Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - May 17-20, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Irish weather seems to behaving itself Grace Chic,its cool but sunny !
Yes thank God weather held off nicely.

I am very touched by both speeches tonight. The Queen went much further then I thought. So far this visit has been a huge success and like John Major has said it will be seen as one of the most important of her reign

I have to see it is a lovely gesture of QEII to lay wreathes in Ireland. I feel it shows how far the two countries have moved on and a lot of respect for the people of southern Ireland. However I feel it would be a positive thing if the Irish reciprocated with a similar state visit laying wreathes at the British memorials.

As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online

who represents the "vast majority" of the Irish people ?...certainly NOT an UNELECTED Mary Mc Aleese from Belfast, whish is incidentally a British city :whistling::whistling::bang::bang:

It's a very historic day and I have enjoyed seeing the arrival of the Queen and seeing the Irish President, two women who I very much admire. For me it is interesting to see how a state visit is performed in Ireland and although it has been a grand and impressive welcome, the visit looks like it will be a great success.

mmm...members of the general public , never mind protesters, kepy 30 mile away from them. Im sure it was the only "emty" capital city she has ever visited.

PPE agency has a gallery of pictures form May 18 form various visits the couple made (does not include the banquet dinner)
See here for pictures

and tons of pictures from yesterdays dinner + day events can be found here

Last edited:
I agree with Kataryn - the Queen's visit is about building bridges, and she has acquitted herself very well !

Of course there will always be people who want to perpetuate past issues.

The reality for "ordinary people" is that the two islands of Ireland and Great Britain are able to cooperate with one another.

as I am nether English, British nor Irish or Scottish or Welsh, i cannot see any Problem with beeing whatever. I'm Swiss - in our country ary living people talking Italian, French, German and Räterromantsch ... and we are all Swiss.

At one point in history the German part of Switzerland dominated and "koloniesed" the italian part of the contry .... but that's long ago, and no more bad feelings are hourbored about that ... Why is it so difficult to move on?

Politics could hardly have been avoided on this state visit, laying the wreath at the Garden was a beautiful simplistic gesture. The visit is designed to heal old wounds between the countries.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes I am too quick with my comments.

19-05-2011 Ireland Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, at the National Stud in Kildare on their State Visit to Ireland where they were greeted by Ms. Chryss O' Reilly, Chair of the Board of the Irish National Stud.

PPE agency picture gallery

Daylife picture gallery

Last edited:
To night The Queen and Duke are at a fashion show and concert in Dublin city. My friend has been invited very very jealous

To see the Irish Stud must have been heaven for QE - she is very knowledgeable about horses and has her own stable.
On these occasions it's nice to see her in wellington boots and a headscarf. She has a large collection of these....

http://www.irish-national-stud.ie/

Last edited:
Queen to visit Cashel, Cork to end Irish trip

Queen Elizabeth II plans to visit the medieval Rock of Cashel, an old English Market in Cork and a high-tech research facility ...
Full article here

I have been truly delighted by Her Majestys visit to my city.

She has shown nothing but warmth in her visit, she has shown to have a genuine rapport with our President and she seems to be genuinely enjoying herself on her first state visit (hopefully not her last).

Her speech on Wednesday night at the banquet was truly wonderful, I nearly shed a tear listening to it, and her attendance at both the Gardens of Remembrance and the National War Memorial Gardens. It has been so positively received by 99.99% of our population.

A teeny tiny amount of scumbags have tried to disrupt the visit, but the public can't stand them. And to be honest yes the traffic disruption was intense in the city, but we all put up with it and didnt really mind as long as Her Majesty was kept safe. That was the underlying feeling, we all knew some scumbag would try and do something for publicity and we all wanted the Gardai to protect her.

Unfortunately we did not get to see much of her in person as a result, but we are all glad she is safe, and that she is having a good time here.

It has been a monumentous week for British and Irish relations and if I were ever to meet Her Majesty I would bow low out of respect for all that she has done this week.

And she looked amazing too :)

She actually did visit Ireland in 1938 when she was very young and obviously not the Queen at that stage, it was a private holiday to Cork, Waterford and Wexford with the Fermoy family and he sister and governess. I believe there is just one photo in the public domain of that visit taken in a pub in Co. Wexford!

What a success this visit seems to have been. My full admiration & appreciation to HM & the Duke along with the thoughtfulness of their Irish hosts. :shamrock:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II meeting students from Cashel Community School at St Patricks Rock, Cashel while on the fourth and last day of State Visit to Ireland.
May 20, 2011

PPE Agency Ireland

It is interesting that the Queen's last day she is wearing Kelly green again.
Nice touch.:flowers:

Being a Kelly myself, I highly approve!

There have been so many "firsts" on this visit, one can hardly name them all.

The ones which stand out for me are:
The first wreath laying
The address in Gaelic
The handshake with a Sinn Fein politician
The colour Green
... And much more...

Queen Elizabeth Visiting Ireland.

During her visiting to Ireland Queen Elizabeth II
The Queen watches Riverdance, Westlife and The Chieftains at Irish music concert.

The event, hosted by the British Embassy to thank Irish President Mary McAleese for inviting the Queen on the historic state visit, featured performances by Irish boy band Westlife, X-Factor finalist Mary Byrne, The Chieftains and dancing from the world famous Riverdance.

The 45-minute concert was also broadcast live on Irish television.

FOR MOR INFORMATION : Video: The Queen watches Riverdance, Westlife and The Chieftains at Irish music concert - Telegraph

It was truly amazing!
The response of the Irish nation towards Her Majesty has been amazing. I am so proud of us for extending such a warm welcome to the royal couple, and I am delighted to hear that they thoroughly enjoyed their time with us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom