Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to the USA - May 3-8, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some photos of the Queen at Goddard Space Flight Center. My husband is on a Goddard mailing list, and one of the other people on the list took some really impressive photos of the Queen and forwarded them to the other list members. I e-mailed the photographer to ask for permission to post the photos here, and she very kindly said "Feel free."

Courtesy of Valerie Potter, Goddard Space Flight Center, and posted with permission:

Queen_2.jpg

Queen_1.jpg

Queen_3.jpg

Last edited:
The Queen looks excedingly well. I always liked the way her mother and her dressed. These fresh colours makes her looks younger and jolly.

Vanesa.:)

Elspeth,
Thank you for posting the wonderful pictures of QEII visiting the Goddard Space Flight Center. She looks fantastic!

She really does, doesn't she? Especially when she was just inches away from all those cameras. It's sort of funny how the Queen Mother was a professional granny when she was 10 years younger than the Queen is now, but the Queen is still pretty much carrying on in the way she's been doing for years.

Elspeth the pics are great! I work literally 8 minutes from Goddard (pass it every day going home) but I got a new gig and didn't get the opportunity to try to catch the Queen and Duke in any of their travels(Jamestown and DC).

I don't think the new boss would have appreciated a leave request stating THE QUEEN IS IN TOWN AND I MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING DAYS OFF:flowers:

Thanks to all who posted pics!

I'm wondering if perhaps the Queen is having back trouble again. When she arrived at the dinner, there was a limo with her standard on it, but she arrived in a large black SUV, and all of the subsequent trips she made were in the SUV, which I think would be easier for her to get out of, since she wouldn't have to nearly double over to get out.

I have to say that she is looking in great form. And I LOVE the most recent hat with the pink flowers. Beautiful.

I love the Queen's outfit, and her hats are always beautiful (she makes me want to wear hats like that, but alas, I live in a very small town where women wear baseball caps....... Anyway, love the pictures, she looks wonderful and that color is fantastic for her complexion--

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see the Queen taking an interest in science, or at least publicly supporting it; last year there was a quite successful Science at the Palace event where children were invited to Buckingham Palace to meet scientists and see the sort of things that they did, and now she and the Duke took time to go out to GSFC to have a look at what's going on there. Back in the early 1980s Margaret Thatcher visited Goddard, but I don't think Tony Blair's made much effort to do so; he seems to have about the same ideas about science that George Bush does. I'm glad the Queen and Duke are trying to fill the gap left by our clueless politicians.

As a footnote reference in regards on how well the Queen looks for a lady in her eight decade, she was born in 1926. Same as actress Marylin Monroe; President Fidel Castro; actors Jerry Lewis, Leslie Nielsen; Playboy mgazine creator Hugh Hefner; actor-director-producer Mel Brooks among others.

Last edited:
Those were absolutely beautiful photos of the Queen by Ms. Potter. Digital cameras are great to have, unless they are from her phone.

Last edited:
Oh how I wish I still had cable! Then I could've watched it all on CSPAN. I didn't know Robin Roberts & Elizabeth Hasselback would be there or I would've watched their shows today. (I guess if you routinely spout the party ideals daily on your national talk show like a good Bush Youth, you get invited to the State Dinner with the Queen.). Her Majesty did look stunning in the arrival ceremony. It's a very unusual look for her. And leave it to G.W. to embarass himself, and our nation by insulting the Queen about her age! <personal comment deleted - Elspeth> I wasn't too impressed with her outfit & jewels for the State Dinner though. I was hoping for some colored stones. I wonder if she'll wear the same jewels for the Recipricol Dinner or if she brought more.

Last edited:
re official protocol yesterday evening the bbc news showed the toast given by president bush and the queen and they showed and remarked that he sat down immediatly, leaving her standing alone and toasting. Amazing that in all these years, as the son of a president and as a president he has not learned a lot about protocol.
Stricktly speaking do not sit down before a woman does but in this case, what could have been more obvious, keep standing until she sits.

daisygoogles said:
Does anyone know if there is an official protocol when standing on the red carpet with the Queen?
Thanks in advance for any information

video of terra:

mms://stream2.terra.es/multimedia/video/actualidad/atlas/200705/A34.463FF671080507.wmv

Queen triumphs amid Bush gaffes

We will never know what the Queen really thinks of George W Bush

BBC NEWS | UK | Queen triumphs amid Bush gaffes

Queen teases Bush over date gaffe

The Queen has made a joke about US President George Bush's gaffe in which he nearly aged her by 200 years

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Queen teases Bush over date gaffe
-------------------------------------
I am slightly embarrassed to say that the BBC seems intent on pointing out one or two little errors that George Bush made. Does it really matter whether he almost said something, there was no disrespect meant by it, very many people have made similar mistakes without all the fuss.
--------------------------------
Elizabeth II leaves a longing in her wake

Americans got the royal treatment for 144 hours, give or take a few minutes. But it's all over. Queen Elizabeth II is gone, along with her beribboned hats, sensible pumps and kindly civility that commanded the attention of 700 dithering journalists, the White House and the citizenry itself.

Elizabeth II leaves a longing in her wake - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

Last edited:
The Queen showed she has a sense of humor. She was a true delight on her trip to the U.S. Thanks for the links. I love to read what media outside of the U.S. really think of Bush. Also, I would love to know what the Queen really thinks of Bush.

Last edited:
I watched several news headlines on the arrival speech, when President Bush made the wink to the Queen, Her Majesty shook her head and said something but i can not identify clearly what she said, anyone notice of that?

I don't think the Queen would have said anything rude or sarcastic to the President-and I don't think that he would be so familiar with the Queen if there were not some sort of friendship there. Also, regarding the toast, when I was watching C-Span and they showed all the other toasts made by Presidents to the Queen, after the toast the President would sit down, so I don't think he made the gaffe that everyone thinks he did. All eyes are supposed to be on the one making the toast, and if he were up there it might not have been so---also, her toast was longer than those she made in the past--she had a lot to say!

jcbcode99 said:
I don't think that he would be so familiar with the Queen if there were not some sort of friendship there. Also, regarding the toast, when I was watching C-Span and they showed all the other toasts made by Presidents to the Queen, after the toast the President would sit down,
I don't think there was any sort of special friendship, they barely know each other.
If George Bush was giving the toast, he should have remained standing. If HM was replying to the toast, he should not have sat down. :beamup:

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I watched several news headlines on the arrival speech, when President Bush made the wink to the Queen, Her Majesty shook her head and said something but i can not identify clearly what she said, anyone notice of that?

On UK TV news, if you listened hard you could just hear her say "Oh dear..."

Thanks GillW for helping out. It appears on the coverage that Her Majesty replied to the wink and i just heard Her Majesty said a word but i can not get what she said so just try to understand.

I thought both the President and First Lady behaved in a very gracious manner to ensure both HM and his HRH had a wonderful time while visiting Washington. And more importantly, they were made to truly feel welcome.

Let us focus on the fact that we had some light-hearted moments during her two days or so in Washington.
I for one loved the fact she and his HRH came to the U.S. and would be delighted and honored to have them back.

In peace to you all,

Nicole

I've done some housecleaning and removed several posts.
Let’s stay on topic in future.

Thank you for co-operation,
Avalon, British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Oh, dear or wrong year, both are equally funny.
Great article on that BBC link BBC NEWS | Americas | Washington diary: Royal jitters because it pointed out something I noticed too, the presence of the Queen must remind the President of his very own mother, Barbara Bush. Quite freudian when you think about it. :rolleyes:
The Queen was spectacular, not only she has received some great press coverage but she was everything people expected of her and more. But I also noticed the extraordinary resemblance she has with her grandmother, Queen Mary. That first photo of President Bush next to the Queen, in all her diamonds and tiara jeweled glory, is like seen a vintage photo of Queen Mary.

Last edited:
She's looking more and more like Queen Mary as she ages; you really can't see the resemblance when she was younger, but it's very obvious now, especially with the white hair.

one of her best pictures is this one, all smiles and in a relaxed moment with her Presidential host.

Elspeth said:
She's looking more and more like Queen Mary as she ages; you really can't see the resemblance when she was younger, but it's very obvious now, especially with the white hair.

From Queen Mary all I remember is seen pictures of her always in a serious and formal mood. Who knows, maybe Queen Elizabeth channels a little bit of her grandmother, Queen Mary, with a more relaxed approach to protocol. But she sure looks that she enjoyed her visit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom