Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Australia - October 19-29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for our Aussies, would Queensland be considered more monarchist than the other states? Excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question.

Quick question for our Aussies, would Queensland be considered more monarchist than the other states? Excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question.

Given the response to the Queen's visit I would garner a yes response but I'll leave that to RoyalistRiley as he lives in QLD full-time. I found it interesting that it was mentioned during her visit that QLD is the only "state" that she's Queen of. So she's Queen of Australia and Queen of Queensland but not Queen of NSW for example.

Given the response to the Queen's visit I would garner a yes response but I'll leave that to RoyalistRiley as he lives in QLD full-time. I found it interesting that it was mentioned during her visit that QLD is the only "state" that she's Queen of. So she's Queen of Australia and Queen of Queensland but not Queen of NSW for example.

Recap of the Queens tour of QLD - YouTube

I saw the Queen today from a long way back still it was very exciting. My 3 year old grandson was very happy to see Prince William's grandma and grandpa

Not a silly question at all :flowers: I wouldn't say there is an overriding monarchist sentiment running through all Queenslander's blood - like all Australians we do feel a great deal of loyalty and admiration for our Queen. I will admit though that being at South Bank was like nothing I have ever experienced before - I had never realised just how popular the Queen is. I could not imagine anyone else who would attract such a crowd and such a warm welcome.I can say that despite the chaos of trying to get a glimpse of HM ,there was a very happy and joyous atmosphere among the massive crowd as everyone waited. There was also a cross-section of ages and races as well, which is suprising as the republicans always go on about how marginalising having a white British Protestant woman as Head of State is.

Queensland did record the highest No vote in the 1999 republic referendum at just over 62%; however, under the way that a referendum is conducted - a majority of Federal electorates in the majority of states must vote yes - I would say this is a likely result as there are a number of seats in rural and regional areas in Queensland where conservatism tends to dominate, while republican support is concentrated in the inner city 'elites'. Most people I know wouldn't dream of making Australia a republic - and the few that do tend to have communist/extreme left/anarchist tendencies or who just have a grudge against Britain, but at the end of the day it's not a burning issue that dominates conversation here or elsewhere in the nation.

That's how I read the situation - but I'm still at school so my practical application of politics is a bit rusty and naive and the referendum was when I was only a little kid so I can't be entirely sure. Perhaps there are some other Queenslanders who could shed some light?

American Dane, I wouldn't read too much into HM making reference as to how she is Queen of Queensland specifically - she does have a direct representative in all 6 states and I have a feeling it was more to do with the inevitable cliches and newspaper headlines (e.g. Queen's Land - as the Courier Mail proclaimed the next day) that pop up when she comes to visit.

As one of the tens of thousands of Victorians who welcomed the Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh today in Melbourne I would have to say that many, many people of all ages in all states are strongly in favour of the Monarchy.
The system of government is stable and trusted and many Australians value the relationships with individual royals, such as Queen Elizabeth, that have been built with Australians over the generations. There is a long history.
Australians are proud to be generous hosts to such a grand lady.
I have not heard one negative comment about the Queen's visit in my personal sphere. (I'm not talking about some talk back radio or freedom of expression in newspapers.) In the street, from actual people I know and see, all comments have been positive.

The Queen looked splendid in rose pink. She opened The Royal Children's Hospital's new building and delighted a huge crowd there and also where many more were waiting at Federation Square.
The Royal couple then rode a tram down to a State Luncheon at Government House and after all that flew over to Perth to be greeted by people there in the evening. I hope the meeting of CHOGM will be less taxing so that QEII and DofE can have a 'breather'. They are a remarkably fit couple - both in mind and body.

Last edited:
Thank you Marika86. Her Majestly looks resplendent in this shade of "candy floss" pink. The colour really does suit her. The style of the hat is particularly lovely. I do like the contrast of the pink coat against the white and pink floral dress. So very striking.

Last edited:
Her Majesty looks absolutely fabulous (as always). Very bright and cheery color and a radiant smile.

I saw the Queen today from a long way back still it was very exciting. My 3 year old grandson was very happy to see Prince William's grandma and grandpa
How precious!:)

Queen Elizabeth II thrills Melbourne as thousands turn out for royal tour | Herald Sun

It appears that HM has had another successful day down under. I do love the pictures of the Queen on the tram. :) However, the wording of this article got me thinking: is 'fans' really the right expression for people who turn out to see the Queen and the Duke? I'd have thought well-wishers was more appropriate
Love the pics of HM. on the tram, and at the children's hospital!
Those little ones are precious! Great "Granny "moment!:)
And love that outfit.... HM. looks simply radiant!:cool:

RoyalistRiley, thanks so much for the very insightful answer to my question. I must have heard about the referendum result previously in Queensland which is what made something in the back of my mind think it was more approving of the monarchy than other states.

The Queen looked wonderful in Melbourne yesterday, the weather looked so nice it really made me want to visit!

I heard an Aussie radio presenter who was there say that there were more people to see the Queen yesterday than for Oprah. Also that he had covered the visit of Charles and Diana to Melbourne just after they were married and that he felt that the number of people there yesterday was greater even than that. I'm sure HMQ is thrilled with the way she's been received.

Thank you Lumutqueen for this link. HM certainly seems to be getting about and enjoying herself too. Loved the photographs on the "Royal Tram" as they called it.

Last edited:
I love the blue outfit. She looks great.

Last edited:
RoyalistRiley, thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the speech. Her Majesty looked terrific, and I love the tiara she was wearing. She has a very regal and majestic presence, and so much grace and poise.

Now that the official visit by QEII is ending. It's obvious that at least a very large segment of the Australians were pleased to see her and that the reception she got was genuine and warm.

Can you Australians describe your connection or feelings towards QEII in particular and the BRF in general?
I mean, you have a head of state, who does not reside in Australia, who visit Australia every few years and whose family visit you every couple of years.
It's also my impression that Kate and William are very popular, not that sure about the PoW though.
Why did the Australians turn up in such large numbers in order to welcome QEII? Why did you?
Was it genuine loyalty towards your Monarch? Loyalty towards QEII personally? A novelty effect? A kind of pack mentality, where everybody is going? Was it, to put it cynically, a kind of celebrity effect? Or more omnious, a last farewell?

This is so much about emotions and I know how difficult it is to put words on this. :)

Last edited:
For me it was loyalty towards QEII personally and the sense of occasion. I went with my daughter and two grandsons in Melbourne and it was a very moving feeling. The church bells were ringing as she moved among the people and everyone was in awe of her and there was I think genuine love for our Queen. I really don't think the general public care for Charles and wouldn't turn out for him. William being Dianna's son would and does have the public support. What happens in the coming years who can say but I don't think the prince of wales will become the king of Australia. Which is sad for me as I would love to continue with a monarchy my hope rests with William and Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom