Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: Visit to Australia - October 19-29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that in today's world a curtsey is intended as a mark of respect, not as a representation of female 'inferiorness'. While I believe that the Prime Minister should have bowed even if it is optional, I do think we should all agree to disagree and move on - this is a truly wonderful tour and we should all be happy that the Queen is even here.

I would think that in today's world a curtsey is intended as a mark of respect, not as a representation of female 'inferiorness'. While I believe that the Prime Minister should have bowed even if it is optional, I do think we should all agree to disagree and move on - this is a truly wonderful tour and we should all be happy that the Queen is even here.
Too true. At 85 she is a remarkable woman - I guess we should all takes the positives out of the tour - even myself !!!

Australian PM Julia Gillard still can't manage a curtsey for the Queen | Mail Online

Don't know if these pics have been posted before, but a good read none-the-less. In response to above comments re Julia Gillard, curtsey or no-curtsey, she still should have sung the "God Save The Queen". But she had her mouth zipped :unsure:

I was also suprised that no one sang along to God Save the Queen - I'm a teenager with no connection to Britain whatsoever and I know the words, so Julia Gillard and the rest have no excuse. Like it or lump it, she's still our Queen

Yes she is still our Queen but that does not mean we have to sing another countries national anthem,

It's called the Royal Anthem here and is used on Remembrance Day in addition to O CANADA.

It's called the Royal Anthem here and is used on Remembrance Day in addition to O CANADA.

Quite so. It's observed as the Royal Anthem here in Australia also. Though evidently there are those who are unaware that that is it's actual function when played.

Last edited:
Exactly - when she is here it is appropriate to have the royal anthem played and for Australians to actually sing it.

In the same proclamation that Sir Ninian Stephen made in 1984 to establish Advance Australia Fair as the national anthem he proclaimed God Save the Queen as the Royal Anthem to be played/sung whenever the monarch or the monarch's representative is present in Australia.

The Queen in Australia: Julia Gillard fails to curtsey - TNT Magazine
Just like when Paul Keating dared to place his dirty convict mitt on Queen Elizabeth's royal back in 1992, another Australian leader has failed to adhere to protocol when dealing with her maj.
Today it was Julia Gillard. Failing to remember that the Queen is a living deity and therefore better than every other human being on the planet, Gillard refused to curtsey (gasp!) before the 85-year-old monarch in Canberra.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69007805@N03/sets/72157627839995789/

A link to my Flickr stream where I have posted pictures of the royal visit to South Bank in Brisbane. My apologies, they are not the world's best pictures, but I tried amid the crush of people. It was very chaotic - I was originally right near the front of the barriers but got pushed back by small children, umbrellas and women's handbags. Nevertheless it was a real joy to see HM in person for the first time in my life - she is the most healthy looking 85yr old I have ever seen and she is just as short as she looks on TV.

Last edited:
RoyalistRiley said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69007805@N03/sets/72157627839995789/

A link to my Flickr stream where I have posted pictures of the royal visit to South Bank in Brisbane. My apologies, they are not the world's best pictures, but I tried amid the crush of people. It was very chaotic - I was originally right near the front of the barriers but got pushed back by small children, umbrellas and women's handbags. Nevertheless it was a real joy to see HM in person for the first time in my life - she is the most healthy looking 85yr old I have ever seen and she is just as short as she looks on TV.

I just arrived home but I second RoyalistRiley's comments on it being chaotic, extremely so. I wasn't able to get (usable) pictures of Her Majesty but I have a video of her disembarking the ferry when I was near the dock. I tried running to her other locations but she's quite a quick walker! I'll post experience and video a little later. Still an enjoyable day and I'm glad I got to see the Queen in person.

I'm just now watching my recorded News Special from Channel 9 only sadly. What's his name made about 10 mistakes just a few minutes in, I really don't know why they pay these people to spit out random half-truths... :erm:

Two photo galleries of today's visit to Brisbane

Queen Elizabeth II visits Brisbane

Queen arrives | The Queen visits Brisbane | Courier Mail

It was truly something to see the Queen today - if only for a moment - and I am sure the 40,000 who turned out in Brisbane will never forget it either.

I also had the same problem as American Dane in trying to keep up with the Queen's movements. I was disappointed there was no way to get near the opening of Rain Bank where HM spoke from the area near the Wheel of Brisbane where the walkabout took place. I would have loved to hear it live.

Last edited:
The brooch today on the lovely mint coat is one which belonged to the late Queen Mother and is in the style of a beautiful paisly in diamonds - a particularly pretty example!

Queen in Queensland - a set on Flickr

Wow! Despite the huge crowds, you were still able to get very decent shots. It does appear to be a little on the chaotic side, but it's a great memory nonetheless. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and experience. Her Majesty looks fabulous, as always.

I just arrived home but I second RoyalistRiley's comments on it being chaotic, extremely so. I wasn't able to get (usable) pictures of Her Majesty but I have a video of her disembarking the ferry when I was near the dock. I tried running to her other locations but she's quite a quick walker! I'll post experience and video a little later. Still an enjoyable day and I'm glad I got to see the Queen in person.

Looking forward to your video and account. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Two photo galleries of today's visit to Brisbane

Queen Elizabeth II visits Brisbane

Queen arrives | The Queen visits Brisbane | Courier Mail

It was truly something to see the Queen today - if only for a moment - and I am sure the 40,000 who turned out in Brisbane will never forget it either.

I also had the same problem as American Dane in trying to keep up with the Queen's movements. I was disappointed there was no way to get near the opening of Rain Bank where HM spoke from the area near the Wheel of Brisbane where the walkabout took place. I would have loved to hear it live.

:previous: I noticed most of the crowd I stood with were either old enough to remember the Queen's visit in 1963 and thus this was a second coming for them, or those who might seem too young to remember now but will surely cherish the memory of their grandparents and parents bringing them to see history. I know I won't forget it.

I apologise for the pictures and video links taking so long, I didn't realise how big they were. :flowers: Please forgive my ImageShack ignorance, if you have any trouble opening pictures or videos let me know.

Queen's Visit to Brisbane 2011

First three "images" are videos so watch those where the Queen arrives to cheering.

------------------------
In terms of experience: Compared to other royal visits I've come by and seen, I'll admit I was a bit disappointed by how few people actually got to see the Queen. My friends and I arrived at 9am for her ferry ride to begin at 11:30am but there were people there from 6am! We spoke with a few older women who kindly offered us extra water in the blazing sun and humidity (I had forgotten how humid Queensland can get).

The Queen was fashionably late. Haha I heard one mother say to her son about misunderstanding when the Queen arrive as "I'm more likely to get the time wrong than an HRH". That cracked me up that even given the weather, etc. the Queen could do no wrong.

We spent the most time waiting for the ferry and after getting only a video on her arriving, I tried running to a spot where I had thought she would walk past. As RoyalistRiley said before it was incredibly chaotic and I feel that the information given by the Government wasn't great. Most of the things she was "supposed to do", she didn't i.e. walk-about. I always ended up being two steps behind her, always missing where she just was. Either she's as fast as the Flash, or her schedule wasn't my schedule...

All in all, it was fun, and I'm probably most happy to see those my grandparents age getting to see their Queen in what is probably her last visit or theirs. There was no question Queensland was excited to see her. I heard 40,000 were there which is believable. As a woman who stood next to me said, "No one can say we're not a monarchist country now, can they?" :lol:

Last edited:
HMQ seems to be having a wonderful time on her trip. From some of the pictures it would seem several thousand people turned out to see her. Anyone any idea how many there were?

HMQ seems to be having a wonderful time on her trip. From some of the pictures it would seem several thousand people turned out to see her. Anyone any idea how many there were?

We were told 40,000 people.

American Dane, thank you so much for sharing your pictures and videos.

The Queen has worn the diamond Jardine star for her visit today to The War Memorial, Canberra.

The Queen is marvellous for her age but no one has mentioned Prince Philip, he looks amazing for his age.

We were told 40,000 people.

It was revised upward to 45,000 in this morning's papers. One of my Canadian friends who kept spamming my Facebook posts about the visit with republican comments said that people only went to see the Queen because she is a 'celebrity', but I don't know many movie stars or even politicians who would draw that type of crowd on a work and school day.

I was also disappointed like American Dane that the Queen didn't meet many people. During the 'walkabout' which was really just a walk, the Queen only met the small children who had been plucked from the other side of the barriers to give her flowers. Everyone else had to surge towards the barriers in the hope of seeing her.

But I suppose I shouldn't complain - seeing the Queen in person means I can tick another item off the bucket list :)

:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
I am so extremely excited!!
It is my Birthday tomorrow (26/10) & I am going to see her Majesty Queen Elizabeth in my hometown!!!! (Melbourne)
...I'm a very happy Royal Watcher now!:lol:

Please join the Group on Queen Elizabeth II to share your ideas, photos and discussion about this most remarkable woman. :)

Julia Gillard curtsy row dismissed as 'storm in a royal teacup' by Queen - Telegraph

The prime minister's greeting incensed some quarters of the Australia media, and many monarchists, who accused Ms Gillard of offensive behaviour and embarrassing the nation.

However, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said the Queen was happy with Ms Gillard's choice.

Very deft handling of the matter by BP. Shows the Queen as relaxed and not stuffy, makes Gillard look like she needs the odd lesson or two in basic respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom