Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Canada - May 17-25, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen talks to some of the perfomers including country singer Paul Brandt and talks to some of the kids just before leaving.

Attachments

• 6b.JPG
    6b.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 6c.JPG
    6c.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 6d.JPG
    6d.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 6e.JPG
    6e.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 6f.JPG
    6f.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 6g.JPG
    6g.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 214
  • 6h.JPG
    6h.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 6i.JPG
    6i.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 6j.JPG
    6j.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 166
The Governor-General, Prime Minister, Lieutanent Governor, Premier, and other politicians gathered at the airport to say goodbye to the Queen and Prince Philip.
The Queen left in the same Canadian military airbus she arrived in. Apparently as a rule the host country provides the transportation for her.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 207
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 166
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 187
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 203
and some more

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 2e.JPG
    2e.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 2d.JPG
    2d.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 156
Some more pics:

Attachments

• rtrlive889912.jpg
    rtrlive889912.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 204
  • rtrlive889971.jpg
    rtrlive889971.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 219
  • rtrlive890103.jpg
    rtrlive890103.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 246
  • rtrlive890281.jpg
    rtrlive890281.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 170
  • rtrlive890301.jpg
    rtrlive890301.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 266
  • rtrlive890309.jpg
    rtrlive890309.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 199
  • rtrlive890324.jpg
    rtrlive890324.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 149
  • rtrlive890333.jpg
    rtrlive890333.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 161
  • rtrlive890334.jpg
    rtrlive890334.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 176
And more pics:

Attachments

• upiphotos632808.jpg
    upiphotos632808.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 217
  • upiphotos632809.jpg
    upiphotos632809.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 175
  • upiphotos632810.jpg
    upiphotos632810.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 187
  • upiphotos632811.jpg
    upiphotos632811.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 223
  • upiphotos632802.jpg
    upiphotos632802.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 180
  • upiphotos632805.jpg
    upiphotos632805.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 217
  • upiphotos632804.jpg
    upiphotos632804.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 176
  • upiphotos632803.jpg
    upiphotos632803.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 150
  • rtrlive890342.jpg
    rtrlive890342.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 165
  • upiphotos632807.jpg
    upiphotos632807.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 201
The Queen is gone! (Boo hoo) :(

Thanks for all the lovely pictures Mandyy, Humera and HMQueenElizabethII! I felt like I was right there in Alberta & Saskatchewan.

check it out today on hello articles

The monarch, wearing jewels and in full evening regalia, is welcomed by Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin. After the banquet she went on a 45-minute walkabout to meet the crowds of well-wishers who had turned out to see her
Photo: © EMPICS
Click on photo to enlarge

queentit.gif

26 MAY 2005

The Queen made an appropriately regal impression when Alberta's regional government staged a state banquet in her honour this week. Her Majesty arrived for the event in a white lace evening gown and fur stole, complemented by a diamond tiara and sapphire necklace and earrings.

She and her husband were greeted by Prime Minister Paul Martin, who was every inch the charming host. The monarch might have been forgiven for feeling a little taken aback by the over-familiarity of some of the photographers, though. "Big smile – show some teeth," shouted award-winning lensman Robert Bray, before adding: "Over here – into the camera."

The Queen showed no sign of irritation, cooperatively flashing a broad smile for the snapper. And the royal couple were both clearly enjoying themselves as they went on a walkabout outside Edmonton's City Hall. When the sovereign sought out a group of little girls who had come along to present her with flowers, Prince Philip broke with protocol by lifting several of the children over the barriers.

"I couldn't believe it when he started telling children to climb over the barricades and lifting them over so they could give flowers," confessed Lynn Mandel, the wife of Edmonton's Mayor Stephen Mandel. "I think both of them put people at ease. They know people are awkward, probably, about what to say and do."

One person who wholly agreed with Lynn's assessment was nine-year-old Canadian Megan Brehon: "She's my favourite royal because she likes Canada," she said.

Before leaving Her Majesty also took time to meet members of the Canadian branch of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Association, who were accompanied by several of their four-legged friends. Greeting another couple who had brought along their pet cow offered a rather different challenge.

check it out!

Thousands give Queen Elizabeth carnival send-off in Edmonton on final day of visit to Canada

The Associated Press A well-wisher expresses her excitement at meeting Queen Elizabeth II during the monarchs walkabout at Edmonton City Hall Wednesday, May 25, 2005. The Queen is in Alberta to celebrate the province's centennial. (AP PHOTO/CP, John Ulan)
EDMONTON, Alberta — Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip received a carnival send-off complete with cowpokes twirling ropes beside Shetland ponies Wednesday on the final day of their visit to Canada.

Despite overcast skies and a biting wind, about 6,000 people — many waving tiny flags of Canada, Alberta and the United Kingdom — came to Sir Winston Churchill Square in downtown Edmonton to say goodbye.

Later the queen, wearing a cream-colored suitcoat and matching hat, was treated to a royal goodbye by some 10,000 people at the Calgary Saddledome before heading to the airport.

She received military honors and reviewed the guard of honor mounted by her two regiments — the Calgary Highlanders and the King's Own Calgary Regiment.

The queen's 22nd visit to Canada included tours in neighboring Saskatchewan, another prairie province marking its 100th anniversary of joining the Canadian Confederation.

Some came dressed Wednesday in their royal best, including six little girls in tiny tiaras. Among the onlookers was Chantelle Kent, 9, who said she got up at 5:30 a.m. for the show. She and her sister, 12-year-old Morgan, said the 79-year-old monarch looked like their grandmother.

"She has the bluest eyes," said Morgan.

The royal visit was marked by wet, windy weather wherever the queen went. It poured during her first full day in Regina and again in Edmonton on Monday. The heavy downpour forced organizers to curtail an outdoor dance and music extravaganza at the city's Commonwealth Stadium.

Throughout it all, the queen retained her smile and appeared unconcerned, carrying her own umbrella and accepting flowers from children. She also thanked veterans of war and bent down to pet a pack of corgis, the short-legged little Welsh dogs beloved by the queen.

"She was very sweet," said Jennifer Hancock of the Welsh Corgi Association of Canada. "She took the time to say hello and be with them and wanted to know all their names. She was just beautiful."

The royal couple received a send-off at the Calgary airport by Prime Minister Paul Martin and other senior political and cultural officials.

On the Net:

Royal Visit site:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/special/royalvisit2005

All very nice. :)

I'm very happy. This seems to have been a completely successful visit. Even those anti-fur protesters didn't cause too many problems.

Its amazing how packed the Queen's last day of the visit was.
She began in Edmonton where, among other things, she visited "Kids in the Hall" a restaurant run by troubled teens

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 4b.JPG
    4b.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 223
Still in Edmonton, the Queen went on a walkabout at Edmonton City Hall. Prince Philip apparently broke from protocol by lifting some kids over the barriers so they could present flowers to the Queen.

Attachments

• AP994748_guest.jpg
    AP994748_guest.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 227
  • AP994848_guest.jpg
    AP994848_guest.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 266
  • AP994813_guest.jpg
    AP994813_guest.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 232
  • AP994739_guest.jpg
    AP994739_guest.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 220
  • AP994738_guest.jpg
    AP994738_guest.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 255
  • AP994732_guest.jpg
    AP994732_guest.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 283
  • AP994726_guestEdmonton City Hall.jpg
    AP994726_guestEdmonton City Hall.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 257
  • AP994713_guest.jpg
    AP994713_guest.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 269
Polfoto 25-05-2005 Queen Elizabeth II unveils a plaque dedicating the Queen Elizabeth Atrium while visiting the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary, Wednesday, May 25, 2005. (AP Photo/Paul Chiasson)

Attachments

• AP994674_guestMuseum of the Regiments.jpg
    AP994674_guestMuseum of the Regiments.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 245
  • AP994708_guest.jpg
    AP994708_guest.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 242
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 243
Next in Calgary, the royal couple had a luncheon with the Premier
All of this before she attended the Farewell bash at the Saddledome.

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 197
check it out on bbc news about farewell to HM Queen and Prince Philip

Royal pair bid farewell to Canada

_41188419_queen2_203_pa.jpg
2,000 performers gave the Queen a send-off at Calgary's Saddledome

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have bid farewell to Canada at the end of a nine-day state visit.

A TV spectacular - including a hoe-down and country-and-western music - brought a close to the Queen's 22nd trip to Canada, where she is head of state.

The Royal couple's tour of Saskatchewan and Alberta provinces attracted big crowds and culminated in the send-off by 2,000 performers in Calgary city.

The western provinces are celebrating 100 years since joining Canada.

Political turmoil

The trip has also included a state banquet in Edmonton, Alberta; a visit to the national police training centre in Regina, Saskatchewan, to visit a memorial for four Mounties shot dead; and a tribute to First Nations (or Canadian aboriginals) World War II veterans.

The Queen's last visit was in October 2002 for the Golden Jubilee tour. This tour came amid political turmoil in the Commonwealth country. Hit by rain throughout, the trip began two days before Paul Martin's Liberal minority government, dogged by a corruption scandal, narrowly won a vote of no confidence.

The Queen arrived at London Heathrow Airport on 26th May before departuring for Scotland.I think the Queen and the Duke are having break in Scotland.Anyone know about that?:)

Attachments

• QueenHeathrowAirport26thMay.jpg
    QueenHeathrowAirport26thMay.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 519
  • TheQueenHeathrowAirport26thMay.jpg
    TheQueenHeathrowAirport26thMay.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 567
HMQueenElizabethII said:
The Queen arrived at London Heathrow Airport on 26th May before departuring for Scotland.I think the Queen and the Duke are having break in Scotland.Anyone know about that?:)

I'd say she needs a break!
Its been a very busy visit.
btw...i hope the weather in scotland is good. While the Queen was in Canada and it rained during some of her engagements some people commented that she's probably used to it, after all she holidays in scotland;)

did the Queen bring all the dogs with her to Canada or she missed them so much that her butler took the dogs to welcome her at the airport?

the photographer was so rude to her, can't believe sth. like this happen. even we common ppl don't do that to others. since this man is taking pictures, and award-winning, i think he should know more about etiquettes. it's so shameful of him to snap at a elderly lady, let alone the Queen

florawindsor said:
did the Queen bring all the dogs with her to Canada or she missed them so much that her butler took the dogs to welcome her at the airport?

the photographer was so rude to her, can't believe sth. like this happen. even we common ppl don't do that to others. since this man is taking pictures, and award-winning, i think he should know more about etiquettes. it's so shameful of him to snap at a elderly lady, let alone the Queen

I assume you're talking about the incident at the state banquet? actually the photographer didnt snap at the Queen. The print media usually makes a huge deal out of such things and also incidents like that are misinterpreted by the journalists who write and people who read them. I actually saw the highlights of the dinner on tv and the part where the Queen, Prince Philip, Prime Minister Martin, and his wife all posed for the photographer. I only recall him saying "everybody smile"
Infact if he had said something inapporpriate it would've been mentioned on the tv coverage right away, as it usually is.
I also wanted to mention this before, I've been reading the articles about the Queen's visit, especially those in the British media. There's nothing wrong with most of them. But a few, like the HELLO articles for example, actually got some details wrong. I was surprised because I saw most of the events live on tv and so spotted the mistakes right away.

I doubt she took her dogs to Canada; I'm not sure about the rabies quarantine laws between the UK and Canada these days, but until recently there was no question of taking dogs out of Britain and expecting to be able to bring them back again without quarantining them.

If she was on her way to Balmoral, the dogs were probably brought from wherever they'd been staying so they could go with her.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I assume you're talking about the incident at the state banquet? actually the photographer didnt snap at the Queen. The print media usually makes a huge deal out of such things and also incidents like that are misinterpreted by the journalists who write and people who read them. I actually saw the highlights of the dinner on tv and the part where the Queen, Prince Philip, Prime Minister Martin, and his wife all posed for the photographer. I only recall him saying "everybody smile"
Infact if he had said something inapporpriate it would've been mentioned on the tv coverage right away, as it usually is.

thank you Humera. good to know that something this horrible never happened:p but it's on many newspapers--sundaytimes,mirror,scotsman,globeandmail, mail, torontosun...etc
is it possible that this part was cut?

florawindsor said:
thank you Humera. good to know that something this horrible never happened:p but it's on many newspapers--sundaytimes,mirror,scotsman,globeandmail, mail, torontosun...etc
is it possible that this part was cut?

it is possible. But my point was that newspapers sometimes blow things out of proportion and make mistakes, as I have noticed during this visit by the Queen.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I also wanted to mention this before, I've been reading the articles about the Queen's visit, especially those in the British media. There's nothing wrong with most of them. But a few, like the HELLO articles for example, actually got some details wrong. I was surprised because I saw most of the events live on tv and so spotted the mistakes right away.

Exactly. I find if I know a subject fairly well, that articles about it in the papers & magazines ALWAYS get something wrong. And the funny thing, is it's usually a detail that is pretty easy to find by doing a few seconds of research on the net - like where or when something happened. And I think, if they can't even get this right, how can I trust them with the less factual stuff?

As for Hello magazine ... well they have nice pictures. As for their articles, I don't put too much stock in them. They pay celebrities (even the royal ones) to pose for them, so they are dependent on keeping good relations with the celebrities. Most of their stories are presented in a very positive light - sort of like looking at the world with rose coloured glasses!

HMQueenElizabethII said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A break? No, of course not! After a nine-day visit to Canada and all the time gap between Canada and Britain (and I read somewhere that travelling from west to east is much more tiring than the opposite direction), what did he do?
You said that they went Scotland. Days ago I had checked the calendar of carriage driving competitions and, as I remembered that there was a competition in Scotland last weekend (the location is Hopetoun), I've just had a look to results. And I found what I expected. He took part in the competion (last Friday, Saturday and Sunday). :eek: And he finished first (well, there were only two competitors in his class, but I think his points are fairly good).

Picture:

hopetoun_2005.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
ROYAL SISTERS TO HONOUR QUEEN MOTHER

British royals PRINCESS BEATRICE and PRINCESS EUGENIE are being confirmed in the late QUEEN ELIZABETH, THE QUEEN MOTHER's favourite chapel, in honour of her memory.

The two teenage daughters of SARAH FERGUSON, DUCHESS OF YORK and PRINCE ANDREW will receive confirmation from the DEAN OF WINDSOR, THE RIGHT REVEREND DAVID CONNER - the priest who said the final prayers for their much-loved great grandmother moments before her death (MAR02).

The ceremony will take place at the Royal Family's All Saints chapel in Windsor, England, next month (JUN05), and despite speculation that the ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY would be the first choice, Prince Andrew was determined to pay tribute to the deceased matriarch by recruiting Conner.

A friend of Prince Andrew says, "All Saints is the parish church for Royal Lodge, which used to be the Queen Mother's home and is where Andrew now lives.

So the Ceremony will be on this Sunday 5th June.I think the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will come back to be at the Ceremony.On 4th JUne the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be at Empsom Derby.

If I were home after a nine day visit to Canada, I would have slept for a week. :D

Fairmont hotels

every time the queen stays in canada she resides at the Fairmont Group of hotels which are the best hoteld in Canada. During this trip she spent a private weekend at the Jasper Park Lodge which is a beautiful hotel set in acres of ground. I visited the place recently on a visit to Canada the hotel has a fab golf course and is situated about 5km out of jasper townsite and is beside a beautiful lake. the hotel has log cabins rather than rooms within a building and is not as grand as other hotels in the group.
http://www.fairmont.com/Jasper/

I believe she also has stayed at the Banff Springs hotel which is like a fairytale castle.
http://www.fairmont.com/BanffSprings/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom