Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - May 17-20, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.

I echo your comments ;)

HM and PP are very brave. If I had only half of their constitution...

Both HM and the President are spot on in the fashion. If you look carefully, in the third photo, looks like HM has that most current fashionable bias drape to the dress beneath her coat.

Where do they get their energy?

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, President Mary Mc Aleese meeting with AnTaoiseach Enda Kenny at Aras An Uachtarain while on the first day of their State Visit to Ireland .
May 17, 2011

PPE Agency Ireland

Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh are currently visiting Trinity College in Central Dublin.

The Queen & Duke have just viewed the famous Book of Kells .

Youtube footage from earlier today
AssociatedPress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkq0wY2tifM

Last edited:
I loved hm look this morning, nice look for her, in keeping with the green theme I would love to see the Greville Emeralds tonight! ;)

Where can I find hourly program of the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in Ireland?

HM and PP are very brave. If I had only half of their constitution...

Both HM and the President are spot on in the fashion. If you look carefully, in the third photo, looks like HM has that most current fashionable bias drape to the dress beneath her coat.

Where do they get their energy?

I agree with everything you say. As to the Royals and their energy, I had the privilege of sitting just along from the Queen and Prince Philip on Sunday afternoon at the Royal Windsor Horse Show. Despite the fact that HM is 85 and PP is nearly 90, the Royal Couple climbed up and down the [temporary] stairs in the stand several times quite briskly; in fact I saw the Queen only use the bannisters once, when she put out a hand for a couple of seconds. No sticks or other walking aids were used - and this is for a couple who is 25 years past the official retiring age!

Regarding the Queen's fashion, so far as I could see, she was dressed in the same fashionable bias cut dress both on Saturday [Pink] and Sunday [Green]. Both dresses were cut from lightweight wool and were accessorised with the Queen's 3-strand pearl necklace and complemented by exactly-coloured matching hats. Although there are not usually announcements about what the Queen is wearing at 'private' events like on Saturday and Sunday, I believe most of HM's wardrobe is now referred to as 'Designed in-house', which generally means by her dresser Angela Kelly, who indeed is sometimes actually named. I am not a fashion expert but do think that the Queen's dressing has become quite delightful in recent years - whilst they were alive, the Queen was dressed mostly by the London couturiers Norman Hartnell, Hardy Amies and his assistant Ken Fleetwood and Ian Thomas [originally from the house of Hartnell]; although always 'correctly turned out' by these gentlement, HM seems to look even better nowadays. [I do think it is a hard task for anyone to dress the Queen; she can't look too fashionable in one sense [if only because it makes photos 'date' so much more easily], she always has to 'stand out', so bright colours are essentially, and she also has to be careful not to look 'too extravagant' in these recessionary times. I think her current 'working wardrobe' fulfills these requirements very well.

I loved hm look this morning, nice look for her, in keeping with the green theme I would love to see the Greville Emeralds tonight! ;)

Her Majesty is having a quiet night tonight,The State Dinner is tomorrow night at Dublin Castle.

Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.

Just glancing at their itinerary for Day 2 they have my admiration. I'll be interested to see if they sample a Guinness in the morning it might help sustain them throughout the rest of the day.

I personally hope that this visit will enable the bridge building to continue between the two countries & that both "sides" can respect the memory of those who died in the conflicts.

The visit to Ireland is going excellently, It is certainly time to heal old wounds and see reconciliation between Ireland and the UK. It was brave and wise move on behalf of the Queen, Despite security threats it has gone well.

Love her two outfits today.

QE looked lovely today on her trip.

This is a day I never thought I would live to see. I had goose bumps during Both national anthems in the garden of rememberance. I am touched and moved by the respectful was the Queen and the presedent behaved. Historically this is huge. We are finally going forward while The Queen is showing respect to our past. She seems warm and relaxed, this seems to mean as much to her as it does to the people of this counrty. It is a shame it has taken so long as I think this is a country she would have loved to have spent private time but she can be proud that it has taken place during her reign.

I understand that the basic reaction of Irish people to the visit was positive one.Some are very enthuasiastic,the others are indifferent and just a minority protested against it and had a trouble with police.
I think HM made a very wise step towards reconcilliation and decided to move on and contribute to the billateral future projects and not to dwell on the past(even very tragic one).When I saw her on TV,I've observed the reciprocal enthusiasm among two nations.

I was in Dublin city centre today and I have never seen anything like it. Saddly due to a minority this cannot be treated as a normal state occasion,like for Obama next week, where we will give him 100000 welcomes. But anyone I have spoken to from all ages and back grounds are delighted the Queen is in our counrty. And as I said before showing respect in the garden of rememberance and tomorrow in Croke Park is huge. I do not expect an apology as Tony Blair did for the famine but the fact the she is showing respect in such places is huge. And we are very greatful.

As a huge admirer of the Queen, and as a descendent of the Mayocks of County Mayo and the Cosgroves of County Cork (we think,it may be Kilkenny), I hope this visit will be the beginning of a new era in the relations between England and Ireland. All people everywhere need to look forward with the lessons of the past behind them.

Her Majesty is having a quiet night tonight,The State Dinner is tomorrow night at Dublin Castle.

Thanks for that, then I hope to see the Greville Emeralds tomorrow!:)

Republic of Ireland visit, is this the first visit by the Queen?

Am very interested in the Queen's state visit to the Republic of Ireland. I know this is the first state visit by a British monarch to the country since independence, but I am curious to know, has the Queen ever been to the Irish Republic before as a private person? What about other members of the Royal Family?

I know she's visited Northern Ireland before, but am curious about the republic. It seems to crazy that a country so close, esp. with all that British heritage, that she has never visited if that's the case. I know there's loads of history though.

Am very interested in the Queen's state visit to the Republic of Ireland. I know this is the first state visit by a British monarch to the country since independence, but I am curious to know, has the Queen ever been to the Irish Republic before as a private person? What about other members of the Royal Family?

I know she's visited Northern Ireland before, but am curious about the republic. It seems to crazy that a country so close, esp. with all that British heritage, that she has never visited if that's the case. I know there's loads of history though.

No,HM never visited Ireland before.As a rule,a Monarch can not visit a country privately without having been on a State Visit there first.And that most certainly goes for this visit.

Today was the first day in my life that I've been disappointed in the Queen as my head of state. She chose to lay a wreath at the 'Garden of Remembrance' which will have been very upsetting for many of her most loyal subjects here in Northern Ireland. The men commemorated there were trying to deny people like me and my family my British identity, thank God on this part of the island at least they failed.

I know these events are planned for the Queen by the government but I had hoped that she would refuse. I am very deeply disappointed that she did not.

Whilst a Queen has some say in these matters, her agenda (and the trip to Ireland) is set by the government.

Thanks for that, then I hope to see the Greville Emeralds tomorrow!:)

And in the Majestic Setting of Dublin Castle!

Her Majesty The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh have a full itinerary today & tonight.

I hope the rains stays away.

To give a bit of background information to supplement the above, yes, this is the first visit that the Queen has made to the Republic, but I have been told by several racehorse trainers on a good number of occasions that the Queen has wanted to visit Ireland for ages - she has had a lot of 'private' invitations to visit stables and studs, not to mention race meetings. Obviously because of political difficulties she has not been able to do so up to now, but I would not be surprised that, if the State Visit is judged a success,she will indeed make future private visits in order to 'take up' all these invitations.

And yes, I do understand where EIIR and others who have posted in a similar tone are coming from, but at the end of the day I have 'come to terms with this' by taking on board that as the Queen herself was the victim of The Troubles in that Lord Mountbatten was assasinated in a terrorist attack but can find it in her heart to forgive, then I presume that I as a subject must move forward too in a spirit of reconciliation.

Incidentally, was it just me, but watching the news yesterday I thought that I saw one or two people introduced to HM in a line-up actually make small bows of acknowlegement?

Hope some of this helps,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom