Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to the USA - May 3-8, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw them on FOX News posing for pictures before the dinner. Laura looks beautiful!! I love her dress. The Queen looks fantastic as well. I lvoe being able to see royals on TV!!

We also know what Her Majesty carries in her purse.....her glasses and her speech. LOL

I think that The Queen looks fantastic in her outfit. I think that they were all made for that State Visit. I though that the State Dinner Speechs would aired on CNN but they weren't. Kinda sad. Anyways, I hope that The Queen has a wonderful time during these two final days of her State Visit.

I hope that the next time she crosses the Atlantic is to comme to Canada. :)

Her clothes on this trip have been quite stylish. I enjoyed the 'Lilly Pulitzer'-ish colors on her at the Derby and the black lace overlay outfit today at the white house.

The Queen looks great in her tiara and dress. The British will throw a dinner Tuesday. I wonder if that is white tie too.

I'll check if I can find pictures...
She did bring her tiara's and the whole stone collection, she looks great!
Bush nearly places Queen Elizabeth in 18th century
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Reuters) Updated: 2007-05-08 09:38
...You've helped our nation celebrate its bicentennial in 17 -- in 1976," Bush said. Bush looked at the queen sheepishly. She peered back at him from beneath her black and white hat. "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child," Bush said as the crowd burst into laughter... [/FONT]

Last edited:
As an American with great respect for the Queen and the democratic process, I have no clue how the president managed to turn a welcome speech into a "let's go war" speech, but I am not in the least bit surprised (insert sigh here). I must say though, I particularly liked HMs response to that one.

Nevertheless, while unfortunate the president has managed to embarass himself in front of the international press once again. I really think that he should practice his speeches first.

On another note, if anyone could point me in the direction of pictures from this evenings event, I would be grateful!

One thing I do like about the Bush administration (I won't go into politics any further) is Laura Bush, and her ability to be an excellent First Lady, and always look the part. She is stylish, and well put together, especcially for a woman her age.

I answered one of my own questions at least partially, which is where the pictures might be. Here is one, and I believe HM is wearing the girls of Great Britian and Ireland Tiara.

LadyK you are quite right about not turning this into politics. However HMs response and look at Bush was priceless. See here, last photo, at least until Fox changes photos. Otherwise it is available on AP.

She looks as though she's about to give him a good handbagging! Between that Look she gave Cheney the other day and now this, it seems as though she isn't having exactly the best time of her life this week.

Elspeth said:
She looks as though she's about to give him a good handbagging!

:bangin:

This, the smiley thingy above, is the mental image that I had reading that, Elspeth.

:lol:

that Look she gave Cheney the other day and now this,

Can one of those photos be the Picture of the Month? Forget the rest, the Cheney photo was priceless!

I just finished viewing the toasts on CSPAN, and I have to say that the Queen really gave a wonderfully supportive speech and even touched on the importance of freedom for all, necessities for war, and rebuilding countries. I enjoyed it (and the jewels!)

The First Lady was very elegantly dressed. Very feminine and wonderful details on her excellently fitting and cut dress.

Unfortunately I can not say the same for the absolutely fantasy-less choice of gown and jewels by Her Brittanic Majesty.

I think these days Her Britannic Majesty deals in reality, not fantasy.

What would you have preferred, Henri? I don't exactly understand what you mean...are you saying it was a boring look to you?

...perhaps she was being courteous to Mrs. Bush, who can't exactly out-glitz the queen in a tiara and Q. Mary's gems. LOL.

I have to disagree about Laura Bush, her dress was a little too fitted for a woman of her age and figure. :rolleyes: The JLo effect should be the preserve of younger women!

HM's frock was unexciting, but when you are in her position, you are free to go out of your way not to overwhelm your hosts.

Last edited:
Laura Bush was stunning IMO. Everything a First Lady should be. Stylish, elegant and courteous. The Queen, simple and understated dress-wise but the gems made up for it. The speech at the dinner was the main thing I paid attention to and personally I found it quite interesting. I agreed with some of the sentiment but there was, for me anyway, a slight hint of "administrations and governments may go but I'm the Queen and I'm here till I croak" about it.

CSPAN covered the State Dinner. The network aired the event again, and it included the Queen's speeches from other State Dinners, guests entering, and a former advisor to the First Lady. According to this article (White House welcomes British queen - Britain's Royal Family - MSNBC.com), Laura Bush wore an aqua creation by Oscar de la Renta with silver beading and rhinestones and a bolero jacket. I think she needed a necklace and the outfit would be an A. Without one, I give the First Lady a C. I was happy to see Nancy R. who was a true treat as a First Lady (which is a great thing to say, since I would never vote for the party).

In the same article, I was shocked to read this sentence:
Laura Bush insisted that the president was enthusiastic about wearing white tie and tails — though admittedly after being persuaded by his wife and secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, to elevate the dinner to that exalted level in the first place.

I am so glad Bush changed his mind because the Queen deserves the best.

video antena3 of the gala:

mms://a953.v59721.c5972.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/953/5974/3c99fd9f/wms.antena3tv.com:81/a3noticias/1/7/omnkp76145.wmv

wow- I'm watching Good Morning America (Robin Roberts was invited to the dinner) That tiara was absolutely stunning- stunning (in video). It just glittered. Which tiara was it?

They're showing her entering, and now presenting her toast- gosh, she is just stunning, and absolutely glittering- the tiara and necklace are just majestic.
Her dress also seems to have some glitter. That's all I can say about her- she is just majestic. What sash is she wearing? Is that the American order?

Peyton Manning (American Football star) was there too? huh. Interesting guest list.

Last edited by a moderator:
LadyK said:
wow- I'm watching Good Morning America (Robin Roberts was invited to the dinner)
That tiara was absolutely stunning- stunning (in video). It just glittered.

Which tiara was it?
It is the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, and the brooch on her sash was Queen Mary's lovers' knot bow.

protocol

Does anyone know if there is an official protocol when standing on the red carpet with the Queen?
Thanks in advance for any information

I thought the First Lady looked quite lovely (as she always does)--she could've used a necklace, I do agree-but anything she wore was just going to look insignificant next to Queen Mary's treasure trove that Her Majesty was wearing, so that could be why she went with "less is more". As for the Queen, she always looks appropriate to the event, but for those complaining about her "lackluster" attire---well, age has a way of doing that to a person. I was looking through a book about the Queen and saw her in those GLORIOUS gowns from the 50's and 60's (those Norman Hartnell gowns in particular) and she was so stunning, regal, elegant, classic and just beautiful. Now, she's much older and less inclined to go for the wow factor (and why should she--she's got all those diamonds to do that!) but I think she looked wonderful.

Here is a link to one of my favorite portraits of HM Queen Elizabeth II (in formal wear)
http://www.solarnavigator.net/embassies/embassies_images/Queen_Elizabeth_portrait_Canberra_head_of_state.jpg

but, it is hard to choose just one.

I wonder if the royal couple are glad that the trip is about done and they are heading home for some rest. That trip seemed like it was a full schedule leaving very little time for rest. I know even at my age I would welcome the end of the trip as I started home. She may need a vacation from such a long trip.

Prince of Chota said:
What would you have preferred, Henri? I don't exactly understand what you mean...are you saying it was a boring look to you?

...perhaps she was being courteous to Mrs. Bush, who can't exactly out-glitz the queen in a tiara and Q. Mary's gems. LOL.

With fantasy-less I mean that the Queen, for a State Visit to one of the most important nations in the world, and Britain's best friend, choose an old, dozens time seen ill-fitting, meaningless gown with the (not-surprising) Girls of Great Britain Diademe.

That is what I mean with fantasy-less. In that sense Mrs. Bush did far better work with her elegant Oscar de la Renta evening gown. This is not the first time. Where her French hosts received La Reine with all possible pomp and circumstance at the Palais de l'Elysée, the always impeccable and also over 70 years old Première Dame, Madame Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel managed it to outshine the Queen. Without any jewel, but with an eye-catching flaming red gown of fantastic cut and a prefect révérence at the Cour d'Honneur.

That is what I meant with fantasy-less. "Ah... let me wear that formless table-cloth. It does not matter: the glitz of the diamonds will compensate for it". Well, Ma'am: it does not work that way. Not for me.

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed in the Queen's gown. Although I know she's an older lady and can't wear the beautiful dresses of the 1950s, I would have liked to have seen her in something with more of waist, or more color, in the evening. (But I did like her choice of the tiara, and I loved her suit earlier in the day.)

Mrs. Bush looked wonderful, but I think she's a lovely lady, anyway.

And I just don't know what to say about the President's speech. :) (Probably a good thing I wasn't there!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom