Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Canada - May 17-25, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the Queen will finish her nine day tour to Canada.The Queen has really great time in Canada and the Canadian have given great love for their Gracious Queen.I'm really thank you for Humera,Squidgy,Sara1981,Ephram,...lots for your lovely photos and articles for making this thread so great.Wonderful work everybody!

In Australia too

~*~Humera~*~ said:
yes those were adorable pics.
Yes, so much so that in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald they published it in full colour, with the story, over half a (broadsheet) page. This from a paper that prefers to carry negative stories about the Windsors. The picture must have touched a chord!

More Thanks

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Today the Queen will finish her nine day tour to Canada.The Queen has really great time in Canada and the Canadian have given great love for their Gracious Queen.I'm really thank you for Humera,Squidgy,Sara1981,Ephram,...lots for your lovely photos and articles for making this thread so great.Wonderful work everybody!
Yes, thanks to everyone (don't forget Mandyy and HMQEII) for making this a very special thread. It allowed us to follow the tour in great detail.

Yet again a big thank you to ~*~Humera~*~ for her time and effort in sharing her caps with us.

As always, much appreciated, and enjoyed.

ps.. HM's necklace/earrings/bracelet parure is something else, eh!

W

Last edited:
HMQueenElizabethII said:

And a big thank you to you to HMQueenElizabethII for all of your contributions! It will be sad to see the Queen go. But we still have a day of engagements yet before she goes. I am eager to see the Big Farewell. As well I think she is also visiting a restaurant called "Kids in the Hall" which hires troubled teens and tries to put them on a better path. Should be interesting.

Squidgy said:
And a big thank you to you to HMQueenElizabethII for all of your contributions! It will be sad to see the Queen go. But we still have a day of engagements yet before she goes. I am eager to see the Big Farewell. As well I think she is also visiting a restaurant called "Kids in the Hall" which hires troubled teens and tries to put them on a better path. Should be interesting.

Yes,Squidgy,i also feel sad too,the Queen has really wonderful days in Canada but now when the Queen leaves Canada,i feel something really strange like we just lost really important things out of our hand.:( I'm sure the Canadian will miss their lovely Queen who was said to be their "Grandmother":) But i'm really miss the days the Queen in Canada just passed.
But i wish everything well to Her Glorious Majesty,the Canadians,and to you all the members who have made this thread becomes so wonderful.:)

Prince Philip sits in the cab of 400-ton heavy hauler truck with driver Tracey Gladue while visiting the Alberta oil sands near Fort McMurray. May 24, 2005. The Prince visited the project at the Suncor Complex

Attachments

• r2148845370.jpg
    r2148845370.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 284
  • q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 401
The monarch meets Alberta locals who waited in a downpour to greet her. Some 15,000 braved the weather and turned out for the celebrations
Photo: © EMPICS
Click on photos to enlarge

Representatives of the indigenous Canadian community donned clear macs and sheltered under umbrellas to protect their traditional finery
Photo: © EMPICS

queentit.gif

25 MAY 2005

Having spent her life in the less than sun-drenched climes of Blighty, the Queen is accustomed to dealing with a few drops of rain. And that's probably no bad thing, because there was a distinctly British flavour to the weather when Her Majesty was guest of honour at Alberta's centenary celebrations this week.

The monarch, wearing a fur-trimmed hat and rain mac, was greeted by a blustery downpour when she arrived in the city of Edmonton to mark the Canadian province's 100th birthday. The royal visitor didn't seem the least bit bothered, though, smiling broadly as a group of "White Buffalo" performers welcomed her with a display of traditional indigenous dancing.

Prince Philip and his wife took time to chat with some of the 15,000 hardy locals who braved the nasty weather to meet their head of state. And afterwards the monarch cut the first slice of an ornate birthday cake - an exact replica of Alberta's new legislative building.

Local premiere Ralph Klein was left red faced after he nearly knocked off the sovereign's hat with his umbrella, but the Queen, who says Canada is one of her favourite countries to visit, wasn't about to let the mishap spoil her day.

The royals have been dogged by bad weather since they began their nine-day visit. High winds were waiting for the couple when they arrived in Saskatchewan last week and heavy rains have dampened spirits at several more appearances since then. Organisers in the city of Calgary won't be caught out, however, as they are planning to make their welcome ceremony an indoor affair.

The Queen looked amazing at the gala Tuesday night. Her TIARA AND JEWELS, the fur, the gown...She looks so regal and majestic. Thanks for the pictures.

Queen Elizabeth II accepts a bouquet of lilacs from an admirer during her walkabout in Edmonton, May 25, 2005. Thousands turned out at Edmonton's city hall to see Her Royal Highness before she left for Calgary.

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 314
  • q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 413
  • q3.jpg
    q3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 340
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 360
  • q5.jpg
    q5.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 383
  • q6.jpg
    q6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 408
You're welcome everyone. Im really glad that all of you have appreciated and enjoyed all the pictures:)
Time has gone by so fast. But its not over just yet. The Queen and Prince Philip will be at the Farewell ceremony at Calgary's Saddledome in just around 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, here are some more pics from yesterday. I loved the saphires the Queen was wearing.

Attachments

• AP993984_guest.jpg
    AP993984_guest.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 222
  • AP994002_guest.jpg
    AP994002_guest.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 166
  • AP994004_guest.jpg
    AP994004_guest.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 210
  • AP994001_guest.jpg
    AP994001_guest.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 206
  • AP993989_guest.jpg
    AP993989_guest.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • AP993985_guest.jpg
    AP993985_guest.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 233
  • AP993981_guest.jpg
    AP993981_guest.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 172
  • AP993980_guest.jpg
    AP993980_guest.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 207
As usual ... lovely pictures Humera & Mandyy! She looked like a fairytale version of a Queen last night, didn't she? The fur and dripping in priceless jewellry from head to toe.

I'm looking forward to watching the farewell too. In fact I better go turn the TV on ...

Australis said:
Geee!! the this Queen has a beautiful smile!!! I am sorry to say I never notice this before. Those lovely pinks, greens and pale yellows also look so very good on her. To me she looks so young and more alive than ever. What is happening? Is like suddenly she has a new light on her. Perhaps she is being converted. :eek:

I agree. I've been used to thinking the Queen's wardrobe as rather dowdy. But all the outfits she has worn during her visit are beautiful, no dowdy flowery dresses that I've seen her wear before. The bright colours she has been wearing dont age her.
And I also think its the crowds that show up to greet her. The Queen is always very relaxed and happy on her tours of Canada and the press often says its her favourite country to visit, infact like her late mother she says its her "home away from home." While she is only a symbolic figurehead, Im glad when she is here people do show up to greet her warmly.
I also agree with you about the transformation in her. Maybe im noticing it for the first time but she does seem to have become more mellow and cheerful in her old age, not so distant.

I'm glad Australis & Humera that you too have noticed a transformation in the Queen lately. She does seem happier and more relaxed. I think it is in part that she is happy in Canada, as you say Humera. Also, I think maybe it has something to do with aging. I find that older people who have lived a "good life" seem more at peace. And by "good life", I don't mean a life of privilege, but just that you have lived your life as well as you could given your circumstances, etc. That you've tried your best and given your all. And she can surely say she has ... she has given her life to the service of her country & the commonwealth.

And I can't help but think that part of her happiness is due to the fact that the whole Camilla/Charles thing has, more or less, been settled. She is after all a mother as well as a monarch. And whatever her personal (& our) feelings about Camilla, she must be happy that Charles has found someone to support him. She, more than anyone, realizes what a difficult role it is to be monarch. To know that Charles will have someone by his side when he takes on that role, must be a comfort to her.

Ooops! Guess I "talked" long enough. It's been great having the Queen here, and here's to many more visits from Our Majesty!

check it out on mirror articles about 'Furry Queen'

25 May 2005
THE FURRY QUEEN
By Megan Lloyd Davies
THE Queen looks furry stylish as she steps out into the rain on her tour of Canada yesterday.

Decked out in pearls and fur, Her Majesty made a defiant fashion statement at the Alberta centennial celebrations.

Earlier this month, protesters vowed to demonstrate against the Canadian fur trade.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals had urged campaigners to write to the Queen in protest at the licensed killing of bears in Canada for skins worn by the Guards regiment. The ceremonial hats are a familiar sight during events such as Trooping the Colour.

Advertisement

PETA have also vowed to protest during the Queen's 10-day tour of the country. Last night, Buckingham Palace could not confirm whether the Queen was wearing real or fake fur.

More photos from today

Attachments

• q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 351
  • q7.jpg
    q7.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 345
  • q6.jpg
    q6.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 275
  • q5.jpg
    q5.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 272
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 379
  • q3.jpg
    q3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 357
  • q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 357
  • q8.jpg
    q8.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 348
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
check it out on telegraph articles

Queen dazzles Canada in tiara, sapphires and fur
By Caroline Davies in Edmonton
(Filed: 26/05/2005)

In pictures: The Queen in Canada

When the Queen decides to look ultra regal there are few, if any, to surpass her, as the Canadians discovered at her eve-of-departure banquet.

She gave them the full treatment -glittering diamond tiara, coin-sized sapphires at throat and wrist, elaborate Canadian orders pinned to her white lace evening gown and pure white fur stole.

wqueen26.jpg
The Queen stresses her role as head of state before departure
The image was of supreme queenliness, a reminder to her north American subjects of her lofty position as head of state, however nominal, in a country attached to the Crown by the most tenuous of threads.

As Canadians debate the rights and wrongs of inheriting a monarchy from far-off shores, the Queen made her position crystal clear on the penultimate day of a nine-day tour of Saskatchewan and Alberta, during which she celebrated the centenary of both western provinces joining the Confederation of Canada.

Addressing the Alberta Legislature in Edmonton, the first reigning monarch to do so, she reiterated her duty to a country she holds dear.

"During a previous visit 32 years ago, I said: 'I want the Crown in Canada to represent everything that is best and most admired in the Canadian ideal. I will continue to do my best to make it so during my lifetime, and I hope you will all continue to give me your help in this task.' "

To table-thumping applause from the gathered politicians, she added: "I would like to repeat those words today as, together, we continue to build a country that remains the envy of the world."

Later, in a speech to 1,200 guests at the official Government of Canada banquet, she reflected fondly on past visits - 22 to date - and said: "Of course the relationship between Crown and Canada evolves with the times, as it should.

"But I for one can sense the continuity. It seems to me like yesterday that small girls offered me flowers on my first visit 54 years ago, yet today, I suspect, it is their grandchildren who are presenting the bouquets."

The speech was delivered both in English and near faultless French, which even Canada's French-speaking, more republican-leaning scribes described as "largely free of any poshisms one might expect from English royalty".

Paul Martin, the Liberal prime minister who survived a confidence vote during the Queen's visit, was at her side at the gala dinner to remind her of the "interesting weather" that washed out key celebrations.

There have been other, minor hiccups and breaches of protocol, but the Queen has taken it all in her stride. The banquet allowed Canadians a glimpse of a sparkling monarch rather than the drenched figure with plastic umbrella that has appeared on their television screens of late.

caroline.davies@telegraph.co.uk

check it out on bbc news

Queen 'shows some teeth' for snap

_41182173_mid_pahanson_203.jpg
It is the Queen's 22nd visit to Canada, where she is head of state

Queen Elizabeth II has been asked to "show some teeth" for an official portrait on her state trip to Canada.

Award-winning photographer Robert Bray told her: "Big smile - show some teeth... over here - into the camera."

The Queen smiled but her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, seemed perplexed by Mr Bray's approach, PA News reported.

The couple were at a state banquet in Edmonton, Alberta, on the eve of their departure after a nine-day visit to the Commonwealth country.

The trip aimed to mark the centenary of Saskatchewan and Alberta's entry into the Confederation.

The Queen is the head of state in Canada.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
For more than half a century, you have given us your love and dedication as our Queen
end_quote_rb.gif

Paul Martin
Canadian prime minister

Robert Bray has been named Canada's Portrait Photographer of the Year three times and Alberta's Photographer of the Year five times.

The portrait resulting from his photoshoot will be hung on government buildings throughout Canada.

The Queen was wearing a white evening gown and fur stole, along with a diamond tiara and sapphire necklace when she was photographed.

Addressing guests at the banquet, she said: "Your enduring ties to the Crown stand not only for a respect of heritage but also for the principles of peace, order and good government..." Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin said the Royal visits were "very special" to his country. "For more than half a century, you have given us your love and dedication as our Queen," he said.

The Queen at the departing ceremony.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 350
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 395
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 336
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 324
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 353
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 352
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 338
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 298
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 342
  • a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 345
selrahc4 said:
Same hat and coat she wore April 9th at Windsor, isn't it?

yes thats the outfit she wore to Prince Charles' wedding.

Here are the screen caps from today.
The Queen arriving at the Calgary Saddledome for the Farewell bash. She was greeted by a crowd of some very loud kids carrying the Canadian and blue Alberta flags.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 176
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 171
The Queen was given some parting gifts, including a small bronze statue on behalf of the Calgary Stampede.

Attachments

• 1ob.JPG
    1ob.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 163
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 1r.JPG
    1r.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 183
The Queen arrives inside the saddledome amid loud cheers from 15,000 people. "God Save the Queen" was sung.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 162
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 2e.JPG
    2e.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 2i.JPG
    2i.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 2j.JPG
    2j.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 147
  • 2h.JPG
    2h.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 2g.JPG
    2g.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 2f.JPG
    2f.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 227
At the end of the performance the Queen inspected and spoke to members and veterans of the various forces.

Attachments

• 2k.JPG
    2k.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 2l.JPG
    2l.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 2m.JPG
    2m.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 179
  • 2n.JPG
    2n.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 2o.JPG
    2o.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 2p.JPG
    2p.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2q.JPG
    2q.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 168
some more.....

Attachments

• 2v.jpg
    2v.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 2u.JPG
    2u.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2t.JPG
    2t.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 2r.JPG
    2r.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 2s.JPG
    2s.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 190
and more.....

Attachments

• 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 3b.JPG
    3b.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 3c.JPG
    3c.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 3d.JPG
    3d.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 3e.JPG
    3e.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 3f.JPG
    3f.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 3g.JPG
    3g.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 3h.JPG
    3h.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 3i.JPG
    3i.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 3j.JPG
    3j.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 250
thank u humera for taking time to post those pictures :) great job

The PM, Premier, Governor General (in lime/yellow jacket), the Lieutanent Governor, RCMP commissioner and many other officials were also present at the event.

Attachments

• 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 4g.JPG
    4g.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 4f.JPG
    4f.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 214
  • 4e.JPG
    4e.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 4d.JPG
    4d.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 4c.JPG
    4c.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 4b.JPG
    4b.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 201
Just before the royal couple left, all the performers sang "will you no' come back again," a beautiful song that's a favourite of the Queen's as well as her late mothers. It certainly made her smile and as the performers waved at her, the Queen waved back a few times.

Attachments

• 5a.JPG
    5a.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 5b.JPG
    5b.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 5c.JPG
    5c.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 5d.JPG
    5d.JPG