We haven't sent it anywhere, yet, but that's our position."

Federal politicians would do well to heed it, he added.

"It would be in their best interests to stay out of view, to not try to turn this visit into part of a political campaign. You know, very early in this centennial year we had the tragic loss of four young Mounted Police officers. I think a Royal visit is something a lot of people very much look forward to."

Premier Ralph Klein, speaking Wednesday, said he understands that Ottawa has not advised against the visit.

"It's entirely up to Buckingham Palace as to whether she will come. But I understand the prime minister can advise her, and so far he has not advised her not to come," Klein said.

He agrees that federal politicians should simply stay away from her visit.

"So as long as there is not overt political activity, I don't think it will be an issue. Or using her as a prop, for purely political purposes."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2005/05/13/1037930-sun.html

On Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd The Queen and Prince Philip will have relax and private engagement so no pics on these two days.

And on Monday 23rd May:
PM

Arrive Edmonton City Centre Airport

Met by the Lieutenant Governor, the Minister-in-Attendance, and other dignitaries

Depart for Commonwealth Stadium

Arrive at the Commonwealth Stadium

Met by Premier Ralph Klein and Dr. Klein

Official Welcome to Alberta Ceremony

Military Honours

Centennial Celebrations

Depart for Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

HM and HRH depart Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Westin Hotel

Arrive at Westin Hotel

Dinner offered by the Government of Alberta

Proceed to Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

On Tuesday 24th May:
THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

AM

HRH departs Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Edmonton City Centre Airport, Government Hangar

Arrives at airport

Departs for Mildred Lake gravel airstrip

Aerial tour of major oil sands projects

Arrives at Suncor Energy Inc. Steepbank Mine Complex

Views heavy hauler (outdoors)

Views exhibits (indoors)

Signs the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Visitors’ Book

Departs for Edmonton City Centre Airport

THE QUEEN

AM

HM departs Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Provincial Museum of Alberta

Arrives at Provincial Museum of Alberta

Witnesses an interpretation session for youth

Unveils a commemorative plaque

Reception hosted by the Lieutenant Governor

Signs Jubilee Portrait

Proceeds to Legislature Building

Unveils a commemorative plaque

PM

Proceeds to Legislative Chamber

Words of welcome by the Speaker

Address by Premier Ralph Klein

Address by Her Majesty

Proceeds to the south entrance of the Legislature

Walkabout

Departs for Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

PM

HRH departs Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Edmonton City Hall

Arrives at Edmonton City Hall

Presentation of 100 Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards Certificates

Address by His Royal Highness

Departs for Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

PM

HM and HRH depart Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Northlands Park Agricom

Arrive at Northlands Agricom for the Government of Canada dinner (black tie)

Dinner

Address by Prime Minister Paul Martin

The Queen replies

Depart for Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Last edited:
And the last day Wednesday 25th May:

AM

Depart Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for Edmonton City Hall

Arrive at City Hall

Acknowledge City Councillors

Event with “Kids in the Hall”

Proceed outside to Churchill Square

Presentation of gift by Mayor of Edmonton

Sign the City of Edmonton Visitors’ Book

Walkabout viewing displays of youth activities

Depart for Edmonton International Airport

Depart Edmonton for Calgary

PM

Arrive Calgary International Airport and proceed to Museum of the Regiments

Arrive at Museum of the Regiments

THE QUEEN

PM

Photographs with officers of the King’s Own Calgary Regiment, the Calgary Highlanders, and the Canadian Forces Military Engineers Branch Air Reserve

THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH

PM

Views displays (lower level)

PM

View displays

HM unveils a plaque dedicating Queen Elizabeth II Atrium

HM and HRH sign the Museum of the Regiments Visitors Book

Depart museum for Roundup Centre

Arrive Roundup Centre

Luncheon hosted by Premier Ralph Klein

Depart for the Saddledome

Arrive at the Saddledome (South entrance)

HM signs her portrait

HM and HRH sign City of Calgary registry

City of Calgary Event

Official Departure Ceremony from Alberta and Canada

Depart Saddledome for Calgary International Airport

Arrive Calgary International Airport

Depart for London (Heathrow International) on Canadian Forces Airbus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom