Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Turkey - May 13-16, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Queens day outfit. That bright lime green against the black is so different for her. Not crazy about the gown though.

I like the day outfit -- looks very tasteful, though I wonder about the wisdom of wearing black in such a sunny location! :)

I like the gown...but then again, I have a thing about grapes...

She looks fantastic in the black and lime suit, as always, her hat is impeccable. Unfortunantly, the same cannot be said for her gown at the dinner. First, I just do not like that ruby swag necklace; it looked dated to me. Second, the tiara is not quite right, and the ruby order disappears in the pattern of the dress .Not her best look at all.

I love the Queens day outfit. That bright lime green against the black is so different for her. Not crazy about the gown though.

I liked the day outfit too. The gown was okay, but I really didn't like the face in the wall behind her! It was like Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

The Queen's day outfit was gorgeous.. She look a lil bit younger.. hohoho... Btw, I hate the gown, and also the necklace. The necklace design is really awful for me. In the other hand, the First Lady gown is beautiful. I love the color.

I liked the day outfit too. The gown was okay, but I really didn't like the face in the wall behind her! It was like Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

OMG I laughed out loud when I read this post. How true, how true, how true. Great comparison!

The day suit looked great, but I am afarid I am no fan of the evening gown HM wore last night. I also think the way the gown was designd, it disguised the brooches HM wore last night

Her Majesty looked great during the day but the evening dress was woeful, and has no one explained to His Excellency how to wear the star of the Bath and where did he get that awful bowtie- does black tie not mean black??

Yes, her day wear is stunning and her evening clothes just awful. Whomever designs her gown, makes everthing look the same. White sacks, this one with too much junk. The necklace goes with nothing she has on. She should have skipped it.

Holy Schnikies! 82 and STILL traveling! Hats off to you Madam! :flowers:

Ma'am, I love you but I suggest you call Danny La Rue and send the dress back. The Queen looks pure drag. Massive tiara, tacky bauble bracelet, a wierd necklace that looks like it's come from Billie's at Brighton and a frock that'd make Dame Edna look under-dressed. Big mistake here. The day outfits have all been lovely but I can't help but think HM looks like she's going to burst into a chorus of "Life is a Cabaret" in that fruit motif frock. All she needed was the false eyelashes.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Why was there controversy that the presidents wife wore an Islamic headscarf? (BBC photo caption)

2. I was under the impression that alcohol was forbidden in the Islamic religion, yet it appeared to be served at the state dinner, and both the Queen and the presidents wife were hoisting a glass!

She is doing a great job. But, my mother is 93, still travels on her own, without 50 people carrying and doing things and just showing up. Her evening clothes are a lot better, too.

1. Why was there controversy that the presidents wife wore an Islamic headscarf? (BBC photo caption)

Turkey is a very secular country (at least compared to other countries that are predominantly Muslim), and the headscarf is seen as a political statement. She was even refused admittance to university many years ago because of it. Top military leaders (who see it as their duty to preserve secularism) typically refuse to attend events where she is present.

2. I was under the impression that alcohol was forbidden in the Islamic religion, yet it appeared to be served at the state dinner, and both the Queen and the presidents wife were hoisting a glass!

I would imagine that that too is due to Turkey's secular nature.

Yes, her day wear is stunning and her evening clothes just awful. Whomever designs her gown, makes everthing look the same. White sacks, this one with too much junk. The necklace goes with nothing she has on. She should have skipped it.

There is a story behind the dress. No need to be so negative. Hello has some interesting notations about the reason for the dress.

This has now been responded to by wbenson. I think Mrs Gul's evening outfit looked lovely, cleverly combining her head covering with her pretty gown.

We see the glass, but we don't know what's in it.

There is a story behind the dress. No need to be so negative. Hello has some interesting notations about the reason for the dress.

Whatever the reason for the dress, it looks shapeless to me, and I think the choice of pattern was odd. For one thing I'd have put the pattern over the right breast so there was a white spot for the medal or order or whatever it is to be placed. Some cleverly draped fabric would add interest to that very simple style of dress, too. I would prefer more interesting lines and less pattern. And I don't think the straight lines of the tiara match the rounded lines of the necklace, either. Yes, I know she's 82 and I'm being very critical, and of course it is only my opinion, but HM's day outfits are so very smart these days, and I expect her to look at least as good at night, especially with all the resources available to her.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth , Turkish President Abdullah Gul and his wife Hayrunnisa Gul are pictured during a dinner at the Presidential Palace in Ankara May 13, 2008.
BelgaPicture - Category details
The evening gown is OK, better than some older ladies tend to dress in. The Tiara appears to have been secured too far forward and at the wrong angle. :flowers:

I am from Turkey & I will tell everything to you!:flowers:

1. It's a personal choice to wear headscarf! She can wear or not.It is a choice & lots of Turk women do not wear it. Turkey is NOT an Islamic country. Turkey is the only LAIC(SECULAR) moslem country. We do not think everything for Islam. Turkey is like a European country ,not like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

2. Like I said before Turkey is laic, not Islamic & everyone can drink alcohol when & where they want!:flowers:

Last edited:
Turkey is a very secular country (at least compared to other countries that are predominantly Muslim), and the headscarf is seen as a political statement. She was even refused admittance to university many years ago because of it. Top military leaders (who see it as their duty to preserve secularism) typically refuse to attend events where she is present.

I would imagine that that too is due to Turkey's secular nature.

Yes, my country Turkey is very secular country(laic country), she was refused from university because of wearing it! It is a personal choice to wear it, but Turkey is laic & we do not allow somethings to protect laic & modern Turkey! In universities girls can not wear it!

Everybody can drink alcohol when & where they want in Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom